Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fought to Disarm Shooter
Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Safeway Employee Fought to Disarm Shooter
Slain 66-year-old worker may have saved lives, police say
- A 66-year-old employee killed in a shooting at a supermarket in Bend, Oregon, on Sunday evening is being praised as a hero whose actions may have saved lives. Police say Safeway employee Donald Ray Surrett Jr. fought with the gunman in the store's produce section and tried to disarm...
Oregon Mountain's Unfortunate
Name Is Changing
Aug 29, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Oregon Mountain's Unfortunate Name Is Changing
'Swastika Mountain' will soon be no more
- News that two hikers needed rescue from a mountain near Eugene, Oregon, earlier this year caused Oregonian Joyce McClain to do a double take. It wasn't the rescue itself—it was that the peak they were climbing was named Swastika Mountain, reports
. However, it probably won't...
Gunman Kills 2 in
Aug 29, 2022 12:41 AM CDT
Gunman Kills 2 in Oregon Supermarket
Suspect was also found dead in store
- A person entered a grocery store in Bend, Oregon, on Sunday evening and fatally shot two people, authorities said. The person believed to be the shooter was found dead inside the Safeway store, Bend Police said in a statement. Authorities said police responded to multiple 911 calls at the Forum...
Dad of 3 Killed
Jul 22, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Dad of 3 Killed in 'Unprovoked' Road-Rage Shooting
Driver tried to push Dennis Anderson off road before passenger opened fire: cops
- A father of three was enjoying a day out with his partner of 18 years when he was fatally shot in an "unprovoked" road rage shooting in Oregon, police say. Dennis Gerard Anderson, 45, of Tigard was declared dead at the scene on Route 18 in Polk County, where...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
Candidate Criticized After
Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Jun 30, 2022 4:04 PM CDT
Candidate Criticized After Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Oregon governor contender Betsy Johnson takes heat over her label of Portland
- An independent candidate for governor of Oregon took an interesting approach to building support, criticizing the state's largest city by suggesting the bloom is off the City of Roses because of homelessness. Betsy Johnson's comments appeared this week in a
New York Times
newsletter , the
May Have Inspired
Jun 17, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Wreck That May Have Inspired
Discovery of hull timbers in Oregon sea caves echoes Spielberg's cult classic
- Remains of a legendary 17th-century shipwreck that reportedly inspired the cult classic
have been found—though not by a band of hilarious misfits. Pieces of the hull of the Spanish galleon
Santo Cristo de Burgos
were raised from sea caves in a state-protected area of Manzanita, Oregon, this...
A Mount Hood
Rescuer Is Worried
Jun 5, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
A Mount Hood Rescuer Is Worried
Veteran doctor lays out the problems, including too many unprepared climbers
- Christopher Van Tilburg is a mountain rescue doctor who heads out with other volunteers when climbers, skiers, and snowboarders get into trouble on Oregon's Mount Hood. In an essay for
, Van Tilburg sounds a little exhausted. The crews typically handle a "few" cases per year, but they'...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
to Slow Count
in 2 Places
May 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Printer Errors to Slow Count in 2 Places
Counties in Oregon, Pennsylvania say the results will be accurate
- Printing mistakes will force local election officials in Pennsylvania and Oregon to redo thousands of mailed ballots, a laborious process that could delay results for some closely contested races in Tuesday's primaries. In Pennsylvania, where GOP primaries for governor and US Senate are drawing national attention, officials in Republican-leaning...
in Trial of Oregon
May 9, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
'Surprising Twist' in Trial of Oregon Romance Novelist
Prosecutors say Nancy Crampton Brophy slipped in conversation with cellmate
- In what the
calls a "surprising twist" in the murder trial of Oregon romance novelist Nancy Crampton Brophy, a prosecutor last week argued that a new witness should be brought in to testify as a rebuttal witness after the defense presents its case—because, Senior Deputy District Attorney...
