Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the 6 Finalists
for New Minnesota State Flag
Nov 30, 2023 3:46 AM CST
Here Are the 6 Finalists for New Minnesota State Flag
State seal will also be replaced
- Minnesota is in the end stages of replacing its state flag, which many consider offensive to Native Americans . The State Emblems Redesign Commission has opened up a public comment period on the final six contenders for the new flag, none of which feature anything close to the current design involving...
An Errant Moose Is
Transfixing the Internet
Nov 22, 2023 12:05 PM CST
An Errant Moose Is Transfixing the Internet
Minnesota's Rutt the moose is being tracked by a herd of fans
- A herd of followers are tracking a moose on the loose in southern Minnesota, hoping the majestic animal's journey ends safely after it was spotted Tuesday 140 miles northwest of Minneapolis. The AP report that fans have been tracking the young male moose since late September and posting updates,...
Book Borrowed in 1919
Finally Returns to Library
Nov 19, 2023 2:05 PM CST
Book Borrowed in 1919 Finally Returns to Library
'Famous Composers Vol. 1' had already cheated destruction once
- If the St. Paul Public Library was that way, somebody would be facing a major penalty for returning a book 103 years late, the city's mayor joked. "At the 1919 rate of a penny per day, that would have been a $36k fine," tweeted Melvin Carter, whose...
Another Dem Jumping
in the Race Against Biden
Oct 27, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Another Dem Jumping in the Race Against Biden
Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips plans to announce he's taking on president from his own party
- President Biden already has a slew of Republicans vying for his job in the Oval Office— including the current frontrunner from that party, former President Trump—as well as fellow Democrats Marianne Williamson and Cenk Uygur , and independent candidates Cornel West and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Now, another Dem is...
This Is the Safest
State in America
Oct 23, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
This Is the Safest State in America
Vermont tops WalletHub's list, while Louisiana comes in last
- After the upheaval of the pandemic, it's soothing to get back to "normal." But that normality has brought us back to Earth on many other issues we're still contending with, including general safety, a term that can encompass many different forms. To see which states keep...
Five Officers Shot
Carrying Out Search
Oct 12, 2023 3:03 PM CDT
Five Officers Shot Carrying Out Search
All are taken to Minnesota hospitals, as is the suspect
- Five drug task force officers were shot and wounded Thursday while serving a search warrant near the east-central Minnesota city of Princeton, authorities said. The suspect was arrested after a standoff that lasted several hours, the AP reports. A news release from Benton County Sheriff Troy Heck said the officers...
Minnesota's Cannabis Boss
Runs Into Cannabis Trouble
Sep 25, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Minnesota's Cannabis Boss Runs Into Cannabis Trouble
Erin Dupree was about to assume post before reports emerged of her company's illegal sales
- The recently appointed director of Minnesota's new marijuana regulatory agency has resigned amid reports that she sold illegal cannabis products in the state, per the AP . Erin Dupree ran a business that sold products exceeding state limits on THC potency, owed money to former associates, and accumulated tens of...
Young Professionals, Check
Out the Work Climate Here
Sep 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Young Professionals, Check Out the Work Climate Here
New England dominates Scholaroo's best states for workers trying to establish their careers
- If you've just graduated or are graduating soon and are looking for a place to jump-start your career, some states offer more in the way of job markets and affordable living. Scholaroo attempts to flesh out which US states are the best for today's young professionals, using nearly...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
Minnesota Is Replacing Flag
Sep 5, 2023 4:53 PM CDT
Minnesota Is Replacing Flag Considered Offensive
State aims to make new flag official by April 1
- A state commission went to work Tuesday on designing a new state flag and seal for Minnesota to replace a current emblem in both that's considered offensive to Native Americans. One of the main elements of Minnesota's state flag includes a prominent state seal against a blue background....
Inmates in Hot Prison Return
to Their Cells Peacefully
Sep 4, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Inmates in Hot Prison Return to Their Cells Peacefully
Prisoners objected to lack of air conditioning, limited access to showers
- A Minnesota prison has "resolved without incident" a situation involving about 100 inmates in one housing unit who would not return to their cells Sunday, in what a former inmate called an act of "self-preservation" in the face of dangerously high temperatures in the region. The situation was...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Live In
Aug 14, 2023 3:17 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list; New Mexico comes in last
- Whether you're looking to relocate or just nosy about how your state ranks, WalletHub has a new analysis out on America's ideal places to live. The site looked at all 50 states across more than four dozen metrics, in five main categories: affordability; economy, including a state's...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
Judge Scolds Cop for Lack
of Remorse Over George Floyd
Aug 7, 2023 11:22 AM CDT
Judge Scolds Cop for Lack of Remorse Over George Floyd
Tou Thao says he was nothing more than 'human traffic cone' as officers fatally restrained Floyd
- Tou Thao , the last former Minneapolis police officer convicted in state court for his role in the killing of George Floyd, was sentenced Monday to 4 years and 9 months—even as he denied wrongdoing. As the AP reports, Thao had testified that he merely served as a "...
Trooper Kills Black Motorist
Who Tried to Drive Away
Aug 2, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Trooper Kills Black Motorist Who Tried to Drive Away
Coroner rules Ricky Cobb II's shooting death a homicide
- The head of the Minnesota State Patrol on Tuesday said troopers tried to take a man into custody for allegedly violating a restraining order before fatally shooting him as he fled by car. Troopers pulled over 33-year-old Ricky Cobb II, who was Black, for a traffic stop early Monday on...
This Is the Best State in
America for Health Care
Jul 31, 2023 5:47 PM CDT
This Is the Best State in America for Health Care
Minnesota tops WalletHub's list, with West Virginia coming in last
- Health care in the US before COVID was already a prime political topic—and after the pandemic hit, it became even more so. WalletHub wanted to see which states offered the best, most affordable services, so it looked at all 50 states and Washington, DC, using more than 40 metrics...
Cops: He Tried to Hide From Us,
Ended Up Dying in a Freezer
Jul 11, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
Cops: He Tried to Hide From Us, Ended Up Dying in a Freezer
Police: Minnesota man with warrant out for his arrest became trapped while evading authorities
- Last month, police in Gilbert, Minnesota, found the body of a man inside a freezer in an uninhabited residence. The man apparently didn't freeze to death, however—and cops say they now know why he was in there in the first place. Per a release from the Gilbert Police...
5 Young Women Prepping for
Friend's Wedding Killed in Crash
Jun 20, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
5 Young Women Prepping for Friend's Wedding Killed in Crash
Suspect allegedly sped through red light, hit their car
- The night before their friend's wedding, five young friends were out together in Minneapolis getting ready for the next day's celebration when a speeding driver ran a red light and rammed their car, killing all of them, police say. "These were individuals who had a bright future,...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Man Who Set Fire to Own
Property Hears His Fate
Jun 9, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Man Who Set Fire to Own Property Hears His Fate
Denis Molla, who initially blamed antifa for arson, gets 30 months in prison after Minnesota blaze
- A Minnesota man was sentenced Thursday to 30 months behind bars after setting fire to his own property to claim insurance money, and initially blaming the September 2020 arson on antifa. Per court documents cited by CBS News , Denis Vladmirovich Molla, 29, who'd first claimed that someone had torched...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.