Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Teen's Shooting at Door
Apr 17, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
Homeowner Charged in Teen's Shooting at Door
Ralph Yarl, 16, is hospitalized after arriving to pick up siblings
- Missouri prosecutors announced charges late Monday against the white man who shot a Black teenager who came to his Kansas City front door by mistake. Andrew Lester, 85, faces assault in the first degree and armed criminal action charges, both felonies, per CNN . "I can tell you there was...
Trayvon's Mom: 'I Never
Do Anything on the 26th'
Feb 27, 2022 5:53 AM CST
Trayvon's Mom: 'I Never Do Anything on the 26th'
Teen's death is remembered 10 years later
- The mother of Trayvon Martin used the 10th anniversary of her son's death Saturday to urge those who sought justice for her family to continue to fight, per the AP . “I never do anything on the 26th, I never even plan anything on the 26th of February,”...
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Lawyer, the Tables
May 12, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
For George Zimmerman's Lawyer, the Tables Have Turned
Mark O'Mara is now repping slain black teen Adrein Green
- The attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the fatal 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., now has the opposite case. Mark O'Mara is representing the family of a black teen who was fatally shot before 2am on May 5 as he allegedly attempted to burglarize a vehicle,...
Zimmerman Sues Trayvon's
Family, Others for $100M
Dec 4, 2019 1:52 PM CST
Zimmerman Sues Trayvon's Family, Others for $100M
He alleges there was a conspiracy
- Seven years after he fatally shot Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman has filed a lawsuit against the teen's family, prosecutors, and others tied to the case. The
reports the suit is intertwined with a new documentary called the
that alleges the teen's family got witnesses...
Audio Was Cut, Valedictorian
Says, at Mention of 'Tamir Rice'
Jun 6, 2019 6:46 PM CDT
Audio Was Cut, Valedictorian Says, at Mention of 'Tamir Rice'
Unfinished speech also mentioned victims of mass shootings
- "To the kids that were murdered in senseless mass shootings; to Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, and all the other children who became victims of injustice," a high school valedictorian in Dallas began saying Saturday. Then her microphone was cut, NBC reports. Rooha Haghar tweeted an account and a...
Trayvon Martin's Mom
Makes a Big Announcement
May 19, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Trayvon Martin's Mom Makes a Big Announcement
Sybrina Fulton plans to enter Florida politics
- Trayvon Martin's mother is running for political office, the
reports. Sybrina Fulton—whose son was infamously shot dead by a neighborhood crime watch captain in 2012—plans to officially announce Monday that she's running for the Miami-Dade County Commission. "Our county must continue moving forward...
Randy Moss Goes
With Statement Tie
at HOF Induction
Aug 6, 2018 12:41 AM CDT
Randy Moss Goes With Statement Tie at HOF Induction
'I just wanted these family members to know they're not alone'
- Randy Moss spoke for 17 minutes at his NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremony Saturday night—but his tie had even more to say. The wide receiver wore a tie with the names of a dozen black men and women who were killed by police, died in custody, or, in...
Parking Lot Death: No Arrest,
Lots of Controversy
Jul 24, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Parking Lot Death: No Arrest, Lots of Controversy
Florida shooting raises questions about state's 'stand your ground' law
- A controversy is brewing in Florida over a fatal shooting in a parking lot, one that involves renewed scrutiny of the state's "stand your ground" law. The basics:
On Thursday, 47-year-old Michael Drejka shot 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton in a dispute over a handicapped parking space at
George Zimmerman: I Have
No Job, No Assets, Owe $2.5M
May 24, 2018 8:37 AM CDT
George Zimmerman: I Have No Job, No Assets, Owe $2.5M
Man acquitted in Trayvon Martin case does have public defender to help with new stalking charges
- George Zimmerman is back in the legal system, apparently a little poorer this time around. CNN reports public defender Blaise Trettis has been assigned to Zimmerman—the Florida man acquitted in the 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin —after Zimmerman told a Seminole County court that he has...
