Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Australian to America:
You Need to Be Muted
in case you missed it
Jun 19, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Australian to America: You Need to Be Muted
Patrick Marlborough unloads in Gawker
- Unhappy with the current state of discourse on social media? You're probably not as fed up as Australian Patrick Marlborough, who unloads on American tweeters (and America in general) in a profane and epic rant at Gawker . He recounts how the story of a guy who abruptly quit his...
Aussies Told to Turn the
Lights Off 2 Hours a Day
Jun 17, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
Aussies Told to Turn the Lights Off 2 Hours a Day
Aging coal infrastructure blamed for energy crisis
- It's winter in Australia, and the country's new government is dealing with a severe energy crisis. Some 8 million people in Sydney and elsewhere in New South Wales, the country's most populous state, have been urged to do without electricity as much as possible between 6pm and...
KFC Australia Swaps
Lettuce for Cabbage
Jun 7, 2022 7:13 PM CDT
KFC Australia Swaps Lettuce for Cabbage
Chain says flooding has destroyed crops
- KFC does not stand for Krunchy Fresh Cabbage but customers in Australia may have their doubts—the chain says that because of recent floods in New South Wales and Queensland, all of its products that normally include lettuce will now have a "lettuce and cabbage blend" until further notice....
This May Be Earth's
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
This May Be Earth's Largest Organism
A single Posidonia australis seagrass covers 77 square miles off western Australia
- Scientists have discovered what is arguably the world's largest living organism, which is roughly the size of 20,000 football fields and about 4,500 years old. It's a seagrass known as Poseidon's ribbon weed, or
which started as a seed spawned from two different...
Caught on Video
Jun 1, 2022 3:23 PM CDT
Kangaroo Attack Caught on Video
Aussie man wrestled animal to the ground
- An Australian man was lucky to survive with only minor injuries after an encounter with what he describes as a "six-foot mad roo trying to rip my little dogs out of the yard." Cliff Des, who lives in central Victoria state, tells 9News that he ended up fighting...
Australia Just Voted
Out Its Prime Minister
May 21, 2022 9:14 AM CDT
Australia Just Voted Out Its Prime Minister
Scott Morrison concedes defeat to opposition leader Anthony Albanese
- Australia's prime minister conceded defeat after an election Saturday that could deliver a minority government. Scott Morrison acted quickly despite millions of votes yet to be counted, because an Australian prime minister must attend a Tokyo summit on Tuesday with US, Japanese, and Indian leaders. "I believe it'...
Death of Diver Led Cops
to Staggering Cocaine Haul
May 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Death of Diver Led Cops to Staggering Cocaine Haul
Australian police fear drugs from total shipment worth $84M have already reached the public
- The death of a diver on the side of a coastal river in Australia led authorities to at least 220 pounds of cocaine—and that's apparently just the tip of the white powder iceberg. A man in high-end diving equipment was found unconscious near the Hunter River in Newcastle,...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
Qantas Announces Big Move
Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
May 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Qantas Announces Big Move Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
Airline will offer direct flights from Sydney to London, New York starting in 2025
- The journey from Sydney to London once took nearly 60 hours and consisted of seven stops along the way. Now, an update from Qantas on that front, via what it calls its "Project Sunrise." Australia's flagship airline announced Monday that in 2025 it will debut a nonstop...
On Endangered Koalas,
Scientists Hit on 'Way
to Bring Them Back'
Apr 13, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
On Endangered Koalas, Scientists Hit on 'Way to Bring Them Back'
Freezing koala sperm would require fewer koalas in captivity, improve genetic diversity: report
- Two months after Australia declared koalas as endangered across much of the country's east coast, researchers are hoping to stock up on frozen koala sperm. Scientists at the University of Newcastle in the southeastern state of New South Wales have proposed the creation of a lab to store that...
'Catch Me if You Can,'
Apr 10, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
'Catch Me if You Can,' Australian Style
Jody Harris was bold and brazen, but ultimately undone by love
- Alysha Searle, “an underslept, overcaffeinated barista,” was pulled over during her commute on Melbourne’s Eastern Freeway in 2006. The female officer berated Searle for running a red light and demanded to see her license. A moment later, the officer got an emergency call and told Searle to...
