Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We Now Know Who
Guy on This Zeppelin
Album Cover Is
Nov 10, 2023 11:39 AM CST
We Now Know Who Guy on This Zeppelin Album Cover Is
Meet Lot Long, a 19th-century UK thatcher whose photo inspired the front of 'Led Zeppelin IV'
- If you ever felt sorry for the poor branch-carrying dude on the cover of the
Led Zeppelin IV
album but took comfort in thinking it was simply a painting of a fictional character, get ready to feel a little uncomfortable. Turns out the "Stick Man" was a real person,...
Photo of Cops With Recaptured
Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Sep 14, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Photo of Cops With Recaptured Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Controversy arises over pic taken in Pennsylvania after Danelo Cavalcante was back in custody
- A group photo of about two dozen officers in tactical gear posing with escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante minutes after his capture on Wednesday in southeastern Pennsylvania drew criticism from policing reform advocates and some members of the public. The moment of the photo was captured by a KYW-TV television news...
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in
Movie. He's Not Happy About It
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in Movie. He's Not Happy About It
Taylor Hazlewood says streaming platform stole his photo from Instagram, insinuated he was a killer
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
, a documentary on Netflix, debuted earlier this year, detailing the rise and fall of Caleb McGillvary, a Canadian who once went viral after helping an assault victim, then was later convicted of murder in an unrelated case. But it was the photo of a completely...
They Care for Precious
Images in a 40-Degree Vault
Apr 1, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
They Care for Precious Images in a 40-Degree Vault
Inside the Bettmann Archive
- As far as jobs go, Leslie Stauffer and Sarah Kubiak have remarkable ones. They're the sole archivists of the Bettmann Archive, a collection of about 11 million historical photographs that's managed by Getty Images but, more specifically, by the two women. Writing for BuzzFeed News , Kenneth Bachor and...
Tennessee Governor Signs
Mar 3, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Tennessee Governor Signs 'Anti-Drag' Bill
Bill Lee has his own drag controversy
- As promised, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee on Thursday signed what's being referred to as an "anti-drag" bill, though the word "drag" does not actually appear in the legislation, the AP reports. The new law categorizes "male or female impersonators" as "adult" performers, meaning they cannot...
Shares a 'Mystical' Photo
Feb 27, 2023 9:10 AM CST
Mexico's President Shares a 'Mystical' Photo
Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador didn't appear to be joking about elf-like creature spotted in a tree
- Mexico's president posted a photo on his social media accounts Saturday showing what he said appeared to be a mythological woodland spirit similar to an elf. President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador didn't seem to be joking when he posted the photo of an "aluxe," a mischievous...
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a
Pic Began Making the Rounds
Feb 8, 2023 6:46 AM CST
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Police officials now say cop Demetrius Haley, since fired, circulated pic of Nichols to at least 5 people
- Five Memphis police officers have been fired and charged with murder in the death of Tyre Nichols , the 29-year-old Black man who died three days after a brutal beating during a traffic stop. Now, a new allegation against one of those former cops: According to documents released by the Memphis...
50 Years Later, New
'Hope' for 'Napalm Girl'
Jun 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
50 Years Later, New 'Hope' for 'Napalm Girl'
Laser treatments have lessened Kim Phuc's pain, restored sensation
- "I heard the noise,
, and then suddenly there was fire everywhere around me and I saw the fire all over my arm," Kim Phuc said Tuesday, recalling a moment 50 years earlier when a napalm bomb struck her Vietnamese village. The subject of a Pulitzer Prize-winning...
'Napalm Girl': We Should See
Consequences of Shootings
Jun 7, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
'Napalm Girl': We Should See Consequences of Shootings
'It is easier to hide from the realities of war if we don't see the consequences,' she writes at 'NYT'
- Kim Phuc Phan Thi grew up hating the June 8, 1972 photograph by Nick Ut that cemented her as "Napalm Girl." "I thought to myself, 'I am a little girl. I am naked. Why did he take that picture? Why didn’t my parents protect me?'...
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His
Head in Famous Pic Reunite
May 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His Head in Famous Pic Reunite
Jacob Philadelphia, 5 when Pete Souza snapped photo, is now 18 and about to graduate high school
- Not every kid gets a video call from former President Barack Obama when they graduate high school. Jacob Philadelphia isn't just any kid, however. In 2009, Jacob, whose dad then served on the National Security Council, visited the White House as a 5-year-old and met up with Obama in...
