Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
America's Tallest Cities
Sep 3, 2023 9:36 AM CDT
America's Tallest Cities
The No. 1 probably isn't a shocker
- Monday might be a national holiday, but Sunday apparently marks the much lesser-known Skyscraper Day. As such, RoofGnome has compiled a list of US cities that those who love dizzying heights will want to put on their bucket lists, and those who find dizzying heights just dizzying (or terrifying) might...
Climber Got to 72nd Floor
Before He Was Arrested
Jun 12, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Climber Got to 72nd Floor Before He Was Arrested
South Korean authorities arrested British man halfway up world's 5th-tallest building
- A British man was detained after climbing more than halfway up the world’s fifth-tallest skyscraper with only his bare hands on Monday, authorities in Seoul say. More than 90 police and other emergency personnel were dispatched to the 123-story, 1,820-foot-tall Lotte World Tower after the man was spotted...
Trump Wins Big Tax Case
Over His Chicago Skyscraper
Apr 26, 2023 11:29 AM CDT
Trump Wins Big Tax Case Over His Chicago Skyscraper
After years of legal wrangling, former president, investors to recoup $1M in property tax refunds
- For more than a decade, former President Trump and other owners of the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago have sought to recoup a hefty property tax refund on the building. Now, it looks like Trump can claim success in this longtime battle: On Monday, the Illinois Appellate Court...
Here Are the 20 Most
Beautiful Skylines in America
Nov 27, 2022 6:42 AM CST
Here Are the 20 Most Beautiful Skylines in America
Thrillist offers its take on the nation's skyscraper-dotted scenes
- Whether you're gazing upon famous landmarks like the Empire State Building and St. Louis' Gateway Arch, or a Minneapolis scene straight out of
, America's skylines offer eye candy that are a testament to the architects and builders who've erected our nation's most notable buildings. Thrillist...
Manhattan Boasts World's
Aug 18, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
Manhattan Boasts World's Skinniest Skyscraper
The upper floors of Steinway Tower sway a few feet when it's windy
- One skyscraper stands out from the rest in the Manhattan skyline. It's not the tallest, but it is the skinniest—the world's skinniest, in fact. The recently completed 84-story residential Steinway Tower, designed by New York architecture firm SHoP Architects, has the title of "most slender skyscraper...
Planned Fix for Sinking
Tower Hits Big Snag
in case you missed it
May 22, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Roadblock to $100M effort to reverse tilt of San Francisco's Millennium Tower: underground wall
- San Francisco has been struggling for years with its Millennium Tower , an architectural fiasco that has seen the building slowly leaning and sinking into the ground below it. Now, the expensive plan to fix it may be in jeopardy, with reports that an underground shoring wall is now a wrench...
World's Skinniest Skyscraper
Now Towers Over Manhattan
Apr 6, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
World's Skinniest Skyscraper Now Towers Over Manhattan
The Steinway Tower is completed, stands at 1,427 feet
- Construction is now complete on New York City's Steinway Tower, which might be a ho-hum update save for one detail: It's the skinniest skyscraper in the world, with a height-to-width ratio of 24:1. (The next closest looks to have a ratio of 20:1 .) The tower...
Now Tilting 26 Inches
Jan 14, 2022 10:05 AM CST
San Francisco's Millennium Tower Now Tilting 26 Inches
City is still trying to settle on the best fix
San Francisco's Millennium Tower is now 26 inches off center, with 10 inches of that tilt occurring last year while work on a supposed fix was underway, according to the project's chief engineer. A retrofit was halted in the summer after the building sank further into soft...
in Small Cities
Oct 28, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
China Bans Super-Tall Buildings in Small Cities
Country is cracking down on 'vanity projects'
- China is cracking down on skyscrapers—especially tall ones in small cities. As part of a wider bid to restrict what authorities call "vanity projects" and "ugly architecture," authorities have said cities with populations below 3 million will not be allowed to build high-rises taller than 492...
A Lawsuit at
One of World's
Sep 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
A Lawsuit at One of World's 'Wealthiest Addresses'
432 Park Avenue residents describe floods, elevator breakdowns, excessive noise
Residents of one of the most expensive addresses in the world are suing the developers for $250 million. The complaint filed Thursday by the condo board at 432 Park Avenue in New York City claims the funds are needed to repair some 1,500 construction and design defects in...
