Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Space Trivia Buffs: There's
a New Leader in Moons
Feb 6, 2023 11:48 AM CST
Space Trivia Buffs: There's a New Leader in Moons
Jupiter adds 12 to reach 92 and move ahead of Saturn
- Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92. That's more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, is second with 83 confirmed moons. The Jupiter moons were added recently to a list kept by the International...
Been This Close
to Europa Since 2000
Sep 30, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
NASA Hasn't Been This Close to Europa Since 2000
Juno spacecraft got within 219 miles of Jupiter's icy moon
- NASA's Juno spacecraft has made the closest approach to Jupiter’s tantalizing, icy moon Europa in more than 20 years. Juno on Thursday zipped within approximately 219 miles of Europa, thought to have an ocean flowing beneath its thick frozen crust, raising the possibility of underwater life. Scientists hailed...
to Give Earth
a Better Look
Sep 25, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
2 Events to Give Earth a Better Look at Jupiter
Planet will be a mere 367 million miles away on Monday
- Citizens of Earth are about to get a better look than usual at Jupiter, as it comes closer to Earth than it's been since 1963. "Jupiter is so bright and brilliant that a really nice thing about it is even in a city, in the middle of a...
'We’ve Never Seen
Jupiter Like This'
Aug 22, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
'We’ve Never Seen Jupiter Like This'
Webb telescope captures stunning images
- The world’s newest and biggest space telescope is showing Jupiter as never before, auroras and all. Scientists released the shots of the solar system's biggest planet Monday. The James Webb Space Telescope took the photos in July, capturing unprecedented views of Jupiter’s northern and southern lights, and...
Ever See 5 Planets
Lined Up Before?
Here's Your Chance
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 11, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Ever See 5 Planets Lined Up Before? Here's Your Chance
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn will all be aligned in June
- Get ready for a planetary sky show not seen since "Hey Ya!" topped the charts and Mark Zuckerberg was launching Facebook out of his college dorm room. Throughout the month of June, those on the US mainland will be able to see, sans telescope, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter,...
Apr 27, 2022 2:58 PM CDT
Venus, Jupiter to Converge This Weekend
Planets' conjunction best viewed early Saturday
- Despite being millions of miles apart, Venus and Jupiter appear to meet in the night sky about once a year in what's known as a conjunction. But skywatchers who take in the sight this year are in for a real treat, as the planets will appear much closer than...
Juno Gets Close-Ups
of Jupiter's Biggest Moon
Jun 8, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Juno Gets Close-Ups of Jupiter's Biggest Moon
They're the first shots of Ganymede since 2000
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft has provided the first close-ups of Jupiter’s largest moon in two decades. Juno zoomed past icy Ganymede on Monday, passing within 645 miles. The last time a spacecraft came that close was in 2000 when NASA’s Galileo spacecraft swept past our solar system’s...
Newly Discovered Planet
'Is a Very Hellish World'
Apr 28, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Newly Discovered Planet 'Is a Very Hellish World'
TOI-1431b is 3 times the size of Jupiter and hotter
- Being 490 light-years from Earth, a newly discovered planet would be difficult to get to. That's just as well. "This is a very hellish world," an astrophysicist said. That's because, the team that pinpointed it found, TOI-1431b is inhospitably hot—hot enough to melt metal, hotter...
Treat in the Sky
Dec 21, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Remember Monday Night's Treat in the Sky
Jupiter and Saturn will appear nearly as one planet, a celestial rarity
- The 2020 winter solstice has arrived, and along with it a moment that sky watchers have been anticipating for a while. Jupiter and Saturn will be so close in the night sky that they'll be difficult to distinguish as separate planets, per CNN . This so-called Great Conjunction hasn't...
to Occur Monday After Sunset
Dec 20, 2020 1:54 PM CST
Once-in-a-Lifetime Event to Occur Monday After Sunset
A Great Conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter last happened in 1623
- Jupiter and Saturn will merge in the night sky Monday, appearing closer to one another than they have since Galileo’s time in the 17th century, the AP reports. Astronomers say so-called conjunctions between the two largest planets in our solar system aren't particularly rare. Jupiter passes its neighbor...
a Sight Not
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2020 4:00 PM CST
This Solstice, a Sight Not Seen Since Middle Ages
Jupiter and Saturn will be in close alignment, the closest seen since 1226
- This year's winter solstice comes with a nice bonus for sky watchers: Jupiter and Saturn will be so close they will look like a double planet on Dec. 21, reports Fox Science . In fact, earthlings haven't had a chance to glimpse the pair so close since the Middle...
