Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House GOP Abandons
Jordan for Speakership
Oct 20, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
House GOP Abandons Jordan for Speakership
He's no longer speaker nominee after losing three rounds of voting in the full House
- Jim Jordan didn't just lose another round of voting for the House speakership on Friday—he also lost his status as "speaker nominee" within the GOP conference, reports the Hill . Republicans held a secret ballot Friday afternoon to strip Jordan of the title, which he earned last week...
McHenry Plan Stalls as
Jordan Wants Another Vote
Oct 19, 2023 2:59 PM CDT
McHenry Plan Stalls as Jordan Wants Another Vote
Four-hour meeting puts House Republicans at Square One
- Rep. Jim Jordan's endorsement of having Rep. Patrick McHenry fill in as House speaker until January wasn't enough. Several Republican members, including Jordan, said that idea went nowhere in their four-hour, closed-door meeting, Politico reports. That put the GOP back where it was, and Jordan later said he...
Reports: Jim Jordan Won't
Seek a 3rd Speaker Vote
Oct 19, 2023 10:43 AM CDT
Reports: Jim Jordan Won't Seek a 3rd Speaker Vote
He's expected to back a plan to give more power to interim Speaker Patrick McHenry
- After losing two votes for the House speakership, Jim Jordan will forgo a third, reports the
and CNN . The conservative Republican is instead expected to back a plan to allow interim Speaker Patrick McHenry to remain in the post longer, with increased powers, per Axios . The plan was...
Jordan's House Speaker
Election Is Getting Ugly
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 AM CDT
Jordan's House Speaker Election Is Getting Ugly
Jordan opponents say they're being threatened
- As the House lurches toward a third attempt to elect a speaker in three days, Jim Jordan has urged his supporters to stop trying to intimidate lawmakers opposed to his candidacy. Several Republicans say they have faced threats and harassment after choosing other candidates in the first two rounds of...
3rd Vote Could Be
Even Worse for Jordan
Oct 18, 2023 7:45 PM CDT
3rd Vote Could Be Even Worse for Jordan
Critics predict he'll lose a 'bigger chunk' of House Republicans in Thursday speaker vote
- Predictions that the second House vote to elected a speaker would be worse for Jim Jordan than the first one turned out to be correct —and some House Republicans say his chances in the third round don't look great. After failing to win Wednesday's vote, Jordan said...
Things Got Worse
for Jim Jordan in Round 2
Oct 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Things Got Worse for Jim Jordan in Round 2
He got 199 votes, needs 217
- As Jim Jordan and some of his allies predicted, things got worse for the would-be House speaker in the second round of voting. He could only afford to lose four Republican votes but lost 22 on Wednesday, up from 20 in Tuesday's vote; that gave him a total of...
GOPer Explains His Choice
for 'Terrible' House Speaker Job
Oct 18, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
GOPer Explains His Choice for 'Terrible' House Speaker Job
Colorado Rep. Ken Buck voted for colleague Tom Emmer as a 'joke,' rather than vote for Jim Jordan
- Republican Rep. Ken Buck's choice for House speaker on Tuesday was a person he doesn't want to be speaker, which, in the words of CNN's Dana Bash, "says a lot about where we are right now." Sitting down with Bash after Tuesday's speaker vote,...
Jordan Says Voting
Will Continue Until
House Gets a Speaker
Oct 17, 2023 5:01 PM CDT
Jordan Says Voting Will Continue Until House Gets a Speaker
Next round will be Wednesday morning
- After Rep. Jim Jordan lost the first round of voting for House speaker Tuesday, he decided against taking another shot at it. Jordan said Tuesday evening that the next vote would be at 11am Eastern on Wednesday, the
reports. To become speaker, he will need the votes of...
Jim Jordan Loses First
Round in Speaker's Vote
Oct 17, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Jim Jordan Loses First Round in Speaker's Vote
He received 20 nays from Republicans and needs to shave that number to 4
- If Jim Jordan is to become the new House speaker, it will take multiple ballots. The conservative congressman from Ohio fell short in the first round of voting Tuesday in his bid to replace Kevin McCarthy, who was ousted two weeks ago. To get the necessary 217 votes, Jordan could...
Math Is Turning in Favor
of Jim Jordan as Speaker
Oct 17, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Math Is Turning in Favor of Jim Jordan as Speaker
Trump ally is closer to magic number ahead of voting on Tuesday afternoon
- The House has been without a speaker for two weeks, but that could end on Tuesday. The chamber is expected is expected to vote around noon on whether conservative Jim Jordan will get the gavel, reports the Hill . The man he hopes to replace—the ousted Kevin McCarthy— predicted Tuesday...
a Few Holdouts
Oct 16, 2023 4:51 PM CDT
Jordan Converts a Few Holdouts
Speaker candidate says he wants a House vote Tuesday
- After a weekend of a lobbying and GOP pressure campaign, Rep. Jim Jordan picked up support for his speakership bid but remained short of the 217 Republicans he needs in his corner. Reps. Mike Rogers, Ken Calvert, Vern Buchanan, and Ann Wagner switched their votes to Jordan on Monday, CNN...
