Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Peter Thiel
Was FBI Informant
Oct 19, 2023 1:11 PM CDT
Report: Peter Thiel Was FBI Informant
He focused on foreign influence in Silicon Valley, according to political activist Charles Johnson
- Tech billionaire Peter Thiel has bankrolled Republican politicians who've publicly attacked the FBI, from former President Donald Trump to Sen. JD Vance. It's somewhat surprising then that a new report from Insider alleges he has served as an FBI informant. Alt-right political activist Charles Johnson claims he helped...
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations
Sound Warning on China
Oct 18, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations Sound Warning on China
Five Eyes intelligence chiefs say Chinese spies are operating at an 'epic scale'
- Spy movies have taught us to suspect figures lurking around military bases and federal buildings, yet the focus of Chinese spying in the US looks quite different, according to the heads of spy agencies in the Five Eyes coalition—US, Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand—who gathered for an...
Yellen: No, We Won't
Bail Out Silicon Valley Bank
Mar 12, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Yellen: No, We Won't Bail Out Silicon Valley Bank
'Whole generation' of tech startups face potential collapse
- The fallout from the Friday failure of Silicon Valley Bank —the 16th-largest bank in the nation—continues to spread far and wide in the financial world. A look at coverage:
The FDIC insures deposits up to $250,000, but many tech startups and other businesses had far more
Largest Bank Collapse
Since 2008 Just Went Down
Mar 10, 2023 11:40 AM CST
Largest Bank Collapse Since 2008 Just Went Down
FDIC shutters Silicon Valley Bank, seizes its assets
- The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation seized the assets of Silicon Valley Bank on Friday, marking the largest bank failure since Washington Mutual during the height of the 2008 financial crisis. The FDIC ordered the closure of SVB and immediately took possession of all deposits at the bank. The bank had...
Investigators Think They've
Solved Mystery of Buried Car
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Investigators Think They've Solved Mystery of Buried Car
Cops: Mercedes unearthed in Atherton, Calif., may have been part of insurance fraud scheme
- Three decades ago, John Lew's 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL convertible was reported stolen to police in Palo Alto, California—a fact that may be the missing clue as to why the car was found buried last month on the property of a mansion in nearby Atherton. NBC News reports that...
30-Year-Old on $20B Adobe
Deal: I'm Cool if It Falls Apart
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
30-Year-Old on $20B Adobe Deal: I'm Cool if It Falls Apart
After stunning rise through Silicon Valley's ranks, Dylan Field sells Figma platform to tech giant
- When Dylan Field started work on the design-software startup Figma with former Brown classmate Evan Wallace, he hoped it would one day rival Adobe's Photoshop. This week, the 30-year-old arranged to sell his company to the larger one, and the payday will be "colossal" if the deal goes...
Another Silicon Valley
Whiz Kid Accused of
May 15, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Another Silicon Valley Whiz Kid Accused of Exaggerating Everything
'New York Times' out with critical story about Ryan Breslow of Bolt
- Ryan Breslow dropped out of Stanford in 2014 to start Bolt Financial, which “promised to shake up the boring but important business of online payments,” according to the
New York Times,
which interviewed dozens of former and current employees, clients, and investors about the company’s current state....
Musk Pulls In $7B for Twitter
From Silicon Valley Bigwigs
May 5, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Musk Pulls In $7B for Twitter From Silicon Valley Bigwigs
$1B of investor backing is coming from Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, per SEC filing
- Billionaire Elon Musk has strengthened the equity stake of his offer to buy Twitter, with commitments of more than $7 billion from a range of investors, including Silicon Valley heavy hitters like Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison. Other investors include Sequoia Capital Fund, which pledged $800 million, and Vy Capital, which...
Dirty Laundry at Meta
Signals a Changing Culture
Mar 19, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Dirty Laundry at Meta Signals a Changing Culture
The perks of working in Silicon Valley are lessening but not vanishing
- Mark Zuckerberg and Meta can act as low-hanging fruit to anyone who likes to disparage tech billionaires and their empires. Sometimes, employees are also easy picking, thanks to compensation and benefits that may seem lavish to many Americans. Consider the Meta engineer who took to the anonymous professional network Blind...
