Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and current events about Russia on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wife of Ukraine Spy Chief
Nov 28, 2023 12:42 PM CST
Wife of Ukraine Spy Chief Is Poisoned
Marianna Budanova is recovering, as suspicions turn to Russia
- The wife of Ukraine's spymaster was poisoned with heavy metals and is now recovering in the hospital, say Ukrainian officials. Marianna Budanova, a psychologist, is the wife of Kyrylo Budanov, who heads the GUR military intelligence agency, reports Reuters . Russia has a long history of poisoning its enemies , per...
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched
Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Nov 24, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials say Russia has upped its attempts to overtake city of Avdiivka
- Ukraine launched one of the biggest drone attacks on the Moscow-annexed Crimean Peninsula since the full-scale war that started with Russia's invasion 21 months ago, Russian officials said Friday. They didn't mention any casualties or damage. At the same time, Ukrainian officials reported that the Kremlin's forces...
'Russia Started This':
Nov 24, 2023 6:02 AM CST
'Russia Started This': Finland Closes Border Crossings
Country of 5.6M accuses Russia of sending migrants without visas to its borders
- Finland says Russia is sending hundreds of migrants from African and Middle Eastern countries across its border illegally and has closed all but one border crossing in response. Finland closed four of eight land border crossings last week, but reported "organized" crossings had continued and expanded north. It now...
South: We'll Know Within Days
if North's Spy Satellite Works
Nov 23, 2023 8:10 AM CST
South: We'll Know Within Days if North's Spy Satellite Works
Spy agency says intelligence shows North Korea had help from Russia
- South Korea has concluded that Russian support likely enabled North Korea to put a spy satellite into orbit for the first time this week, and it should be clear in several days whether it is functioning properly, officials said Thursday. In a closed-door briefing, South Korea's spy agency cited...
North Korea Gets Some Russian
Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Nov 21, 2023 7:48 AM CST
North Korea Gets Some Russian Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Another rocket launch after 2 failures, ostensibly to deploy a spy satellite
- North Korea has launched a rocket in what may be its third attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit, according to South Korea's military. A rocket was launched late Tuesday, the military in Seoul said, but no further details were immediately available, reports the AP . In North Korea'...
on 'Wanted' List
Nov 20, 2023 11:20 AM CST
Russia Puts Ukrainian 2016 Eurovision Winner on 'Wanted' List
Moscow charges Jamala with violating law against spreading fake information about war in Ukraine
- Russia has placed a Ukrainian singer who won the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest on its "wanted" list, state news agencies reported Monday. The reports said an Interior Ministry database listed singer Susana Jamaladinova as being sought for violating a criminal law, reports the AP . The independent news site Mediazona,...
to Hit Kyiv
Nov 11, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Ukraine Officials: Russia Tried to Hit Kyiv With Missile
Local officials say ballistic missile, first one in nearly 2 months in nation's capital, was shot down
- Russian forces targeted Ukraine's capital, Kyiv, as part of an overnight bombardment felt across the country, local officials said Saturday, while drones that Russian officials blamed on the Ukrainian military targeted areas around Moscow and the Russian region of Smolensk. A ballistic missile was shot down as it approached...
Russia Celebrates Itself
While Taking Digs at West
Nov 4, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Russia Celebrates Itself While Taking Digs at West
Expo precedes election in which Putin could seek another term
- With pointed disdain for the West, Russia on Saturday unveiled a sprawling exposition highlighting the nation's accomplishments, which will run through the months leading to the presidential election in which President Vladimir Putin is widely expected to seek a new term. Putin issued a decree in March to hold...
Putin Move Raises Fears
of More Nuclear Tests
Nov 2, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Putin Move Raises Fears of More Nuclear Tests
Russian leader signs bill revoking ratification of test ban treaty
- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday signed a bill revoking Russia's ratification of a global nuclear test ban, a move that Moscow said was needed to establish parity with the United States. Putin has said that rescinding the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, also known as the CTBT, would...
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in
Single Day Is a 2023 Record
Nov 2, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in Single Day Is a 2023 Record
In just 24 hours, 118 settlements in 10 of the nation's regions were bombarded: interior minister
- This week, Ukraine saw more than 100 of its settlements attacked by Russia over a one-day span—the most in that time period since the war between the two nations started in February 2022. "Over the last 24 hours, the enemy shelled 118 settlements in 10 regions," Ihor...
