Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2022 World Cup
Stories 1 - 20 |
It Could Be the Priciest
Collection Ever Sold
Nov 23, 2023 3:12 PM CST
It Could Be the Priciest Sports Memorabilia Collection Ever Sold
Sotheby's to auction 6 shirts worn by Lionel Messi in winning World Cup run
- Sotheby's is to auction six shirts worn by Lionel Messi during Argentina's winning run at last year's soccer World Cup in Qatar and thinks they could become the most valuable collection of sports memorabilia ever sold at potentially more than $10 million. The auction house said Monday...
Some People Were a Bisht
Upset by Messi's Garb
at Trophy Ceremony
Dec 19, 2022 4:22 PM CST
Some People Were a Bisht Upset by Messi's Garb at Trophy Ceremony
Others say the gifted garment is sign of deep respect
- For football and soccer fans alike, it was an exciting World Cup, right down to the shootout in a wild final between France and Argentina, who took the trophy for the first time since 1986. They probably couldn’t have done it without the great Lionel Messi, who was in...
Messi, Argentina Top France
in World Cup Final for the Ages
Dec 18, 2022 3:22 PM CST
Messi, Argentina Top France in World Cup Final for the Ages
Penalty kicks decide champion after Mbappe scores hat trick in losing cause
- In what analysts are calling one of the most exciting finals in World Cup history, highlighted by exceptional performances by the teams' biggest stars, Argentina defeated France on Sunday on penalty kicks to take soccer's championship for the third time. The shootout won 4-2 by Argentina took place after...
Argentina, France Are
Counting On These Players
Dec 17, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Argentina, France Are Counting On These Players
Teams have potential heroes beyond Messi and Mbappé
- Lionel Messi will line up for Argentina and Kylian Mbappé will be on the opposite side for France on Sunday in the World Cup final in Qatar. Messi has been there before but lost in the 2014 final to Germany. Mbappé won the 2018 title after scoring a goal against...
France Beats Morocco for
Place in World Cup Final
Dec 14, 2022 3:25 PM CST
France Beats Morocco for Place in World Cup Final
After ending Morocco's impressive run, their final opponents will be Argentina
- France has beaten Morocco 2-0 to reach the World Cup final against Argentina. Theo Hernandez scored in the fifth minute and Randal Kolo Muani added a second in the 79th. The defending champion plays Lionel Messi’s Argentina on Sunday, the AP reports. Hernandez's goal was the first goal...
Argentina Brought 1,100
Pounds of This to World Cup
Dec 13, 2022 4:53 PM CST
Argentina Brought 1,100 Pounds of This to World Cup
Traditional herbal beverage is essential to many South American players
- When they took the field versus Croatia in Tuesday's semifinal World Cup match , the taste of yerba mate may have still been fresh in mouths of Argentinian players. That’s because they and many other South American players swear by the traditional herbal beverage, according to the
Messi Leads Argentina
to World Cup Final
Dec 13, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Messi Leads Argentina to World Cup Final
Superstar scored 1 goal, set up 2 others in win over Croatia
- Lionel Messi is back in the World Cup final with Argentina on his mission to win soccer’s biggest prize for the first time. And, at 35, he could hardly be playing any better. Messi converted a penalty and had a hand in the other two goals by Julián...
Kane Misses Penalty,
and France Moves On
Dec 10, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Kane Misses Penalty, and France Moves On
England's captain has a goal but goes high on a penalty that would have tied the game
- Late in the England-France quarterfinal match at the World Cup in Qatar on Saturday, Harry Kane had a penalty kick and a chance to tie the score. England's most prolific scorer in its history, and its captain, had come through uncountable times before, but he sent his shot well...
Dec 10, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Morocco Stuns Portugal, Ronaldo
World Cup semifinals will include an African national team for the first time
- Morocco became the first African country to reach the World Cup semifinals by beating Portugal 1-0 on Saturday, likely ending Cristiano Ronaldo's chances of ever winning soccer's biggest prize. Youssef En-Nesyri scored the winning goal in the 42nd minute to continue Morocco's improbable run that has generated...
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Dec 9, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Shootout victory sets up match Tuesday against Croatia
- Lionel Messi and his teammates hung around on the field for 20 minutes, taking turns dancing and jumping up and down in front of their celebrating, scarf-waving fans. Argentina was going to savor reaching the World Cup semifinals. Messi's quest to win soccer's ultimate prize is still alive....
