Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer Accused of Bringing
More Than Papers to Jail
Nov 22, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Lawyer Accused of Bringing More Than Papers to Jail
Ronald Lewis, 77, is accused of smuggling drug-laced documents to inmates in Texas facility
- A good attorney will have your back as you navigate all the legalities of your case. An even better attorney knows that "having your back" doesn't translate to sneaking narcotics into the facility where you're incarcerated. That's exactly what lawyer Ronald Henry Lewis is accused of...
You Can Soon Practice Law
Here Without Taking Bar Exam
Nov 19, 2023 9:40 AM CST
You Can Soon Practice Law Here Without Taking Bar Exam
In 2024, Oregon will offer an apprenticeship alternative to law school students
- If you're a law school student who breaks out in a cold sweat at the thought of taking the bar exam, good news if you live in the Beaver State: A "more inclusive" way to becoming an attorney is here, according to the head of the Oregon Board...
Bad News for Former Trump
Lawyer John Eastman
Nov 3, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Bad News for Former Trump Lawyer John Eastman
Calif. judge finds the alleged author of the Jan. 6 memo preliminarily culpable of misconduct
- Multiple defendants have already made guilty pleas regarding the Georgia case that alleges former President Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election. There are quite a few stragglers who haven't yet been offered plea deals, including ex-Trump attorney John Eastman, who now finds himself getting some not-great news in...
Another Trump Attorney
Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Oct 24, 2023 9:16 AM CDT
Another Trump Attorney Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Jenna Ellis reaches a deal with prosecutors over 2020 election
- Jenna Ellis, an attorney and prominent conservative media figure, reached a deal with prosecutors Tuesday and pleaded guilty to reduced charges over efforts to overturn Donald Trump's 2020 election loss in Georgia, per the AP . Ellis, the fourth defendant in the case to enter into a plea deal, was...
the Plea Deal.
Oct 20, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Powell Took the Plea Deal. Looks Like He Didn't
Sources: Kenneth Chesebro, co-defendant in Georgia election interference case, rebuffed offer
- Attorney Sidney Powell accepted a plea deal from Georgia prosecutors on Thursday over efforts to overturn the 2020 election in favor of former President Trump. Powell was supposed to stand trial with another co-defendant, attorney Kenneth Chesebro, but he'll apparently be going it solo now: A source tells NBC...
Sidney Powell Takes a Plea,
Must Apologize to Georgians
Oct 19, 2023 9:51 AM CDT
Sidney Powell Takes a Plea, Must Apologize to Georgians
She gets 6 years of probation, must testify in the election interference case
- Lawyer Sidney Powell pleaded guilty to reduced charges Thursday over efforts to overturn former President Donald Trump's loss in the 2020 election in Georgia, becoming the second defendant in the sprawling case to reach a deal with prosecutors. Powell, who was charged alongside Trump and 17 others with violating...
on Lawyer's Use of AI
Oct 17, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Fugees Rapper Blames Conviction on Lawyer's Use of AI
Prakazrel 'Pras' Michel says David Kenner hid personal stake in 'experimental' AI program
- Prakazrel "Pras" Michel wants his April corruption conviction thrown out, partly because his high-profile defense attorney allegedly relied on artificial intelligence to deliver his final arguments. Accused of conspiring with Malaysian businessman Jho Low to funnel money to political campaigns through straw donors and attempting to influence the Trump...
Jul 7, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
DC Panel: Giuliani Deserves Disbarment
Former Trump lawyer says he'll fight punishment over false election claims
- "He claimed massive election fraud but had no evidence of it," a Washington, DC, bar committee said Friday of Rudy Giuliani. "By prosecuting that destructive case Mr. Giuliani, a sworn officer of the Court, forfeited his right to practice law." The three-member discipline panel thus unanimously...
Lawyers Who Prepped With
ChatGPT Learn Their Fate
Jun 23, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Lawyers Who Prepped With ChatGPT Learn Their Fate
Steven Schwartz, Peter LoDuca fined $5K for having 'abandoned their responsibilities'
- Two lawyers who filed error-filled court briefs with input from ChatGPT will each have to pay a $5,000 fine and notify each of the real judges whose names appeared in the filing of the outcome of the case. But Judge P. Kevin Castel of Manhattan's Federal District Court...
A Lawyer Went to the Bathroom
at Work. He Never Came Back
in case you missed it
Apr 1, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
A Lawyer Went to the Bathroom at Work. He Never Came Back
No body has been found, but Florida plastic surgeon Tomasz Kosowski is charged with murder
- The last time Florida attorney Steven Cozzi was seen was last Tuesday, at his office in Largo. Now, a local plastic surgeon is facing first-degree murder charges in Cozzi's death, though the lawyer's body still hasn't been located, reports FOX 13 . Police say that after executing a...
