Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Team Starts Historic Lineup
on Roberto Clemente Day
Sep 15, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Team Starts Historic Lineup on Roberto Clemente Day
The late Hall of Famer is honored across baseball
- The Tampa Bay Rays made major league history on Thursday by starting nine Latin American players against the Toronto Blue Jays. It happened as baseball celebrated Roberto Clemente Day, honoring the late Hall of Fame outfielder from Puerto Rico. Clemente played 18 seasons with Pittsburgh, per the AP , winning four...
Is Killed in Crash
Sep 12, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
Pitcher-Turned-Cop Is Killed in Crash
Port Authority officer Anthony Varvaro was headed to 9/11 ceremony
- He pitched in the major leagues, then took the unusual career path of becoming a police officer. Now 37-year-old Anthony Varvaro is dead following a duty-related car crash, reports ABC7 . Varvaro, an officer with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, was on his way to the World...
MLB Union Objects
to New Rules Adding
Clock, Limiting Shifts
Sep 11, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
MLB Union Objects to New Rules Adding Clock, Limiting Shifts
Also coming next season: larger bases
- Fans who disapprove of Major League Baseball's decision to have a clock govern the game for the first time can take comfort in the fact that the players union is unhappy, too. The sport's Competition Committee approved three rule changes on Friday, including adding a pitch clock. Afterward,...
Hot Streak Puts
Aug 21, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Hot Streak Puts Homer Milestone in Reach
Albert Pujols may hit 700th home run before retiring after all
- Conventional baseball wisdom suggested Albert Pujols would end this season, his last, just short of 700 home runs—painfully shy of joining the group that numbers only Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth. That script is being rewritten, Bob Nightengale writes in
. After hitting five home runs...
MLB Player Who Dropped
Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Aug 16, 2022 7:19 PM CDT
MLB Player Who Dropped Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Pittsburgh Pirates' Rodolfo Castro is appealing the decision
: Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Rodolfo Castro has been hit with a one-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for having a iPhone in his pocket during a game last week, a violation of the league's strict ban on electronic devices on the field. The suspension would have kept him...
Shakes Up MLB
Aug 13, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Star's Suspension Shakes Up MLB
Tatis is out till next year after testing positive for performance-enhancing substance
- The San Diego Padres had just cleaned out their farm system for trades to build a team capable of reaching the World Series. The biggest addition, just before the trade deadline last week, was Juan Soto, an outfielder who's one of the biggest stars in the game. They already...
Mike Trout Has
Rare Back Issue
Jul 28, 2022 4:41 PM CDT
Mike Trout Has Rare Back Issue
'My career isn't over,' 3-time MVP says after diagnosis
- Mike Trout, the Los Angeles Angels' star centerfielder and three-time league MVP who's considered by many to be among the best players in baseball, has developed a rare back condition that could limit him for the rest of his career. The condition is called costovertebral dysfunction at T5, CNN...
This Year's All-Star Game
Features a Rare Pairing
Jul 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
This Year's All-Star Game Features a Rare Pairing
2 brothers, the Contrerases, will start for the National League
- When Major League Baseball plays its annual All-Star Game on July 19, the National League's starting roster will feature a rare thing: two brothers. Willson Contreras of the Chicago Cubs is the catcher, while younger brother William Contreras of the Atlanta Braves is the team's designated hitter, reports...
Keep Quiet if You
Jul 7, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Ballplayer's COVID Lesson: Keep Quiet if You Have Symptoms
Mets pitcher went on the list after a positive test but insists, 'I was never sick'
- New York Mets pitcher Chris Bassitt said Thursday that he "probably won't" inform team and Major League Baseball officials if he feels COVID-19 symptoms in the future. MLB should “just stop testing,” he said, the AP reports. Bassitt was placed on the COVID-19 list on July...
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
May 26, 2022 6:17 PM CDT
Yankees Player Broadens His Apology
Josh Donaldson tells Rachel Robinson he holds her Hall of Famer husband 'in the highest regard'
: Josh Donaldson, the Yankees player suspended by Major League Baseball after addressing an opponent as "Jackie," has apologized to Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson's family. In a statement issued Thursday, CBS Sports reports, Donaldson reiterated that he had meant no disrespect and had already apologized to...
Reporter Hit by
'95MPH Line Drive'
May 20, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Reporter Hit by '95MPH Line Drive' Is Recovering
Kelsey Wingert was hit in the head while covering Colorado Rockies game
- Colorado Rockies TV reporter Kelsey Wingert says she is recovering after a foul ball hit her in the head during Monday's game in Denver. "I took a 95 MPH line drive to my head," she tweeted Wednesday night, sharing a photo of her stitches. The 29-year-old, who...
for 324 Games
Apr 29, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Trevor Bauer for 324 Games
Dodgers pitcher says he'll appeal harshest penalty yet under the domestic violence policy
- Trevor Bauer, the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher accused by a woman of sexually assaulting her twice last year, has been suspended for two years by Major League Baseball. The action, announced Friday by Commissioner Rob Manfred, is the most severe imposed yet under MLB's domestic violence policy, ESPN reports....
Padres Are First MLB Team
to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
Apr 19, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Padres Are First MLB Team to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
They'll be wearing Motorola patches next season
- There will be a new pitch on Major League Baseball fields next season. The San Diego Padres became the first team to announce a deal for ads on their uniforms, saying Tuesday that patches with a Motorola logo will be worn on the right sleeves of their jerseys. The March...
Than the Orioles
Apr 14, 2022 5:38 PM CDT
One Player Makes More Than the Orioles
Average MLB salary hits $4.4M, with Max Scherzer paid the most
- The average salary in the major leagues rebounded to $4.4 million on opening day, boosted by a frenzy of free agent signings before and after the 99-day lockout, according to a study of baseball contracts by the AP . New York Mets pitcher Max Scherzer set a season record at...
Checks of Pitchers for Cheating
to Become Less Predictable
Mar 26, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Checks of Pitchers for Cheating to Become Less Predictable
Spin rates rose once players got used to inspections, MLB memo says
- Major League Baseball is asking umpires to make more random checks of pitchers for sticky substances after watching its crackdown become less effective late last season. Regular checks for grip aids began June 21. Spin rates fell at first, an MLB sent memo to teams and players Friday says. "...
Mar 10, 2022 7:20 PM CST
MLB Deal Expands Playoffs, DH
More rule changes could be implemented next season under agreement
- "I want to start by apologizing to our fans," Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said in announcing that owners and players have agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement , allowing the 2022 season to begin April 7. After 99 days, the owners canceled their lockout at 7pm Thursday; they'...
Another 93 Games
Mar 9, 2022 7:30 PM CST
MLB Cancels Another 93 Games
Owners, players are closer on some issues, but not an international amateur draft
- Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred canceled 93 more games Wednesday, appearing to close the remaining chance to play a full 162-game schedule and threatening locked-out players with loss of salary and service time. After the sides narrowed many economic differences and became bogged down over management's attempt to gain an...
MLB Opening Day
Is Officially Canceled
Mar 1, 2022 4:50 PM CST
MLB Opening Day Is Officially Canceled
Players rejected league's 'best and final offer'
- Major League Baseball has canceled opening day, with Commissioner Rob Manfred announcing Tuesday the sport will lose regular-season games over a labor dispute for the first time in 27 years after acrimonious lockout talks collapsed in the hours before management’s deadline. Manfred said he is canceling the first two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.