Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
6-Planet Solar System
in Milky Way Has
Scientists in Awe
Nov 29, 2023 12:12 PM CST
6-Planet Solar System in Milky Way Has Scientists in Awe
'My jaw was on the floor,' says one of discovery made by NASA, ESA planet-hunting satellites
- Astronomers have discovered a rare in-sync solar system with six planets moving like a grand cosmic orchestra, untouched by outside forces since their birth billions of years ago. The find, announced Wednesday in the journal
, can help explain how solar systems across the Milky Way galaxy came to be....
South: We'll Know Within Days
if North's Spy Satellite Works
Nov 23, 2023 8:10 AM CST
South: We'll Know Within Days if North's Spy Satellite Works
Spy agency says intelligence shows North Korea had help from Russia
- South Korea has concluded that Russian support likely enabled North Korea to put a spy satellite into orbit for the first time this week, and it should be clear in several days whether it is functioning properly, officials said Thursday. In a closed-door briefing, South Korea's spy agency cited...
North Korea Gets Some Russian
Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Nov 21, 2023 7:48 AM CST
North Korea Gets Some Russian Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Another rocket launch after 2 failures, ostensibly to deploy a spy satellite
- North Korea has launched a rocket in what may be its third attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit, according to South Korea's military. A rocket was launched late Tuesday, the military in Seoul said, but no further details were immediately available, reports the AP . In North Korea'...
Musk Has One-
to Report of
Nov 16, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Musk Has One- Word Response to Report of Starlink IPO
'False' is his reply to Bloomberg article on possible SpaceX initial public offering as early as next year
- Elon Musk is countering reports suggesting SpaceX is considering spinning off its Starlink satellite business in an initial public offering as soon as next year. Though the SpaceX CEO described the report as " false " on Wednesday, Bloomberg reported that SpaceX had already begun moving Starlink's assets to...
Dish Network Hit With
First-Ever Space Junk Fine
Oct 3, 2023 7:43 PM CDT
Dish Network Hit With First-Ever Space Junk Fine
Company fined $150K for leaving satellite too low
- Satellite TV provider Dish Network has chalked up a first in telecommunications history, but it's not one the Colorado-based company is likely to brag about. The Federal Communications Commission has penalized the company $150,000 in the agency's first-ever fine connected to space junk, the BBC reports. The...
Just Pulled Off a Big First
Jul 29, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
'Impossible Satellite' Just Pulled Off a Big First
European Space Agency successfully steers defunct Aeolus to crash into the ocean
- Aeolus was never designed to come back to Earth after its space mission. Now, however, the defunct weather satellite is home, after the European Space Agency successfully guided it to crash into the Atlantic Ocean—something that had never been done before, reports the
. US Space Command confirmed that...
North Korea Says
Spy Satellite Launch Failed
May 30, 2023 8:22 PM CDT
North Korea Says Spy Satellite Launch Failed
Launch prompted evacuation orders in S. Korea, Japan
- North Korea said its attempt to put the country’s first spy satellite into orbit failed Wednesday, an apparent embarrassment to leader Kim Jong Un over his push to boost his military capability in the protracted security tensions with the United States and South Korea. A statement published in state...
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy
Aimed at US, South Korea
May 17, 2023 10:09 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy Aimed at US, South Korea
Military spy satellite is aimed to stem 'US imperialists and [South] Korean puppet villains'
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un examined a finished military spy satellite, which his country is expected to launch soon, during a visit to his country's aerospace agency, where he described space-based reconnaissance as crucial for countering the US and South Korea. As the AP reports, Kim during Tuesday'...
NASA Flags Area Where
Retired Spacecraft Came Down
Apr 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
NASA Flags Area Where Retired Spacecraft Came Down
The RHESSI's time in space is done
- NASA's retired Reuven Ramaty High Energy Solar Spectroscopic Imager (RHESSI) spacecraft fell back to Earth slightly ahead of schedule and, ostensibly, without incident. NASA said Thursday that the Department of Defense confirmed the RHESSI reentered Earth’s atmosphere over the Sahara Desert at 8:21pm Wednesday. Gizmodo reports, by...
NASA Says Flash Over Kyiv
Wasn't Falling Satellite
Apr 20, 2023 4:49 AM CDT
NASA Says Flash Over Kyiv Wasn't Falling Satellite
Ukraine's air force says it wasn't Russian attack, either
- Since Russia launched its invasion in February 2022, the people of Kyiv have become all too familiar with things falling from the sky—but a flash that lit up the skies over the Ukrainian capital Wednesday night was unlike anything they had seen before. Officials initially believed it was a...
