Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have Had It
Sep 13, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
15K Nurses in Minnesota Have Had It
They hope 3-day strike will give them the upper hand in contract negotiations
- Some 15,000 nurses in Minnesota have walked off the job in what the
calls "the largest strike of private-sector nurses in US history," with some of 15 affected hospitals preparing for delays despite efforts to recruit traveling nurses. The three-day strike, which began Monday, comes...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal
Meds Avoids Jail Time
May 14, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal Meds Avoids Jail Time
RaDonda Vaught gets 3 years of supervised probation for death of Charlene Murphey
- RaDonda Vaught, the Tennessee nurse behind a fatal medicine mix-up that killed a 75-year-old woman in 2017, won't be going to prison. WTVF reports that the 38-year-old former nurse at Nashville's Vanderbilt University Medical Center was sentenced Friday to three years of supervised probation, following emotional testimony from...
Nurse in Fatal Drug
Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
Mar 26, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Nurse in Fatal Drug Mix-Up Hears Her Fate
RaDonda Vaught found guilty of negligent homicide, gross neglect in death of 75-year-old patient
RaDonda Vaught has been found guilty in the death of an elderly patient after a fatal drug mistake. The
and NPR report that a jury in Nashville, Tenn., on Friday convicted the former nurse of criminally negligent homicide and gross neglect of an impaired adult, tied to the...
After Assault, Nurse Dies in
Same Hospital She Served
Jan 18, 2022 11:10 AM CST
After Assault, Nurse Dies in Same Hospital She Served
Police in Los Angeles say Sandra Shells, 70, was victim of unprovoked attack at bus stop
- A 70-year-old nurse who worked most of her life at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center died there last week after being assaulted at a bus stop, reports NBC News . Sandra Shells, who was still employed by the hospital after 38 years, was the victim of what police are calling an...
3 Nurses Sue for $1M
After Airing COVID Views
Jan 12, 2022 8:57 AM CST
3 Nurses Sue for $1M After Airing COVID Views
Ontario RNs accused of spreading misinformation file complaint against nurses group, media org
- Three nurses in Canada who saw repercussions after voicing conspiracy theories online about COVID have now filed a $1 million libel lawsuit. Per the CBC , the complaint by Kristen Nagle, Kristal Pitter, and Sara Choujounian—registered Dec. 13 against the Canadian Nurses Association, CNA executives, and Together News Inc., a...
Patient Loses Dog,
So Nurse Takes Action
Dec 26, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Patient Loses Dog, So Nurse Takes Action
Jennifer Smith adopted her patient's dog to keep them together
- It's an all too common tale: a dog owner becomes ill and must stay hospitalized for a long period, forcing them to surrender the companion they love. In many cases, they lose their dog forever. In the case of Central New York man John Burley and his buddy Boomer,...
Cops Say Fake Nurse
Worked at Hospital for a Year
in case you missed it
Nov 28, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Cops Say Fake Nurse Worked at Hospital for a Year
Canadian woman Brigitte Cleroux has a long history of similar offenses
- Authorities in Canada say Brigitte Cleroux appears to have had a long career working as a nurse at numerous hospitals and clinics—which is a big problem, because she isn't a nurse. Police say the 49-year-old used the name of a real nurse to get a job at BC...
Kaiser, Unions Reach
Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Nov 14, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Kaiser, Unions Reach Deal Without 2-Tiered Pay
Strike was scheduled to begin Monday
: Kaiser Permanente and a group of unions have reached a tentative agreement on a four-year contract, averting a strike by employees in eight states. The deal reached Saturday includes pay raises and drops Kaiser's plan for a two-tiered wage system, the
New York Times
reports, that would pay...
She Says She Administered
Vaccine. Cops Say She Didn't
Nov 8, 2021 7:16 AM CST
She Says She Administered Vaccine. Cops Say She Didn't
Nurse is accused of pretending to give vax to teen at clinic in Perth, Australia
- A nurse in Western Australia has been charged with fraud, accused of pretending to administer a COVID vaccine at a private clinic. The
notes it's the first recorded instance of someone allegedly faking such a vaccination. ABC Australia reports that 51-year-old Christina Hartmann Benz had apparently received a...
This Week, a 'Turning
Point' on Vaccinations
Jul 27, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
This Week, a 'Turning Point' on Vaccinations
As case numbers rise once again, vaccine mandates gain support
- The US has reached a turning point in the pandemic, with businesses, state governments, and even a federal government agency now backing mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for employees. How'd we get here?
