Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Arrested After Tourist
Hit by Helicopter Rotor
Jul 26, 2022 7:43 PM CDT
3 Arrested After Tourist Hit by Helicopter Rotor
Jack Fenton died in 'gory' accident after disembarking in Athens
- Police in Greece are investigating the horrific death of a young British tourist at a heliport near Athens. Authorities say 22-year-old Jack Fenton was killed instantly when he walked behind a Bell 407 helicopter and was hit by its tail rotor soon after he disembarked from a flight from the...
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle'
After Medical Chopper Crashes
Jan 11, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle' After Medical Chopper Crashes
4 people, including infant patient, escaped crash in suburban Philadelphia
- A medical helicopter crashed Tuesday in a residential area of suburban Philadelphia with four people on board, including an infant—and are all expected to survive, authorities say. Rescue crews rushed to the crash near a church at an intersection in Upper Darby’s Drexel Hill neighborhood at about 1pm...
Family Stuck in Outback
Rescued After 5 Days
Nov 16, 2021 10:44 AM CST
Family Stuck in Outback Rescued After 5 Days
Kids ages 2 and 3 were helicoptered to safety along with parents
- A family of four, including two children under the age of 4, have been rescued from Australia's remote desert just as temperatures were expected to top 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Perth couple Ori and Lindsey Zavros and their children, aged 2 and 3, set out a year ago to travel...
Fenn Treasure Hunter
Must Pay for His Rescue
Nov 10, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Fenn Treasure Hunter Must Pay for His Rescue
Appeals court pans Mark Lantis' ill-advised 2018 hunt in Yellowstone
- A man who went in search of Forrest Fenn's famous treasure not only failed to find it but will now have to pay nearly $3,000—the cost of his airlift out of Yellowstone National Park. Wyoming's Mark Lantis—one of thousands enthralled by Fenn's hidden chest,...
She Heard About
Midair Crash on
the News. Then
'the Cops Came'
Oct 2, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
She Heard About Midair Crash on the News. Then 'the Cops Came'
2 are dead after collision between plane, helicopter over Chandler, Ariz.
- Authorities are asking for witnesses in Chandler, Ariz., after a midair crash between a plane and a helicopter Friday morning that killed two. Local police and the Federal Aviation Administration say the collision at Chandler Airpark took place between a single-engine Piper PA-28 and a Robinson R22 helicopter, both operated...
Pilot Saved 17
Aug 27, 2021 2:48 PM CDT
Lone Helicopter Pilot Saved 17 in Floods
'I don't want to lie,' says Joel Byers of Tennessee. 'It was almost a little fun for me'
- Nashville-based helicopter pilot Joel Boyers had just finished helping his fiancee earn her pilot's license on Saturday morning, and they were heading home to celebrate, when he received a frantic call from a woman in Pennsylvania. Her brother's home in the small city of Waverly, Tennessee, was underwater...
Pilot Lands in Town Illegally,
for a Dairy Queen Visit
Aug 12, 2021 10:09 AM CDT
Pilot Lands in Town Illegally, for a Dairy Queen Visit
'Well, I thought somebody must be hungry,' Tisdale, Saskatchewan mayor says
- Saskatchewan has experienced record-breaking heat this summer—but a desire for ice cream still isn't classed as an emergency, the Mounties say. A 34-year-old man has been charged with dangerous operation of an aircraft after landing his helicopter in a high school parking lot in the center of a...
NASA Just Flew
a Helicopter on Mars
Apr 19, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
NASA Just Flew a Helicopter on Mars
It's the first powered flight on another planet
- NASA just scored some serious bragging rights among Earthlings. The agency's Ingenuity helicopter completed a short flight on Mars—the first powered flight on another planet, reports the
. The 4-pound craft rose about 10 feet for 30 seconds or so before returning to the planet's surface....
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast
Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
Mar 4, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
31 rescued from Nova Scotia fishing vessel amid dark, stormy seas
- US and Canadian coast guard officials managed an impressive 12-hour rescue of all 31 crew members from a disabled fishing vessel off Nova Scotia over Tuesday and Wednesday, wrapping up shortly before the vessel sank. The 143-foot Atlantic Destiny was 130 miles from Nova Scotia's southwest coast when it...
