Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Drug Enforcement Administration
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gets Him 27
Oct 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Inmate's 'Relentless' Meth Operation Gets Him 27 More Years
Mexican gang member David 'Toro' Zavala is busted for running drug distribution from prison
- A Mexican gang member already serving time in Georgia just got hit with a lot more time for distributing methamphetamine from behind bars. The
reports that 30-year-old David "Toro" Zavala, who federal agents say is a known member of the Surenos 13 gang, received his additional prison...
Health Dept. on Marijuana: It
Shouldn't Be a Schedule I Drug
Aug 31, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Health Dept. on Marijuana: It Shouldn't Be a Schedule I Drug
Recommendation has been passed to the Drug Enforcement Administration
- The US Department of Health and Human Services has delivered a recommendation to the Drug Enforcement Administration on marijuana policy, and Senate leaders hailed it Wednesday as a first step toward easing federal restrictions on the drug. HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra said Wednesday on X that the agency has responded...
US Bolsters Post on Fentanyl in
Pharmacy Pills Sold in Mexico
Mar 18, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
US Bolsters Post on Fentanyl in Pharmacy Pills Sold in Mexico
Victim's family has tried to get agencies to act since overdose in 2019
- The State Department has strengthened its cautioning about pharmacies in Mexico selling counterfeit pills laced with fentanyl, warning that the doses can be fatal. The alert was posted Friday, per the AP , mentioning stores for the first time. "Counterfeit pills are readily advertised on social media and can be...
Over Ties to
Jan 28, 2023 1:15 PM CST
DEA Ousted Mexico Chief Over Ties to Drug Lawyers
Nicholas Palmeri tried to expense his own birthday party
- The Drug Enforcement Administration quietly removed its top official in Mexico last year over improper contact with lawyers for narcotraffickers, an embarrassing end to a brief tenure marked by deteriorating cooperation between the countries and a record flow of cocaine, heroin, and fentanyl across the border. Nicholas Palmeri's socializing...
DEA's Most Corrupt
Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Nov 27, 2022 4:40 PM CST
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Jose Irizarry on how he turned the 'unwinnable' drug war into 'a very fun game'
- José Irizarry accepts that he's known as the most corrupt agent in Drug Enforcement Administration history, admitting he "became another man" in conspiring with Colombian cartels to build a lavish lifestyle of expensive sports cars, Tiffany jewels, and paramours around the world. But as he used his final...
Suspect Got Away After
Huge Fentanyl Seizure
Oct 4, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Suspect Got Away After Huge Fentanyl Seizure
He promised to lead DEA agents to drug kingpins but removed tracking device
- In July, Drug Enforcement Administration agents in Colorado boasted about seizing 114 pounds of pure fentanyl in the biggest-ever seizure of the deadly synthetic opioid on a US highway—but they were quieter about what happened to the alleged drug mule. The suspect, 27-year-old David Maldonado, agreed to cooperate with...
She Thought She
Was Training to Be
DEA Agent. Cops Say
It Was All a Dupe
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 12, 2022 4:30 PM CST
She Thought She Was Training to Be DEA Agent. Cops Say It Was All a Dupe
Man now facing federal charges for impersonating narcotics agent
- An Oregon woman trained to be a DEA agent for a year ... with a man who, police say, was an impostor. His strange alleged scheme unraveled last week when a sergeant with the Portland Police Bureau saw the man and woman standing near a silver Dodge Charger with red and...
Before DEA Agent
Was Killed on Train
Oct 6, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Drugs Found Before DEA Agent Was Killed on Train
Gunman also was killed in the gunfire, Tucson police say
In advance of the deadly shooting Monday on an Amtrak train in Arizona, DEA agents searched bags associated with one passenger and found 2.39 kilograms of marijuana, 50 packages of marijuana edibles and "other marijuana and cannabis products," per the court documents. CNN reports they allegedly...
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath
of Haiti Assassination
Jul 13, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath of Haiti Assassination
CNN has a special report on the hunt for the suspected killers
- As a five-car convoy left the palace of Haiti President Jovenel Moise in the early hours of Wednesday, its inhabitants perhaps thought they'd gotten away with murder. But just down the road, they came up against a blockade, which forced them to flee on foot, leaving behind guns and...
