Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Marshals Service
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Hear Weird Siren,
Arrest Phony US Marshal
Aug 7, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Cops Hear Weird Siren, Arrest Phony US Marshal
Florida man claimed he was investigating shootings
- A man accused of impersonating a law enforcement officer was wearing a hat that said "Police US Marshal," police in Florida say, but it didn't take a real Marshal more than a few seconds to determine he wasn't the real deal. The Marion County Sheriff's...
US Marshals Capture
Most Wanted Fugitive
Aug 30, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
US Marshals Capture Most Wanted Fugitive
Retired detective worked to find daughter's alleged killer
- Former Guam Police Detective Josephine Wentzel changed career when she moved to California decades ago—but she came out of retirement after her daughter was murdered in 2016, and the alleged killer has now been caught. The US Marshals Service says Raymond "RJ" McLeod, a former Marine who had...
Man Accused of
Stealing Lady Gaga's
Dogs Arrested, Again
Aug 4, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Man Accused of Stealing Lady Gaga's Dogs Arrested, Again
James Howard Jackson, 19, was mistakenly released from custody in April
The man charged with stealing Lady Gaga's dogs and shooting her dog walker has been recaptured after he was accidentally released from custody in April. Authorities blamed a clerical error for the release of James Howard Jackson while awaiting trial. He was re-arrested Wednesday, the AP reports.
Warrant: Kaitlin Armstrong's
Gun a Match in Cyclist's Murder
Jun 24, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
Warrant: Kaitlin Armstrong's Gun a Match in Cyclist's Murder
Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, accused of killing Anna Moriah Wilson in Austin, remains at large
- Kaitlin Marie Armstrong told the elite cyclist she is accused of killing to "stay away" from her boyfriend, according to documents revealing what authorities say is increasing evidence against the 34-year-old who's been on the lam for more than a month. After being confronted on May 12 with...
'They Were Able to Do
What No One Else Has Done'
Jun 22, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'They Were Able to Do What No One Else Has Done'
US Marshals Service releases new age-progressed images of Alcatraz escapees
- The US Marshals Service wins this week's prize for persistence. The law enforcement agency has a new APB out for a trio of notorious escaped inmates, even though it's now been more than six decades since they busted out and they'd all be well into their 90s....
Story of Escaped
Inmate, Missing Prison
Official Gets Weird
May 2, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Story of Escaped Inmate, Missing Prison Official Gets Weird
It's not clear whether prison official participated in escape willingly, or was coerced
- The US Marshals Service is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information that helps them capture Alabama fugitive Casey White . White, who disappeared along with prison official Vicky White (not related) as she escorted him to a courthouse Friday, is charged with two counts of capital murder...
Feds: We Caught Man Who
Faked His Own Death in 2016
Apr 6, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Feds: We Caught Man Who Faked His Own Death in 2016
Jacob Greer arrested six years after allegedly writing a suicide note
- An Iowa man who "faked his own death" to avoid standing trial on child pornography charges has been arrested some six years after the fact, authorities say. "The arrest of Jacob Greer after six years is a testament to the tenacity of Deputy US Marshals and our investigative...
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends
With Sex-Offender Arrests
Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM CST
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends With Sex-Offender Arrests
Monthslong effort also tracks down 5 missing teens in Louisiana
- For most of the fall season, the US Marshals Service was hard at work in Louisiana, scoping out the New Orleans area in an annual crime-fighting operation that paid off big time this year. In a report issued in 2021's final days, the agency announced that thanks to "...
Guy Spotted at
Oct 9, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Guy Spotted at Dodgers Game Wasn't Actually Fugitive
Authorities had sought public's help in search for John Ruffo, on the run for 23 years
Sorry, it's not him. That's the final word from authorities on a mystery man spotted at a 2016 MLB game who looked just like a fugitive who's been on the run for 23 years. The US Marshals Service says the man seen in video footage at...
Post-Vigil, Fires and
Vandalism in Minneapolis
Jun 5, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Post-Vigil, Fires and Vandalism in Minneapolis
Protesters faced off against police after Thursday's fatal shooting of Winston Boogie Smith Jr.
- Protesters faced off with officers in Minneapolis early Saturday over the shooting death of a man by members of a US Marshals task force. Photos from the scene following a vigil for Winston Boogie Smith Jr., 32, showed dumpster fires in the street and a line of officers standing guard....
