Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: Evidence Shows Musk
Knew About Self-Driving Issues
Nov 22, 2023 12:45 PM CST
Judge: Evidence Shows Musk Knew About Self-Driving Issues
Lawsuit over deadly 2019 crash will proceed to trial with claim for punitive damages
- In what could be a major setback for Tesla, a Florida judge has ruled that a lawsuit over a deadly 2019 crash north of Miami can go to trial with a claim for punitive damages. Judge Reid Scott in the Circuit Court for Palm Beach County said there was "...
Amid Safety Issues
With Self-Driving Cars,
CEO of Cruise Resigns
Nov 20, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Amid Safety Issues With Self-Driving Cars, CEO of Cruise Resigns
Kyle Vogt steps down after DMV revokes license, GM recalls vehicles
- Kyle Vogt has resigned as CEO of Cruise, General Motors' autonomous vehicle unit, as questions build about the safety of self-driving cars, the AP reports. Vogt's decision to step down, announced late Sunday, follows a recent recall of all 950 Cruise vehicles to update software after one of them...
Cruise's Driverless Taxis
Oct 25, 2023 1:20 AM CDT
California Suspends Cruise's Driverless Taxis
Robotaxis have become increasingly controversial in the state
- After a series of incidents involving Cruise robotaxis, California has decided to halt their operation in the state effective immediately. Cruise is one of two companies (the other is Waymo, owned by Google's parent company) with driverless taxi fleets in California; the suspension order issued by the state's...
GM's Cruise Division Under
Scrutiny in Pedestrian Injuries
Oct 17, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
GM's Cruise Division Under Scrutiny in Pedestrian Injuries
NHTSA launches inquiry after pair of reports
- Tesla isn't the only automaker getting bad press over its self-driving vehicles. US regulators are investigating General Motors' Cruise autonomous vehicle division after receiving reports of incidents where vehicles may not have used proper caution around pedestrians in roadways, per the AP . The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says...
SF Officials Say Robotaxis
Contributed to Person's Death
Sep 6, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
SF Officials Say Robotaxis Contributed to Person's Death
Protests followed San Francisco Fire Department's report
- Protesters gathered at the San Francisco headquarters of robotaxi company Cruise Monday after claims came out that two of the company's self-driving vehicles contributed to a person's death last month. The San Francisco Fire Department released a report last week regarding the August 14 incident, in which an...
Robotaxis Allowed to
Expand Services in
Aug 11, 2023 4:46 AM CDT
Robotaxis Allowed to Expand Services in San Francisco
State commission gives 2 rival services the green light
- California regulators on Thursday approved an expansion that will allow two rival robotaxi services to operate throughout San Francisco at all hours, despite safety worries spurred by recurring problems with unexpected stops and other erratic behavior that resulted in unmanned vehicles blocking traffic, including emergency vehicles. The state's Public...
Jun 11, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Tesla Autopilot Crashes Way More Common Than Thought
'Washington Post' counts 736, including at least 17 fatalities
- Tesla's Autopilot technology, intended to enhance driver safety and convenience, is under scrutiny due to growing concerns about the interaction between the system and drivers. In the last four years, there have been 736 car accidents in which one of the vehicles was a Tesla on Autopilot, reports the...
Tesla Reluctantly Recalls
363K 'Full Self-Driving' Cars
Feb 16, 2023 4:45 PM CST
Tesla Reluctantly Recalls 363K 'Full Self-Driving' Cars
Musk argues government agency's assessment on Twitter
- US safety regulators have pressured Tesla into recalling nearly 363,000 vehicles with its "Full Self-Driving" system because it misbehaves around intersections and doesn't always follow speed limits. The recall, part of a larger investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into Tesla's automated driving systems,...
Mystery of Fatal Tesla Crash
With No Driver Is Solved
Feb 9, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Mystery of Fatal Tesla Crash With No Driver Is Solved
NTSB report finds that Autopilot was not in use after all in 2021 crash
- Authorities say they know why no one was in the driver's seat when a Tesla Model S crashed in 2021, killing the two men inside, and it's
the reason initially believed. Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board determined that the driver moved into the back seat...
This City's Self-Driving Cars Are
Causing Oodles of 911 Calls
Jan 31, 2023 1:55 PM CST
This City's Self-Driving Cars Are Causing Oodles of 911 Calls
San Francisco logged nearly 100 emergency calls about autonomous cars in second half of 2022
- Traffic in San Francisco was, well, weird during the last half of 2022, and fingers are being pointed at the city's autonomous vehicles. Per a Wednesday letter from the San Francisco County Transportation Authority to the California Public Utilities Commission, there were a whole lot of 911 calls (92,...