Moon of Jupiter
Reveals a Surprise
Nov 9, 2020 2:32 PM CST
Moon of Jupiter Reveals a Surprise
Researchers say Europa glows in the dark
- Scientists have just figured something out about the Jupiter moon Europa—it glows in the dark. Which, as a post at NASA points out, might not seem that weird to a layman. After all, we look up and see our own moon glowing in the night sky. But something entirely...
Alarm Over Jupiter's
Great Red Spot? Unnecessary
Nov 27, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Alarm Over Jupiter's Great Red Spot? Unnecessary
Researchers say it's not going anywhere
- "We feel confident that the sky is not falling"—quite literally. So says Philip Marcus, a professor of fluid mechanics at the University of California, Berkeley. He's part of a team that looked into the potential fate of Jupiter's Great Red Spot and determined it's...
Discoveries Mean Saturn
Leads Jupiter in Moons, 82-79
Oct 7, 2019 6:02 PM CDT
Discoveries Mean Saturn Leads Jupiter in Moons, 82-79
A bigger telescope will have to be invented before more can be spotted
- The solar system has a new winner in the moon department: 20 new moons have been found around Saturn, giving the ringed planet a total of 82, scientists said Monday. That beats Jupiter and its 79 moons, the AP reports. "It was fun to find that Saturn is the...
Jupiter Is Putting On
a Show for You
Jun 7, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Jupiter Is Putting On a Show for You
It will be most clearly visible Monday night but should be big and bright all month
- Casual sky-watchers interested in getting a nice look at Jupiter have pretty simple advice to follow this month: Go outside at night and look up. Monday night in particular, about midnight local time, should provide the clearest view, reports
. The planet should be visible with the naked eye,...
10 More Moons
of Jupiter Confirmed,
Including Tiny 'Oddball'
Jul 17, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
10 More Moons of Jupiter Confirmed, Including Tiny 'Oddball'
Planet has 79 moons total
- Astronomers are still finding moons at Jupiter, 400 years after Galileo used his spyglass to spot the first ones. The latest discovery of a dozen small moons brings the total to 79, the most of any planet in our solar system, the AP reports. Scientists were looking for objects on...
Lightning Strikes on Jupiter
Differ From Ours in One Way
Jun 7, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Lightning Strikes on Jupiter Differ From Ours in One Way
Strikes can occur at same rate and in the same frequency, but the where isn't the same
- Astronomers have been intrigued at the notion of lightning strikes on Jupiter since Voyager 1 detected flashes nearly four decades ago, notes Space.com . Now the Juno orbiter has revealed a surprise: Those strikes are more similar to lightning strikes on Earth than previously thought. For one thing, Jupiter's...
Photos of Jupiter's Great Red
Spot Are Closest Ever Taken
Jul 12, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
Photos of Jupiter's Great Red Spot Are Closest Ever Taken
Juno spacecraft flew within 6K miles of giant storm this week
- Jupiter's Great Red Spot has never looked greater. On Monday, NASA's Juno spacecraft got closer to the giant storm than any man-made object in history, the
reports. According to CBS News , Juno came within 2,200 miles of Jupiter's clouds and 5,600 miles of...
Scientist Outs Jupiter as
Lord Byron's Famous 'Star'
Jul 4, 2017 8:07 AM CDT
Scientist Outs Jupiter as Lord Byron's Famous 'Star'
The Romantic's 'single star' was most likely Jupiter
- The Romantic poet Lord Byron found inspiration for one of his greatest works in a "single star" that he said reigned with the moon "o'er half the lonely heaven." So here comes science to replace the romance with fact: A physics professor at Texas State University...
With Jupiter's 'Red
Spot' Is Imminent
Jul 3, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Close Encounter With Jupiter's 'Red Spot' Is Imminent
Juno spacecraft will 'dive' into celestial storm on July 10
- NASA's Juno spacecraft will celebrate its first birthday circling Jupiter with the first close-up early next week of the gassy planet's Great Red Spot, Phys.org reports. The "spot" is actually an epic, 10,000-mile-wide storm that has likely been swirling above our solar system's biggest...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
Newly Released Selfie Shows Gabby Petito 'Documenting' Injuries
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.