"With vaccination rates stagnating and the delta variant driving yet another wave of cases,
Major Medical Groups Just
Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
Jul 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Major Medical Groups Just Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
AMA, dozens of others say health care workers should be required to get vaccinations
- As pushback continues against requiring coronavirus vaccines on cruise ships , in the NF L, and on college campuses , there's a new lobby for mandatory vaccination. The
and CNN report that 50-plus medical groups representing millions of health care professionals released a statement Monday calling for health care...
and Pay, PM's
May 18, 2021 3:22 PM CDT
Citing Respect and Pay, PM's COVID Nurse Has Quit
Boris Johnson praised Jenny McGee after his intensive care stay
- Boris Johnson praised Jenny McGee, one of the nurses who tended to the British prime minister when he was in intensive care with COVID-19, after his release from the hospital last year. But McGee isn't feeling appreciated by his government, so she's quit her job "after the...
CDC Guidance 'Not Based
On Science,' Nurses Say
May 16, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
CDC Guidance 'Not Based On Science,' Nurses Say
The largest nurses union in the US says mask guidelines were relaxed too soon
- Eager to ditch your mask? Not so fast, the nation’s largest nurses union says. National Nurses United has vocally disagreed with the CDC’s new guidance on masks. The CDC said Thursday that fully vaccinated people can go about their business without masks or social distancing, with a few...
Goes On as
Apr 2, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Heart Surgery Goes On as Hospital Burns
Russian doctors, nurses finish bypass before evacuating
- When a blaze broke out Friday on the wooden roof of an ancient hospital in a remote Russian city, firefighters went to work on it. Officials said 128 people were evacuated, including 60 patients. But on the ground floor, a team of eight doctors and nurses carried on with heart...
This Nurse Is Trapped in a
Lighthouse Watching Movies
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2021 9:35 AM CST
This Nurse Is Trapped in a Lighthouse Watching Movies
Lisa Enroth won 'Isolated Cinema' contest to hole up on remote Swedish isle, view film fest premieres
- While many people are tiring of being stuck at home binge-watching Netflix during the pandemic, one health-care worker is taking it to the next level. Mashable reports that Lisa Enroth, a nurse from Skoevde, Sweden, is now hunkered down on the nation's barren Pater Noster island, holed up inside...
Pair Helps Out Nurses
Who 'Want to Get Home'
Feb 4, 2021 7:05 PM CST
Pair Helps Out Nurses Who 'Want to Get Home'
Volunteers clear off hospital employees' cars during snowstorm
- When a snowstorm hit a month ago, a Rhode Island 10-year-old decided to give nurses battling the coronavirus a hand when it snowed next. "I was thinking they've been helping us a lot through this whole pandemic," Christian Stone said, "and I figured why don't...
He Was Giving the COVID
Shot When He Saw the Ring
Jan 5, 2021 12:11 PM CST
He Was Giving the COVID Shot When He Saw the Ring
Paramedic Robby Vargas-Cortes proposes to nurse inoculating him: his boyfriend, Eric Vander Lee
- Good news: Your fiance snagged an appointment to get the coronavirus vaccine. Better news: You're the nurse who has the honor of administering it to him. Best news of all: He proposes to you right before you stick the needle in his arm. That's the sweet story out...
Hospitals Run Short of Oxygen
as LA County Deals With Surge
Dec 25, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Hospitals Run Short of Oxygen as LA County Deals With Surge
'It's so much worse than before,' an ICU nurse says
- Hospitals in Los Angeles County are running out of oxygen for treating COVID-19 patients, and they're already out of intensive care beds. With patients waiting for hours in ambulances outside the hospitals to be admitted, health officials are asking people to stay away from emergency rooms and not call...
Arrest Made in Fatal Shooting
of Nurse En Route to Work
Dec 13, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Arrest Made in Fatal Shooting of Nurse En Route to Work
Cops say Devaunte Lewis Hill, 21, shot Caitlyn Kaufman on the highway
- Police in Tennessee have arrested a man following an investigation into the murder of ICU nurse Caitlyn Kaufman. Per the
, 21-year-old Devaunte Lewis Hill was taken into custody without incident by SWAT members at his home around 6:15am on Friday. He's been charged with criminal homicide, Metro...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.