Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brittney Griner Makes a
'Sweeping' Deal With Disney
Dec 8, 2023 10:44 AM CST
Brittney Griner Makes a 'Sweeping' Deal With Disney
WNBA star will tell her story in ESPN documentary, scripted series for ABC Signature
- Practically a year to the day after she was released from a Russian prison, Brittney Griner has some big news. Deadline reports that the 33-year-old center for the Phoenix Mercury has signed a "sweeping" deal with Disney that will include not only an ESPN documentary, but also a scripted...
Brittney Griner Backs Out
of 2 Games on the Road
Jul 31, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Brittney Griner Backs Out of 2 Games on the Road
Mercury Phoenix says WNBA star is taking a bit of a break 'to focus on her mental health'
- Since May, Brittney Griner has been back in game mode on the basketball court with her team, the Phoenix Mercury. Now, the WNBA star is taking a bit of a break, to take a little more care of herself in the aftermath of her detention in Russia, reports CBS News...
WNBA Stars Plan New League
Jul 6, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
WNBA Stars Plan New League
Idea is to give players an alternative to going overseas in the offseason
- Two WNBA stars announced Thursday they're starting a new league to give players an alternative to competing overseas in the offseason. Breanna Stewart of the New York Liberty and Napheesa Collier of the Minnesota Lynx said their league, named Unrivaled, will play from January through March, while the WNBA...
WNBA Teams Can Now Take
Charter Flights. There's a Catch
Jun 16, 2023 9:36 AM CDT
WNBA Teams Can Now Take Charter Flights. There's a Catch
Allowance made after Griner harassed at airport comes with limitations on where service flies to
- WNBA players can choose not to mix with the rest of the population anymore when flying to away games. League sources tell ESPN that teams will now be able to use a public charter service called JSX to book their flights, following an incident last weekend in which Phoenix Mercury...
Jun 11, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
'Provocateur' Harasses Griner at Airport
WNBA star accused of hating America by YouTube personality
- A man described as a social media "provocateur" confronted WNBA star Brittney Griner at a Dallas airport Saturday, accusing her of hating America as he shouted questions at her on camera. The league as well as Griner's team, the Phoenix Mercury, said they were aware of the incident...
Brittney Griner Plays Once
More, 'Just Like Old Times'
May 13, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Brittney Griner Plays Once More, 'Just Like Old Times'
Phoenix Mercury center's WNBA preseason game was her first game since her detention in Russia
- Brittney Griner strolled down the sideline about 1 1/2 hours before the Phoenix Mercury played Friday night, giving hugs and high-fiving her teammates, coaches, and opposing players. Then it was a little stretching, a little shooting, and a little agility work to prepare for a basketball game. Just like old...
'I Am Humbled'
Apr 28, 2023 6:38 AM CDT
Gershkovich Sends Message: 'I Am Humbled'
'WSJ' reporter detained in Russia gets support from Griner, Biden, 3 big US newspapers
- Last week, the world caught a glimpse of detained
Wall Street Journal
reporter Evan Gershkovich in a Moscow courtroom, looking calm as he stood in a glass cage and heard that his appeal to be released while awaiting an investigation into the spying charges against him was turned down. Now,...
I'm Not Leaving
US Soil Again
Apr 27, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Brittney Griner: I'm Not Leaving US Soil Again
WNBA star says the only exception is if it's for Team USA
- Brittney Griner held her first press conference Thursday since being freed from Russian detention in December, and she made a pledge few could fault: "I'm never going overseas to play again unless I'm representing my country at the Olympics," the WNBA star told reporters in Phoenix,...
Feb 19, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Brittney Griner Returns to Familiar Territory
WNBA star signs with Phoenix of the WNBA after being released from detention in Russia
- Brittney Griner is headed back to the world of pro basketball. Griner signed a one-year deal with the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury to play in the upcoming season, reports the AP . The 32-year-old missed all of the 2022 season after a 10-month ordeal in Russia that included time in a...
Russia Releases Another
Jan 12, 2023 11:55 AM CST
Russia Releases Another Detained American
Case of Taylor Dudley hadn't been widely known
- Russia has released a US Navy veteran who'd been detained for nine months, reports the
. The name Taylor Dudley of Lansing, Michigan, may not ring a bell, however, because the 35-year-old's family had largely kept his case under the public radar, per CNN . Former New Mexico...
