Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navalny on New Charges:
'No Idea What Article 214 Is'
Dec 2, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Navalny on New Charges: 'No Idea What Article 214 Is'
Opposition leader serving 30 years says new allegations are part of Kremlin obsession with him
- Imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been handed new charges by Russian prosecutors. The 47-year-old is already serving more than 30 years in prison after being found guilty of crimes including extremism—charges that his supporters characterize as politically motivated. In comments passed to his associates, Navalny said he'd...
As Sentence Is Upheld,
Navalny Describes Prison Hell
Sep 27, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
As Sentence Is Upheld, Navalny Describes Prison Hell
Or, perhaps, the opposite: extreme cold
- A Moscow appeals court has upheld the 19-year sentence handed down in August to Alexei Navalny, who will now be transferred to a different maximum security facility to serve the lengthiest of the three sentences he's been given so far. The Putin critic had been serving a 9-year sentence...
Navalny Gets 19 More Years
Tacked Onto Prison Sentence
Aug 4, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
Navalny Gets 19 More Years Tacked Onto Prison Sentence
Opposition leader, already serving 9 years, is convicted of extremism in Russian court
- A Russian court convicted imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny of extremism charges and sentenced him to 19 years in prison on Friday. Navalny is already serving a nine-year term on a variety of charges that he says were politically motivated. The new charges against the politician were related to the...
Russia Puts Navalny
on Trial Again
Jun 19, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
Russia Puts Navalny on Trial Again
Opposition leader, 47, faces decades more in prison
- Imprisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny went on trial Monday on new charges of extremism that could keep him behind bars for decades. The trial opened at a maximum security penal colony in Melekhovo, 150 miles east of Moscow, where Navalny, 47, is serving a nine-year sentence for fraud and...
Hopeful Message and Arrests
Mark Navalny's Birthday
Jun 4, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Hopeful Message and Arrests Mark Navalny's Birthday
Someday, imprisoned opposition leader says, telling the truth openly in Russia will be routine
- Alexei Navalny voiced hope for a better future in Russia as his supporters defied a crackdown on dissent to hold pickets and demonstrations to mark the imprisoned opposition leader's 47th birthday on Sunday, with at least 90 people reported arrested. Navalny is serving a nine-year sentence for fraud and...
2 Russian Exiles May Have
Been Poisoned Abroad
May 22, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
2 Russian Exiles May Have Been Poisoned Abroad
Germany is investigating pair of cases at forum organized by a Kremlin critic
- It's become a familiar tale among critics of the Kremlin: Two more may have been poisoned in Germany. Police there have opened an investigation after two women became ill while attending a forum in Berlin last month organized by Russia critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, reports Reuters . One is Natalia Arno,...
Gets More Grim
Apr 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Navalny's Situation Gets More Grim
Russian opposition leader facing decades more in prison on new charges
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny is facing up to 65 additional years in prison on new, unsubstantiated charges of extremism and orchestrating "terrorist attacks," according to his team. Navalny, one of Vladimir Putin's most outspoken critics, is currently serving a nine-year sentence following a 2022 conviction for...
Alexei Navalny Sick With
Possible Slow Poisoning
Apr 13, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Alexei Navalny Sick With Possible Slow Poisoning
Spokeswoman Kira Yarmysh said a mystery stomach illness afflicts the opposition leader
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny is in a maximum-security prison and in just two weeks' time has lost 18 pounds, reports Reuters . Spokeswoman Kira Yarmysh said Navalny is suffering from a mystery ailment that could be a slow-acting poison. In a series of tweets , Yarmysh said that when Navalny asks...
Video of Suspect
Apr 3, 2023 9:31 AM CDT
Russia Releases Video of Suspect in Deadly Cafe Bombing
Darya Trepova accused of delivering booby-trapped statuette that killed pro-Russian blogger
- Russian authorities have arrested a 26-year-old woman in a cafe bombing that killed a pro-Russian blogger. In video released by Russian authorities, Darya Trepova admits she delivered a statuette in the likeness of popular blogger Vladlen Tatarsky to a St. Petersburg cafe at which he was speaking. The booby-trapped object...
During Court Hearing,
Navalny Finds Out
Documentary Won Oscar
Mar 13, 2023 2:34 PM CDT
During Court Hearing, Navalny Finds Out Documentary Won Oscar
Lawyer for imprisoned opposition leader calls it the 'most remarkable announcement' of an Oscar win
- Imprisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny learned Monday from his lawyer that a film detailing his poisoning and political activism won the Oscar for best documentary feature. The 46-year-old politician was attending a court hearing via video link from the prison when his attorney broke the news to him about...
