Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boy Saves Drowning Man
With CPR Learned 'on TV'
Sep 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Boy Saves Drowning Man With CPR Learned 'on TV'
12-year-old Austen MacMillan of Florida credited with saving the life of his behavioral therapist
- Twelve-year-old Austen MacMillan was swimming with his behavioral therapist in a backyard pool when the therapist decided to see how long he could hold his breath underwater. He didn't come back up. "It was like [five to six] minutes he was under the water and I was like,...
2 Swimmers Die
Within 24 Hours
Off NC's Outer Banks
Sep 6, 2023 6:23 PM CDT
2 Swimmers Die Within 24 Hours Off NC's Outer Banks
Official say conditions are extremely dangerous for all but the strongest swimmers
- After the deaths of two tourists in the space of 24 hours, authorities are urging visitors to North Carolina's Outer Banks to avoid swimming at ocean-side beaches. Authorities say a 28-year-old woman from Washington, DC, died Monday after she was "overtaken by strong waves" at Cape Hatteras National...
Man Dies Trying to Rescue
Mom, Child From NH River
Aug 21, 2023 11:03 AM CDT
Man Dies Trying to Rescue Mom, Child From NH River
They made it out, but Vincent Parr did not
- A Massachusetts man died over the weekend while rescuing relatives from a New Hampshire river in the second such death in the state less than a week, officials said. A mother and a child became stuck around midday Sunday in a fast stretch of the Swift River in Albany, New...
Teen Drowns After Jumping
From Waterfall in the Catskills
Aug 11, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Teen Drowns After Jumping From Waterfall in the Catskills
He and a friend got caught in current at the base
- A teenager from New York City died after jumping from the ledge of a waterfall in upstate New York's Catskill Mountains on Tuesday afternoon. The Brooklyn 16-year-old and a friend both jumped from the Fawn's Leap waterfall, which is about 24 feet above the surface of the water,...
Man's GoPro Ends Up
Filming His Fatal Drowning
Jul 19, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Man's GoPro Ends Up Filming His Fatal Drowning
Alaska man's body has not yet been found in lake where he disappeared
- An Alaska man inadvertently filmed his own drowning on a glacial lake with a GoPro camera mounted on his helmet, but authorities who recovered the camera have not yet found his body, officials said Tuesday. Alaska State Troopers said teams would continue to search Mendenhall Lake for the body of...
of Water Is
Jul 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
'The Amount of Water Is Extraordinary'
Heavy rainfall leads to flash floods across New York state, killing woman and stranding drivers
- Bridges collapsed, streets filled with water, and dozens of drivers were stranded Sunday evening due to flash flooding caused by heavy rainfall across a portion of New York state. The
New York Times
reports that the Hudson Valley, which includes the West Point Military Academy in Orange County, was hardest...
Sheriff: It Wasn't Rip Current
That Led to Ex-NFLer's Death
Jul 1, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Sheriff: It Wasn't Rip Current That Led to Ex-NFLer's Death
'No indication' of that as cause of Ryan Mallett's apparent drowning on Florida beach, per officials
- Officials are now saying that ex-NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett's death earlier this week in an apparent drowning off of Florida's shores wasn't caused by a rip current. Per CBS News , the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office posted a video Wednesday on Facebook with an update on the...
Death Toll Rises
at Florida Beach
Jun 26, 2023 4:57 PM CDT
Death Toll Rises at Florida Beach
3 Panama City tourists die in one day after plunging into rough Gulf surf
- Three tourists who ventured into Gulf of Mexico waters, though Florida authorities had closed the area to swimmers because of rough surf conditions at the time, died Saturday. Police described the deaths as "three separate fatal water incidents behind three different resorts" off Panama City Beach,
Jun 14, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Senior Drowns During a High School Tradition
Victor Rodriguez was taking part in senior scavenger hunt at New Jersey's Alcyon Lake
- A New Jersey teen died days before his high school graduation while trying to swim across a lake as part of what students describe as a school scavenger hunt. The Pitman High School "senior scavenger" has been a local tradition for more than 15 years, per CBS News . One...
Jun 12, 2023 4:22 PM CDT
Thieves Make Honeymoon Tragedy Even Worse
Couple's belongings were stolen after husband drowned at Hawaii beach
- A California man on his honeymoon died in a snorkeling accident in Hawaii—and while rescuers were fighting to revive him on an Oahu beach, somebody made his wife's day even worse. A witness tells KHON2 that a thief snatched the wife's belongings while rescuers were performing CPR...
