Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young Would-Be Voters
Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Sep 21, 2023 9:19 AM CDT
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Pop star credited with boosting voter registrations through an Instagram post
- After boosting the economy , Taylor Swift thought she might as well boost voter registration, too. Vote.org has credited the singer with helping to register more than 35,000 new voters Tuesday on National Voter Registration Day. "I've been so lucky to see so many of you guys...
Most Americans Are
Very Tired of Politics
Sep 19, 2023 3:59 PM CDT
Most Americans Are Very Tired of Politics
And more people than ever blame both parties in a new survey
- If the idea of talking politics these days feels like a wearying chore, you are not alone. A new study by the Pew Research Center finds that 65% of Americans say they often or always feel "exhausted" when thinking about politics. A smaller majority (55%) feels downright angry. Only...
Sep 7, 2023 6:24 AM CDT
Mexico's Next President Will Likely Make History
2 female candidates are set to face off in 2024 election, giving nation its first woman president
- Two women will face off to become president of Mexico, "all but guaranteeing that the country's next leader will be the first woman to hold the office," the Hill reports. Mexico's ruling party announced Wednesday that it has chosen former Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum as...
May 28, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Turkey Tries Again to Elect a Leader
Erdogan favored to stay in office after high-stakes runoff Sunday
- Voters in Turkey returned to the polls Sunday to decide whether the country’s longtime leader stretches his increasingly authoritarian rule into a third decade, or is unseated by a challenger who has promised to restore a more democratic society, per AP . President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has been at...
She Started Out
Went Full MAGA
Jan 1, 2023 5:00 PM CST
She Started Out Moderate, Then Went Full MAGA
'WaPo' profile examines 'bewildering and sudden' shift of New York congresswoman Elise Stefanik
- After Mitt Romney lost the presidency in 2012, Elise Stefanik, a budding young Republican from upstate New York who worked for his campaign, helped put together an "autopsy report, a document urging more inclusivity and openness in the GOP." So writes Ruby Cramer in her profile of Stefanik,...
A Theory to Explain
Modern Politics: 'Calcification'
Nov 14, 2022 11:48 AM CST
A Theory to Explain Modern Politics: 'Calcification'
Ezra Klein digs into the phenomenon
- These days, it seems that Democrats will vote for Democrats, and Republicans will vote for Republicans, no matter what happens during the election cycle. This "calcification" of American politics is explored in a
New York Times
essay by Ezra Klein, who draws from the work of political scientists John...
Lawmaker Sues Over Photo of
Campaign Manager's Erection
Oct 26, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
Lawmaker Sues Over Photo of Campaign Manager's Erection
Florida Rep. Jackie Toledo alleges sexual harassment by Fred Piccolo
- A Florida lawmaker accuses her former campaign manager, a high-profile Republican strategist in the state, of sending her "unwanted, unsolicited, inappropriate, and grossly offensive" texts in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed Monday. The suit filed in Hillsborough County by Republican state Rep. Jackie Toledo includes various images that she...
ND Man Admits Running Down
'Republican' Teen: Cops
Sep 23, 2022 6:14 AM CDT
ND Man Admits Running Down 'Republican' Teen: Cops
Shannon Brandt, 41, charged with vehicular homicide in death of Cayler Ellingson
- North Dakota's attorney general is calling on political leaders to stop violent rhetoric after authorities say a man admitted to using his SUV to fatally strike a teen with whom he had a "political argument." Shannon Brandt, 41, called 911 early Sunday, saying he'd hit a...
Kept His TV
Jun 18, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Mark Shields Kept His TV Debates Civil
Commentator appeared on 'PBS NewsHour' for 33 years
- Mark Shields, who affably debated fellow political pundits on TV for decades—slipping in cutting jabs along the way—has died. He was 85 and died at home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, of kidney failure, the
New York Times
reports. Shields, who labeled himself a New Deal liberal, was a...
Answer to 'Vile' Accusation
Apr 27, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
National Support Follows Lawmaker's Answer to 'Vile' Accusation
Biden joins praise of lawmaker who said 'We will not let hate win'
- Lana Theis might not have expected much of a response to her fundraising email attacking a fellow Michigan legislator. Theis, a Republican, wasn't even running against state Sen. Mallory McMorrow. But Theis attacked her anyway, the Hill reports, telling supporters she's competing with "social media trolls like...
