Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Words at UN
Dec 4, 2023 1:54 PM CST
Al Gore Has Fighting Words at UN Climate Summit
Says conference host is head of 'one of the largest and one of the dirtiest ... oil companies in the world'
- Don't trust the oil and gas industry to report their actual carbon pollution, says former US Vice President Al Gore, who adds that the man leading the United Nations climate talks runs one of the "dirtiest" oil companies out there. "They're much better at capturing politicians...
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
Rare Drone Attack
Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Jan 17, 2022 4:33 PM CST
Rare Drone Attack Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Yemeni Houthi rebels claim responsibility
- A rare attack in the United Arab Emirates killed at least three people Monday and the commander of American forces at a nearby base says they are ready to assist UAE authorities if needed. Authorities say that in a drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels, three tanker trucks...
180K Attend Historic
Abu Dhabi Mass
Feb 5, 2019 12:11 AM CST
180K Attend Historic Abu Dhabi Mass
Pope wraps up visit to Arabian Peninsula
- Pope Francis ministered on Tuesday to the thriving Catholic community in the United Arab Emirates as he concluded his historic visit to the Arabian Peninsula with the first-ever papal Mass here and a call for his flock to remain meek in following God. A day after making a broad appeal...
The Pope Goes
on a Historic Journey
Feb 3, 2019 1:10 PM CST
The Pope Goes on a Historic Journey
Pope Francis arrives in Abu Dhabi
- Pope Francis landed Sunday in Abu Dhabi on the first-ever papal trip to the Arabian Peninsula, where he is seeking to turn a page in Christian-Muslim relations while also ministering to a unique, thriving Catholic community, the AP reports. Francis earlier Sunday called for the urgent observation of a limited...
Qatari Royal Says He's a
'Prisoner' of Abu Dhabi Prince
Jan 14, 2018 4:00 PM CST
Qatari Royal Says He's a 'Prisoner' of Abu Dhabi Prince
Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali al-Thani made the claim in a YouTube video.
- A member of the Qatari royal family says he's being held prisoner in the United Arab Emirates by Abu Dhabi's crown prince. Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali al-Thani made the claim in a YouTube video released by Emirates news site UAE 71 on Sunday. "I'm currently in...
Solar Flight Just Made History
Jul 25, 2016 8:21 PM CDT
Solar Flight Just Made History
Solar Impulse 2 lands in Abu Dhabi, completing an around-the-world flight
- The world's first around-the-world flight to be powered solely by the sun's energy made history Tuesday as it landed in Abu Dhabi, where it first took off on an epic 25,000-mile journey that began more than a year ago, reports the AP . Since its March 2015 takeoff,...
Abu Dhabi Jails Woman for
Facebook Picture of Car
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 19, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Abu Dhabi Jails Woman for Facebook Picture of Car
Jodi Magi has 'zero idea' why she's in trouble for post about parking
- They could have just washed her mouth out with soap, but instead Abu Dhabi officials threw Australian Jodi Magi in jail for posting a picture of a parked car online, Australia's ABC News reports. It started in February when Magi, annoyed at a driver who took up two handicap-parking...
UAE Executes Killer
of American Teacher
Jul 13, 2015 4:12 AM CDT
UAE Executes Killer of American Teacher
By firing squad
- Authorities in the United Arab Emirates say they have executed a woman with links to Islamic extremists who was convicted of murdering an American teacher with a butcher knife in an upscale Abu Dhabi mall. Authorities say Alaa Bader Abdullah al-Hashemi, a 30-year-old mother of six, was put to death...
Nightmare Flight: Fliers
Stuck on Plane for 28 Hours
Jan 5, 2015 8:22 AM CST
Nightmare Flight: Fliers Stuck on Plane for 28 Hours
12 of those hours spent on the tarmac in Abu Dhabi
- Passengers flying from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates landed Saturday evening in San Francisco—but only after a grueling 28 hours on the plane, only 16 of which were spent in flight. They sat on the Abu Dhabi tarmac stranded by dense fog, unable to deplane, for 12...