George Zimmerman Arraigned
on Stalking Charge
May 7, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
George Zimmerman Arraigned on Stalking Charge
Zimmerman is accused of threatening an investigator for a film on Trayvon Martin
- Authorities say George Zimmerman threatened a private investigator working for a documentary filmmaker. Per the AP , court records show Zimmerman was issued a summons for a May 30 arraignment on a charge of misdemeanor stalking. A sheriff's report says the investigator contacted Zimmerman in September on behalf of Michael...
About to Receive
May 5, 2017 7:25 AM CDT
Trayvon Martin About to Receive College Degree
Florida Memorial University to honor him with posthumous aeronautical science bachelor's
- If Trayvon Martin were alive today, he would be 22 and perhaps preparing this month for his college commencement. One Florida school is giving his parents the honor of accepting a degree for him. CNN reports that Florida Memorial University will bestow a posthumous bachelor's degree in aeronautical science...
Jay Z Making
Film, TV Series
Mar 24, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
Jay Z Making Trayvon Martin Film, TV Series
Based on 2 books
- A Trayvon Martin movie and TV series are coming out, thanks to Jay Z. The rapper is teaming with the Weinstein Company to make a six-part docu-series as well as a narrative feature film focusing on the life and death of Martin, the 17-year-old shot and killed by George Zimmerman...
Zimmerman Talks About Trayvon, Gets Punched
Aug 5, 2016 5:53 AM CDT
Zimmerman Talks About Trayvon, Gets Punched
Witnesses say he was boasting about killing Trayvon Martin
- There are differing accounts of what happened at a Sanford, Fla., restaurant Sunday evening, but three things are clear: George Zimmerman discussed shooting Trayvon Martin, he was punched in the face, and he is no longer welcome at Gators Riverside Grille. WKMG reports that Zimmerman called 911 and said that...
Auction Ends: Zimmerman
May Get $120K for Gun
May 18, 2016 5:35 PM CDT
Auction Ends: Zimmerman May Get $120K for Gun
This time, the online sale appears to have worked
- It looks like George Zimmerman has sold his gun after all. Both TMZ and WKMG report an online auction that ended Wednesday received a verified top bid of $120,000 for the weapon used to kill Trayvon Martin. A higher bid of nearly $140,000 by "John Smith" appeared...
Trayvon Martin Parents
May 18, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Zimmerman Insults Trayvon Martin Parents
'They didn't raise their son right,' he says
- George Zimmerman appears to have decided he hasn't caused enough pain yet to the parents of the teenager he killed four years ago. In an interview with the Daily Beast , Zimmerman said Trayvon Martin's mother and father were bad parents who should "have an internal dialogue to...
Top 'Bid' for
May 13, 2016 6:16 AM CDT
Top 'Bid' for Zimmerman's Gun: $65M
One big bidder: 'Racist McShootface'
- George Zimmerman's attempt to sell the gun he used to kill Trayvon Martin appears to be back on again, though bidders are clearly making a joke of it. Early Friday morning, the leading bid in the online auction at UnitedGunGroup came from "Weedlord Bonerhitler" at a bit more...
May 12, 2016 11:41 AM CDT
Zimmerman's Gun Auction Taken Down
And Smithsonian denies wanting gun
- For reasons unknown, but easily guessed, GunBroker.com has taken down an auction listing for the gun George Zimmerman used to kill Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman had just listed the 9mm pistol with a starting bid of $5,000, and the auction was set to start at 11am Eastern Thursday. By...
May 12, 2016 6:41 AM CDT
Zimmerman Selling Gun That Killed Trayvon Martin
He puts 'piece of American history' up for auction
- George Zimmerman says he is "honored and humbled" to be selling the gun he killed Trayvon Martin with four years ago. Zimmerman has listed the 9-mm pistol on a gun auction site, calling it a "piece of American history" that the Smithsonian is interested in, reports the
Zimmerman Tweets Photo
We Didn't See Coming
Sep 28, 2015 3:00 PM CDT
Zimmerman Tweets Photo We Didn't See Coming
'Z-Man is a one man army' accompanies sad photo
- George Zimmerman's Twitter feed attracted a little attention Sunday when he retweeted a photo of Trayvon Martin's dead body—along with the words "Z-Man is a one man army." He soon took down the tweet, which was originally posted by @SeriousSlav , an apparent admirer, but this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.