Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zuckerberg Just Got Hit
With Massive Lawsuit
Oct 24, 2023 11:26 AM CDT
Zuckerberg Just Got Hit With Massive Lawsuit
41 states and DC sue Facebook parent company Meta, accuse it of inflicting harm on kids
- States are going after Facebook and Instagram in a big way, unleashing a legal assault that accuses the platforms of deliberately trying to makes kids addicted to the sites. In all, 41 states and the District of Columbia sued parent company Meta on Tuesday, in what amounts to "the...
SCOTUS to Hear Case on
GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Hear Case on GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Legislation enacted in Texas, Florida aim to prevent social media sites from censoring users
- The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether state laws that seek to regulate Facebook, TikTok, X (formerly known as Twitter), and other social media platforms violate the Constitution. The justices will review laws enacted by Republican-dominated legislatures and signed by Republican governors in Florida and Texas. While the details...
Lawsuit Against Baldwin From
Marine's Family Dismissed
Aug 24, 2023 5:14 AM CDT
Lawsuit Against Baldwin From Marine's Family Dismissed
He called fallen Marine's sister an 'insurrectionist'
- A $25 million defamation lawsuit against Alec Baldwin from the widow and sisters of a Marine killed in the 2021 suicide attack at Kabul's airport has been dismissed—again. The actor donated $5,000 to the family of Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum after the attack. He was sued...
Execs Say 10M Joined
Threads in First 7 Hours
Jul 6, 2023 4:41 AM CDT
Execs Say 10M Joined Threads in First 7 Hours
It was 'quite the first day,' Instagram CEO says
- Threads, the new social media app from Instagram, went live Wednesday , 15 hours earlier than scheduled, and execs say the response was massive, with 10 million people signing up in the first seven hours. In a video posted on the platform, a clearly exhausted Adam Mosseri, chief executive of Instagram,...
Investigation Finds Pedophile
Network on Instagram
Jun 8, 2023 11:09 AM CDT
Investigation Finds Pedophile Network on Instagram
'Wall Street Journal' teams with academic researchers to show how easy it is to find
- Instagram officially views the sexual exploitation of children as a "horrific crime," and a statement from parent company Meta insists it is "continuously investigating ways to actively defend against this behavior." A new investigation by the
Wall Street Journal
and academic researchers suggests the company needs...
Infamous Online Scammer
May Have Been Unveiled
Apr 2, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Infamous Online Scammer May Have Been Unveiled
ProPublica digs into lucrative story of 'OBN,' who has tricked Instagram into banning accounts
- It's no surprise to learn that celebrities, even lesser ones, can make big money plugging products on Instagram. And as ProPublica explains, that has led to a lucrative hustle scammy in nature by those who know how to manipulate the system. The story focuses on an mysterious online figure...
New Meta App Could Be
Rival to Twitter, Mastodon
Mar 10, 2023 2:28 PM CST
New Meta App Could Be Rival to Twitter, Mastodon
Sources say decentralized text-based app is codenamed P92
- After apparently imitating Twitter's pay for verification plan , Meta is now working on its own Twitter-like service. Facebook's parent company has confirmed a report from MoneyControl that it is in the early stages of creating an app that could be a rival to Twitter and other competitors. "...
Meta: Give Us Money, ID
and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
Feb 20, 2023 9:19 AM CST
Meta: Give Us Money, ID and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
You'll get a special badge for that $14.99 you're forking over ($11.99 for the web)
- Last year, Elon Musk's Twitter launched its Twitter Blue subscription service , a paid verification that offers users a blue check mark next to their name, as well as other perks, like being able to edit your tweets. Now Meta is following suit with something similar: CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced...
Christian College Becomes
Ground Zero for Viral 'Revival'
Feb 19, 2023 6:05 AM CST
Christian College Becomes Ground Zero for Viral 'Revival'
Thousands flock to Kentucky's Asbury U in TikTok-driven prayer event that's lasted more than a week
- Early on Feb. 8, a routine chapel service took place at Kentucky's Asbury University, a small Christian college in Wilmore. "I would call it unremarkable," the school's president, Dr. Kevin Brown, tells NBC New s of the gathering in the 1,500-seat Hughes Auditorium. What's...