Mar 4, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Jon Stewart Has Thoughts on Tucker Carlson
Ex-'Daily Show' host calls him 'dishonest propagandist,' also rips into Rupert Murdoch
- Tucker Carlson has been attracting attention of late with seemingly supportive comments on Russian President Vladimir Putin, who's been decried by much of the world for the war he's waging in Ukraine . The Fox News host has since walked his remarks back a bit, but that didn't...
8th-Grader Records Teacher's
Nov 10, 2021 7:16 AM CST
8th-Grader Records Teacher's Eyebrow-Raising Comments
Calif. middle school teacher went on anti-vax political rant, told students Trump was still president
- Is there something in the water in California? Last week, a high school teacher in the northern part of the state took some heat after airing his apparent political views via a class quiz . Now, a middle school history teacher in a town further south is making headlines for her...
Oct 6, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Weird Political Maneuvering Is Happening in Idaho
When the cat's away...
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little left the state on Tuesday, and Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin took full advantage of that fact. With Little in Texas meeting with other Republican governors about border issues, McGeachin—who serves as acting governor in Little's absence and is running for governor herself—issued an...
Andrew Yang Forms
'Inclusive' 3rd Party
Oct 4, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
Andrew Yang Forms 'Inclusive' 3rd Party
Key principles include universal basic income and 'grace and tolerance'
- Andrew Yang wants to overhaul politics, from the two-party system to political campaigns, as he writes in a new book out Tuesday. In the final chapter of
Forward: Notes on the Future of Our Democracy
, the former Democratic presidential and New York City mayoral candidate reveals the name of a...
Bucks Party on Voting Bill
Jun 6, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Democratic Senator Bucks Party on Voting Bill
Without Joe Manchin's vote, the measure has no path forward
- A key Democratic senator says he will not vote for the largest overhaul of US election law in a generation, leaving no path forward for legislation that his party and the White House have portrayed as crucial for protecting access to the ballot. "Voting and election reform that...
Matthew McConaughey Putting
Feelers Out on a Possible Run
May 16, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Matthew McConaughey Putting Feelers Out on a Possible Run
Politico reports the actor has been making phone calls about running for Texas governor
- For a guy who stays out of politics, Matthew McConaughey is spending a lot of time talking about running for governor of Texas. The A-list star and Oscar-winner has never come out as a Democrat or Republican, and he hasn’t given much of a hint what his platform...
Wants to Flee
Form 3rd Party
Feb 11, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Report: Group Wants to Flee 'Extremist' GOP, Form 3rd Party
Evan McMullin tells outlets about anti-Trump idea
- Just how divided is the Republican Party? Divided enough that some 50 former Republican officials are on board to form a third US political party to serve as a counter to a GOP under the thumb of a wannabe autocrat, according to Reuters . The outlet cites "four people involved...
House, Senate Reject
Challenge to Biden Arizona Win
Jan 6, 2021 10:24 PM CST
House, Senate Reject Challenge to Biden Arizona Win
As Mike Pence condemns the violence
- Congress did indeed return to work Wednesday night after the afternoon violence in DC . The Senate was gaveled back into session shortly after 8pm, about six hours after pro-Trump protesters forced them to flee the Capitol. "Let's get back to work," Vice President Mike Pence told senators...
Rumors of Run
Nov 19, 2020 11:35 AM CST
McConaughey Addresses Rumors of Run for Office
'It would be up to the people more than it would me,' he says of possible gubernatorial bid
- He's been an astronaut, an assassin, and a stripper in the movies, and a university professor in real life. Now, Matthew McConaughey isn't ruling out a new real-life role—that of governor. The actor was speaking with radio host Hugh Hewitt about his new book on Tuesday when...
sunday talk shows
Oct 25, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Mark Meadows Makes Startling COVID Comment
The White House chief of staff admits 'we are not going to control' it
- White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is making headlines Sunday with his comments about the coronavirus, CNN reports. "We are not going to control the pandemic," he said on
State of the Union
. "We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.