Engineer Says Tesla
Self-Driving Video Was Staged
Jan 17, 2023 8:38 PM CST
Engineer Says Tesla Self-Driving Video Was Staged
'The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016'
- A 2016 video promoting Tesla's self-driving technology wasn't what it appeared to be, a Tesla engineer testified. In previously unreported testimony, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software, said the video was staged and the Tesla Model X involved wasn't really driving itself, reports Reuters . "The intent...
Tesla Issues Recall
Over 'Rolling Stops'
Feb 1, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Tesla Issues Recall Over 'Rolling Stops'
54K cars, SUVs recalled due to Full Self-Driving feature that critics say is unsafe
- Tesla is recalling nearly 54,000 cars and SUVs because its "Full Self-Driving" software lets them roll through stop signs without coming to a complete halt. Documents posted Tuesday by US safety regulators say Tesla will disable the feature with an over-the-internet software update, per the AP . The "...
Feature Puts Car
in 'Assertive' Mode
Jan 11, 2022 2:19 PM CST
Tesla Self-Driving Feature Puts Car in 'Assertive' Mode
It allows vehicle to shorten follow distance, come to 'rolling stops'
- A Tesla self-driving feature is drawing backlash for what some are saying could lead to too-aggressive driving. The Verge reports that the company's Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta allows vehicle operators to choose from one of three driving modes that control how the car reacts to road conditions: "Chill,...
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles
With No Human on Board
Dec 29, 2021 10:45 AM CST
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles With No Human on Board
Autonomous trucker TuSimple logs first no-human road test in Arizona
- A semitruck completed an 80-mile route in Arizona with no human on board and no human intervention during the trip using technology developed by TuSimple, the company said Wednesday. The San Diego company says it's the first successful fully-autonomous run by a Class 8 vehicle, or semi, on open...
Report: Apple Is Working
on Fully Self-Driving Car
Nov 22, 2021 1:29 PM CST
Report: Apple Is Working on Fully Self-Driving Car
Sources say company plans to launch by 2025
- Apple's secretive "Project Titan" car team has shifted gears, insiders say. Sources tell Bloomberg that the team is now concentrating on creating a fully self-driving vehicle and aims to launch it by 2025. Bloomberg's sources say the company recently reached a "key milestone in developing the...
Cop to Driver: 'I Followed
You for About 2 Miles
and You Were Sleeping'
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Cop to Driver: 'I Followed You for About 2 Miles and You Were Sleeping'
Wisconsin authorities say man was behind the wheel of a Tesla using its Autopilot feature
- According to the Tesla website , the Autopilot feature built in to all of its new vehicles offers "advanced safety and convenience features ... designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving." For an Illinois man who took a spin in Wisconsin over the weekend, one of...
Here's Your New
Apr 13, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Here's Your New Pizza-Delivery Robot
Domino's is testing service in a single neighborhood in Houston
- Robot pizza delivery is here, at least for a limited few. Domino's Pizza is testing a service that allows customers in Houston's Woodland Heights neighborhood to have their pizza delivered by autonomous vehicles created by robotics company Nuro. These were the first completely autonomous vehicles approved by the...
Is This the Car of the Future?
Dec 15, 2020 6:57 AM CST
Is This the Car of the Future?
Bezos-owned Zoox reveals self-driving taxi with no steering wheel
- Taxi service could someday look quite different: Zoox, a self-driving startup acquired by Jeff Bezos' Amazon in June, on Monday revealed its autonomous taxi prototype. The robotaxi, which does away with the steering wheel, pedals, and driver's seat entirely, "reimagines the entire premise of a car," per...
Oct 9, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Waymo Launches Fully Driverless Ride Service
Phoenix vehicles will no longer have backup drivers
- Waymo is allowing the general public to hitch a ride in its driverless autonomous vehicles in Phoenix, expanding a service it had been quietly offering to a select group of riders for the past year. The vehicles, which will have no back-up drivers behind the wheel to take over in...
The Car Was Going 93mph.
The Driver Was Taking a Nap
Sep 18, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
The Car Was Going 93mph. The Driver Was Taking a Nap
Canadian officers say they found both front seats reclined, car apparently on Autopilot
- Police in Canada say a man has been charged over a July incident in which he was allegedly snoozing away as his apparently self-driving car traveled more than 93mph. Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were alerted around 4pm on July 9 to a Tesla Model S speeding down the highway...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.