6 Americans Dead After
Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Nov 12, 2020 11:05 AM CST
6 Americans Dead After Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Helicopter went down during routine peacekeeping mission near the Red Sea: MFO
- Eight peacekeepers, including six Americans, were killed in a helicopter crash during a routine mission in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, the international force that monitors the Israeli-Egyptian peace agreement said Thursday. A ninth peacekeeper, also American, was badly injured, per the AP . The Multinational Force and Observers said a French...
Florida Men Arrested
for 'Dangerous, Stupid'
Use of Laser
Sep 28, 2020 2:32 PM CDT
Florida Men Arrested for 'Dangerous, Stupid' Use of Laser
They pointed it at police helicopter in flight
- If two Florida men weren't already aware that flashing a laser at a pilot in flight is a felony in the state, they definitely are now. Police say two men were arrested in two days last week for pointing lasers at the Volusia Sheriff’s Office Air One helicopter,...
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs'
in Kobe Helicopter Crash
Jun 18, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs' in Kobe Helicopter Crash
The pilot may have 'misperceived' the angles
- The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported he was climbing when he actually was heading for the ground, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday, per the AP . Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing...
at Kobe Pilot's
System for Clues
May 16, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Autopsy Looks at Kobe Pilot's System for Clues
The official report also gives cause of death for all 9 passengers
- The pilot flying Kobe Bryant and seven others to a youth basketball tournament did not have alcohol or drugs in his system, and all nine sustained immediately fatal injuries when their helicopter slammed into a hillside outside Los Angeles in January, according to autopsies released Friday. The reports by the...
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's
Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
May 12, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
Brother of Pilot Flying Kobe's Copter: It Was Kobe, Gigi's Fault
Berge Zobayan says passengers on brother Ara Zobayan's chopper knew the risks, were negligent
- More than one lawsuit has been filed in the case of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, but it's his widow's wrongful death complaint that has the brother of the pilot pushing back. CNN reports that on Friday, Berge Zobayan filed a seven-page response to Vanessa Bryant's suit,...
Scenic Flight Ends
Mar 22, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Scenic Flight Ends With Tourists Taken Right to Police
New Zealand requires arrivals to self-quarantine for 14 days
- A couple taking a scenic helicopter flight Thursday over New Zealand's Fox Glacier was routed to a new destination after mentioning to a guide that they'd arrived in the country Monday from Hong Kong. A second helicopter was dispatched to take the couple off the glacier, Stuff reports,...
Not Happy About
Mar 2, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Kobe's Widow Not Happy About Allegations on Crash Site
Vanessa Bryant 'absolutely devastated' pictures may have been shared of victims' remains
- An investigation is ongoing into allegations that deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department leaked graphic photos of the site of the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash, including images that showed the victims' remains. Bryant's widow, Vanessa, is "absolutely devastated" by that claim, her lawyer says. "...
Never Fly on
Jan 28, 2020 7:01 AM CST
Bryant Would Never Fly on Helicopter With Wife: Source
He 'had a deal' with Vanessa, source says
- Kobe Bryant's three surviving children have lost their father—but insiders say the basketball superstar tried to make sure they would never be orphaned. Sources tell
that Bryant, who frequently used helicopters to get around, would not fly in one with wife Vanessa. "He and Vanessa had...
Kobe's Pilot Got
Jan 27, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Kobe's Pilot Got Special Clearance to Fly
Fog was so bad, police copters were grounded at the time
- It was foggy when the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven others crashed into a hillside just outside Los Angeles—so foggy that police helicopters had been grounded at the time . And CNN now reports that Bryant's pilot had actually gotten special clearance to fly. Specifically,...
Because of His Girls
Jan 27, 2020 2:59 PM CST
Kobe Bryant Used Helicopters Because of His Girls
He explained to Alex Rodriguez in 2018 that traffic was causing him to miss events
- Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, died in a helicopter crash Sunday en route to one of Gianna's basketball games—and, tragically,
reports the reason Bryant used helicopters in the first place was because of his four daughters. Bryant lived in Orange County and traveled to Los...
The World Reacts:
'There's No Words
to Express the Pain'
Jan 26, 2020 5:15 PM CST
The World Reacts: 'There's No Words to Express the Pain'
Shaquille O'Neal and Ava DuVernay are among those grieving Kobe Bryant's Death
- Kobe Bryant's tragic death Sunday has triggered an outpouring of grief from the "sports world and beyond," the
reports. Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, were among nine who perished when the NBA legend's private helicopter sputtered and crashed in the hills of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.