Family Reported Dead by
Had Silicon Valley Ties
Mar 9, 2022 3:06 PM CST
Family Reported Dead by
Had Silicon Valley Ties
Tatiana Perebeinis was chief accountant for SE Ranking
- A Silicon Valley tech firm on Monday announced that one of its employees and her two children were killed in Ukraine. The SEO company SE Ranking has a number of employees based in Ukraine, and chief accountant Tatiana Perebeinis perished Sunday while trying to evacuate a suburb some 20 miles...
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
Mar 23, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Prince Harry Lands a New Title
He will be 'chief impact officer' at the health tech company BetterUp
- Prince Harry may have lost some royal titles in his split with the family, but he's just gained a new one in Silicon Valley: "chief impact officer." That's the role Harry has assumed at the health tech company BetterUp, reports NBC News . The firm focuses on...
Thomas Middleditch at Center
of Club's Misconduct Claims
Mar 22, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Thomas Middleditch at Center of Club's Misconduct Claims
'Silicon Valley' star accused of groping woman, owners accused of ignoring complaints
star Thomas Middleditch to the list of celebs who've been accused of sexual misconduct. Hannah Harding says she was at the Cloak & Dagger—a now-closed Goth nightclub in Hollywood "where a cast of experimental artists performed eerie, sexually charged ceremonies each week," per...
Staff Used $1B Startup's
Security Cameras to Harass
Oct 27, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Staff Used $1B Startup's Security Cameras to Harass
No one was fired, a move Verkada's CEO defends
- A surveillance startup boasting clients including Juul Labs, Red Lobster, and the city of Memphis has come under fire over claims that its own facial recognition system was used to harass female employees. Motherboard and the Verge are out with reports on the behavior at the Silicon Valley headquarters of...
Uh, Little Issue With
Naming Your Kid 'X Æ A-12'
May 9, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Uh, Little Issue With Naming Your Kid 'X Æ A-12'
It might not be totally, what's it called, legal
- Elon, about that baby name. "X Æ A-12" isn't just odd—it might be against the law. CBS News reports that Tesla CEO Elon Musk and singer Grimes may have violated California law with that zinger of a name. The California Department of Public Health Vital Records Handbook...
Bay Area Residents Placed
Under Strictest Order in US
Mar 16, 2020 4:32 PM CDT
Bay Area Residents Placed Under Strictest Order in US
Residents of six counties ordered to shelter in place for 3 weeks
- Officials in six San Francisco Bay Area counties issued a sweeping shelter-in-place mandate Monday affecting nearly 7 million people, ordering residents to avoid any unnecessary travel by any method and only leave their homes for food, medicine, and exercise. The order says residents must stay inside and venture out only...
Star Makes Big
Reveal on Sex Life
Sep 18, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Star Makes Big Reveal on Sex Life
Thomas Middleditch and wife Mollie Gates are swingers: It 'saved our marriage'
- The seventh question in
's 20 questions to
star Thomas Middleditch brought what
calls an "unexpected" answer. When the magazine brought up that Middleditch had once visited a swingers club while making the movie
, then asked if he was actually part of the "...
Jun 3, 2019 6:18 PM CDT
House Plans Sweeping Probe of Tech Giants
Investigation to focus on 'concentration of market power'
- Tech giants—including Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google—will face a "top-to-bottom" antitrust investigation by the House Judiciary Committee. Rep. David Cicilline, leader of the investigation, said Monday it is aimed at the "tremendous concentration of market power" held by the companies more than it is at individual...
Warren: Time to Bust Up
Mar 8, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Warren: Time to Bust Up Google, Amazon
Presidential candidate is going after the giants of tech
- Elizabeth Warren wants a fair playing field in the marketplace—and she's going after Big Tech to make it happen. "To restore the balance of power in our democracy, to promote competition, and to ensure that the next generation of technology innovation is as vibrant as the last,...
Silicon Valley Investors,
This Should Worry You
Jan 18, 2019 9:44 AM CST
Silicon Valley Investors, This Should Worry You
Op-ed: The Bezos divorce surely won't be the last. Time to disclose pre-nups?
- In the wake of the Bezos divorce announcement, two colliding truths should be on the radar of Silicon Valley investors, writes James Stewart in the
New York Times
. First, the divorce rate in California is about 60%, meaning that the Bezos' split surely won't be the last among the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.