Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Feds: We Caught Man Who
Faked His Own Death in 2016
Apr 6, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Feds: We Caught Man Who Faked His Own Death in 2016
Jacob Greer arrested six years after allegedly writing a suicide note
- An Iowa man who "faked his own death" to avoid standing trial on child pornography charges has been arrested some six years after the fact, authorities say. "The arrest of Jacob Greer after six years is a testament to the tenacity of Deputy US Marshals and our investigative...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
State Adopts Alerts
for Missing Indigenous People
Mar 31, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
State Adopts Alerts for Missing Indigenous People
Washington's system, the nation's first, is similar to Amber Alerts
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee on Thursday signed into law a bill that creates a first-in-the-nation statewide alert system for missing Indigenous people. The law creates a system similar to Amber Alerts and so-called silver alerts, which are used respectively for missing children and vulnerable adults in many states. The system...
West Coast States Are
Lifting School Mask Mandates
Feb 28, 2022 5:13 PM CST
West Coast States Are Lifting School Mask Mandates
California, Oregon, Washington say rule will be lifted March 12
- Schoolchildren in California, Oregon, and Washington will no longer be required to wear masks as part of new indoor mask policies the Democratic governors of all three states announced jointly on Monday. "With declining case rates and hospitalizations across the West, California, Oregon, and Washington are moving together to...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Raise a Family
Jan 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Raise a Family
Massachusetts ranks highest in WalletHub's rankings, Mississippi comes in at the bottom
- Finding the best place to settle down and raise a family can prove a tough choice, with different levels of import placed on the various factors in play, depending on who's being asked. WalletHub looked at more than four dozen metrics in five main categories to help ease the...
Politician Who Opposed Masks,
Lockdowns Dies of COVID
Dec 19, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Politician Who Opposed Masks, Lockdowns Dies of COVID
Member or Washington's state senate tested positive in El Salvador
- Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen, a staunch conservative, has died at age 52. Ericksen's death Friday came weeks after he said he had tested positive for the coronavirus while in El Salvador, though his cause of death wasn't immediately released. The state Senate Republican Caucus confirmed his passing...
7 Hurt After Black Friday
Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
Nov 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
7 Hurt After Black Friday Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
And in Tennessee, 3 are dead, 4 wounded after mass shooting in Nashville apartment
- A trio of shootings across the US left three dead and nearly a dozen injured on Black Friday. NBC News reports that the three fatalities happened at an apartment in Nashville, Tenn., in an incident that also left four injured. Per WKRN , police responded to the shooting that took place...
After 8 Years, Battle Between
Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Nov 19, 2021 2:14 AM CST
After 8 Years, Battle Between Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Barronelle Stutzman settles for $5K, retires
- A florist in Washington state who was in an eight-year legal battle that reached the US Supreme Court will retire after settling with the same-sex couple whose wedding job she refused . Barronelle Stutzman of Richland, Washington, announced the settlement Thursday, saying she has paid $5,000 to Robert Ingersoll, the...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
She's Been Missing Since 2020.
Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Sep 19, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
She's Been Missing Since 2020. Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Mary Johnson disappeared from the Tulalip Reservation in November
- The FBI is offering $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest of whoever is responsible for the disappearance of a Native American woman from Washington State. Per CNN , 40-year-old Mary Johnson was last seen on the Tulalip Reservation in late November. She was reportedly en route to a...
Teen on Joyride
Laughed About It
Sep 16, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Teen on Joyride Allegedly Killed Runner, Then Laughed About It
15-year-old charged in juvenile court with felony murder of Greg Moore
- A 15-year-old girl took her godmother's vehicle out for a joyride without permission, then decided to "scare" a runner by hitting and ultimately killing him, according to prosecutors in Washington state, who've filed criminal charges of second-degree felony murder and felony hit-and-run. Charging documents allege the 15-year-old...
Relentless 'Murder Hornets'
Keep Building Nests
Sep 14, 2021 11:29 AM CDT
Relentless 'Murder Hornets' Keep Building Nests
Wildlife officials in Washington state have destroyed 2 this year, and found a third one
- Murder hornets—more formally known as Asian giant hornets —seem bent on putting down roots in North America. Wildlife officials in Washington state already have destroyed two nests this year and say they'll soon wipe out a newly discovered third one, reports the
. The invasive species first...
Washington Crews Destroy
Asian Giant Hornet's Nest
Aug 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Washington Crews Destroy Asian Giant Hornet's Nest
State tries to find nests before they've produced queens
- Officials in Washington state said Thursday they had destroyed the first Asian giant hornet nest of the season, which was located near the town of Blaine along the Canadian border. The Washington state Department of Agriculture said it eradicated the nest Wednesday, the AP reports. The nest was located in...
4 Dead in Washington
Shooting, Arson Spree
Aug 26, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
4 Dead in Washington Shooting, Arson Spree
That includes the suspect in Wednesday incident
- Authorities believe one gunman killed three people and wounded another person during a spree of shootings and arsons in eastern Washington state on Wednesday, the AP reports. A suspect was believed to have been found dead later after police fired on a vehicle. KEPR reports that police were called about...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
Alligator Spotted With Woman's Body in Mouth
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.