Ex-Mexico Army Chief
Arrested in Los Angeles
Oct 16, 2020 2:30 AM CDT
Ex-Mexico Army Chief Arrested in Los Angeles
General is accused of drug trafficking, money laundering
- Former Mexican defense secretary Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos, who led the country’s army for six years under ex-President Enrique Peña Nieto, has been arrested on drug trafficking and money laundering charges at Los Angeles International Airport, US and Mexican sources told the AP Thursday. Two people with knowledge of...
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts
in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Feb 22, 2020 11:30 AM CST
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday
- A once-standout US federal narcotics agent known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry has been arrested on charges of conspiring to launder money with the same Colombian drug cartel he was supposed to be fighting, the AP reports. Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday at...
Guy Who Spent $540
on Girl Scout Cookies
Arrested by DEA
Feb 27, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Guy Who Spent $540 on Girl Scout Cookies Arrested by DEA
SC man had been under surveillance for months
- So much for
feel-good story: The Drug Enforcement Administration says it has arrested Detric Lee McGowan, the South Carolina man who spent $540 on cookies to get a group of Girl Scouts out of the cold. Investigators say the 46-year-old could afford to be generous: He was allegedly involved...
2 Dead After
Nov 30, 2018 12:07 AM CST
2 Dead After Warehouse Drug Sting
One Houston suspect fled, hid in a quarry
- It was a scene that could have been taken from countless TV dramas: Nine armed gang members arrived for a drug deal at a warehouse Wednesday night, only to discover they had been set up by undercover officers in a sting operation. Police in Houston say two of the suspects...
OD Deaths in US Last Year
Nov 2, 2018 4:47 PM CDT
Record-Breaking Drug OD Deaths in US Last Year
200 people died per day in US in 2017, per the DEA
- Drug overdose deaths hit the highest level ever recorded in the US last year, with an estimated 200 people dying per day, according to a report by the DEA. Most of that was the result of a record number of opioid-related deaths. Preliminary figures show more than 72,000 people...
White House: Death Penalty
Will Be Part of Opioid Response
Mar 19, 2018 5:10 AM CDT
White House: Death Penalty Will Be Part of Opioid Response
But trafficking in fentanyl won't be a capital crime
- The White House has rolled out the "more nuanced" response to the opioid crisis it promised after President Trump talked about executing drug dealers earlier this month. The revised plan White House officials discussed Sunday still involves the death penalty, but officials say they don't plan to make...
DEA Head Said to
Sep 26, 2017 6:37 PM CDT
DEA Head Said to Be Dissatisfied With Trump, Is Resigning
Chuck Rosenberg is leaving Oct. 1
- The acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration is resigning—apparently over dissatisfaction with President Trump. Law enforcement officials tell the
New York Times
that Chuck Rosenberg has come to believe Trump lacks proper respect for the law. Rosenberg, a former prosecutor, is one of many career law-enforcement officials said...
DEA Takes Billions From
People It Never Charged
Mar 30, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
DEA Takes Billions From People It Never Charged
A new report finds problems with civil asset forfeiture
- Since 2007, the DEA has seized a total of $3.2 billion in cash from people suspected of being involved in the drug trade but never charged with a crime, the
reports. That statistic comes from a Department of Justice watchdog's report released Wednesday. According to the...
of Why the
Feds Spell Pot
Dec 20, 2016 6:25 PM CST
The History of Why the Feds Spell Pot 'Marihuana'
Plant formerly known as cannabis got a new name thanks to Spanish-American War
wades through the weeds to get the linguistic scoop on weed—specifically, why an "archaic" spelling of marijuana is still in use. A
post last week announcing that CBD hemp oil is now considered a Schedule 1 drug offered a new code for "...
Now a Schedule 1
Drug: CBD Hemp Oil
Dec 19, 2016 8:15 AM CST
Now a Schedule 1 Drug: CBD Hemp Oil
New DEA regulation may affect those who use it to treat seizures, other medical issues
- A cannabidiol hemp oil that Leafly says is used by "hundreds of thousands of patients" in the US for a variety of medical purposes, including to help relieve seizures, has been designated a Schedule 1 drug by the DEA, 7NEWS reports. Schedule 1 drugs (which are illegal and include...
Drug Bust Like 'Something
Out of Science Fiction Movie'
Nov 23, 2016 9:07 AM CST
Drug Bust Like 'Something Out of Science Fiction Movie'
'It would be very safe to say people have died from this operation'
- Officials are calling it the largest seizure of pills and one of the largest drug busts in Utah history. DEA agents raided a home in Cottonwood Heights on Tuesday and found an "absolutely catastrophic" drug operation. In addition to almost $1 million in cash and what DEA Agent Brian...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.