Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We Haven't Seen This on
the Birth Front for 7 Years
May 24, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
There was a 1% increase in number of births in 2021—the first rise since 2014, per CDC report
- For the first time in seven years, the US birth rate has risen—meaning predictions that the pandemic would have a more significant impact on becoming a parent went slightly off course. Americans welcomed to the world 3.66 million babies in 2021, up 1% from the previous year, according...
Median Age for
in US Hits
May 9, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Median Age for Giving Birth in US Hits Record High
It's now 30, according to US Census Bureau
- For Allyson Jacobs, life in her 20s and 30s was about focusing on her career in health care and enjoying the social scene in New York City. It wasn't until she turned 40 that she and her husband started trying to have children. They had a son when she...
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other
Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Feb 1, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Birth 'Was Uneventful Other Than Being at 30,000 Feet'
Baby born over the Atlantic on flight from Ghana to US
- No one wants to hear "Is there a doctor on board?" while they're halfway through an 11-hour journey over the Atlantic. Luckily for one mom-to-be, there was not only a doctor, but also a nurse and a former nurse on United Airlines Flight 997, and they all helped...
Inside Newborn's Large
Tummy: Parts of a Twin
Jul 29, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Inside Newborn's Large Tummy: Parts of a Twin
It's likely a rare case of 'fetus in fetu' in Israel
- A baby girl born in Israel this month is doing well after surgery to remove what is thought to be at least one embryo from her stomach, likely from a twin she absorbed. When the child's mother arrived at Ashdod's Assuta Medical Center to give birth, "we...
Meghan and Harry
Welcome Lilibet Diana
Jun 6, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Meghan and Harry Welcome Lilibet Diana
Couple's second child is born in Santa Barbara, named after grandmother and great-grandmother
- Lilibet "Lili" Diana Mountbatten-Windsor has arrived, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced Sunday. Their second child was born Friday morning at a Santa Barbara hospital, the couple said in a statement, weighing 7 pounds, 11 ounces. "Both mother and child are healthy and well, and settling in at...
Drop in US Birth
Rate Could Lead
May 5, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Drop in US Birth Rate Could Lead to 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Birth rates have fallen for the 6th year in a row, and pandemic may be helping that trend along
- For the sixth year in a row, birth rates in the US have fallen, and, combined with a slowing down of immigration and an increasing number of deaths, it all points to a "shifting demographic picture" in America, reports the
New York Times
. CDC data released Wednesday shows there...
Plane Lands in Hawaii
With One More Passenger
Than When It Departed
May 3, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Plane Lands in Hawaii With One More Passenger Than When It Departed
Doctor, 3 neonatal ICU nurses help deliver baby on Delta flight
- Many doctors have had to come to the rescue during a flight to help a sick or hurt passenger, but Dr. Dale Glenn's in-air episode last week was unlike most. "I've experienced this before, and usually they're pretty clear asking if there is a doctor on...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
Sep 17, 2020 3:32 PM CDT
NFL Player's New Son Makes Surprise Arrival
Kevin Byard helped his wife Clarke as she gave birth in a bathtub
- An NFL player says he made the catch of a lifetime before the 2020 season even started, ESPN reports. Kevin Byard, star safety for the Tennessee Titans, says his wife suddenly gave birth on Aug. 23 in their Tennessee home—and he was the only one there to help. Byard...
If We Can't Solve This Problem,
Our Species 'Disappears'
Jul 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
If We Can't Solve This Problem, Our Species 'Disappears'
Experts predict crash in births will force societal overhaul
- Experts say we'll need to "reorganize societies" to respond to a "jaw-dropping" decrease in the number of Earthlings being born. To keep a steady population, a woman needs to have 2.1 children on average so as to account for infant mortality and childless women. Women were...
3 Sisters, 3 Births on
Same Day, Same Hospital
Jul 14, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
3 Sisters, 3 Births on Same Day, Same Hospital
'This kind of blew everybody away'
- Three Ohio sisters have defied odds by giving birth on the same day in the same hospital with the same obstetrician overseeing their deliveries, per the AP . Daneesha Haynes, Ariel Williams, and Ashley Haynes gave birth July 3 at OhioHealth Mansfield Hospital within a four-and-a-half-hour span, the
Mansfield News Journal
Guards Fail to Notice
Inmate Giving Birth
May 29, 2020 12:06 AM CDT
Guards Fail to Notice Inmate Giving Birth
Texas inmate gives birth in jail cell
- A woman managed to go into labor and give birth alone in a Texas jail cell without any corrections officers noticing until after she had delivered the child, a sheriff's official said Thursday. The woman had the baby in a Fort Worth jail cell on May 17, according to...
After Miracle in
Toilet Paper Aisle
Mar 21, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Customers Cheer After Miracle in Toilet Paper Aisle
It came as a surprise for Walmart customers in Springfield, Missouri
- Customers cheered at a Walmart in Missouri after a woman gave birth to a baby girl in the store's toilet paper aisle, the AP reports. Jessica Hinkle, manager of the store in Springfield, said the woman told employees Wednesday that her water broke. Hinkle held up a sheet for...
New Stat Hints at
Jan 17, 2020 9:42 AM CST
New Stat Hints at a 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Low birth rate, low death rate in China has researchers, economists there worried
- There's a "looming crisis" brewing in China, one the
New York Times
says could eventually have a "seismic effect." Per the country's National Bureau of Statistics, about 14.6 million babies were born there last year, an almost 4% drop from 2018. It's the...
Another Drop in Fertility Rate
Suggests Deep Social Change
Nov 27, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Another Drop in Fertility Rate Suggests Deep Social Change
Births increased among women in late 30s, early 40s
- The US fertility rate fell for a fourth year in a row in 2018 to the lowest level in about three decades. The 3,791,712 births—59.1 for every 1,000 women of childbearing age—was down 2% from 2017 and 15% from 2007, according to data out...
'Extraordinary Case' Leads
to Record-Setting Pregnancy
Sep 4, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
'Extraordinary Case' Leads to Record-Setting Pregnancy
Healthy baby girl born in Czech Republic to brain-dead mom who'd suffered stroke 117 days earlier
- For nearly four months, Czech medical staff kept a brain-dead pregnant woman on life support, touching her stomach, moving her legs to simulate walking, and talking to her unborn child. On Aug. 15, the fruit of their efforts was born: a healthy baby girl, weighing 4 pounds, 11 ounces and...
to Give Birth
Aug 12, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
10 Best, Worst States to Give Birth
Vermont comes out on top, Mississippi on bottom
- Having a baby is a beautiful—and also expensive and possibly stressful—thing. WalletHub analyzed all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, on 30 factors related to cost (on average, the cost of a conventional delivery in the US is more than $10,000, but some states are pricier...
Ohio Birth Marks a
First in North America
Jul 10, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
Ohio Birth Marks a First in North America
Baby girl born from dead donor's transplanted womb
- Ohio has welcomed North America’s first—and the world's second—baby born from the transplanted uterus of a deceased donor. The healthy baby girl was born via caesarian section in June to a mother who became pregnant through in vitro fertilization about a year after receiving a transplant...
Newborn Makes History for
Her Incredible Birth Weight
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 2, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Newborn Makes History for Her Incredible Birth Weight
Doctors said 'Saybie' only had an hour to live
- When she was born, the baby girl weighed about the same as an apple. A San Diego hospital on Wednesday revealed the birth of the girl and said she is believed to be the world's tiniest surviving micro-preemie, who weighed just 8.6 ounces when she was born in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.