FDNY Firefighter Drowns
Trying to Save Teen Daughter
Jun 12, 2023 8:40 AM CDT
FDNY Firefighter Drowns Trying to Save Teen Daughter
Mark Batista went into the sea when daughter began to struggle in a rip tide; she survived
- When he saw his teen daughter get in trouble in the ocean, New York City firefighter Mark Batista ran into the water to save her. His daughter lived, but Batista never made it out, reports NBC News . The 39-year-old drowned Friday morning at the Jersey Shore after bringing his family...
Rescuers Can Only Watch
as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
May 23, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Rescuers Can Only Watch as Man Stuck in Mud Drowns
Illinois' Zachary Porter got trapped while in Alaska
- Authorities in Alaska tried without luck to free a 20-year-old man who'd become stuck waist-deep in mud flats on Sunday and had to watch as he was drowned by the incoming tide. Zachary Porter of Lake Bluff, Illinois, had been walking with friends on the Turnagain Arm mud flats...
Cops: She Was Drowning
2nd Child When 3rd Intervened
May 23, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Drowning 2nd Child When 3rd Intervened
SC's Jamie Bradley-Brun charged with murder of 6-year-old, attempted murder of 8-year-old
- A 16-year-old girl who awoke to the sound of her 8-year-old sister screaming managed to save the sibling from an attempted drowning by her own mother, according to South Carolina police. Sadly, another sister, 6-year-old Mackaya Bradley-Brun, could not be saved. She's presumed to have drowned. Police have arrested...
Brother, Sister Die After
River Sweeps Them Away
May 22, 2023 3:14 PM CDT
Brother, Sister Die After River Sweeps Them Away
Boy, 4, and girl, 8 are killed in California
- A California river closed to the public because of its high water levels swept away two children Sunday afternoon. Crews searching the Kings River in central California found the body of an 8-year-old girl quickly and her 4-year-old brother's body on Monday, per KFSN . The Fresno County Sheriff’s...
Gym Class Turns Tragic: 'This
Death Has Rocked This School'
May 18, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Gym Class Turns Tragic: 'This Death Has Rocked This School'
Alaina Dildine drowned while swimming laps at her Indiana high school, with lifeguard on deck
- A 15-year-old high school student in Indiana apparently drowned Tuesday while swimming laps in gym class. The girl, identified on GoFundMe as Alaina Dildine, was with other students in the swimming pool at Whiteland Community High School when she went underwater near a divider, Clark-Pleasant Community School Corporation Superintendent Patrick...
Why Rescuers Often
Drown Saving Relatives
Jan 22, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Why Rescuers Often Drown Saving Relatives
At least 4 such people have died that way in Australia in January
- Australia typically sees six deaths each year in which people drown trying to save family members. With the count for January hitting three within the first week of the month alone, the
decided to take a look at why rescuers "often perish" while trying to save family members...
Secretly Died a 'Hero'
Oct 28, 2022 10:08 AM CDT
Multimillionaire Manga Creator Secretly Died a 'Hero'
Kazuki Takahashi drowned in Japan in July while attempting to save a girl and her parents
- When Kazuki Takahashi, creator of the popular manga Yu-Gi-Oh!, died in July, Japanese authorities gave few details on what had happened. They said the 60-year-old, whose body was found in snorkeling gear off the coast of Nago city in Okinawa, had died by drowning. But that wasn't the whole...
More Clues Emerge in Deaths
of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Sep 14, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
More Clues Emerge in Deaths of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Mother of children found on beach Monday is hospitalized, hasn't been charged
- Three young kids who were found early Monday along the shoreline of Brooklyn's Coney Island all died drowning deaths, and they've been ruled homicides, a spokesperson from New York City's Office of Chief Medical Examiner said on Tuesday. Police say no one has yet been arrested or...
Cops: Mom Likely Drowned
3 Kids at Coney Island Beach
Sep 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Cops: Mom Likely Drowned 3 Kids at Coney Island Beach
A sad scene overnight in Brooklyn
- Three children died after being found on a New York City beach early Monday, and police believe they were drowned by their mother. The children—a 7-year-old boy, a 4-year-old girl, and a 3-month-old boy—were discovered on Brooklyn's Coney Island beach shortly after 3am and taken to a...
Dad Was Intoxicated When
He and His Kids Drowned
Sep 8, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Dad Was Intoxicated When He and His Kids Drowned
Kyle Moorman and his 3 children set out to go night fishing
The Indiana father and his three children who were found dead in a submerged car in an Indianapolis pond in July died accidentally. The deaths of Kyle Moorman, 27, and his children—1-year-old Kyran Holland, 2-year-old Kyannah Holland, and 5-year-old Kyle Moorman II—were the result of accidental freshwater...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.