Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We 'Did Everything
We Could' to Stay
Nov 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
A's Owner: We 'Did Everything We Could' to Stay
Team's move to Las Vegas approved by MLB owners
- One of Rob Manfred's first trips after his election as baseball commissioner nine years ago was to Oakland to consult with Athletics owner John Fisher on attempts to keep the team in the Bay Area. Unable together to make that work, the A's will instead move to Las...
Now Just 5 MLB Teams
Have Never Won a World Series
Nov 1, 2023 9:00 PM CDT
Now Just 5 MLB Teams Have Never Won a World Series
After Texas Rangers beat Arizona Diamondbacks
- Corey Seager took a mighty hack and barely connected, sending a dribbler through an open area on the left side of the infield for his team's first hit in the seventh inning on the Texas Rangers' way to their first World Series title. The Rangers shortstop and World Series...
Frank Howard Was
an Imposing Slugger
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Frank Howard Was an Imposing Slugger
Stadiums could not always hold star's home runs
- Frank Howard, a four-time All-Star who slugged 382 home runs during a lengthy major league career that included a World Series title with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1963, has died. He was 87 and died in Aldie, Virginia. Howard's death was announced by the Washington Nationals, the AP...
This World Series
Oct 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
This World Series Matchup Was Very Unlikely
And yet here we are: Diamondbacks will play Rangers, starting Friday
- Tell the truth: How many people picked Arizona and Texas to meet in the World Series? A Rangers-Diamondbacks matchup had 1,750 to 1 odds when wagering opened last fall. But in an era when 12 teams make the playoffs, sustained excellence over the six-month regular season has become a...
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot
at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oct 17, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oakland Athletics' Trevor May rails against John Fisher while announcing retirement
- Trevor May informed the world that he was retiring from Major League Baseball on Monday, but not before taking a parting shot at the owner of his team. Per
, the 34-year-old relief pitcher for the Oakland Athletics made his announcement in a Twitch video , and while he had...
She Made MLB
Makes an Exit
Oct 16, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
She Made MLB History, Now Makes an Exit
Kim Ng was the first woman GM of an MLB team, is leaving after 3 seasons with the Miami Marlins
- Kim Ng is leaving the Miami Marlins after three seasons as general manager, Marlins chairman and principal owner Bruce Sherman announced Monday. Ng, 54, became the majors' highest-ranking woman in baseball operations and the first female GM in the four major North American professional sports leagues in a groundbreaking hire...
Locker Has Been
Sep 16, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Shohei Ohtani's Locker Has Been Cleaned Out
Star pitcher-hitter will miss rest of the season and could be moving on after that
- Shohei Ohtani wasn't in the locker room after the Los Angeles Angels' game Friday night, and reporters couldn't help noticing the star's locker had been cleaned out. When asked what was going on with the pitcher-designated hitter, team officials held a sidebar, per Yahoo Sports , then said...
MLB Won't Relax
New Rules for Postseason
Sep 1, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
MLB Won't Relax New Rules for Postseason
Pitch clock could make a bigger difference in playoffs
- Major League Baseball's new pitch clock has helped reduce the average game time by almost 25 minutes over last season. But for the postseason, some players supported allowing more time between pitches to reflect the greater intensity—and, perhaps, drama—of those games, Sports Illustrated reports. That won't...
Star Pitcher-DH Is
Tired, for Some Reason
Aug 13, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Star Pitcher-DH Is Tired, for Some Reason
The Angels' Shohei Ohtani will skip a start as pitcher but not miss the game
- The Los Angeles Angels have gotten a lot of work out of Shohei Ohtani this season. As a designated hitter, he has a .305 batting average, with 83 RBI, and he leads the American League in home runs with 40. As a starting pitcher, Ohtani has a 10-5 record in...
MLB Hands Out Punishment
After Knockdown Brawl
Aug 7, 2023 4:58 PM CDT
MLB Hands Out Punishment After Knockdown Brawl
Play at second base touched off a 15-minute melee between the White Sox and Guardians
- Players, managers, and a coach received suspensions and fines Monday for their involvement in an on-the-field brawl during a game Saturday between the Chicago White Sox and the Cleveland Guardians. MLB imposed the stiffest penalties on the principal combatants, Chicago's Tim Anderson and Cleveland's José Ramirez, CBS Sports...