Jordan Tries to Stir GOP Rage
Against Republicans in His Way
Oct 15, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Jordan Tries to Stir GOP Rage Against Republicans in His Way
One supporter calls pressure campaign a bad idea
- Rep. Jim Jordan is trying to win the House speakership by bullying Republican members who won't vote for him, a strategy denounced Sunday by one supporter. Jordan won his party's nomination for the post on Friday but received nowhere near the number of votes required to elect him...
A Look at the Little-Known
New Candidate for Speaker
Oct 13, 2023 1:56 PM CDT
A Look at the Little-Known New Candidate for Speaker
Georgia's Austin Scott is a conservative ally of Kevin McCarthy, no fan of the hard-right flank
- When a surprise new challenger emerged Friday for the House speakership, everyone but the most diehard political junkies could be forgiven for asking, "Austin who?" That would be GOP Rep. Austin Scott of Georgia, for whom the descriptor "little-known" was being applied often in coverage. "We are...
Fani Willis: Jordan Is Trying
to Obstruct Trump Case
Oct 12, 2023 10:44 AM CDT
Fani Willis: Jordan Is Trying to Obstruct Trump Case
Georgia prosecutor refuses 2nd request for investigation details
- Georgia prosecutor Fani Willis has penned another letter in an attempt to shut down Jim Jordan's efforts to gain information about her investigation into former President Trump and his allies. After the Fulton County district attorney refused to turn over all records related to her investigation into 2020 election...
House GOP Remains Divided
After Speaker Nomination
Oct 12, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
House GOP Remains Divided After Speaker Nomination
Jim Jordan retains support despite losing GOP vote to Steve Scalise
- "The House GOP's hoped-for moment of unity never materialized" Wednesday as Republicans picked Majority Leader Steve Scalise of Louisiana for speaker only to find at least a dozen of their members opposed, per Politico . Scalise nabbed just 50.7% of the House GOP conference's support, illustrating a...
Accusers Revisit Jim Jordan's
Alleged Role in Abuse Cover-Up
Oct 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Accusers Revisit Jim Jordan's Alleged Role in Abuse Cover-Up
They claim the former OSU wrestling coach failed to act on allegations against Richard Strauss
- Jim Jordan should not be speaker of the House, according to four former Ohio State University wrestlers who claim the House Judiciary Committee chairman failed to protect them from a sexual predator. Jordan served as assistant coach of the OSU wrestling team from 1986 to 1994, when Richard Strauss was...
Ahead of Speaker
Vote, No Idea
'How You Get to 218'
Oct 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Meeting Ahead of Speaker Vote, No Idea 'How You Get to 218'
2 candidates spoke at closed-door conference meeting, but consensus seems hard to reach
- By the end of Tuesday night's closed-door meeting, the AP was reporting that the Republican House majority appeared "stuck ... in a stalemate that threatens to keep Congress partly shuttered indefinitely." The two House speaker candidates who spoke at the meeting, Reps. Jim Jordan and Steve Scalise, appeared...
McCarthy on Leaving
the House: That's a No
Oct 7, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
McCarthy on Leaving the House: That's a No
Ex-speaker addresses rumors; meanwhile, TV forum for his possible replacement falls through
- Kevin McCarthy has already indicated he won't run for the House speaker position again, after a historic vote that booted him from that seat. On Thursday, the rumor mill started churning anew after sources told Politico and NBC News that the California Republican was considering stepping down from the...
Trump Makes His Endorsement
for Speaker of the House
Oct 6, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Trump Makes His Endorsement for Speaker of the House
He backs Jim Jordan
- Former President Trump officially endorsed Jim Jordan as the next House speaker early Friday. Jordan—who himself had said he'd rather Trump be president than speaker of the House —is running against Steve Scalise for the role after Kevin McCarthy's historic ouster. "Congressman Jim Jordan has...
Willis Tells Jordan He's
Out of His Depth Legally
Sep 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Willis Tells Jordan He's Out of His Depth Legally
Georgia district attorney rebuffs Republican's investigation into her prosecution
- The Georgia prosecutor taking Donald Trump and 18 others to court on charges of election interference has answered the launching of a congressional inquiry into her investigation, calling the move an attempt to obstruct court proceedings and including a schooling on the law. Republican Rep. Jim Jordan had written Fulton...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.