Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 25, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Meta Decides to Welcome Trump Back
Facebook, Instagram suspensions to be dropped 'in coming weeks'
- Two years after former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Instagram over his posts supporting the insurgents who attacked the Capitol, Meta has decided to welcome him back. The announcement was made in a blog post by Nick Clegg, the company's president of global affairs, the BBC...
a Greatest Hits Tour
Jan 17, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Madonna Launching a Greatest Hits Tour
It starts in July in North America, then moves on to Europe
- The reason Madonna cleared out her Instagram feed before Tuesday is now clear: She has indeed announced a major new tour starting this summer. The 35-city "Madonna: The Celebration Tour" begins July 15 in Vancouver, British Columbia, followed by stops in cities including Detroit, Chicago, New York, Miami, Los...
Clause Doesn't Safeguard
Meta From $414M Fine
Jan 4, 2023 12:46 PM CST
Clause Doesn't Safeguard Meta From $414M Fine
Regulators ban company from forcing users to agree to personalized ads
- European Union regulators on Wednesday hit Facebook parent Meta with hundreds of millions in fines for privacy violations and banned the company from forcing users in the 27-nation bloc to agree to personalized ads based on their online activity. Ireland's Data Protection Commission imposed two fines totaling 390 million...
A Messi Image Is Now
the King of Instagram
Dec 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
A Messi Image Is Now the King of Instagram
Celebration photo has more than 62M likes
- Lionel Messi vanquished France , and now he has vanquished the famous egg of Instagram. An image of Messi celebrating Argentina's dramatic World Cup victory had racked up more than 62 million likes as of Tuesday morning on on the soccer star's Instagram page , making it the most-liked image...
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows
Promotion of Rivals
Dec 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows Promotion of Rivals
New policy is deleted, replaced with a poll asking users their opinion on it
- Once again, a new Twitter policy has been swiftly rescinded. On Sunday, the platform said it would no longer let users promote accounts on rival platforms. But after what CNN describes as an "immense backlash," Twitter removed the blog post and tweet thread announcing the new policy. Instead,...
Oversight Board Slams Meta's
Unequal Treatment of VIPs
Dec 6, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Oversight Board Slams Meta's Unequal Treatment of VIPs
'Cross-check grants certain users greater protection than others'
- An oversight board has found that Facebook and Instagram's VIP program creates an unequal environment where celebrities, politicians, and business partners receive preferential treatment. As NPR reports, "in some cases, their posts are exempted from Meta's rules entirely." Meta ordered a review of its "cross-check"...
Police: Teenager Charged After
Showing Homicide Victim Online
Nov 28, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Police: Teenager Charged After Showing Homicide Victim Online
16-year-old suspect texted for help disposing of girl's body, court documents say
- A Pennsylvania teenager has been charged with homicide after police say he revealed in an Instagram video chat that he'd killed someone and showed the victim's legs covered in blood. A woman who said her daughter had received the video call reported it to Bensalem Township police on...
Ye Returns to Twitter,
Oct 10, 2022 3:15 AM CDT
Ye Returns to Twitter, Immediately Gets Himself Suspended
Rapper violated social network's policies, company says
- After Kanye West's Instagram account was suspended Friday for antisemitic content, the rapper took his rants to Twitter. On Sunday, Twitter announced that it, too, had locked the rapper's account . Ye, as the rapper is now legally known, had been away from Twitter for almost two years when...
Oct 8, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Instagram Restricts Kanye West's Account
American Jewish Committee calls post anti-Semitic
- Instagram has placed restrictions on Kanye West's account in response to posts criticized as anti-Semitic. A spokesperson for Meta, Instagram's parent company, told the
that the platform also has deleted some content posted on the @kanyewest account. Instagram said the restrictions were imposed for violations of...
Aug 31, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Fallen Marine's Family Refiles Suit Against Alec Baldwin
Widow who attended says she's no insurrectionist
- A defamation lawsuit against Alec Baldwin that was dismissed in Wyoming in May has been refiled in New York. The widow and two sisters of fallen Marine Rylee McCollum accuse the actor of making false charges against them, including calling Jiennah McCollum, who was married to Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum,...
Jonah Hill Won't
Be Out Promoting
His New Film
Aug 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Jonah Hill Won't Be Out Promoting His New Film
'Superbad' actor is latest star to step back from social media for his mental health
- Tom Holland isn't the only celebrity of late to ditch social media he finds "overwhelming."
Wolf of Wall Street
actor Jonah Hill deleted his Instagram last week, around the same time he announced he's been suffering from anxiety attacks for almost two decades and...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Actor Taking Break From
'Overwhelming' Social Media
Aug 15, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Actor Taking Break From 'Overwhelming' Social Media
Tom Holland of 'Spider-Man' fame says he needs the hiatus for his mental health
- Even superheroes get anxious from social media. Just ask
star Tom Holland, who announced over the weekend that he's been taking a break from social media to protect his mental health.
notes that the 26-year-old UK actor has deleted his Instagram in the past, but this time...
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have
Everyone Doing a Double Take
Aug 12, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have Everyone Doing a Double Take
Motley Crue drummer's full-frontal pic fires up debate over why it was able to stay on platform for so long
- If you missed Tommy Lee's full-frontal display on social media earlier this week, no worries—he's now sharing a painting of the photo instead. Meanwhile, some are wondering why Lee's original nude pic was able to stay up online for as long as it did in the...
Pugh to Detractors: 'Why Are
You So Scared of Breasts?'
Jul 11, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Pugh to Detractors: 'Why Are You So Scared of Breasts?'
She addresses 'vulgar' criticism after wearing sheer gown to fashion event
- Florence Pugh shared photos of herself in a sheer gown on Instagram Sunday—and fired back at men who criticized her body after she wore the dress Valentino haute couture show in Rome. She said many commenters "aggressively" told her about how she should be "embarrassed by being...
Cracking Down on
Abortion Pill Posts
Jun 29, 2022 2:16 AM CDT
Instagram, Facebook Cracking Down on Abortion Pill Posts
And more abortion-related controversy related to the social networks
- Shortly after Roe v. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court, Instagram and Facebook were making headlines for more than one abortion-related reason. On Monday, Vice and other outlets reported that both Instagram and its sister company, Facebook, were removing posts from people offering to mail abortion pills. In some...
It's the 2nd Time Britney
Spears Has Done This
Jun 18, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
It's the 2nd Time Britney Spears Has Done This
Star's Instagram account has vanished again amid renewed drama with her father
- On Friday, reports emerged that Britney Spears' father wants her to defend under oath the accusations she's been hurling at him on social media, with a request to a judge that Spears give a deposition. Now it appears the 40-year-old pop star may have vanished some of those posts,...
She Gave the #VanLife a Go,
and It Was Pretty Dismal
Apr 24, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
She Gave the #VanLife a Go, and It Was Pretty Dismal
But Caity Weaver's recap of it is a delightful read
- "That sounds bad." So pronounced Caity Weaver's husband when she told him she was going to give the #VanLife that's so popular on TikTok and Instagram a go for a week and write about it for the
New York Times Magazine
. The piece that resulted is...
In Russia, It's
Mar 30, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
In Russia, It's Goodbye Instagram, Hello 'Sadgram'
Black-and-white social media alternative asks users for gloomy photos
- Criticizing the invasion of Ukraine, or even calling it a war instead of a "special military operation," is a crime in Russia, but citizens are still allowed to express their sadness. With Instagram now banned in the country, alternatives are sprouting up, including "Grustnogram," which translates...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.