Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
US Trashes Leftover Gear,
Angering Afghan Scrap Dealers
May 10, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
US Trashes Leftover Gear, Angering Afghan Scrap Dealers
Even the most innocuous items were cut to bits before being sold
- The twisted remains of several all-terrain vehicles leaned precariously inside Baba Mir’s scrap yard, alongside smashed shards that were once generators, tank tracks that have been dismantled into chunks of metal, and mountains of tents reduced to sliced up fabric. It’s all US military equipment, per the AP...
Sheriff: Kids' Questions
Fluster School Bus Hijacker
May 7, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Sheriff: Kids' Questions Fluster School Bus Hijacker
Army trainee at Fort Jackson in SC boarded bus, eventually let children off; nobody was injured
- An Army trainee is being held in South Carolina after hijacking a school bus with 18 children and the driver on it, authorities said. No one was injured, CNN reports. Pvt. Jovan Collazo, 23—who was in his third week of basic training—wanted to go home, a Fort Jackson...
Army Buying Microsoft's
Mar 31, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
Army Buying Microsoft's High-Tech Headsets
Contract for augmented reality devices could pay $21B
- The Army has placed an order for more than 120,000 augmented reality headsets, a contract that could bring Microsoft at least $21 billion over 10 years. The IVAS, which is based on HoloLens headsets developed for entertainment and video games, enhances soldiers' awareness of their surroundings and helps them...
After 70 Years
Mar 7, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Revered Chaplain's Remains ID'd After 70 Years
Capt. Emil Kapaun, a Medal of Honor recipient, died a POW during Korean War
- Ever since Capt. Emil Kapaun was reported to have died while being held prisoner in Korea in 1951, his family has been without remains to bury. Although relatives sought answers, the chaplain was among the 7,500 service members unaccounted for from the Korean War, CNN reports. But Kapaun was...
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor
Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Feb 16, 2021 8:19 AM CST
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Teammates of Vietnam War hero Paris Davis wonder if race has been a factor in 55-year delay
- In the Hall of Valor , Paris Davis, 81, is recognized with a Soldier's Medal for his actions during the Vietnam War on May 13, 1965. A group of veterans, however, including some of his former teammates, say what happened a month later should have earned Davis the Medal of...
Army: 11 Soldiers Injured After
Ingesting Unknown Substance
Jan 29, 2021 3:51 AM CST
Army: 11 Soldiers Injured After Ingesting Unknown Substance
2 Fort Bliss soldiers are in critical condition
- Eleven soldiers were injured after ingesting an unknown substance during a field training exercise at Fort Bliss in Texas, the US Army said late Thursday. Two of the soldiers were in critical condition, the 1st Armored Division said in a statement, reports the AP . All eleven were placed under the...
in Soldier’s Death
Jan 3, 2021 5:10 PM CST
16-Year-Old Charged in Soldier’s Death
A 23-year-old soldier also faces murder charges
- A 16-year-old boy has been charged in connection to the killing of Hayden Harris , an Army corporal stationed at New York’s Fort Drum who was found shot to death in New Jersey last month, NBC News reports. Also charged with felony murder and weapons charges is Jamaal Mellish, 23,...
Suspect in 'Abhorrent' Bowling
Alley Shooting a Green Beret
Dec 28, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Suspect in 'Abhorrent' Bowling Alley Shooting a Green Beret
Army Sgt. 1st Class Duke Webb was in Ill. on leave from Fla.'s Eglin Air Force Base, authorities say
- An Army Green Beret has been arrested and charged with murder after a weekend shooting at an Illinois bowling alley that left three senior citizens dead and three injured, including two teens. Police say that Sgt. 1st Class Duke Webb, an active service member who's been with the US...
Army-Navy Game: This
Hasn't Happened in 77 Years
Dec 12, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Army-Navy Game: This Hasn't Happened in 77 Years
West Point will host the game due to coronavirus restrictions
- The "Army-Navy" game is returning to West Point. For the first time in nearly eight decades, the revered football matchup will be played Saturday at West Point's Michie Stadium, Fox News reports. The move away from Philadelphia was prompted by coronavirus restrictions in Pennsylvania that limit the number...
2 Generals Among Those
Punished in Fort Hood Failures
Dec 8, 2020 1:25 PM CST
2 Generals Among Those Punished in Fort Hood Failures
Suicides, homicides, or accidents killed 25 soldiers in a year
- Army leaders are firing or suspending 14 officers and enlisted soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, and ordering policy changes to address chronic leadership failures at the base that contributed to a widespread pattern of violence including murder, sexual assaults, and harassment. Two general officers are among those being removed from...