Rail Lines, Winds Blamed
for Skyscraper Wobble
May 20, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Rail Lines, Winds Blamed for Skyscraper Wobble
US consulate warns citizens to stay away from Shenzhen's SEG Plaza
- Officials in Shenzhen say they haven't detected anything particularly unusual about the 71-story SEG Plaza skyscraper—apart from the fact that it started shaking Tuesday afternoon, causing panic in the south China city. Local authorities say the shaking was apparently caused by a combination of winds, two underground rail...
May 18, 2021 4:12 PM CDT
Thousands Flee Shaking Skyscraper
There was no earthquake recorded in southern Chinese city at the time
- There were scenes of panic in Shenzhen, southern China Tuesday afternoon as one of the city's tallest skyscrapers started shaking. Thousands of workers and shoppers ran to safety as the 71-story SEG Plaza wobbled, the BBC reports. Authorities say the 21-year-old building was safely evacuated, along with some neighboring...
in 'Triple Trouble'
After Latest Stunt
Oct 1, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
'French Spiderman' in 'Triple Trouble' After Latest Stunt
Alain Robert climbed a 545-foot-high skyscraper in Frankfurt, Germany, wearing cowboy boots
- German police say urban climber Alain Robert faces a criminal investigation and fine after scaling one of Frankfurt's tallest buildings on Thursday. Robert, known as the "French Spiderman" for his daring stunts, clambered to the top of rail company Deutsche Bahn's 545-foot-high office building in Germany's...
Tiny Town OKs
'Eye of Sauron'
in case you missed it
Apr 20, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Tiny Town OKs 'Eye of Sauron' Skyscraper
The Danish town of Brande is looking up
- The tallest building in Western Europe is currently London's Shard—but that won't last if a tiny Danish town gets its way, the Smithsonian reports. Brande, population 7,000, has approved a 1,049-foot building for 30 retail stores, educational spaces, hotel rooms, and offices for a clothing...
Jan 29, 2019 11:30 AM CST
'French Spiderman' Strikes Again
Alain Robert arrested at GT International Tower in Philippines
- "French Spiderman" Alain Robert was rather nonchalant about his arrest Tuesday for scaling a 710-foot-tall skyscraper in the Philippines. "There isn't any scandal ... Hopefully everything should be OK by tomorrow," the 56-year-old told CNN , noting he was "entertaining people for free" for 1.5 hours....
Elevator Drops 84 Floors,
Causing Hours-Long Rescue
Nov 20, 2018 1:03 AM CST
Elevator Drops 84 Floors, Causing Hours-Long Rescue
The passengers were pulled through a wall
- The unthinkable happened for six visitors to Chicago's fourth tallest skyscraper when a cable snapped, dropping them dozens of stories before becoming trapped in an elevator for nearly three hours. Per the
, the nightmare unfolded at the skyscraper once known as the Hancock Center on Friday when...
Raccoon That 'United America'
Has Been Rescued
Jun 13, 2018 8:47 AM CDT
Raccoon That 'United America' Has Been Rescued
Critter that scampered up a St. Paul skyscraper is said to have been caught in a live trap
- The skyscraper-ascending raccoon of Minnesota has reportedly been rescued. NPR reports the determined climber, which had been trapped at various spots on the UBS building in St. Paul for two days, is said to finally have been trapped by building management, per a law firm on the 23rd floor of...
Legendary Climber Stopped
Halfway Up Skyscraper
Jun 7, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Legendary Climber Stopped Halfway Up Skyscraper
Alain Robert was trying to scale world's 5th-tallest building in Seoul
- A climber renowned for scaling skyscrapers instead of mountains got busted about halfway up the world's fifth-tallest building on Wednesday. Alain Robert, a 55-year-old known as the "French Spider-Man," had been trying to climb the 123-story Lotte World Tower in Seoul with his bare hands—and no...
New LA Skyscraper Soars
Past Record in West
Jun 24, 2017 6:49 AM CDT
New LA Skyscraper Soars Past Record in West
The 73-story Wilshire Grand Center opened its doors Friday
- The tallest building west of the Mississippi River opened its doors on Friday in once-stodgy downtown Los Angeles, which is sprouting a crop of new skyscrapers. The 73-story Wilshire Grand Center has a huge spire that brings its height to 1,100 feet, topping the nearby US Bank Tower by...
All-Wood High Rise
Jun 7, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
Oregon Approves Nation's First All-Wood High Rise
Portland building will use new technique
- Officials in Oregon have approved construction permits for the first all-wood high-rise building in the nation. Construction on the 12-story building, called Framework, will break ground this fall in Portland's trendy and rapidly growing Pearl District and is expected to be completed by the following winter. The decision by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.