Jan 2, 2015 10:01 AM CST
Selena Gomez Bares Ankle in Mosque, Sparks Outrage
People angered at show of disrespect
- Selena Gomez stirred up a controversy in Abu Dhabi by posting an Instagram shot of herself flashing her right ankle during a visit to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque there earlier this week. In addition to the ankle-baring photo, Gomez posted a photo to Instagram of herself and friends including...
to Tune of
Dec 4, 2014 2:03 PM CST
UAE Released Murder Video— to Tune of
- If you thought police departments were done issuing crazy/hamfisted/jaw-dropping missives
you thought wrong. Abu Dhabi's police arrested a woman in the stabbing murder of an American schoolteacher, and they released video of surveillance footage, the crime scene, and the suspect's arrest—and, as the
American Mom Stabbed
to Death in Abu Dhabi Mall
Dec 3, 2014 6:00 AM CST
American Mom Stabbed to Death in Abu Dhabi Mall
She was attacked in public bathroom
- Police in Abu Dhabi are searching for a suspect who killed an American woman in an upscale mall, but they don't have much to go on: The black-clad person captured on security footage had his or her face covered with a niqab. Police say the 37-year-old woman, a kindergarten...
Video to Be
Jan 7, 2014 2:31 PM CST
American Jailed Over Goofy Video to Be Freed: Report
Shezanne Cassim will be deported from UAE
- The United Arab Emirates plans to release jailed American consultant (and amateur sketch comic) Shezanne Cassim this week. Cassim has already been moved from a federal prison to a desert deportation center near Abu Dhabi, the
reports. A family spokesperson tells CNN that he should head back to the...
Oct 22, 2013 9:52 AM CDT
Nokia Introduces New Windows Tablet, Phablet
Phone offers 6-inch, 1080p display
- With Apple preparing for its (possibly iPad-themed) event in San Francisco today, Nokia is making some noise of its own over in Abu Dhabi. The device maker has added several new gadgets to its lineup, including a Windows tablet and a big-screen phone, or phablet. The new Lumia 1520 phone...
Oct 22, 2013 1:57 AM CDT
Mosque Boots Too-Racy Rihanna
Singer asked to leave Abu Dhabi's Grand Mosque
- Rihanna wore a headscarf and black jumpsuit for a weekend photo shoot in Abu Dhabi but her presence was still considered inappropriate for the location—the world's eighth-biggest mosque. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre says she was asked to leave after she arrived at "a gate that...
Jun 24, 2013 12:14 PM CDT
As Universities Go Global, Free Thought Goes Missing
Jackson Diehl: Campuses in 'unfree' countries hurt student, faculty rights
- With Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng accusing NYU of yielding to Beijing , intellectual freedom at US universities is in the spotlight, and Jackson Diehl is concerned. Schools like Yale and NYU are focused on expanding their reach, opening campuses across the globe—including in "unfree countries," he writes in...
To Thwart Iran, US Plans
to Sell Bombs to UAE
Nov 11, 2011 7:46 AM CST
To Thwart Iran, US Plans to Sell Bombs to UAE
Bunker busters would be ideal for, say, taking out a nuclear facility
- With the world growing nervous about Iran’s allegedly accelerating nuclear weapons program, the US is drawing up plans to sell thousands of “bunker-buster” bombs to the United Arab Emirates, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
. Abu Dhabi’s ruling family, the al Nahyans, is seen as one of...
Dive on US Downgrade
Aug 7, 2011 10:00 AM CDT
Mideast Markets Dive on US Downgrade
S&P credit rating reverberates overseas, as well
- Stocks tumbled across the Middle East today as most regional markets reopened following the historic downgrade of the United States' credit rating. The region's markets mostly operate Sunday to Thursday, meaning they were the first to react to Standard & Poor's decision late Friday to cut the US...
Name In Sand
Jul 20, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
Sheikh Scrawls 2-Mile-Long Name In Sand
And it's so large, you can see it from space
- When it comes to flaunting your wealth, nobody does it like Hamad bin Hamdan al-Ahyan. The so-called “Rainbow Sheikh” of the United Arab Emirates is known for outlandish purchases like the world’s largest truck (which has four bedrooms in its cabin) or his earth-shaped motor home (which is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.