Navalny Sent to 'One of the
Toughest' Penal Colonies
Jun 15, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Navalny Sent to 'One of the Toughest' Penal Colonies
Official says dissident has arrived at Melekhovo prison; Navalny camp says it hasn't verified claim
In May, Alexei Navalny had written in a Telegram post that he'd heard inmates at the notorious penal colony in Melekhovo were building a "prison within a prison" for him. He may now be detained in that disturbing-sounding confinement: Per CNN , the head of a regional public...
After Receiving Sentence
Mar 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
After Receiving Sentence
Putin critic gets 9 years after fraud conviction
A Russian court sentenced Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny to nine years in a maximum security prison Tuesday after convicting him of fraud, reports the AP . It wasn't clear whether it would be concurrent with the shorter sentence he's already serving. Navalny's Twitter account responded with a...
Putin Faults US Over
Arrests of Capitol Rioters
Jun 14, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Putin Faults US Over Arrests of Capitol Rioters
It's 'persecution for political opinions,' Russian leader tells NBC in interview
- Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is to meet President Biden at a summit Wednesday, has suggested that the hundreds of people arrested for rioting at the US Capitol are being subjected to “persecution for political opinions," per the AP . The context: Putin is likely to come under strong...
Court Rules Against
Jun 9, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Court Rules Against Navalny's Network
Decision is an escalation in Putin's battle against Russian opposition
- Alexei Navalny's political organization was outlawed by a Russian court Wednesday as "extremist," theoretically breaking up his opposition movement. The ruling is part of a broad crackdown by President Vladimir Putin on political opposition in general and on Navalny and his Foundation for Fighting Corruption in particular,...
Biden to Meet With
the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
May 25, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Biden to Meet With the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
President, Vladimir Putin will get together next month in Switzerland
- President Biden will meet face to face with Vladimir Putin, the man he recently labeled a "killer," next month in Switzerland. The meeting will take place June 16 in Geneva, and the
New York Times
expects it to focus heavily on nuclear arms. But the pair should have...
Pro-Navalny Subway Workers
Just Got Some Bad News
May 19, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Pro-Navalny Subway Workers Just Got Some Bad News
Dozens of Moscow Metro employees fired after signing petition in support of opposition leader
- If you're an Alexei Navalny fan and work for Moscow's subway system, make sure management or the Kremlin doesn't get wind of it. Per the CBC , dozens of workers with the "famously ornate" Moscow Metro, some who've been employed by the transit agency for years,...
Alexei Navalny: 'I'm
Just a Horrible Skeleton'
Apr 29, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Alexei Navalny: 'I'm Just a Horrible Skeleton'
Russian opposition leader blasts Putin, prosecutors in court
- A transformed Alexei Navalny appeared in court in Moscow on Thursday for the first time since launching a hunger strike. The "visibly gaunt" Russian opposition leader didn't have a great time as Judge Kurysheva Natalia upheld his Feb. 20 conviction for defaming a veteran who’d publicly supported...
Apr 23, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Navalny Will Start Eating Again
Putin critic will end his hunger strike after being allowed to see doctors
- Alexei Navalny says he'll start a 24-day process of ending his hunger strike in a Russian penal colony, a day after doctors said he would die otherwise. The Russian opposition leader announced the move through lawyers on Instagram Friday, noting his goal of receiving care from outside doctors was...
Protest Across Russia
Apr 21, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Navalny Supporters Protest Across Russia
'There are so many political prisoners,' one demonstrator says
- Police arrested nearly 1,500 people Wednesday during a day of demonstrations throughout Russia calling for freedom for imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny, whose health reportedly is in severe decline after three weeks of hunger striking, according to a group that monitors political detentions. The largest of the protests took...
Russia Is Killing
Him, 'in Front
of Us All'
Apr 19, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
Navalny's Team: Russia Is Killing Him, 'in Front of Us All'
Authorities say Russian dissident is now in prison hospital; allies aren't hopeful for 'good news'
- How things look for Alexei Navalny depends on who's doing the informing. Over the weekend, a group of doctors said blood tests showed the imprisoned Russian dissident, on a hunger strike since March 31, was likely to die within days unless he received medical attention. On Monday, a Navalny...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.