Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From
ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Critics of Mosul landmark getting rebuilt after ISIS destruction say plan ignores Iraq's heritage
- A UNESCO competition to rebuild devastated landmarks in one of the world's oldest cities isn't going over well. The UN agency launched its "Revive the Spirit of Mosul" project after the Islamic State occupied the Iraqi city from 2014 to 2017, wreaking havoc on its heritage sites,...
One Idea Was
to Let Dogs Eat All
the Bodies in Mosul
May 2, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
One Idea Was to Let Dogs Eat All the Bodies in Mosul
Volunteers describe 'thousands' of bodies left buried in rubble
- It's been 10 months since Iraq declared victory over ISIS in Mosul, but the bodies are still being collected. Volunteers are slowly combing over what the UN estimates to be 8 million tons of rubble—enough to form three separate piles as big as the Great Pyramid of Giza—...
Report: ISIS Had Ingredients
to Make Dirty Bombs
Jul 23, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
Report: ISIS Had Ingredients to Make Dirty Bombs
The terrorist group was sitting on two caches of cobalt-60; Washington Post
has a scoop on a terrifying near-miss in Mosul, Iraq. When the Islamic State seized Iraq's second-largest city in June 2014 it came into possession of two caches of cobalt-60, one of the key ingredients for making "dirty bombs," the paper reports. At the...
Missing German Girl
Found in Tunnel in Mosul
Jul 20, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
Missing German Girl Found in Tunnel in Mosul
Linda Wenzel disappeared a year ago at age 15
- A young Western woman captured amid the rubble of Mosul is believed to be Linda Wenzel, a German teenager suspected of running away to join ISIS. Wenzel, now 16, was 15 when she apparently converted to Islam in secret and was radicalized online, the
reports. She is believed to...
Amid Trump Jr. Mess,
2 Big Stories Got Underplayed
Jul 14, 2017 9:07 AM CDT
Amid Trump Jr. Mess, 2 Big Stories Got Underplayed
Mosul and the slaying of an NYPD officer, writes Peggy Noonan
- Three big stories unfolded this week, writes Peggy Noonan in the
Wall Street Journal
. The problem is that while one of them—the Donald Trump Jr. saga —got wall-to-wall coverage, the other two didn't get anywhere near the attention they deserved. The first is the recapturing of Mosul...
Iraq Declares Victory
Over ISIS in Mosul
Jul 9, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
Iraq Declares Victory Over ISIS in Mosul
Largest city under militants' control has fallen to Iraqi troops after heavy fighting
- Iraq's state TV says the country's prime minister has arrived in Mosul to declare victory over the Islamic State in the more than eight-month old operation to drive the militants from the city, reports the AP . "The commander in chief of the armed forces [Prime Minister] Haider...
When ISIS Is Beaten in
Syria and Iraq, Then What?
Jul 3, 2017 9:01 AM CDT
When ISIS Is Beaten in Syria and Iraq, Then What?
Without a clear strategy, it's a 'dangerous situation,' says one analyst
- The Islamic State appears to be nearly ousted in the Iraqi city of Mosul, and now US-backed forces have the last 2,500 ISIS holdouts trapped in the group's other stronghold of Raqqa, Syria, reports the
New York Times
. The militants are cut off from supplies, though the final...
ISIS Blows Up Iconic Mosque
in 'Admission of Defeat'
Jun 22, 2017 6:38 AM CDT
ISIS Blows Up Iconic Mosque in 'Admission of Defeat'
The Grand al-Nuri Mosque was more than 800 years old
- In what American commanders called a crime against the people of Iraq and the country's prime minister called an admission of defeat, officials say ISIS fighters blew up Mosul's most iconic mosque Wednesday night as government troops closed in. The Grand al-Nuri Mosque, more than 800 years old,...
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar
of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Jun 13, 2017 4:16 PM CDT
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Hundreds hit by food poisoning at Iraq camp for the displaced
- Food poisoning at a camp for displaced residents of Mosul has made more than 700 people sick, with hundreds hospitalized, Iraqi officials said Tuesday. The incident at the Hassan Sham U2 camp, about 13 miles east of Mosul, has become part of the ongoing dispute between Saudi Arabia and Qatar....
US Bomb Drop Set Off
Stash of ISIS Explosives
May 25, 2017 11:31 AM CDT
US Bomb Drop Set Off Stash of ISIS Explosives
105 civilians killed in Mosul strike in March: Pentagon report
- A US bomb that dropped on a building in the Iraqi city of Mosul set off explosive materials that had already been placed inside by Islamic State fighters, causing the structure to collapse and killing more than 100 civilians, a US military investigation concluded Thursday. The 500-pound bomb dropped by...
