Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Sentenced for Faking
Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Nov 29, 2022 1:58 PM CST
Man Sentenced for Faking Death to Avoid Sex Charges
Jacob Blair Scott is already serving an 85-year sentence for abusing 14-year-old
- A man has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for faking his own death in Alabama to avoid criminal charges of impregnating a teenage girl in his home state of Mississippi. Jacob Blair Scott was sentenced Monday in Alabama, the AP reports. US District Judge Jeffrey Beaverstock set the...
Wants to Be
Nov 29, 2022 1:23 AM CST
Brett Favre Wants to Be Removed From Welfare Lawsuit
Lawyer says Favre was only included to attract media attention to case
- Retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre is asking to be removed from a lawsuit by the state of Mississippi that seeks to recover millions of dollars in misspent welfare money that was intended to help some of the poorest people in the US. An attorney for Favre filed papers on Monday...
Mississippi Plane Thief
Found Dead in Cell
Nov 16, 2022 4:58 PM CST
Mississippi Plane Thief Found Dead in Cell
Cory Wayne Patterson, 29, was in federal prison awaiting trial
- An airport worker who flew a stolen twin-engine plane erratically over north Mississippi for hours and threatened to crash into a Walmart store has died in federal prison while awaiting trial, authorities said Wednesday. The US Bureau of Prisons said in a statement that Cory Wayne Patterson, 29, was found...
Oct 22, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
City Unveils Emmett Till Statue
Applause, tears greet tribute to 1955 Mississippi lynching victim
- Hundreds of people applauded—and some wiped away tears—as a Mississippi community unveiled a larger-than-life statue of Emmett Till on Friday, not far from where white men kidnapped and killed the Black teenager over accusations he had flirted with a white woman in a country store. "Change has...
With 'Scream' Mask
Oct 21, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Daycare Workers Charged After Terrifying Toddlers With 'Scream' Mask
4 were hit with felony child abuse charges, one with misdemeanors
- Five daycare workers have been charged for their alleged involvement in a disturbing video in which one of them wears a "Scream" mask and terrifies the toddlers in their care. Sierra McCandless, Oci-Anna Kilburn, Jennifer Newman, and Shyenne Shelton were each hit with three counts of felony child abuse;...
Blames 'Unjust' Media
Oct 12, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Brett Favre Denies Wrongdoing, Blames 'Unjust' Media
But media outlets are pushing back on his claims
- Brett Favre has been silent for months on the subject of the Mississippi welfare fraud scandal swirling around him, but no longer: The NFL Hall of Fame quarterback released a lengthy statement to Fox News Digital in which he denies any wrongdoing. Favre insists he had no idea the money...
Texts Show More
Sep 26, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Texts Show More Alleged Bad Behavior From Brett Favre
After volleyball arena, ex-quarterback allegedly tried to get more cash for football facility
- After Mississippi spent millions of dollars in welfare money on Brett Favre’s pet project, a volleyball arena at his alma mater where his daughter was playing, the retired NFL quarterback tried two years later to get additional cash from the state’s welfare agency for another sports facility, new...
Radio Station's Move
Is Bad News for Favre
Sep 25, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
Milwaukee station puts his appearances on hold as scandal over Mississippi funds unfolds
- Brett Favre is embroiled in a growing scandal involving the misuse of welfare funds in his native Mississippi, and it appears to be taking a tangible toll on his reputation. Front Office Sports reports that a radio station in Milwaukee has taken him off the air, at least temporarily. Good...
Mississippi Man Charged With
Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Sep 24, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Mississippi Man Charged With Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Feds say Axel Cox was trying to intimidate his Black neighbors
- A Mississippi man has been charged with a federal hate crime for burning a cross in his front yard to threaten his Black neighbors, the US Justice Department announced Friday. Axel Cox, 23, has been charged with one count of criminal interference with the right to fair housing and one...
About Capital City
Does Not Land Well
Sep 19, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Governor's Joke About Capital City Does Not Land Well
Mississippi's Tate Reeves says it's 'a great day to not be in Jackson,' which has had water trouble
- The governor of Mississippi has raised eyebrows with a jab at the capital city of Jackson, which has recently endured serious drinking-water problems . Speaking at a function in the city of Hattiesburg, Tate Reeves told the crowd it was great to be in the city. "It's also, as...
Favre Biographer: Don't Read
My Book, 'He's a Bad Guy'
Sep 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Favre Biographer: Don't Read My Book, 'He's a Bad Guy'
Remarks came after texts emerged showing ex-QB knew more on illegal welfare payments than claimed
- "I love Mississippi and I would never knowingly do anything to take away from those that need it most." That was a May 2020 tweet from former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre. He was responding to accusations that he'd illegally received welfare funds from his home...
Pilot Who Threatened
to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Sep 3, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Pilot Who Threatened to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Mississippi officials report no injuries and say suspect is in custody
This file has been updated with the plane landing.
A small airplane that circled over a Mississippi city for hours on Saturday morning while the pilot threatened to crash the aircraft into a Walmart store has landed safely in a field, the FAA reported. Gov. Tate Reeves tweeted that...
Capital of Mississippi Has
Little or No Running Water
Aug 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Capital of Mississippi Has Little or No Running Water
This week's flooding made long-standing problems worse in Jackson
- For the 150,000 or so residents of Jackson, Miss., the water situation is a mess. The capital city's main treatment plant was on the brink of collapse, with most households having little or no water pressure. And if residents are lucky enough to have a trickle from their...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Jul 24, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
Police Chief in Mississippi Fired After Leaked Audio
He bragged about killing 13 people on duty, used racist, homophobic slurs
- The police chief of a small city in Mississippi is out of a job after an audio recording leaked in which he boasted of killing 13 people on the job and used racist and homophobic slurs, reports
. The board of aldermen in Lexington voted...
Abortion Clinic at Center
of SCOTUS Decision
Ends Court Challenge
Jul 20, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Abortion Clinic at Center of SCOTUS Decision Ends Court Challenge
Mississippi clinic is moving to New Mexico
- The Mississippi abortion clinic that was at the center of the US Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade ended a lawsuit Tuesday in which it had sought to block the state from enforcing a law that bans most abortions, the AP reports. Jackson Women's Health Organization dropped...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
This Teen Saw a Car Go Into
the River. He Didn't Hesitate
Jul 9, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
This Teen Saw a Car Go Into the River. He Didn't Hesitate
Corion Evans, 16, saves 3 young women, police officer from drowning in Mississippi
- When Corion Evans saw three people at a party, the 16-year-old never imagined he would save their lives a few hours later. But that's what happened early Sunday when a car drove off a boat launch into a river in southern Mississippi. The high school student jumped into the...
State's Only Abortion Clinic
Shuts Down Permanently
Jul 7, 2022 6:28 AM CDT
State's Only Abortion Clinic Shuts Down Permanently
Jackson Women's Health Organization was at center of SCOTUS case
- The Mississippi abortion clinic at the heart of the recent Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade is closing its doors for good. Wednesday was the last day that the Jackson Women's Health Organization, known as the Pink House, was allowed to legally perform abortions in the state,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.