This Nude Is Now
Most Expensive Photo Ever
May 15, 2022 6:01 AM CDT
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Man Ray's 'Le Violon d'Ingres' sells for more than $12M
A Man Ray photograph didn't just break the record for the most expensive photo sold at auction, it obliterated it. "Le Violon d’Ingres" sold for $12.4 million at Christie's on Saturday, well above estimates of $5 million to $7 million and nearly triple the...
Dua Lipa Posted
Pic of Herself
Now, a Lawsuit
Jul 10, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Dua Lipa Posted Pic of Herself on Instagram. Now, a Lawsuit
Complaint against singer alleges she didn't have right to put paparazzi pic on social media
- Someone took a picture of Dua Lipa on an airport line two years ago, and now she's being sued for posting it. Yahoo Entertainment reports the 25-year-old Grammy Award-winning singer was hit by a complaint brought by Integral Images, which is seeking more than $150,000 and a jury...
Sorry: 'I Made
May 24, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
After Eyebrow- Raising Picture, Whitmer Says Sorry: 'I Made a Mistake'
Photo showed Mich. governor with large group at local restaurant, violating her own health order
- Earlier this month, Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services updated its guidelines regarding eating out, mandating that patrons dining together be restricted to six people, and that groups be spaced 6 feet apart. On Saturday, a notable name violated that health order: Gretchen Whitmer, the state's governor,...
Hijacked My Life'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
'That Picture Hijacked My Life'
Mary Ann Vecchio, the girl in famous Kent State photo, reflects 50 years later
- You've seen the photo—a young woman kneeling over the body of Kent State student Jeffrey Miller, after he and three other students were fatally shot by National Guard troops on May 4, 1970. What may come as a surprise is that the young woman in the photo was...
First Pic of Tiger Woods
Since Feb. Crash Emerges
Apr 24, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
First Pic of Tiger Woods Since Feb. Crash Emerges
Golfer posted it himself, showing him smiling and on crutches at home in Florida
- Tiger Woods is back on the green, though with an orthopedic boot encasing his leg and a dog in tow. On Friday, the 45-year-old golfer, who was in a serious car accident in late February in Los Angeles, posted the first pic of himself since the crash, showing himself smiling...
This Would Have Been
Big Birthday for John Lennon
Oct 9, 2020 9:48 AM CDT
This Would Have Been Big Birthday for John Lennon
Paul McCartney posts tribute to his fellow Beatle's 80th
- It's hard enough to wrap our heads around the fact that John Lennon was killed nearly 40 years ago. Now another fact to make our jaws drop: He would've been 80 years old Friday. And as tributes circulate on the internet , one "heartfelt message" in particular is...
It's a Photo of a
Bearded Dead Man.
Could It Be Priceless?
in case you missed it
Oct 4, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
It's a Photo of a Bearded Dead Man. Could It Be Priceless?
Some experts believe the dead man is Abraham Lincoln
- The image is haunting, depicting a gaunt-faced man with a familiar beard, staring ahead lifelessly. The right eye is bulging and appears disfigured from an unseen wound. Some experts believe the man is Abraham Lincoln, captured hours after the nation's 16th president succumbed to an assassin's bullet on...
Oregon Man Killed
While Posing for Photo
Sep 29, 2020 2:47 PM CDT
Oregon Man Killed While Posing for Photo
Freak accident happened in Oregon's Oswald West State Park
- A 43-year-old Oregon man is dead after a freak accident that occurred while he posed for a photo in Oswald West State Park. KOIN reports Steven Gastelum of Seaside was at the Devil’s Cauldron trail with another person on Sunday and climbed a tree along the cliff, intending to...
Falwell: Uh, About That Photo
Aug 5, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Falwell: Uh, About That Photo
The president of Liberty University responds to uproar over 'unzipped pants' photo
- Jerry Falwell Jr.'s last apology was about a face-mask joke . This time, an unexpected photo: "I've apologized to everybody," Falwell said on WLNI 105.9FM, a Virginia radio station. "And I've promised my kids I'm going to try to be—I'm...
They'd Been Fighting. But a
Stressful Shift Brought 'Love'
Apr 16, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
They'd Been Fighting. But a Stressful Shift Brought 'Love'
Photo of nurse couple shared around the world
- Between surgeries one stressful morning, Ben Cayer and Mindy Brock—husband and wife, and fellow nurse anesthetists—peered through layers of protective gear and locked eyes. It was a lovers' gaze in the most unlikely situation. A co-worker was there to snap a picture. Now the image, shared on social...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.