Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Students Sue College
Over Vaginal Exams
May 19, 2015 6:33 PM CDT
Students Sue College Over Vaginal Exams
Women say Valencia College retaliated when they complained about ultrasounds
- Medical students sometimes perform procedures on fellow students in a practice known as "peer physical examination." But as the
notes, groups such as the US National Library of Medicine say clearer guidelines are needed. This lawsuit might speed things along: Two medical diagnostic students have sued...
North Dakota Bill Bans Abortions After 6 Weeks
Mar 16, 2013 9:04 AM CDT
North Dakota Bill Bans Abortions After 6 Weeks
Another outlaws them over genetic defects or gender selection
- Abortion opponents in North Dakota have one-upped their peers in Arkansas. Less than two weeks after the latter state banned abortions after 12 weeks, North Dakota lawmakers approved a ban after six weeks, reports the
. They also voted to outlaw abortions when a genetic defect is discovered—Down...
Serve Up Fresh
Feb 8, 2013 8:55 AM CST
State Republicans Serve Up Fresh Abortion Bills
Michigan backs off transvaginal ultrasound bill
- Republican lawmakers around the country are bringing abortion rights back into the spotlight—much to the chagrin of the party's leaders in Washington, who think the issue was part of the reason Romney lost among women by 11 points. Just this week, Republicans in at least four states introduced...
Jun 18, 2012 12:35 PM CDT
Saying 'Vagina' Should
Michigan lawmaker proves need for new bill: Dahlia Lithwick
- A Michigan lawmaker last week had the audacity to utter the word "vagina" on the House floor, prompting a ban on Rep. Lisa Brown talking at all. It's time to go a step further, writes Dahlia Lithwick at Slate : Let's make it illegal for women to utter...
Apr 5, 2012 2:26 PM CDT
RNC Chief: GOP Doesn't Have Woman Problem
Reince Priebus blasts media with 'war on caterpillars' analogy
- Enter the caterpillar. Republican National Committee chief Reince Priebus is generating headlines today with an insect analogy. In an interview with Bloomberg TV's Al Hunt , Priebus rejected charges that Republicans have a woman problem. “If the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars and every mainstream media...
Mar 12, 2012 1:27 AM CDT
Trudeau Rips Papers Axing
Cartoonist calls transvaginal ultrasounds GOP-sanctioned rape
- The cartoonist's pen might be mightier than the sword, but Gary Trudeau's mouth is also packing a punch. He's blasting newspapers that are dumping
this week because the strip attacks state abortion laws requiring transvaginal ultrasounds as rape. "I write the strip to be read,...
Virginia Senate Clears
Scaled-Back Ultrasound Bill
Feb 28, 2012 4:41 PM CST
Virginia Senate Clears Scaled-Back Ultrasound Bill
Measure requires external procedure before abortion
- Virginia moved a big step closer today toward a law that would require women to get an ultrasound before an abortion. The Virginia Senate passed the measure, with an exception for victims of rape or incest, reports the
Richmond Times Dispatch
. The ultrasound would be external, not the "transvaginal"...
Virginia Lawmaker: Ultrasound
Flap Cost Me Nookie
Feb 24, 2012 6:12 PM CST
Virginia Lawmaker: Ultrasound Flap Cost Me Nookie
Dave Albo says his wife was not amused
- We'll hope this is the last word on Virginia's transvaginal ultrasound controversy for a long time. GOP delegate Dave Albo took to the floor of the state House to describe how it caused him to miss out on a romantic night with his wife, reports the Huffington Post...
Feb 22, 2012 8:09 AM CST
Jon Stewart: Virginia Bill Turns Women Into Popsicles
He sets his sights on transvaginal ultrasounds
- A Virginia Democratic delegate told the
yesterday that he thought his Republican counterparts are "probably trying to figure out a way to get [ the abortion bill brouhaha ] off the front pages." Good luck with that. Jon Stewart last night was the latest to pile...
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.