Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies
Need to Lose Their Jobs
Sep 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies Need to Lose Their Jobs
Multimillionaire Tim Gurner courts controversy in saying workers need to be shown their place
- One of Australia's richest men has apologized after calling for 270,000 job losses to show workers their place. Gurner Group founder and CEO Tim Gurner, a multimillionaire real-estate tycoon, was speaking at the
Australian Financial Review
's property summit on Tuesday when he said workers have become "...
Jobs Market Is Cooling,
but With Few Layoffs
Sep 1, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Jobs Market Is Cooling, but With Few Layoffs
Companies are posting fewer openings, not cutting jobs
- The nation's employers added a solid 187,000 jobs in August in a sign of a still-resilient labor market despite the high interest rates the Federal Reserve has imposed. The job growth marked an increase from July's revised gain of 157,000 but still pointed to a moderating...
Tech-Savvy Job Hunters
Turn to 'White Fonting'
Aug 5, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Tech-Savvy Job Hunters Turn to 'White Fonting'
But trick to outsmart AI screening for resumes could backfire, warn recruiters
- Some applicants have been using an interesting hack to dupe AI and other tech filters when pursuing new positions. It's called "white fonting," explains the
. The idea is pretty straightforward—job seekers cram keywords from job descriptions onto their resumes, but change the font to...
Employers Add Fewer
Jobs Than Expected
Aug 4, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Employers Add Fewer Jobs Than Expected
But the figure of 187K in July is still a solid one
- US employers added 187,000 jobs last month, fewer than expected, as the higher interest rates continued to weigh on the economy. But the unemployment rate dipped to 3.5% in a sign that the job market remains resilient, per the AP . Hiring was up from 185,000 in June,...
New Jobs Report Suggests
Rate Hike Is a Safe Bet
Jul 7, 2023 8:01 AM CDT
New Jobs Report Suggests Rate Hike Is a Safe Bet
Employers eased up on hiring, but the labor market remains strong
- America's employers pulled back on hiring but still delivered another month of solid gains in June, adding 209,000 jobs in a sign that the economy's resilience is confounding the Federal Reserve's drive to slow growth and inflation, per the AP . The latest evidence of economic strength...
Strong Jobs Numbers
Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Jul 6, 2023 10:01 AM CDT
Strong Jobs Numbers Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Job openings fall below 10M, but they remain historically high
- US job openings slipped in May but remained at levels high enough to illustrate that the American labor market remains resilient in the face of sharply higher interest rates. Employers posted 9.8 million job vacancies, down from 10.3 million in April, the Labor Department said Thursday. But layoffs...
35 Is an Age
to Be Feared
in case you missed it
Jul 2, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
In China, 35 Is an Age to Be Feared
The prevailing sentiment is you're no longer a desirable employee after that age
- Forty might be the dreaded age at which you're over the hill, but take comfort: In China, 35 is apparently the age to fear. The
New York Times
reports on the "Curse of 35," which it calls a "widespread belief" that Chinese workers lose their appeal...
Jobs Report Comes in
Way Stronger Than Expected
Jun 2, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes in Way Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 339K jobs in May, above estimates of 190K
- The new jobs report is out, and it shows that American employers continue to hire workers at a pace that defies expectations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Employers added 339,000 jobs in May, well above predictions of 190,000. Economists keep expecting to see a sharp
Unemployment Hasn't Been
This Low Since 1969
May 5, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
Unemployment Hasn't Been This Low Since 1969
Hiring is stronger than expected in April
- America’s employers added a robust 253,000 jobs in April, evidence of a labor market that still shows surprising strength despite rising interest rates, chronically high inflation, and a banking crisis that could weaken the economy. The unemployment rate ticked down to 3.4%, matching a 54-year low from...
New Jobs Numbers
May Keep Pressure on Fed
Mar 10, 2023 7:49 AM CST
New Jobs Numbers May Keep Pressure on Fed
Employers hired 311K in February, more than expected
- America’s employers added a substantial 311,000 jobs in February, fewer than January’s huge gain but enough to keep pressure on the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates aggressively to fight inflation, per the AP . The number was above expectations of 208,000.
