Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 17, 2023 12:33 PM CST
Ramaswamy Says Who He Thinks Are 'Vermin'
GOP presidential candidate echoes Trump, uses word to apply to San Francisco's homeless people
- Former President Trump's use of the word "vermin" last weekend to describe his political enemies raised a red flag , with critics calling it "straight-up Nazi talk" and a Trump rep responding by calling those critics "snowflakes." Now, another GOP presidential candidate is getting in on...
Paul Pelosi Testifies
About Hammer Attack
Nov 14, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Paul Pelosi Testifies About Hammer Attack
It was his first public recounting of 2022 attack
- Paul Pelosi recounted publicly for the first time Monday what happened the night he was attacked by a man in the San Francisco home he shares with former US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, recalling how shocking it was to see a man standing at his bedroom door, then how the...
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet
Next Week in California
Nov 10, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet Next Week in California
Leaders to meet Wednesday on the sidelines of summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet Wednesday in California in the first engagement between the leaders of the world's two biggest economies in nearly a year, Biden administration officials said. The White House has said for weeks that it anticipated Biden and Xi would meet on...
This Is the Most
Dangerous City to Drive In
Oct 24, 2023 5:43 PM CDT
This Is the Most Dangerous City to Drive In
Detroit is the most risky, while New York is safest, per SellMax
- There's a risk anytime you get behind the wheel, but driving in some places is more dangerous than others. Using stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, SellMax looked at cities across the US, grouping fatality data based on speeding, DUIs, and other variables. The car-selling site found...
Driver Who Rammed Chinese
Consulate Had Crossbow, Knife
Oct 20, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Driver Who Rammed Chinese Consulate Had Crossbow, Knife
Authorities don't yet have a motive
- A man who crashed a car at the Chinese Consulate earlier this month had a crossbow and arrows and swung a knife at officers before a police sergeant killed him, San Francisco police said Thursday, offering the first official details of the attack. San Francisco police showed body camera footage...
San Francisco Mourners Recall
Feinstein as Fearless, a Lioness
Oct 4, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
San Francisco Mourners Recall Feinstein as Fearless, a Lioness
Mourners call the late senator fearless and a champion of the rights of others
- Mourners streamed into San Francisco City Hall on Wednesday to pay their respects to the late US Sen. Dianne Feinstein, honoring her as fearless, smart, and the glue who kept the city together after two political assassinations that catapulted her into the mayor's office and the national spotlight. "...
Game Developers Irate Over
'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Sep 15, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Game Developers Irate Over 'Phenomenally Unpopular' Fee
Unity Technologies shuts 2 offices after death threat comes in over controversial new cost
- Earlier this week, Unity Technologies, a video game software company based in San Francisco, made an announcement that roiled the gaming world: It would begin charging developers a 20-cent fee each time a user installed one of its games, a "phenomenally unpopular" move that set off "widespread anger,...
SF Officials Say Robotaxis
Contributed to Person's Death
Sep 6, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
SF Officials Say Robotaxis Contributed to Person's Death
Protests followed San Francisco Fire Department's report
- Protesters gathered at the San Francisco headquarters of robotaxi company Cruise Monday after claims came out that two of the company's self-driving vehicles contributed to a person's death last month. The San Francisco Fire Department released a report last week regarding the August 14 incident, in which an...
Robotaxis Allowed to
Expand Services in
Aug 11, 2023 4:46 AM CDT
Robotaxis Allowed to Expand Services in San Francisco
State commission gives 2 rival services the green light
- California regulators on Thursday approved an expansion that will allow two rival robotaxi services to operate throughout San Francisco at all hours, despite safety worries spurred by recurring problems with unexpected stops and other erratic behavior that resulted in unmanned vehicles blocking traffic, including emergency vehicles. The state's Public...
'X' No Longer Marks Musk's HQ
Jul 31, 2023 4:53 PM CDT
'X' No Longer Marks Musk's HQ
Crews remove huge sign on San Francisco building after complaints
- After sparking complaints about the safety of the structure and its blinding illumination, the giant "X" sign atop the downtown San Francisco building housing headquarters for the company formerly known as Twitter has been removed. The huge, flashing, unpermitted marker lasted three days. City officials said they received 24...
Owner for Closing
Jul 25, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
Possible Surprise Owner for Closing Anchor Brewing: Its Workers
Unionized staffers are trying to raise funds to save San Francisco beer-maker
- Earlier this month, things looked grim for Anchor Brewing; in fact, Wikipedia was still describing the San Francisco-based brewery in the past tense as of Tuesday morning. Its shutdown may not be permanent, however—at least not if its workers have a say. Quartz reports Anchor's unionized staff is...
Diversify or Die: San Francisco's
Downtown Is a Wake-up Call
Jul 22, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Diversify or Die: San Francisco's Downtown Is a Wake-up Call
Though the pandemic is fading, people aren't coming back
- Jack Mogannam, manager of Sam's Cable Car Lounge in downtown San Francisco, relishes the days when his bar stayed open past midnight every night, welcoming crowds that jostled on the streets, bar hopped, window browsed, or just took in the night air. He's had to drastically curtail...
Man Who Hosed Homeless
Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Jul 20, 2023 2:15 AM CDT
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Collier Gwin says what he did was wrong, but officials need to do something about the city
- The San Francisco gallery owner who was recorded hosing down a homeless woman camped out on the sidewalk and later charged with battery over the incident is speaking out. In a piece at the
Wall Street Journal
, Collier Gwin admits he lost his temper and shouldn't have sprayed the...
Here Are the Best-Run
Cities in America
Jun 24, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best-Run Cities in America
Nampa, Idaho, is No. 1 in WalletHub's rankings, while San Francisco comes in last
- Running a city is no small task—and the past few years, marred by COVID and economic struggles, have tacked new challenges onto the old ones for those in such leadership roles. To see which of America's 150 or so largest cities are operating at peak efficiency, WalletHub looked...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Behind Tech Entrepreneur's
Death: 'The Lifestyle'
May 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Behind Tech Entrepreneur's Death: 'The Lifestyle'
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the underground party scene linked to killing of Bob Lee
- After Cash App founder Bob Lee was stabbed to death in San Francisco last month, police arrested 38-year-old Nima Momemi , who was allegedly upset over Lee's relationship with Momemi's sister. Now the
Wall Street Journal
reports on another apparent factor: Lee's participation in what's known as...
City Names America's
First Drag Laureate
May 18, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
City Names America's First Drag Laureate
'My goals are to make San Francisco sparkle,' D'Arcy Drollinger says
- Anti-trans legislation is roiling the nation, and bills prohibiting drag performances are cropping up in statehouses. San Francisco is fighting back Thursday by naming the nation's first drag laureate, an ambassador-style position designed to represent the city's famous LGBTQ+ community at a time when rights are under attack,...
Autopsy: Bob Lee Had
Alcohol, Drugs in System
May 2, 2023 9:06 PM CDT
Autopsy: Bob Lee Had Alcohol, Drugs in System
Doctors fought for hours to save stabbed tech entrepreneur
- Cash App founder Bob Lee had alcohol and drugs including cocaine and ketamine in his system when he was stabbed in San Francisco last month, though the cause of death was clearly the stab wounds to his heart and one of his lungs, according to an autopsy report released Tuesday....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.