Judge: Trump's Attorney-Client
Privilege May Be 'Pierced'
Mar 22, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Judge: Trump's Attorney-Client Privilege May Be 'Pierced'
Sources say special counsel Jack Smith claimed Trump misled his lawyers over classified docs
- Friday was federal Judge Beryl Howell's last day as chief judge on DC's US District Court, but before she stepped down, she entered a sealed filing with developments on the case involving classified documents seized from former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate last August. Within that filing, sources...
Judge's Sentencing Remark
Shows Murdaugh Family Pull
Mar 3, 2023 1:32 PM CST
Judge's Sentencing Remark Shows Murdaugh Family Pull
Painting in courtroom of Alex Murdaugh's grandfather had to be removed to 'ensure a fair trial'
- Alex Murdaugh received two life sentences Friday in South Carolina for the murder of his wife, Maggie, and 22-year-old son, Paul. But before Judge Clifton Newman handed down his decision, he mentioned the sad downfall of Murdaugh, who comes from a prominent family of attorneys in the region, and commented...
Hunter Biden's Legal Team
Is Now Playing Hardball
Feb 2, 2023 7:50 AM CST
Hunter Biden's Legal Team Is Now Playing Hardball
Lawyers' aggressive new attempt to turn the tables involves urging probes of Giuliani, Bannon
- House Republicans have started their long-sought investigation into Hunter Biden—but the legal team of the president's son has decided it's not going to settle for playing defense. CBS News reports that Biden's lawyers tag-teamed this week in an aggressive new strategy, going hard against longtime detractors...
to See Rockettes
Dec 21, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Mom's Attempt to See Rockettes Stymied by Facial Recognition
Kelly Conlon says she was booted from Radio City Music Hall because of where she works
- A mother and attorney from New Jersey is warning about powerful companies' use of facial recognition to target perceived enemies after the technology helped get her kicked out of a show at New York City's Radio City Music Hall. Kelly Conlon was escorting a Girl Scouts troop to a...
Judge Makes Trump Lawyers
Pay for Hillary Clinton Lawsuit
Nov 12, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Judge Makes Trump Lawyers Pay for Hillary Clinton Lawsuit
Defendants were forced to hire lawyers by a 'frivolous' filing, ruling says
- A team of Donald Trump's lawyers has been penalized and scolded by a federal judge over a conspiracy lawsuit they filed against Hillary Clinton and others. US District Judge Donald Middlebrooks ordered Alina Habba, Peter Ticktin, and associates to pay a combined $50,000 penalty, in addition to reimbursing...
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in
Parkland Court Investigated
Nov 4, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in Parkland Court Investigated
Florida Bar confirms probe involving Tamara Curtis, assistant public defender for shooter
- One of the assistant public defenders for the Parkland school shooter is now the subject of a probe herself. Per NBC Miami , the Florida Bar confirmed Thursday that Tamara Curtis is being investigated, though it's remaining tight-lipped on what the investigation entails. Local 10 reports that Curtis wasn't...
Man in Prison for 31 Years
Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Jun 27, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
Man in Prison for 31 Years Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Natlie Figgers, out of law school just 2 years, helps free wrongly convicted Thomas Raynard James
- It started with a murder in Miami, a crime that sent Thomas Raynard James to prison for more than three decades. In April, however, a judge vacated James' conviction and set him free, thanks to the efforts of an attorney just two years out of law school who was determined...
Defense Lawyer's Remark on
Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
Nov 23, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Defense Lawyer's Remark on Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
'Beyond rude,' is how Arbery's mother characterized Laura Hogue's comment
- The trial over the shooting death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery continues, and on Monday, one of the defense attorneys found herself taking heat for a comment she made about Arbery's appearance. Per 11Alive , Laura Hogue, who's representing Gregory McMichael, stood up during closing arguments and insisted that what...
Before His Death, Lawyer
Admits to Whopping Court Lie
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Before His Death, Lawyer Admits to Whopping Court Lie
2 men were exonerated in abduction of Seagram heir, but it appears they shouldn't have been
- It was a sensational case, and it appeared to be a slam dunk for prosecutors. Back in 1975, two men in Brooklyn were arrested and charged with kidnapping 21-year-old Samuel Bronfman, an heir to the Seagram Company fortune. The two suspects, Irish immigrants named Mel Lynch and Dominic Byrne, confessed,...
In Spears' Bid to Dump
Conservatorship, a New Name
Jul 12, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
In Spears' Bid to Dump Conservatorship, a New Name
Ex-federal prosecutor Mathew Rosengart is said to be gearing up to represent the singer
- Britney Spears' court-appointed attorney wants out of his job , but the singer already seems to have new counsel lined up. A source tells the
New York Times
that prominent celebrity lawyer Mathew S. Rosengart looks to be Spears' choice to represent her as she fights to cut dad Jamie Spears'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.