Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You Can Soon Practice Law
Here Without Taking Bar Exam
Nov 19, 2023 9:40 AM CST
You Can Soon Practice Law Here Without Taking Bar Exam
In 2024, Oregon will offer an apprenticeship alternative to law school students
- If you're a law school student who breaks out in a cold sweat at the thought of taking the bar exam, good news if you live in the Beaver State: A "more inclusive" way to becoming an attorney is here, according to the head of the Oregon Board...
No One Knows Why
Dogs Are Contracting
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 AM CST
No One Knows Why Dogs Are Contracting Mystery Illness
Veterinary laboratories are looking into canine respiratory sickness popping up in multiple states
- Veterinary laboratories in several states are investigating an unusual respiratory illness in dogs and encouraging people to take basic precautions to keep their pets healthy as veterinarians try to pin down what's making the animals sick. Oregon, Colorado, and New Hampshire are among the states that have seen cases...
Oregon Considers Reversing
Course on Hard Drugs
Nov 18, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Oregon Considers Reversing Course on Hard Drugs
Just 2 years after Measure 110 passed, officials are taking a hard look at whether it's working
- Oregon became the first state to decriminalize all drugs , but with overdoses and public intoxication on the rise, officials are taking a hard look at whether the new law is working. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Measure 110, which had 58% support in 2020, is declining in popularity after...
Teachers in This State's
Largest City Hit the Picket Line
Nov 2, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Teachers in This State's Largest City Hit the Picket Line
Educators in Portland, Oregon, are striking over salary, class sizes, lack of resources
- Teachers in Portland, Oregon, walked off the job on Wednesday for the first day of a strike that shuttered schools for some 45,000 students in Oregon's largest city. Concerns over large class sizes, salaries that haven't kept up with inflation, and a lack of resources prompted the...
Cops: Man Planned Shooting
at Rock-Climbing Event
Oct 23, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Cops: Man Planned Shooting at Rock-Climbing Event
Samson Garner, 39, of Oregon 'was armed for it,' per the Deschutes County DA
- The Smith Rock Craggin' Classic, an annual three-day rock-climbing fest, took place without a hitch over the weekend in Oregon's Smith Rock State Park. It could've ended up as a crime scene, however, according to authorities, who say they uncovered a mass shooting plot believed to have targeted...
Prison Nurse Who
Oct 19, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Prison Nurse Who Sexually Abused Female Inmates Is Sentenced
Tony Klein gets 3 decades behind bars
- When he worked as a nurse at Oregon's Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, Tony Klein sexually abused nine women. On Tuesday, he was sentenced to 30 years behind bars for the crimes, after having been convicted in July, Oregon Public Broadcasting reports. The 39-year-old was also convicted of lying under...
2 Killed as Plane Drops
Out of Sky, Hits Home
Oct 4, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
2 Killed as Plane Drops Out of Sky, Hits Home
Remarkably, none of the occupants of the home in Newberg, Oregon, were injured
- A small plane crashed through the roof of a home in Oregon on Tuesday, killing two of the three people inside. One person suffered serious injuries as the single-engine plane dropped from the sky in Newberg, as captured on video shared by KGW News . Thankfully no injuries were reported on...
Young Professionals, Check
Out the Work Climate Here
Sep 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Young Professionals, Check Out the Work Climate Here
New England dominates Scholaroo's best states for workers trying to establish their careers
- If you've just graduated or are graduating soon and are looking for a place to jump-start your career, some states offer more in the way of job markets and affordable living. Scholaroo attempts to flesh out which US states are the best for today's young professionals, using nearly...
Man Accused of
Tries to Escape: Cops
Aug 28, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Man Accused of Abducting Woman Tries to Escape: Cops
Negasi Zuberi, 29, now faces new charges
- The man accused of abducting a woman and holding her captive in a makeshift cell apparently doesn't like the view from inside his own jail cell. Negasi Zuberi, 29, who is being held in Oregon's Jackson County Jail on a federal interstate kidnapping charge, now also faces charges...
At This River, Officials Try to
Turn Back the Clock 100 Years
Aug 1, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
At This River, Officials Try to Turn Back the Clock 100 Years
Klamath River restoration project is a massive, $500M endeavor, involving removal of 4 dams
- The largest dam removal project in US history is underway along the California-Oregon border—a process that won't conclude until the end of next year with the help of heavy machinery and explosives. But in some ways, removing the four dams is the easy part, per the AP . The...
