Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Notorious Utah Madame's
Interview Eludes Historians
Feb 1, 2020 2:30 PM CST
Notorious Utah Madame's Interview Eludes Historians
Reporter's old shorthand remains a mystery
- Scholars at a Utah university are trying to unlock a mystery after discovering a nearly 70-year-old transcript of an interview with a notorious figure in Ogden history, the AP reports. The interview was with madam Rossette Duccinni Davie, who ran the Rose Rooms brothel with her husband in the 1940s...
Ex-SEALs Are Guarding
Ghislaine Maxwell: Source
Jan 4, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Ex-SEALs Are Guarding Ghislaine Maxwell: Source
Jeffrey Epstein's old friend is reportedly hiding in safe houses
- Jeffrey Epstein's alleged former madame hasn't fallen off the Earth—she's just very well-protected, according to unnamed sources popping up in the tabloids. "She is not in the US, she moves around," an unidentified source tells the
New York Post
about Ghislaine Maxwell, 58. "...
Mueller Plans to Question
the 'Hollywood Madame'
Jul 21, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Mueller Plans to Question the 'Hollywood Madame'
Kristin Davis is close friends with Roger Stone
- Next up, the "Hollywood Madame": Robert Mueller's team has told Kristin Davis that they want to sit down and talk, the
reports. Mueller's people are expected to question Davis—who's known for her pricey 2000s prostitution ring linked to the downfall of Elliot Spitzer—...
to Rich, Famous
Dies at 92
Dec 24, 2015 11:30 AM CST
France's Madame to Rich, Famous Dies at 92
Madame Claude and her 'swans' were a Paris institution in the '60s and '70s
- The most famous madame in France—who JFK reportedly once asked for a prostitute that looked like his wife "but hot"—died Saturday at the age of 92, the
New York Times
reports. Fernande Grudet—more commonly known as Madame Claude—ran a high-class call-girl ring catering to...
OK, No More
Feb 22, 2012 12:39 PM CST
French PM: OK, No More 'Mademoiselle'
Term will no longer be included on official paperwork
- French feminists have successfully done away with the term "mademoiselle." After much uproar over the honorific , PM Francois Fillon has agreed that it should be removed as an option on French paperwork, meaning women will no longer have to choose between "madame" (for married women) and "...
Jan 16, 2012 12:50 PM CST
'Mademoiselle' Banned in French Town
Now it's 'madame,' whether married or not
- There's no equivalent of "Ms." in French—and in one French town, there's no "Miss" anymore, either. The village of 16,500 is banning the use of the title "mademoiselle," long subject to controversy , on official forms; now, all women in Cesson-Sevigne will...
Don't Call Me
Sep 28, 2011 4:15 PM CDT
French Women: Don't Call Me 'Mademoiselle'
Two groups pushing for 'madame' to be used in all cases
- French men get to be "monsieur" their whole lives, and French women would like to stick with a single honorific as well. Jezebel reports on the effort to kill "mademoiselle," a campaign backed by Osez le Feminisme (Dare to be Feminist) and Chiennes de Garde (Watch Bitches)....
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.