Cherelle Griner: We Were
'Instantly Crying' on Reunion
Dec 27, 2022 6:03 PM CST
Cherelle Griner: We Were 'Instantly Crying' on Reunion
She talks to 'People' about Brittney Griner's homecoming, their next steps
- Cherelle and Brittney Griner are spending the holidays together at their home in Arizona—and it's a moment that seemed impossibly distant at times during the 294 days Brittney Griner was detained in Russia. Cherelle Griner tells
that when she saw her wife's face through a window...
Brittney Griner Wants You
to Send Paul Whelan a Letter
Dec 22, 2022 12:39 PM CST
Brittney Griner Wants You to Send Paul Whelan a Letter
WNBA wants people who supported her to do the same for other detained Americans
- Letters from supporters ensured Brittney Griner "never lost hope" during 10 months in Russian detention—and she hopes they'll do the same for Paul Whelan. "I hope you'll join me in writing to Paul Whelan and continuing to advocate for other Americans to be rescued and...
Griner Posts Her First
Message to Fans
Dec 16, 2022 12:08 PM CST
Griner Posts Her First Message to Fans
'Feels so good to be home!' wrote WNBA star, who says she'll play for Phoenix Mercury this season
- Now that she's got that first dunk out of her system, Brittney Griner is finally heading to her home in Arizona. The WNBA star, who flew back to the United States on Dec. 9 after being released by Russia in a prisoner swap, has spent the past week in...
Dec 12, 2022 6:25 PM CST
Trump: I Turned Down Trading Bout for Whelan
US and Russia plan to discuss American's release this week
- Former President Trump said Sunday that he rejected a Russian prisoner trade that would have freed American Paul Whelan. In a post on Truth Social, the Hill reports, Trump said the price—the US release of notorious arms dealer Viktor Bout—was too high. "I turned down a deal...
Brittney Griner Makes
a Fitting First Move
Dec 12, 2022 11:01 AM CST
Brittney Griner Makes a Fitting First Move
WNBA star dunks in light basketball workout
- Brittney Griner still hasn't addressed the public since her release from prison in Russia, but ESPN reports a nice development in her journey back to normalcy: She's dunking basketballs again. Griner's agent tells the outlet that the WNBA star worked out on a basketball court for the...
What Happened on Brittney
Griner's Long Ride Home
Dec 11, 2022 2:30 PM CST
What Happened on Brittney Griner's Long Ride Home
'I have been in prison for 10 months now, listening to Russian. I want to talk.'
- WNBA star Brittney Griner didn't want any alone time as soon as she boarded a US government plane that would bring her home. "I have been in prison for 10 months now, listening to Russian. I want to talk," Griner said, according to Roger Carstens, the special...
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,'
as Viktor Bout Slams US
Dec 9, 2022 2:21 PM CST
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
WNBA star has been reunited with her wife in Texas
- No new photographs or video emerged Friday afternoon of Brittney Griner, but the newly freed athlete has been reunited with her wife and appears to be in good health after 10 months in custody in Russia.
“She has been reunited with her wife, Cherelle," said White House press
Lands in Texas
Dec 9, 2022 5:56 AM CST
Brittney Griner Lands in Texas
She'll meet wife, undergo checks at Brooke Army Medical Center
- Brittney Griner is back in the US. The WNBA star released from Russian custody as part of a prisoner swap was seen stepping off a plane that landed at Kelly Field in San Antonio, Texas, around 5:30am Friday, CNN reports. That arrival followed the exchange in Abu Dhabi, mediated...
Whelan: 'I Don't Understand
Why I'm Still Sitting Here'
Dec 8, 2022 12:26 PM CST
Whelan: 'I Don't Understand Why I'm Still Sitting Here'
He's glad Griner is free, but 'greatly disappointed' he's still being held in Russia
- WNBA star Brittney Griner is on her way back to the US after a prisoner exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout. Relatives of another American still imprisoned in Russia say that while the deal was the right thing to do, this is still a painful moment for them—and...
Brittney Griner Freed by
Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Dec 8, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
CBS News reports she was exchanged for arms dealer Viktor Bout
- Brittney Griner has been freed in a one-for-one prisoner swap for international arms dealer Viktor Bout, CBS News reports by way of a US official. The network reports the prisoner exchange happened Thursday in the United Arab Emirates, the culmination of a deal reportedly reached a week ago and given...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.