Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The House Elects a
New Generation of Leaders
Nov 30, 2022 10:51 AM CST
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries becomes minority leader, but Rep. James Clyburn stays in the game
- Rep. Hakeem Jeffries made history on Wednesday: With his election as House minority leader, the 52-year-old Democrat became the first Black lawmaker to head a political party in Congress, per the AP .
points out it's not the only first, flagging the fact that the "top ranks of...
Biden Asks Congress
to Block Rail Shutdown
Nov 28, 2022 7:40 PM CST
Biden Asks Congress to Block Rail Shutdown
Pelosi agrees to have House take up legislation this week
- President Biden urged Congress on Monday evening to immediately approve legislation that would head off a railroad shutdown by forcing workers and companies to enact the tentative agreement they reached in September. Without final approval of the deal, a shutdown could begin Dec. 9, per Axios . "As a proud...
Woman Accused of
Stealing Pelosi's Laptop
Convicted on 6 Counts
Nov 22, 2022 1:55 AM CST
Woman Accused of Stealing Pelosi's Laptop Convicted on 6 Counts
Though not, however, the one involving the laptop
- A Pennsylvania woman linked to the far-right “Groyper” movement was convicted Monday of several federal charges after prosecutors said she was part of a group that stormed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. Riley June Williams...
What We Know About
Pelosi's Expected Successor
Nov 18, 2022 9:40 AM CST
What We Know About Pelosi's Expected Successor
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York is a self-described Black progressive
- As Nancy Pelosi steps down from her leadership post among House Democrats, she promises not to be a meddling "mother-in-law in the kitchen" as a new generation takes over, per the Daily Beast . And while her successor as party leader in the chamber has not been officially chosen, pretty...
Nancy Pelosi Giving Up
Party Leadership Post
Nov 17, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Nancy Pelosi Giving Up Party Leadership Post
But she is not retiring from Congress
- Nancy Pelosi won't be House speaker next year , but she's not retiring from Congress, either. In a speech Thursday to the House, Pelosi told her fellow lawmakers that she would continue to represent her San Francisco constituents but would not seek re-election to a leadership position in the...
When Told to
Nov 10, 2022 6:57 AM CST
Pelosi Suspect When Told to Drop Hammer: 'Ummm Nope'
Charging document details what happened between Paul Pelosi, suspect in Oct. 28 break-in
- David DePape, the suspect in the attack last month on Paul Pelosi , was indicted Wednesday on charges of assault and attempted kidnapping. Politico notes these charges handed down by a federal grand jury supplant similar ones filed in an earlier complaint . The six-page document details how the San Francisco Police...
Youngkin Sends Nancy Pelosi
'Personal Note' of Apology
Nov 10, 2022 5:02 AM CST
Youngkin Sends Nancy Pelosi 'Personal Note' of Apology
Governor told rally that GOP voters were sending her to be with husband after attack
- Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin says he has sent House Speaker Nancy Pelosi a personal note to apologize for remarks he made about the Oct. 28 attack on her husband. "There’s no room for violence anywhere, but we’re going to send her back to be with him in...
'I Never Thought
It Would Be Paul,'
Nov 7, 2022 7:25 PM CST
'I Never Thought It Would Be Paul,' Pelosi Says
Speaker says attack will affect her decision on whether to retire
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Monday that the attack on her husband will influence her decision on whether to retire from office if Republicans win control of the House from Democrats in Tuesday's midterm elections. Pelosi made the comment in an interview with CNN scheduled to be shown Monday...
Pelosi Speaks on Husband's
Nov 5, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Pelosi Speaks on Husband's Attack, Midterms
House speaker says Paul Pelosi is home after 'tragic' assault in their San Francisco home
- A week after her husband was brutally attacked in their San Francisco home, Nancy Pelosi emerged to make her first public comments. "It's with a grateful heart that I thank you for being here," Pelosi said in a video she posted to her Twitter and YouTube accounts...
Alleged Pelosi Attacker
May Be Deported
Nov 4, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Alleged Pelosi Attacker May Be Deported
Canadian David DePape was in US illegally after traveling legally here in 2008
- The man suspected of attacking Paul Pelosi , the 82-year-old husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last Friday isn't in the United States legally, though he came here legally nearly 15 years ago. That's per Department of Homeland Security officials, who said Thursday that 42-year-old Canadian David DePape entered...