The unemployment rate rose
Latest Jobs Report
Pleases the Markets
Jan 6, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Latest Jobs Report Pleases the Markets
Hiring is above expectations, but wage growth is lower, causing Dow futures to jump
- Hiring cooled off a bit in December from the previous month, though the numbers reflect a still-strong labor market. Another part of Friday's unemployment report—on wage gains—has the stock market in a pretty good mood:
Employers added 223,000 jobs in December, slightly above expectations of
Hiring Is Again
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 4, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Hiring Is Again Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 261K jobs in October
- The latest jobs report came in stronger than expected, which may not be great news for investors hoping the Fed eases up on rate increases. As the AP puts it, "the economy remains a picture of solid job growth and painful inflation." The details:
a Surprise Dip
Oct 7, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
263K Jobs Added Last Month, Plus a Surprise Dip
Unemployment rate fell from 3.7% to 3.5%, matching a 5-decade low
- America's employers slowed their hiring in September but still added a solid 263,000 jobs—a dose of encouraging news that may mean the Federal Reserve's drive to cool the job market and ease inflation is starting to make progress. Friday's government report showed that last month'...
US Jobs Streak Now
at 20 Months and Counting
Sep 2, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
US Jobs Streak Now at 20 Months and Counting
Employers added 315K workers in August, right in line with expectations
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it shows that employers are continuing to hire, though at a slower pace than in recent months:
Employers added 315,000 jobs in August, almost exactly in line with expectations. That's down from 528,000 in July and the
Unemployment Claims Hit
Highest Mark Since November
Aug 11, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Unemployment Claims Hit Highest Mark Since November
Despite strong job market, applications for jobless aid rose to 262K
- The number of Americans who signed up for unemployment benefits rose last week to the highest level since November, though the US job market continues to show signs of strength. Applications for jobless aid climbed by 14,000, to 262,000 and now have risen five out of the last...
Jobs Report Much
Stronger Than Expected
Aug 5, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Jobs Report Much Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 528K positions, far above estimates
- The new jobs report is out, and it shows that the labor market is still booming:
Employers added 528,000 jobs in July, far above expectations of 258,000, reports CNBC . The leisure and hospitality sector added the most (96,000), followed by health care (70,000).
Strong June Jobs Report
Has Investors Worried
Jul 8, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
Strong June Jobs Report Has Investors Worried
Another 372K jobs were added
- Hiring continues to defy expectations and remain strong, as the latest monthly report from the Labor Department demonstrates.
Employers added 372,000 jobs in June, well above analysts' predictions of 250,000, reports CNBC .
The unemployment rate remained at a low 3.6% for the fourth
Job Numbers Come In
Stronger Than Expected
Jun 3, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Job Numbers Come In Stronger Than Expected
Employers add a solid 390K in May, though that snaps long streak of at least 400K
- The jobs market remains strong, but it appears to be cooling off a smidge amid signs the labor shortage is easing. That seems to be the gist of coverage related to the new unemployment report released Friday.
Employers added 390,000 jobs in May, above estimates of 328,
For Every Unemployed Person,
2 Jobs Are Available
May 6, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
For Every Unemployed Person, 2 Jobs Are Available
It's a record-high proportion; new jobs figures for April reflect continued hiring
- The economy may be threatened on a number of fronts—inflation, a volatile stock market , a war overseas—but hiring is apparently not one of them. The new Labor Department numbers for April are out, and they reflect continued job growth:
Employers added 428,000 jobs in April, which
Hiring Streak in US
Sets an 80-Year Record
Apr 1, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hiring Streak in US Sets an 80-Year Record
We've had 11 straight months with gains of more than 400K jobs
- Despite red-hot inflation , US employers kept hiring at a solid pace in March. The key numbers:
Employers added 431,000 jobs for the month, coming in a bit shy of expectations of about 490,000. However, the
Wall Street Journal
points out this marks 11 straight months with gains
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.