Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Emergency Workers Charged
With Murdering Patient
Jan 11, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Emergency Workers Charged With Murdering Patient
Illinois EMS workers allegedly restrained him in ambulance improperly
- Two Illinois emergency medical service employees have been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a patient who was in their care in December. Peggy Finley, 44, and Peter Cadigan, 50, who work for LifeStar EMS, were called to the home of Earl L. Moore, Jr., 35, by police...
Getting Arrested Is Normal for
Children at This Tiny School
Dec 24, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Getting Arrested Is Normal for Children at This Tiny School
At Garrison, it's all about showing the kids who's really in charge
- In rural Illinois, there is a place called the Garrison School, which exists for children with severe emotional or behavioral disabilities. Although its motto is "The Sharing, Caring School," Jacksonville locals know it as a school for "bad kids." That perspective is perhaps reinforced by how...
Hackers to College Students:
'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Dec 20, 2022 3:27 PM CST
Hackers to College Students: 'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Knox College's ransomware attack represents 'escalation in the extortion market'
- Ransomware attacks against educational institutions are on the rise, with Illinois' Knox College becoming the latest victim. But as NBC News reports, this attack is unique as it "marks the first known case in which hackers used their access to contact students directly in order to intimidate them."...
Caterpillar to Blame for
Worker's Fall Into Molten Iron
Nov 16, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Caterpillar to Blame for Worker's Fall Into Molten Iron
OSHA proposes $145K fine over Steve Dierkes' death in June
- A worker had been on the job a little over a week when he fell into a pot of molten iron that ABC News reports was "twice as hot as lava." Steve Dierkes, a melting specialist at a Caterpillar foundry in Mapleton, Illinois, was "immediately incinerated" by...
Driver in Wrong-Way Crash
That Killed 7 Had 0.164% BAC
Nov 15, 2022 1:19 AM CST
Driver in Wrong-Way Crash That Killed 7 Had 0.164% BAC
Family of 6 and a teenage friend were killed in July tragedy
- The Illinois woman who drove the wrong way on I-90 on July 31, killing two adults and five children in the van she hit, was drunk, police say. The woman was also killed in the crash. The victims were a family of six (the father, who was initially hospitalized after...
At Least 14 Injured
in Halloween Shooting
Nov 1, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
At Least 14 Injured in Halloween Shooting
3 children are among the injured on Chicago street
- At least 14 people, including three children, were injured in a drive-by shooting in Chicago's Garfield Park neighborhood on Halloween night, police said. The youngest victims are a 3-year-old, an 11-year-old, and a teenager who may be 13 years old, Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said, per the AP...
Planned Parenthood Plans
Mobile Abortion Clinic
Oct 3, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood Plans Mobile Abortion Clinic
Illinois clinic will travel close to Missouri, Kentucky borders
- Planned Parenthood officials on Monday announced plans for a mobile abortion clinic—a 37-foot RV that will stay in Illinois but travel close to the borders of adjoining states that have banned the procedure since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade earlier this year. The announcement came 100 days...
Winners of $1.34B
Mega Millions Jackpot
'Over the Moon'
Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Winners of $1.34B Mega Millions Jackpot 'Over the Moon'
Illinois pair finally steps forward to claim prize, is choosing to stay anonymous
Mystery solved—kind of. Until this week, it wasn't clear if the person(s) who'd won the second-biggest Mega Millions lottery ever, a staggering $1.34 billion jackpot, knew they'd purchased the winning ticket in Illinois, let alone who that was. Now, at least the first half...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Nearly 3 Decades Later,
Sep 8, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Nearly 3 Decades Later, an Exoneration
Herman Williams' wrongful conviction for ex-wife's murder tore family apart
- "Don't give up." That's the message from a man who was just exonerated of a first-degree murder conviction for which he spent almost 29 years in prison. Herman Williams left Illinois' Sheridan Correctional Center on Tuesday after the Lake County State's Attorney's Office acknowledged...