Portugal Rolls on 3 Goals
by Ronaldo's Replacement
Dec 6, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Portugal Rolls on 3 Goals by Ronaldo's Replacement
6-1 victory over Switzerland sends Portugal to quarterfinals against Morocco
- With Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench, the superstar striker's replacement scored a hat trick to lead Portugal over Switzerland 6-1 and into the World Cup quarterfinals on Tuesday. Goncalo Ramos, a 21-year-old forward who made his Portugal debut as a substitute last month, started for the first time for...
As Crowd's Noise
Morocco Upset Spain
Dec 6, 2022 2:42 PM CST
As Crowd's Noise Became Deafening, Morocco Upset Spain
3-0 victory on penalties sets up match with Portugal or Switzerland
- Morocco on Tuesday became the first Arab nation and only the fourth African nation to advance to the World Cup quarterfinals, beating Spain 3-0 in a penalty shootout. Achraf Hakimi, who was born in Madrid and previously played for Real Madrid, converted the deciding penalty in the shootout. Abdelhamid Sabiri...
US Team Wants to
'Change the Narrative'
Dec 4, 2022 4:00 PM CST
US Team Wants to 'Change the Narrative'
World Cup performance just meets the minimum
- American success in the men's World Cup remains a dream. The US team looked better this year, but the results were the same as in 2010 and 2014. The Americans were eliminated in the round of 16 following a 3-1 defeat to the Netherlands on Saturday. "We've...
US Team Can't Keep Up
With the Netherlands'
Dec 3, 2022 12:50 PM CST
US Team Can't Keep Up With the Netherlands'
3-1 loss knocks Americans out of World Cup
- The US team had never trailed in 2020 World Cup play, a stretch that ended in the 10th minute of its match Saturday—after the Americans had failed to score on their best chance of the day when Christian Pulisic had the Netherlands' goalkeeper one-on-one. Minutes later, Memphis Depay drilled...
Men's World Cup Success
Pays Off for Women's Team
Nov 30, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Men's World Cup Success Pays Off for Women's Team
Payout under new deal should top checks from last women's victories
- Under the terms of a new agreement on dividing World Cup revenue, the US women's team is having a profitable tournament in Qatar. The US men have reached the round of 16 there, after beating Iran 1-0 on Tuesday. The way FIFA outlines the payouts, teams that finish in...
US Is Through to
Next Round of World Cup
Nov 29, 2022 3:29 PM CST
US Is Through to Next Round of World Cup
Christian Pusilic scored in 1-0 win over Iran
- Christian Pulisic scored while crashing headfirst into the goalkeeper in the 38th minute and the United States advanced to the knockout round of the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Iran on Tuesday night in a politically charged rematch of their famous meeting a quarter-century ago. Pulisic sprawled on...
Rainbow Flag Appears on Pitch
Nov 28, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Rainbow Flag Appears on Pitch
World Cup protester's T-shirt referred to fighting in Ukraine, demonstrations in Iran
- Threats from FIFA have kept World Cup competitors from wearing rainbow armbands , but the rainbow flag made an appearance anyway during a match Monday. A man waving the flag ran across the pitch in the second half of the Portugal-Uruguay game, AFP reports, for about 30 seconds before security employees...
Iran, US Soccer Now Have
Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Nov 28, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Iran takes offense after US federation's display of support for protesters
- In a move well beyond posting a cliche quote in the locker room, the US Soccer Federation angered Iran by publicly airing its support for Iranian protesters—two days before the nations' teams meet in the World Cup. The US federation posted Iran's flag on social media in a...
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
Nov 27, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
'Those are not fans, they are rioters,' Brussels mayor says
- Riots broke out in several Belgian and Dutch cities after Morocco's 2-0 upset win over Belgium at the World Cup on Sunday. Police detained about a dozen people after they deployed water cannons and fire tear gas to disperse crowds in Brussels and eight more in the Northern city...
It's a Draw
Nov 25, 2022 5:05 PM CST
US Outplays England, but It's a Draw
Americans have to beat Iran on Tuesday to advance
- The US men's team outdid the heavily favored English team in every way but scoring during their World Cup match Friday, battling to a 0-0 draw. As far as the tournament goes, the match didn't settle much: The US will have to beat Iran on Tuesday to reach...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.