Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
200 People Drift Away While
Ice Fishing in Minnesota
Nov 29, 2022 1:52 AM CST
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
All were rescued after chunk of ice broke off, drifted away in lake
- About 200 people ice fishing on a frozen Minnesota lake had to be rescued Monday after the chunk of ice they were on broke off and drifted away, the
reports. Police received a 911 call around 11:30am from Upper Red Lake in northern Beltrami County. First responders...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
DOJ: Man Who Blamed Leftists
for Arson Staged It Himself
Oct 14, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
DOJ: Man Who Blamed Leftists for Arson Staged It Himself
Graffiti hinting at BLM, antifa involvement was actually by 'victim' Denis Molla
- When Denis Molla called the cops after a fire ripped through his garage, camper, and other vehicles in September 2020, it seemed to be the work of left-leaning arsonists. Graffiti left on the garage included references to Black Lives Matter, antifa, and the Biden 2020 campaign, and Molla told CBS...
Nonprofit Founder, 46 Others
Charged in $250M Scheme
Sep 20, 2022 3:29 PM CDT
Nonprofit Founder, 46 Others Charged in $250M Scheme
It's the biggest pandemic-related fraud case to date
- Federal prosecutors indicted 47 individuals in Minnesota on Tuesday in a sprawling $250 million scheme described as the largest pandemic-related fraud case to date. According to the
Minneapolis Star Tribune,
the Minnesota-based nonprofit Feeding Our Future "was at the center of each indictment," which included charges of wire...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Drugs He Sold Killed 11 People.
He's Going to Jail for Life
Sep 14, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
Drugs He Sold Killed 11 People. He's Going to Jail for Life
Customers thought they were buying one drug, got a more dangerous one
- In 2016, drugs sold by Aaron Broussard killed 11 people and left others seriously injured. On Tuesday, the Minnesota 31-year-old was sentenced to life in prison, NPR reports. "Although the trauma felt by the victims can never be undone and the true cost can never be calculated, Mr. Broussard...
Have Had It
Sep 13, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
15K Nurses in Minnesota Have Had It
They hope 3-day strike will give them the upper hand in contract negotiations
- Some 15,000 nurses in Minnesota have walked off the job in what the
calls "the largest strike of private-sector nurses in US history," with some of 15 affected hospitals preparing for delays despite efforts to recruit traveling nurses. The three-day strike, which began Monday, comes...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Mom Sues Pharmacist
Kept Him From
Doling Out Meds
Aug 5, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Mom Sues Pharmacist Whose 'Beliefs' Kept Him From Doling Out Meds
Andrea Anderson had to try 3 Minnesota pharmacies before she could get morning-after pill in 2019
- In January 2019, during sex with her partner of more than 10 years, Andrea Anderson discovered the condom they were using had broken, and she immediately got a prescription for Ella, an emergency contraceptive that delays or stops ovulation—i.e., the morning-after pill, which doesn't end a pregnancy...
'Water Turned a
Red Tint in Places'
in River Tubing Stabbing
Aug 2, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
'Water Turned a Red Tint in Places' in River Tubing Stabbing
Nicolae Miu, of Prior Lake, Minnesota, was charged on Monday
- A 52-year-old Minnesota man was charged Monday with killing a teenager and stabbing four other people in a dispute that allegedly began with a lost cellphone during a weekend tubing excursion on a western Wisconsin river. Investigators said in court documents that Nicolae Miu, of Prior Lake, Minnesota, attacked the...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
After Husband's Suicide, She
Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Jul 7, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
After Husband's Suicide, She Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Her father offered to care for the children, but Molly Cheng refused: relative
- After her husband committed suicide, a Minnesota mother decided her only path was a triple murder-suicide that left herself and her three children dead along with him, according to police. Molly Cheng, 23, called 911 around 10:30am Friday to report the death of husband Yee Lee, 27, who was...
Lake Search Completes
Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Jul 3, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
3 young children, parents are dead in suspected murder-suicide
This story has been updated throughout with new developments.
The bodies of three young children and a woman believed to be their mother have been recovered from a Minnesota lake, and authorities say the deaths are being investigated as murder-suicide, per the AP . The body of the children's...
47 Cats Found in Car
During Extreme Heat
Jun 20, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
47 Cats Found in Car During Extreme Heat
Owner had been living with them in vehicle for 'some time,' Animal Humane Society says
- This is National Adopt a Cat Month, and the Animal Humane Society in Minnesota has 47 new arrivals that will need new homes. The AHS says the felines were rescued from a vehicle during extreme heat last week, WCCO reports.The society says it was contacted by the Chisago County...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Owner Is Giving Away
Jun 2, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
Owner Is Giving Away Small-Town Newspaper
Proprietor of Minnesota weekly paper says he wants to join struggle in Ukraine
- The proprietor of a small-town paper in Minnesota wants to help Ukraine in its hour of need—and he's looking for somebody to take over the
Lafayette Nicollet Ledger
. Lee Zion bought the weekly paper for $35,000 four years ago. He says it's profitable and debt-free, with...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.