Pentagon: Blast Kills US
Service Member in Iraq
Apr 29, 2017 3:34 PM CDT
Pentagon: Blast Kills US Service Member in Iraq
It's 2nd American military fatality since start of Mosul operation
- The Pentagon says an explosive device has killed a US service member outside Mosul. The Pentagon on Saturday did not provide any further details, stating further information would be released as appropriate, the AP reports. Saturday's incident marks the second American military fatality since the start of the Mosul...
All the Animals in the Mosul
Zoo Perished—Except These 2
Apr 11, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
All the Animals in the Mosul Zoo Perished—Except These 2
Meet Simba the lion and Lula the bear, now headed to a new life in Jordan
- Lula and Simba are headed to a new life in Jordan. The bear and lion, respectively, were discovered in February in the war-decimated Montazah al-Morour Zoo in Mosul, Iraq, apparently the only two animal survivors in the facility, the BBC reports. All of the other creatures had starved to death...
Mosul Residents Got Exactly
the Wrong Advice
Mar 28, 2017 10:24 AM CDT
Mosul Residents Got Exactly the Wrong Advice
They were told to stay in their home before airstrikes came: Amnesty International
- An airstrike in Mosul 10 days ago reportedly killed dozens of civilians , and now an Amnesty International investigation says the US-led coalition wasn't careful enough in protecting locals as it fought ISIS in the Iraq city, the
reports. The human rights group says up to 150 civilians were...
US Coalition Investigating
Reports of Deadly Iraq Airstrike
Mar 25, 2017 12:18 PM CDT
US Coalition Investigating Reports of Deadly Iraq Airstrike
More than 100 civilians have been reported killed in Mosul neighborhood
- The US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State is investigating reports of an airstrike in a western neighborhood in the Iraqi city of Mosul that allegedly left more than 100 civilians dead last week, according to a statement given to the AP . The suspected high toll underscores the difficulties that Iraqi...
Iraqi Forces Battle ISIS
to Take Back Mosul Airport
Feb 23, 2017 12:33 AM CST
Iraqi Forces Battle ISIS to Take Back Mosul Airport
Push to retake city's western half has begun
- Iraqi federal police pushed their way into the perimeter of Mosul International Airport on Thursday, taking control of the runway amid fierce exchanges of fire with ISIS militants hunkered down in several airport buildings, police officials say. The advance came as part of a major assault that started Sunday to...
Turns ISIS Bomber
Feb 22, 2017 9:33 AM CST
Ex-Guantanamo Detainee Reportedly Turns ISIS Bomber
Relative says man in ISIS photo is Jamal al-Harith
- A man compensated by the UK government following his release from Guantanamo Bay in 2004 has reportedly died in a suicide bombing targeting a military base in Iraq. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack Monday, sharing a photo of the smiling British suicide bomber it identified as Abu...
Iraqi Forces Battle
for Mosul University
Jan 14, 2017 5:36 AM CST
Iraqi Forces Battle for Mosul University
ISIS is showing signs of weakening, commanders say
- Iraqi forces have secured less than a quarter of Mosul University as they face stiff resistance from ISIS fighters in the battle for control of the city, according to senior Iraqi commanders overseeing the advance. Convoys of Iraqi Humvees snaked through the sprawling university compound in eastern Mosul, pausing for...
Iraq Facing Potential
Dec 27, 2016 2:26 PM CST
Iraq Facing Potential 'Catastrophe of Biblical Proportions'
Mosul Dam breach could pose greater threat than ISIS
- As Iraqi forces continue their battle against ISIS in Mosul, there's another problem lurking just 25 miles away from the embattled city: the Mosul Dam, a structure the US Army Corps of Engineers has called the "most dangerous dam in the world," per a piece by Dexter...
US Offers $25M Bounty
for ISIS Leader
Dec 17, 2016 6:15 AM CST
US Offers $25M Bounty for ISIS Leader
Al-Baghdadi is thought to be holed up in Mosul
- The US doesn't want Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to be another one that got away. The State Department has more than doubled its reward for information leading to the arrest of the ISIS leader, who is rumored to be in Mosul or in ISIS-held territory west of the Iraqi city,...
Fighting Grows Fiercer
in Mosul Neighborhoods
Nov 19, 2016 7:47 AM CST
Fighting Grows Fiercer in Mosul Neighborhoods
Church rings bells for first time since liberation
- Iraqi troops faced stiff resistance Saturday from ISIS militants as they pushed deeper into eastern Mosul, backed by aerial support from the US-led international coalition, a senior military commander says. At dawn, troops moved into the Muharabeen and Ulama neighborhoods after fully liberating the adjacent Tahrir neighborhood on Friday, according...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.