Hundreds Storm Russia Airport
to Protest Flight From Israel
Oct 30, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Hundreds Storm Russia Airport to Protest Flight From Israel
Some were chanting antisemitic slogans, officials say
- Hundreds of people stormed into the main airport in Russia's Dagestan region and onto the landing field Sunday, chanting antisemitic slogans and seeking passengers arriving on a flight from Tel Aviv, Israel, Russian news agencies and social media reported. Russian news reports said the crowd surrounded the airliner, which...
Russians, Western Diplomats
Honor Victims of Soviet Terror
Oct 29, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Russians, Western Diplomats Honor Victims of Soviet Terror
Limited event takes place during prosecutions over war dissent
- Russians commemorated the victims of Soviet state terror on Sunday while the Russian government continues its crackdown on dissent in the country. The Returning of the Names event was organized by the Nobel Peace Prize-winning human rights group Memorial, the AP reports. The commemoration has traditionally been held in Moscow...
Oct 25, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Russia Says It Practiced Nuclear Strike
Parliament approves dropping ratification of test ban treaty
- Russian parliament on Wednesday rescinded its ratification of a nuclear test ban treaty signed in 1996, and, as if for emphasis, the nation's military then conducted a simulated nuclear strike. State TV showed Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu reporting on the rehearsal to President Vladimir Putin, the BBC reports. The...
Russia Orders 2nd
to Stay in Jail
Oct 23, 2023 1:51 PM CDT
Russia Orders 2nd US Journalist to Stay in Jail
Russian-American editor Alsu Kurmasheva will remain behind bars until at least early December
- A Russian court on Monday ordered a Russian-American journalist who was detained last week on charges of failing to register as a foreign agent to remain in custody until early December, her employer reported. Alsu Kurmasheva, an editor for the US government-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's Tatar-Bashkir service, appeared...
Oct 19, 2023 8:34 AM CDT
Russia Nabs Another US Journalist
Dual Russia-US citizen Alsu Kurmasheva of RFE/RL accused of plotting to share military info
- A second US journalist has been detained in Russia. Alsu Kurmasheva, a dual Russian-American citizen and Prague-based editor for Radio Free Europe-Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), was detained Wednesday in the southwest city of Kazan, which she was prevented from leaving months earlier. She'd traveled to Russia in May for a...
Russian Official Reported
for Remark About Invasion
Oct 15, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Russian Official Reported for Remark About Invasion
Governor said military wasn't prepared for the war, saying, 'We don't need it'
- A Russian governor was accused by critics on Sunday of "discrediting Russia's armed forces" after telling residents in her region that the country had no need for its war in Ukraine. Natalya Komarova, the governor of the Khanty-Mansiysk region and a member of President Vladimir Putin's governing...
on City Assault:
'The Enemy Has
Oct 14, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Ukraine Official on City Assault: 'The Enemy Has Not Stopped'
Eastern city of Avdiivka continues to get pummeled by Russian forces for 5th day straight
- Ukrainian officials reported intense combat, characterized by relentless assaults by Russian forces, as the ongoing attack on the eastern Ukrainian city of Avdiivka entered its fifth consecutive day on Saturday. "The enemy has not stopped either assaulting or shelling positions" around Avdiivka, city head Vitalii Barabash said on Ukrainian...
After 6 Months
Oct 10, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Gershkovich Appeal Denied After 6 Months Behind Bars
'Wall Street Journal' reporter to remain in Russian custody until at least Nov. 30
Wall Street Journal
reporter Evan Gershkovich lost an appeal Tuesday to be released from jail on espionage charges, meaning he'll remain behind bars at least through Nov. 30. Gershkovich, 31, who's already spent six months in custody, had a mostly blank expression as he appeared in the defendant'...
Space Station Springs Another
Leak, Raising Concerns
Oct 10, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Space Station Springs Another Leak, Raising Concerns
This is the 3rd leak in a year on Russian segment of ISS
- For the third time in a year, the Russian segment of the International Space Station has sprung a coolant leak, adding to concerns about the country's space program. After the Russian space agency Roscosmos on Monday announced the leak from a backup radiator circuit, and flakes of frozen coolant...
Putin Implicates Drugs, Alcohol,
Grenades in Prigozhin's Death
Oct 6, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Putin Implicates Drugs, Alcohol, Grenades in Prigozhin's Death
Russian president says grenades onboard the plane may have caused crash
- US officials may believe Vladimir Putin ordered the death of Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin, but the Russian president himself is sharing a different theory on the plane crash that killed the mercenary leader. In his first comments on the possible cause of the wreck, which is widely believed to have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.