Jan 25, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Meta Decides to Welcome Trump Back
Facebook, Instagram suspensions to be dropped 'in coming weeks'
- Two years after former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Instagram over his posts supporting the insurgents who attacked the Capitol, Meta has decided to welcome him back. The announcement was made in a blog post by Nick Clegg, the company's president of global affairs, the BBC...
a Greatest Hits Tour
Jan 17, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Madonna Launching a Greatest Hits Tour
It starts in July in North America, then moves on to Europe
- The reason Madonna cleared out her Instagram feed before Tuesday is now clear: She has indeed announced a major new tour starting this summer. The 35-city "Madonna: The Celebration Tour" begins July 15 in Vancouver, British Columbia, followed by stops in cities including Detroit, Chicago, New York, Miami, Los...
Clause Doesn't Safeguard
Meta From $414M Fine
Jan 4, 2023 12:46 PM CST
Clause Doesn't Safeguard Meta From $414M Fine
Regulators ban company from forcing users to agree to personalized ads
- European Union regulators on Wednesday hit Facebook parent Meta with hundreds of millions in fines for privacy violations and banned the company from forcing users in the 27-nation bloc to agree to personalized ads based on their online activity. Ireland's Data Protection Commission imposed two fines totaling 390 million...
A Messi Image Is Now
the King of Instagram
Dec 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
A Messi Image Is Now the King of Instagram
Celebration photo has more than 62M likes
- Lionel Messi vanquished France , and now he has vanquished the famous egg of Instagram. An image of Messi celebrating Argentina's dramatic World Cup victory had racked up more than 62 million likes as of Tuesday morning on on the soccer star's Instagram page , making it the most-liked image...
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows
Promotion of Rivals
Dec 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows Promotion of Rivals
New policy is deleted, replaced with a poll asking users their opinion on it
- Once again, a new Twitter policy has been swiftly rescinded. On Sunday, the platform said it would no longer let users promote accounts on rival platforms. But after what CNN describes as an "immense backlash," Twitter removed the blog post and tweet thread announcing the new policy. Instead,...
Oversight Board Slams Meta's
Unequal Treatment of VIPs
Dec 6, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Oversight Board Slams Meta's Unequal Treatment of VIPs
'Cross-check grants certain users greater protection than others'
- An oversight board has found that Facebook and Instagram's VIP program creates an unequal environment where celebrities, politicians, and business partners receive preferential treatment. As NPR reports, "in some cases, their posts are exempted from Meta's rules entirely." Meta ordered a review of its "cross-check"...
Police: Teenager Charged After
Showing Homicide Victim Online
Nov 28, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Police: Teenager Charged After Showing Homicide Victim Online
16-year-old suspect texted for help disposing of girl's body, court documents say
- A Pennsylvania teenager has been charged with homicide after police say he revealed in an Instagram video chat that he'd killed someone and showed the victim's legs covered in blood. A woman who said her daughter had received the video call reported it to Bensalem Township police on...
Ye Returns to Twitter,
Oct 10, 2022 3:15 AM CDT
Ye Returns to Twitter, Immediately Gets Himself Suspended
Rapper violated social network's policies, company says
- After Kanye West's Instagram account was suspended Friday for antisemitic content, the rapper took his rants to Twitter. On Sunday, Twitter announced that it, too, had locked the rapper's account . Ye, as the rapper is now legally known, had been away from Twitter for almost two years when...
Oct 8, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Instagram Restricts Kanye West's Account
American Jewish Committee calls post anti-Semitic
- Instagram has placed restrictions on Kanye West's account in response to posts criticized as anti-Semitic. A spokesperson for Meta, Instagram's parent company, told the
that the platform also has deleted some content posted on the @kanyewest account. Instagram said the restrictions were imposed for violations of...
Jonah Hill Won't
Be Out Promoting
His New Film
Aug 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Jonah Hill Won't Be Out Promoting His New Film
'Superbad' actor is latest star to step back from social media for his mental health
- Tom Holland isn't the only celebrity of late to ditch social media he finds "overwhelming."
Wolf of Wall Street
actor Jonah Hill deleted his Instagram last week, around the same time he announced he's been suffering from anxiety attacks for almost two decades and...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.