Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Null and Void'
Sep 1, 2017 5:12 AM CDT
Kenya Election Results Declared 'Null and Void'
Nairobi is braced for unrest
- Kenya's Supreme Court on Friday nullified President Uhuru Kenyatta's election win last month and called for new elections within 60 days, shocking a country that had been braced for further protests by opposition supporters. No Kenya presidential election has ever been nullified. "It's a very historic...
IT Guy's July Murder
Is Now Roiling Kenya
Aug 9, 2017 12:24 PM CDT
IT Guy's July Murder Is Now Roiling Kenya
Losing candidate won't accept results, says killing led to a massive election hack
- Last month, the IT manager of Kenya's election commission was brutally murdered. Now his death is playing a role in unrest in the wake of Tuesday's presidential vote, chaos that threatens to plunge Kenya into violence with reverberations around the African continent. Here's what's happening:
Ahead of Kenya Vote
Aug 8, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Obama Issues Rare Statement Ahead of Kenya Vote
Former president asks leaders to 'reject violence and incitement'
- Barack Obama has mostly steered clear of politics—at least publicly—since leaving office. There was an alteration Monday, however, on the eve of an election in Kenya. The former president, whose father was born in the country, urged Kenyans to "work for an election—and aftermath—that is...
Kenya Nabs Suspected
Jun 18, 2014 10:56 AM CDT
Kenya Nabs Suspected Attack Ringleaders
Government insists al-Shabab wasn't to blame
- Kenyan authorities say they've arrested several people in connection with the massacres that have hit coastal regions in recent days, including the suspected ringleaders and the owner and driver of one of the vehicles used in an attack, the BBC reports. Police also arrested someone suspected of operating social...
Kenya President: It's
Over, Mall Collapsed
Sep 24, 2013 12:57 PM CDT
Kenya President: It's Over, Mall Collapsed
5 terrorists, 6 soldiers, and 61 civilians killed
- The siege of the Westgate Mall is over, Kenya's president announced today, after a dramatic final sweep that ended with three floors of the building collapsing. In a televised address, Uhuru Kenyatta said that 11 suspected terrorists had been arrested, and five others killed, NBC News reports. He put...
Kenya: 'Most' Hostages
Freed in Mall Siege
Sep 23, 2013 1:25 AM CDT
Kenya: 'Most' Hostages Freed in Mall Siege
But some militants still holed up inside
- At daybreak today, terrorists still appeared to be in control of part of a shopping mall in Nairobi despite a major Kenyan military offensive overnight. The military says the assault freed most of the remaining hostages after a two-day standoff that left at least 68 people dead, but Reuters journalists...
on Mall, Death
Toll Hits 68
Sep 22, 2013 2:51 PM CDT
Kenya Launches 'Major' Assault on Mall, Death Toll Hits 68
Security forces plan to end standoff tonight
- The death toll in the deadly attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall has risen to 68, according to the Red Cross, after the bodies of nine hostages were recovered today. Red Cross volunteers believe there are more bodies still inside the mall, but they're not reachable at the moment,...
Apr 9, 2013 3:33 AM CDT
Kenyatta Sworn In as Kenyan President
Becomes Africa's 2nd president facing ICC charges
- Uhuru Kenyatta has been sworn in as Kenya's fourth president. The country's chief justice administered the oath of office to Kenyatta in a sports stadium packed with tens of thousands of Kenyans and about a dozen African leaders today. Kenyatta, 51, the son of Kenya's first president,...
ICC Drops War Crimes Case Against Top Kenya Politician
Mar 11, 2013 9:56 AM CDT
ICC Drops War Crimes Case Against Top Kenya Politician
Francis Muthaura off the hook, but case against president-elect to continue
- International Criminal Court prosecutors are dropping their crimes against humanity case against Kenyan Cabinet secretary Francis Muthaura, it announced today, after a key witness admitted lying in his incriminating testimony. Muthaura was accused, along with now-president-elect Uhuru Kenyatta , of murder, rape, and more for allegedly helping to orchestrate the violence...
Mar 8, 2013 6:27 PM CST
War Crimes Suspect Wins Kenya Election
Uhuru Kenyatta is victor, but he faces international trial in July
- Uhuru Kenyatta has been declared the winner of Kenya's presidential election, and he appears to have avoided a runoff by the slimmest of margins, reports Reuters . He needed to get 50% of the vote, and the nation's election commission says he got 50.03%. That translates to 4,...
Loses in Kenya
Mar 7, 2013 2:45 PM CST
Half-Brother of Obama Loses in Kenya Elections
Malik Obama was running for governor
- The world will have to settle for only one political Obama, at least for the time being. The president's half-brother, Malik Obama, has lost his bid for a governorship in Kenya, reports Politicker . Results aren't final, but Obama apparently lost by a wide margin as an independent candidate,...
Attacks Kill 12
as Kenya Votes
Mar 4, 2013 2:03 AM CST
Attacks Kill 12 as Kenya Votes
Machete-wielding mob kills 5 cops in one ambush
- Kenya chooses a president today in a vote overshadowed by fears of a repeat of the ethnic violence that killed more than 1,200 people in the weeks after 2007's election. The vote got off to a violent start when a mob of 200 secessionists armed with machetes ambushed...
Ordered to Hague
Jan 23, 2012 12:20 PM CST
Kenyan Leaders Ordered to Hague
Presidential hopefuls to be tried for 2007 crimes against humanity
- The International Criminal Court has ruled that four Kenyans, including two possible presidential candidates, must stand trial for crimes against humanity. Finance minister Uhuru Kenyatta, ex-minister William Ruto, and two others will face the Hague court over violence following the 2007 election that left at least 1,220 dead, Reuters...
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.