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm
Going to Remember Forever'
Jun 29, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm Going to Remember Forever'
New York Yankees' Domingo German pitches perfect game in 11-0 victory over Athletics
- Since arriving in the big leagues six years ago, Domingo German has been anything but perfect—until now. The New York Yankees right-hander pitched the 24th perfect game in major league history Wednesday night, retiring every Oakland batter in an 11-0 victory over the Athletics. It was the first perfect...
Jun 15, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Commissioner Has Suspicions About Cheating
Manfred says umpires are calling only pitchers' most obvious violations
- Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred thinks the use of banned sticky stuff is more widespread than the three pitchers ejected this season for illegal grip aids. "I am sure that out of an abundance of caution and good judgment, umpires have had questionable situations that they decided: just not quite...
MLB Team Cuts Player After
Jun 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
MLB Team Cuts Player After Anti-LGBTQ+ Controversy
Blue Jays pitcher Anthony Bass shared divisive social media post, apologized, then defended it
- On Friday, Toronto Blue Jays relief pitcher Anthony Bass was set to catch the ceremonial first pitch, thrown by a local LGBTQ+ activist to kick off his team's Pride Weekend, in a matchup against the Minnesota Twins. Instead, the Blue Jays cut Bass from the roster hours before the...
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night
After 2nd Round of Backlash
May 23, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night After 2nd Round of Backlash
MLB team uninvited LGBTQ+ charity group after conservative complaints, then reinvited them
- It didn't seem out of the ordinary that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence , an LGBTQ+ charity and satirical performance drag group in which participants dress as nuns, had been invited to the Los Angeles Dodgers' 10th annual Pride Night next month. The group was set to receive a "...
Celebrated Baseball Writer
Was 'Always Fair'
May 22, 2023 5:01 PM CDT
Celebrated Baseball Writer Was 'Always Fair'
Rick Hummel covered Cardinals, MLB for a half-century
- Rick Hummel, an esteemed sports writer who covered the St. Louis Cardinals and Major League Baseball for five decades for the
until his retirement last year, has died. He was 77. Hummel died in his sleep at his St. Louis-area home Saturday after a short, aggressive illness, the newspaper...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Bo Knows Hiccups,
a Little Too Well
May 11, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Bo Knows Hiccups, a Little Too Well
Elite retired NFL, MLB athlete, who's had the condition for nearly a year, is getting surgery
- We all know how annoying it is to be stricken with a bout of hiccups, but few of us can attest to what it's like when those spasms go on for almost a full year. Elite athlete Bo Jackson now falls in the latter group, and he's "...
Vida Blue Won
3 Straight Years
May 7, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Vida Blue Won World Series 3 Straight Years
Hard-throwing pitcher was a leader of the '70s Oakland A's
- Vida Blue, a hard-throwing left-hander who became one of baseball's biggest draws in the early 1970s and helped lead the brash Oakland Athletics to three straight World Series titles before his career was derailed by drug problems, has died. He was 73. The A's said Blue died Saturday,...
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment
of the 2023 MLB Season'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment of the 2023 MLB Season'
Drew Maggi gets standing ovation in MLB debut after 13 seasons in minor league
- Drew Maggi has played 1,154 games of minor league baseball over a 13-year career, hoping for his big league debut. In 2019, he thought his dream had finally come true. But the Phoenix native, called up by the Minnesota Twins, never actually took to the field, per the
Perfect Game Bid Ends Painfully
Apr 21, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Perfect Game Bid Ends Painfully
Cubs' Smyly collides with his catcher on a dribbler in front of the plate
- Drew Smyly lost his bid for a perfect game Friday when he collided with his catcher while trying to field an eighth-inning dribbler, which went for a leadoff infield single, in the Chicago Cubs' 13-0 rout of the Los Angeles Dodgers. With the 32.9mph smash, David Peralta became the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.