Army Suspects Foul Play
in Fort Bragg Killings
Dec 5, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Army Suspects Foul Play in Fort Bragg Killings
An official says it may have been a drug deal gone wrong
- The Army suspects that a drug deal gone wrong led to the killings earlier this week of a master sergeant and an Army veteran, an official tells CBS News . The bodies of Master Sgt. William J. Lavigne II, 37, and Timothy Dumas, 44, were found Wednesday in a training area...
Army: Guillen Died
'in the Line of Duty'
Oct 21, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Army: Guillen Died 'in the Line of Duty'
That means murdered Fort Hood soldier's family is entitled to benefits
- The family of murdered Ford Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen is entitled to military benefits, according to the US Army , which has classified Guillen's death as occurring "in the line of duty." The 20-year-old soldier disappeared from an armory at the Texas base on April 22. Her family'...
Military Suicides Rise
Up to 20% in 2020
Sep 27, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Military Suicides Rise Up to 20% in 2020
Leaders assume pandemic is part of the cause
- Military suicides have increased by as much as 20% this year compared to the same period in 2019, and some incidents of violent behavior have spiked as service members struggle under COVID-19, war-zone deployments, national disasters, and civil unrest. While the data is incomplete and causes of suicide are complex,...
Fort Hood Commander
Removed From Post
Sep 1, 2020 5:24 PM CDT
Fort Hood Commander Removed From Post
Maj. Gen Scott Efflandt has also lost his next assignment
- The commander who has overseen Fort Hood during numerous troubling incidents is being removed from the post and has also lost his next assignment. Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt will no longer be taking command of the 1st Armored Division, which NBC describes as a potentially "career-ending move." The...
Sep 1, 2020 12:04 AM CDT
Lieutenant Suspended After Anti-Semitic TikTok Joke
2nd Lt. Nathan Freihofer has been removed from all leadership roles pending a probe
- An Army officer stationed at Georgia's Fort Stewart has been removed from leadership positions after an anti-Semitic social media post. "For legal reasons this is a joke," 2nd Lt. Nathan Freihofer captioned the TikTok video, in which he told a joke involving Jewish people, the Holocaust, and...
Was Part of
Aug 22, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Missing Soldier Was Part of 'Sexual Contact' Investigation
The Army had relocated Sgt. Elder Fernandes to another unit
- A missing Fort Hood soldier had been part of a sexual-assault investigation before he disappeared, CNN reports. The Army said Thursday that Sgt. Elder Fernandes, who vanished Monday, had been moved to another unit after being the recipient of possible "abusive sexual contact." A public affairs officer for...
US: Former Green Beret
Sold Out His Country
Aug 22, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
US: Former Green Beret Sold Out His Country
Peter Rafael Dzibinksi Debbins is accused of sharing secrets with Russian operatives
- A former Green Beret was collared Friday and accused of conspiring with Russian intelligence agents for over 15 years, the
reports. Peter Rafael Dzibinksi Debbins, 45, allegedly gave operatives of the GRU—Russia's foreign intelligence agency—sensitive information between 1996 and 2011. That included "details of his...
Another Fort Hood
Soldier Goes Missing
Aug 21, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Another Fort Hood Soldier Goes Missing
US Army asks for public's help in finding Sgt. Elder Fernandes
- Over the course of a month this summer, the bodies of three Fort Hood soldiers have been found near the Texas army base. Now, another soldier is missing. Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, was last seen or heard from Monday afternoon, when his staff sergeant dropped him off at home, the...
Are Not Safe
at Fort Hood'
Jul 22, 2020 7:27 AM CDT
'Our Soldiers Are Not Safe at Fort Hood'
3rd soldier in a month found dead near Texas base
- The body of a Fort Hood soldier has been found near the Texas army base for the third time in a month. Fort Hood officials say Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, of Pensacola, Fla., was found unresponsive near Stillhouse Hollow Lake, a reservoir some 15 miles from the base, on Friday,...
to Green Berets
Jul 9, 2020 3:43 PM CDT
Army Admits First Woman to Green Berets
National Guard becomes an engineer sergeant after a year of training
- About 400 soldiers just successfully completed the 53-week Special Forces Qualification Course at Fort Bragg. Each of them is special, their parents would agree, but one is in a league of her own—the first woman to ever join the Army's Green Berets. "Each and every one of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.