After Failed Launch,
Virgin Orbit Ceases Operating
Mar 16, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
After Failed Launch, Virgin Orbit Ceases Operating
Company that lost its rocket, satellites in January has furloughed most of its staff
- The good news for most of Virgin Orbit's employees on Wednesday: They're getting at least a week off, starting ASAP. The bad news: It's unpaid furlough, as the California-based company tries to seek out more funding after a failed rocket launch in the UK in January, reports...
NASA Satellite Falls
Harmlessly to Earth
Jan 9, 2023 11:58 AM CST
NASA Satellite Falls Harmlessly to Earth
NASA says Earth Radiation Budget Satellite reentered off the coast of Alaska
- After almost 40 years circling Earth, a retired NASA science satellite plunged harmlessly through the atmosphere off the coast of Alaska, NASA reported Monday. The Defense Department confirmed that the 5,400-pound satellite—placed in orbit in 1984 by astronaut Sally Ride—reentered late Sunday night over the Bering Sea,...
SpaceX: We Can't Keep
Paying for Ukraine Satellites
Oct 14, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
SpaceX: We Can't Keep Paying for Ukraine Satellites
CNN reports the company wants Pentagon to start picking up the tab for Starlink
- Last Friday, Elon Musk laid out on Twitter how much it's cost his SpaceX company this year to donate 20,000 or so Starlink satellite units to Ukraine: roughly $80 million, with projections by Musk that the figure will exceed $100 million by year's end. Now, it looks...
NASA Is Back in Contact
With Its Satellite
Jul 7, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
NASA Is Back in Contact With Its Satellite
Space agency had temporarily lost communications with CAPSTONE exploring lunar orbit
We have contact with CAPSTONE once again. Just hours after NASA announced Wednesday that communications had been lost with the 55-pound, $32.7 million satellite it sent into space to test-drive a new lunar orbit, the space agency reported that it has restored contact, per the AP . NASA had...
No, That's Not a Microwave
NASA Launched Into Space
Jun 28, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
No, That's Not a Microwave NASA Launched Into Space
Tiny CAPSTONE spacecraft will test-drive a new lunar orbit to be used by astronaut way station
- In between the gravities of the Earth and the moon lies a halo-shaped orbit that will be used by NASA's soon-to-come Gateway, a lunar rest stop of sorts for astronauts when they head back to the moon as part of the agency's Artemis missions . The agency has now...
N. Korea Set to Launch
'a Lot' of Spy Satellites
Mar 10, 2022 9:03 AM CST
N. Korea Set to Launch 'a Lot' of Spy Satellites
Satellite images show new missile-launch activity at shuttered Punggye-ri nuclear testing site
- Kim Jong Un says North Korea will launch "a lot" of spy satellites to monitor military actions by the US and its allies, following condemnation of its recent missile launches. The leader, who made the announcement while inspecting the country's National Aerospace Development Administration on Thursday, said the...
40 of 49 New SpaceX
Satellites May Have
Feb 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
40 of 49 New SpaceX Satellites May Have Already Burned
Company says geomagnetic storm on Friday is cause
- SpaceX launched 49 of its Starlink satellites on Thursday, only to report days later that up to 40 are doomed to fall from orbit and burn up in Earth's atmosphere. The company attributed the loss to a geomagnetic storm on Friday. That storm increased atmospheric density some 130 miles...
Iran Says It Launched
3 'Research Devices'
Dec 30, 2021 5:11 AM CST
Iran Says It Launched 3 'Research Devices'
It's not clear whether satellites made it into orbit
- After years of failures, Iran said Thursday that it had successfully launched three research devices from its satellite-carrying Simorgh rocket. The Iranian Space Agency launch was confirmed by the country's defense ministry, though it's not clear whether the satellites actually reached orbit,
reports. The country's...
With Elon Musk
Dec 28, 2021 6:48 AM CST
China Angry With Elon Musk Over Space Near-Misses
Says its space station twice had to avert collisions with Starlink satellites
- Twice over the past year, China says, its space station has almost been hit by satellites launched by Elon Musk's SpaceX. The country is now calling on the United Nations to get the US to abide by the treaty that regulates outer space, the
reports. In both July...
Russia Confirms Space Test,
NASA Calls It 'Unconscionable'
Nov 15, 2021 2:31 PM CST
Russia Confirms Space Test, NASA Calls It 'Unconscionable'
Moscow confirms it blew up a satellite, resulting in space debris
Russia has confirmed that it blew up an old satellite in space with a ground-based missile in a test of new technology. NASA issued a scathing condemnation of the test, saying it generated a dangerous amount of space debris, reports NBC News . NASA Administrator Bill Nelson called it "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.