27 Missing Children
Found in Virginia
Nov 2, 2020 2:00 AM CST
27 Missing Children Found in Virginia
US Marshals carry out operation with National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, others
- During a five-day operation dubbed "Operation Find Our Children," deputy US Marshals located 27 missing kids in Virginia, CNN reports. The Justice Department coordinated the effort with the Marshals Service's regional Fugitive Task Force; special agents, police officers, and detectives from multiple federal, state, and local law...
In Georgia, a Big Find by
'Operation Not Forgotten'
Aug 29, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
In Georgia, a Big Find by 'Operation Not Forgotten'
2-week mission by US Marshals Service leads to rescue of 26 children, safe location of 13 others
- Over a two-week period in August, the US Marshals Service conducted "Operation Not Forgotten," searching for missing kids in the Atlanta metro area. Now, per the agency, nearly 40 kids are known to be in safe hands due to that mission. A USMS release reports that it tracked...
USMS: We Sent a Plane Over
Portland to Surveil Protesters
Aug 20, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
USMS: We Sent a Plane Over Portland to Surveil Protesters
Meanwhile, violent clashes between protesters and federal officers in the Oregon city start up again
- Thursday night marked the 84th night of protests in Portland, with clashes between protesters and federal agents once more emerging after weeks of nonviolence. The
reports that police declared the demonstration in the Oregon city a riot around 11pm local time, with a couple hundred protesters initially gathering around...
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and
Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Jul 17, 2020 10:56 AM CDT
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Protesters accuse federal officers in unmarked vehicles of making unlawful arrests
- Protesters in Portland, Oregon, say unidentified federal agents dressed in camouflage have been driving around in unmarked minivans and grabbing people off the streets. The US Marshals Special Operations Group and the Border Patrol Tactical Unit have been sent to Portland to protect federal property. But protesters describe being detained...
Executive Order, US Marshals
to Protect Nation's Monuments
Jun 25, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
Executive Order, US Marshals to Protect Nation's Monuments
Trump promises 'very strong' order this week
- US marshals have been ordered to prep to protect the nation's monuments as part of a new effort by the Trump administration, also said to involve an upcoming executive order. In an email with the subject line "Attorney General Assignment," Marshals Service Assistant Director Andrew C. Smith...
Fugitive Accused of Faking
His Own Suicide Is Caught
Jan 31, 2020 2:15 PM CST
Fugitive Accused of Faking His Own Suicide Is Caught
Jason Blair Scott allegedly raped his stepdaughter and now faces life in prison
- A man faked his own death in an attempt to avoid penalty for raping his stepdaughter, who was found to be pregnant with his child, according to the US Marshals Service, which is now celebrating "the fastest apprehension of a fugitive in the 37-year history of the 15 Most...
Protecting Betsy DeVos
Cost $6.24M This Year
Oct 2, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Protecting Betsy DeVos Cost $6.24M This Year
Cost will rise to almost $8M next year, according to US Marshals Service
- Providing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos with round-the-clock protection cost $6.24 million in fiscal 2019 and is projected to cost $7.87 million in the new fiscal year that started Tuesday, according to the US Marshals Service. Politico describes the security as "highly unusual," noting that the Education...
He Fled the Feds in 2011.
He Was Just Found 'Squatting'
Jul 8, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
He Fled the Feds in 2011. He Was Just Found 'Squatting'
Michael Duane Strain, busted on Native American reservation in Montana, was on most wanted list
- They thought he was hiding in Minnesota, but they nabbed him in Montana.
reports 62-year-old Michael Duane Strain, one of the 15 most wanted fugitives on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms' list, was busted last week by US Marshals Service deputies on a Native American reservation...
It Was a Brutal Night
for Cops in Memphis
Jun 13, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
It Was a Brutal Night for Cops in Memphis
At least 24 hurt in protest over fatal shooting by US Marshals
- At least two dozen police officers were hurt Wednesday while trying to fend off protesters in Memphis, where tensions are high following a fatal shooting by US marshals. Police say protesters angered by the death of the man in north Memphis—which reportedly occurred on the lawn of his family...
May 13, 2019 7:17 PM CDT
900-Pound Defendant Asks Help Getting to Court
Effort could involve taking down trees, cutting a hole in a wall
- A Virginia judge has approved a logistical plan to bring a defendant who weighs more than 900 pounds to federal court in Richmond. The effort could involve cutting down trees, cutting through a wall in the building where the man lives and bracing the structure, the
reports. A device...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.