Paul Pelosi After Attack
Nov 3, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Hospital Releases Paul Pelosi After Attack
House speaker's husband goes to San Francisco home to recover
- Paul Pelosi was released from a hospital Thursday and is recovering at his San Francisco home from a violent attack by an intruder last week. The husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suffered a fractured skull in the attack, as well as injuries to his right arm and hands. He...
Attacker Said He
Nov 2, 2022 12:26 AM CDT
Alleged Pelosi Attacker Said He Had Other Targets: Cops
Meanwhile, sources say US Capitol Police caught break-in on surveillance feeds
- The moment David DePape allegedly used a hammer to break a glass panel and enter the San Francisco home of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was caught on surveillance video as part of the security the US Capitol Police installed around Pelosi's home—but no one was watching...
Pelosi Attack Suspect
Pleads Not Guilty
Nov 1, 2022 4:59 PM CDT
Pelosi Attack Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
David DePape is being held without bail
- A San Francisco judge on Tuesday ordered the man accused of breaking into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s home, attacking her husband with a hammer, and seeking to kidnap her, to be held without bail. Adam Lipson, a lawyer for defendant David DePape, entered a not guilty plea on DePape'...
Feds Say Attacker Planned to
Break Nancy Pelosi's Kneecaps
Oct 31, 2022 4:37 PM CDT
Feds Say Attacker Planned to Break Nancy Pelosi's Kneecaps
David DePape wanted to interrogate speaker about 'lies,' prosecutors say
- The man accused of breaking into the San Francisco home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband early Friday has been hit with federal charges including assault of an immediate family member of a US official with the intent to retaliate against the official on account of the performance...
Nancy Pelosi Speaks Out
on Her Husband's Assault
Oct 31, 2022 6:56 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi Speaks Out on Her Husband's Assault
Meanwhile, sources say alleged attacker had zip ties with him
- The man accused of attacking Paul Pelosi had duct tape and a bag of zip ties with him, according to multiple sources who spoke to CNN . Sources also tell the network that suspect David DePape, 42, was the one who purchased the hammer with which Pelosi was assaulted . According to...
Pelosi Attack Suspect's Blog
Had Gory Images, Talk of Fairy
Oct 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Pelosi Attack Suspect's Blog Had Gory Images, Talk of Fairy
Blog attacked Democrats but said nothing about the House speaker
- In blog posts by the man held in the assault on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband shortly before the attack, David DePape shared gory images of headless bodies, rants about Jewish and Black people, and accounts of an invisible fairy that sometimes appeared to him. The posts included attacks...
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi
Has Been Years in the Making
Oct 29, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi Has Been Years in the Making
House speaker is a regular recipient of Republican rage in ads and on Capitol Hill
- Before the 2010 election marked by the tea party's ascent, the Republican National Committee reworked its website, changing the display to a "Fire Pelosi" theme that depicted the speaker of the House engulfed in flames. Such attacks have been regular parts of GOP campaigns ever since, before the...
Attempted Murder Charges
in Pelosi Home Attack
Oct 28, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Attempted Murder Charges in Pelosi Home Attack
Police say intruder assaulted House speaker's husband with a hammer
- New details emerging in the assault on Nancy Pelosi's husband suggest the attacker went to their home looking for the House speaker. The intruder who broke into the couple's San Francisco residence overnight Thursday was shouting, "Where is Nancy?" according to multiple reports, including at the
Nancy Pelosi's Husband
Attacked at Home, Hospitalized
Oct 28, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Attacked at Home, Hospitalized
Assailant who broke in and assaulted Paul Pelosi is in custody, says office of House speaker
(Updated with new information throughout.)
A jarring story out of San Francisco: Nancy Pelosi's office says somebody broke into her home overnight and "violently" assaulted her husband, Paul, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. The House speaker herself, who has been on the road stumping for Democrats, was...
Pelosi in New
Jan. 6 Footage:
Punch Him Out'
Oct 14, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Pelosi in New Jan. 6 Footage: 'I'm Gonna Punch Him Out'
Never-before-seen video shot during riot shows House Speaker Pelosi's shock, anger at Trump
- The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the US Capitol held its final public hearing before the midterms on Thursday, in which it resumed making its case against Donald Trump and even voted unanimously at the end of the hearing to subpoena the former president to testify....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Recent Storms Leave Mystery Debris Protruding from Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.