County Acts After Public
Dissection of WWII Veteran
Apr 15, 2022 2:36 PM CDT
County Acts After Public Dissection of WWII Veteran
Teary officials in Multnomah County, Ore., move to ban for-profit display of human remains
- The widow of a World War II and Korean War veteran who thought she was donating his body to science was aghast to learn that it was instead dissected in front of a paying audience at a Portland hotel last October. Now, as the
reports, the Multnomah County Board...
for 'How to Murder
Your Husband' Writer
Apr 6, 2022 8:54 AM CDT
Trial Begins for 'How to Murder Your Husband' Writer
Nancy Crampton Brophy's trial is expected to last 7 weeks
- That a novelist who once wrote an essay titled "How to Murder Your Husband" was accused of doing that very thing led to a sea of headlines in 2018. More than three years later, Nancy Crampton Brophy is on trial in the June 2, 2018, death of husband Daniel...
You No Longer Need to Live in
Oregon to Use State's
Assisted Suicide Law
Mar 30, 2022 1:07 AM CDT
You No Longer Need to Live in Oregon to Use State's Assisted Suicide Law
State drops its residency requirement
- Oregon will no longer require people to be residents of the state to use its law allowing terminally ill people to receive lethal medication, after a lawsuit challenged the requirement as unconstitutional. In a settlement filed in US District Court in Portland on Monday, the Oregon Health Authority and the...
Prosecutors: Man in
Crash Was Drunk
Mar 30, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Man in Homeless-Camp Crash Was Drunk
Enrigue Rodriguez Jr. allegedly had BAC of 0.15%
Prosecutors say the man who allegedly drove into a homeless encampment in Oregon, killing four, had a blood alcohol content of 0.15% or higher. The legal limit for driving in the state is 0.08%, the AP reports. A judge this week ordered the suspect jailed without bail....
For Drivers in 2 States, Big
Change Looms at Gas Pump
Mar 6, 2022 1:45 PM CST
For Drivers in 2 States, Big Change Looms at Gas Pump
New Jersey, Oregon may finally allow drivers to pump their own gas
- Out-of-state drivers heading through New Jersey or Oregon likely encounter a surprise when they stop for gas: In those states, drivers (mostly) still can't pump their own. Now, however, both states are considering legislation to finally allow the practice, reports the Hill . Rising gas prices and a tight labor...
West Coast States Are
Lifting School Mask Mandates
Feb 28, 2022 5:13 PM CST
West Coast States Are Lifting School Mask Mandates
California, Oregon, Washington say rule will be lifted March 12
- Schoolchildren in California, Oregon, and Washington will no longer be required to wear masks as part of new indoor mask policies the Democratic governors of all three states announced jointly on Monday. "With declining case rates and hospitalizations across the West, California, Oregon, and Washington are moving together to...
Court to Kristof: No, You
Can't Run for Governor
Feb 17, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Court to Kristof: No, You Can't Run for Governor
Former 'Times' columnist doesn't meet residency requirements in Oregon
: Nicholas Kristof's attempt to segue from journalism to politics hit a giant roadblock on Thursday, when Oregon's Supreme Court declared him ineligible to run for governor, reports the Hill . The court agreed with a decision made by state election officials last month that the former
Cops: Man Who Saw
Bear Accidentally Shot
Brother, Then Self
Feb 10, 2022 12:39 PM CST
Cops: Man Who Saw Bear Accidentally Shot Brother, Then Self
Oregon man was found dead after he called 911 to report accident
- An Oregon man who told emergency dispatchers he had accidentally killed his brother apparently couldn't live with what he had done, police say. An incident report from the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office says a man called 911 around 7am Tuesday and said he "had accidentally shot his...
Told to Restrict Free Meals
to Homeless, Church Sues City
Feb 3, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Told to Restrict Free Meals to Homeless, Church Sues City
Oregon church was told it could only feed homeless people twice a week
- A church in southern Oregon says it is following the teachings of Jesus Christ when it provides free meals to homeless people—and it is unconstitutional for the city of Brookings to try to limit the service. St. Timothy's Episcopal Church and the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon have filed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.