Famed Salmon Festival Will
Be Without Salmon This Year
Jul 28, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Famed Salmon Festival Will Be Without Salmon This Year
Fisheries closed amid low fish run, though there's 'genuine cause for optimism'
- For the third time in seven years, there will be no salmon at California's famous Klamath Salmon Festival. The annual festival dating back almost six decades focuses on Chinook salmon, a key source of sustenance for the Yurok Tribe, which hosts the event. But this year, the Klamath River,...
Student Plunges to His Death
Climbing Oregon Mountain
Jul 21, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Student Plunges to His Death Climbing Oregon Mountain
Joel Tranby was near the summit of North Sister in Cascade Mountains
- The body of a 21-year-old college student was located Thursday, days after he fell hundreds of feet down a steep, rocky ravine near the summit of North Sister in Oregon's Cascade Mountains, the AP reports. Joel Tranby loved the outdoors and was a big part of the community in...
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal
as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jul 18, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jesse Lee Calhoun is person of interest in deaths of 4 women near Portland, Oregon: reports
- Days after police arrested a suspected serial killer linked to the deaths of four women in New York, authorities have identified a person of interest in the deaths of four women on the other side of the country. Kristin Smith, 22; Charity Perry, 24; Bridget Webster, 31; and Ashley Real,...
This Is the Most
Patriotic State in America
Jul 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Patriotic State in America
Virginia is for lovers (of the US), per WalletHub, while Arkansas needs to muster up more affection
- It's the biggest holiday of the American summer, and flags are waving. As Americans light their grills and prepare to watch the Fourth's fireworks, WalletHub susses out which states are the most patriotic. To figure out where citizens are most likely to be decked out in their red,...
Father of 5 Has Fatal Fall
on Popular Hike
Jul 3, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
Father of 5 Has Fatal Fall on Popular Hike
Oregon man, 40, slips off Multnomah Falls trail while hiking with family
- One of the most popular hiking destinations in the Pacific Northwest proved fatal over the weekend for a 40-year-old father of five in Oregon. The unidentified man slipped at a switchback on the Multnomah Falls trail, reports Oregon Live . "He slid down a steep hill and then fell off...
It's Prison for Thief Who
Cleaned Out Coin Machines
Jun 30, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
It's Prison for Thief Who Cleaned Out Coin Machines
'This was not pocket change,' prosecutors say
- A thief who posed as an employee of a coin-cashing company sent to tend to the machines, only to break into them and take the coin vaults with him, was sentenced Thursday to four years in prison. The US attorney's office for Oregon said Richard Pena repeated the scam...
NJ's Ban on
Now the Last
of Its Kind
Jun 28, 2023 3:11 PM CDT
NJ's Ban on Self-Serve Gas Now the Last of Its Kind
Some want to see it fall, just like Oregon's
- New Jersey is about to be the only state in the country where you're not allowed to pump your own gas. Last week, Oregon's Senate voted 16-9 to overturn a ban on self-serve gas that's been in place since 1951. As Quartz reports, half of the state'...
They Grow Pot Illegally,
Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Jun 10, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
They Grow Pot Illegally, Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Oregon Legislature passes bill to make landowners responsible for messy aftermath of illicit grows
- Oregon has long been known as a mecca for high-quality marijuana, but that reputation has come with a downside: illegal growers who offer huge amounts of cash to lease or buy land, then leave behind pollution, garbage, and a drained water table. Now, a bill passed by the Oregon Legislature...
by 2 Semis in
May 19, 2023 2:29 AM CDT
Van 'Sandwiched' by 2 Semis in Horrific Crash
7 dead and multiple others hurt in accident in western Oregon
- Seven people were killed and multiple others hurt in a crash involving several vehicles Thursday on Interstate 5 in an agricultural area of western Oregon, police said. Officers responded at about 2:05pm to the crash involving two semi trucks and a passenger vehicle in the northbound lanes about 7...
Seattle Doesn't Usually
Hit 90 Till July. This
Year Is Different
May 15, 2023 4:11 PM CDT
Seattle Doesn't Usually Hit 90 Till July. This Year Is Different
Heat advisory is in effect in Pacific Northwest, where temps may soar 30 degrees above average
- It's been a hot one in the Pacific Northwest over the past few days, and it looks like residents there will have to endure the extreme weather for at least a little longer. The
New York Times
reports that upward of 12 million people are sweating it out under...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.