3 Hurt in Amusement Park
Shooting Outside Chicago
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
3 Hurt in Amusement Park Shooting Outside Chicago
Someone fired from a vehicle in Six Flags Great America parking lot
- Three people were injured late Sunday in a shooting at an amusement park north of Chicago, the AP reports. Three people were hurt in a parking lot outside Six Flags Great America in Gurnee when shots were fired from a vehicle, according to a spokesperson for the park, which is...
Guard Accused of
to Ditch Work
Aug 4, 2022 9:49 AM CDT
Lollapalooza Guard Accused of Ill-Chosen Attempt to Ditch Work
Janya Williams, 18, allegedly sent message to co-worker about a supposed shooting threat
- A teen security guard for the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago last week has been arrested after allegedly making a phony mass-shooting threat so she could try to clock out early. Per the
, Cook County prosecutors say Janya Williams, 18, was working the fest on...
After She Spoke of 'Toxic'
Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Jul 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
After She Spoke of 'Toxic' Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Sania Khan said stigma in South Asian communities make it hard for women to flee unhealthy relationships
- After his ex-wife discussed their "toxic" marriage and divorce on TikTok, a Georgia man allegedly drove 11 hours, shot and killed the woman, then turned the gun on himself as cops closed in. That's according to Chicago police, who heard a gunshot and a groan as they arrived...
Officials: Parade Suspect Drove
North, Considered 2nd Shooting
Jul 6, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Officials: Parade Suspect Drove North, Considered 2nd Shooting
Suspected gunman will be held without bond
The man charged with killing seven people when he shot at parade-watchers in Highland Park, Ill., confessed to police that he fired on the crowd, a prosecutor said Wednesday, though no plea has been entered in the case. Lake County Assistant State's Attorney Ben Dillon added that police...
the Focus on
Jul 5, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Shooting Puts the Focus on Well-Known Highland Park
Actor Rachel Brosnahan 'spent nearly every day after school' near the scene
- Monday's mass shooting in Highland Park, Ill., is hitting celebrities with ties to the community especially hard. Actress Rachel Brosnahan, who grew up in the area where director John Hughes shot scenes for movies including
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
, wrote on social media that she...
Highland Park Police: 'Person
of Interest' Is in Custody
Jul 4, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Highland Park Police: 'Person of Interest' Is in Custody
Robert E. Crimo was taken into custody 8 hours after mass shooting in Chicago suburb
- Police say a man they have described as a "person of interest" in the mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade Monday is now in custody. Highland Park police say 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo was taken into custody without incident around eight hours after the shooting, the
2 Hours After Parade Killings,
Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
Jul 4, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
Darren Bailey issues apologetic statement after negative reaction to his response
- The Republican nominee for governor of Illinois posted a Facebook video on Monday addressing the shooting at a Fourth of July parade about two hours earlier in his state. Darren Bailey suggested praying for the victims' families and law enforcement officers, and then returning to the day's festivities, the...
Police Say Parade Shooter
Fired From Rooftop
Jul 4, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Police Say Parade Shooter Fired From Rooftop
Description of Highland Park suspect released
- Police in Illinois have released a description of the gunman believed to have killed at least six people at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb. Highland Park police say the suspect is a white male, 18 to 20 years old, with a slight build and long black...
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt
in Parade Mass Shooting
Jul 4, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Witnesses describe terror, chaos at Highland Park Fourth of July parade
This story has been updated with new developments
. Police in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park say at least six people were killed and 24 injured in a mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade Monday morning. Witnesses said hundreds of people fled in panic when shooting erupted 10...
Illinois Governor's Race
Shaping Up to Be Historic
Jun 27, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Illinois Governor's Race Shaping Up to Be Historic
Contest with weird dynamics may end up being the most expensive nonpresidential race ever
- The Illinois primary is Tuesday, and the governor's race is generating national attention. When the dust settles, it may end up being the most expensive nonpresidential race in history, reports the
New York Times
. The main reason for that is that three extremely rich people are pouring money into...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.