At Great Barrier Reef,
a 'Heart-Breaking' Scene
Mar 25, 2022 8:46 AM CDT
At Great Barrier Reef, a 'Heart-Breaking' Scene
4th mass bleaching event in 6 years is confirmed
- The Great Barrier Reef, thought to have been in recovery after three mass coral bleaching events in quick succession, has been devastated for a fourth time in six years. The Marine Park Authority has confirmed a new mass bleaching event through aerial surveys of 750 separate reefs across the 1,...
'Island Within an Island'
Ends 696-Day Border Closure
Mar 3, 2022 2:00 PM CST
'Island Within an Island' Ends 696-Day Border Closure
Western Australia is welcoming visitors again
- Australia is now fully open to vaccinated travelers. On Thursday, Western Australia became the last state to lift border restrictions. The state, which covers one third of the nation’s land area, closed its borders to most international and interstate travelers on April 5, 2020, to slow the spread of...
Elderly Sweethearts Sought in
Manhunt Die 48 Hours Apart
Feb 25, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Elderly Sweethearts Sought in Manhunt Die 48 Hours Apart
Ralph 'Terry' Gibbs said he abducted his sweetheart from nursing home out of love
- An elderly couple's love story, which included an escape from a nursing home and a mad dash across Australia, has come to a sad end—and not just with a conviction for unlawfully detaining a mentally ill person. Ralph "Terry" Gibbs, 80, pleaded guilty to deprivation of liberty...
Australia Accuses China
of 'Bullying' at Sea
Feb 21, 2022 12:06 PM CST
Australia Accuses China of 'Bullying' at Sea
Chinese warship shone a laser at Australian military pilot
- Australia and China are sniping at each other over an incident at sea. Australian authorities say a Chinese warship shone a military-grade laser at an Australian military jet, reports Reuters . But China says it was the Australian pilot who was in the wrong during the incident, which took place last...
Australia Busts Out Toy Koalas,
Welcomes Back Tourists
Feb 21, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Australia Busts Out Toy Koalas, Welcomes Back Tourists
After a 2-year hiatus, fully vaccinated travelers are now welcome
- International tourists and business travelers began arriving in Australia with few restrictions on Monday, bringing together families in tearful reunions after separations of two years or longer forced by some of the most draconian pandemic measures of any democracy in the world, reports the AP . Australia closed its borders to...
Victim of Brutal
Feb 17, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Victim of Brutal Shark Attack Is Identified
It was the first fatal attack in Sydney, Australia, since 1963
The victim of Sydney's first fatal shark attack in nearly 60 years has been identified as 35-year-old diving instructor Simon Nellist. ABC notes Nellist's "social media is filled with underwater pictures, showing him as an avid ocean lover." It's thought Nellist, who the BBC...
Koalas Now Endangered After
'Shockingly Fast Decline'
Feb 11, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Koalas Now Endangered After 'Shockingly Fast Decline'
Conservationists say they could end up extinct if habitat loss continues
- One of Australia's most iconic animals is now an endangered species in much of its range. The country's federal government has declared the koala endangered in New South Wales, Queensland, and the Australian Capital Territory after a steep decline in numbers. The marsupial was declared vulnerable in those...
May Be Found
Feb 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Captain Cook's Legendary Ship May Be Found
Researchers bicker over confirmation of wreck off Rhode Island
- The long-lost
, which Capt. James Cook used to sail the South Pacific while claiming New Zealand and Australia for Great Britain in 1770, has reportedly been found. Kevin Sumption, director of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced Thursday that "the final resting place of one of the most...
This 90-Year-Old Fish
Likes Belly Rubs
Jan 27, 2022 2:09 PM CST
This 90-Year-Old Fish Likes Belly Rubs
Australian lungfish Methuselah is believed to be world's oldest aquarium fish
- Meet Methuselah, the fish that likes to eat fresh figs, get belly rubs, and is believed to be the oldest living aquarium fish in the world. In the Bible, Methuselah was Noah's grandfather and was said to have lived to be 969 years old. Methuselah the fish isn't...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.