Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
May Have Started
on Sect's Land
Jan 5, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Colorado Fire May Have Started on Sect's Land
Witnesses saw something burning on property of Twelve Tribes
- Moments before a wildfire raged through Colorado suburbs last week, a structure was spotted burning on land owned by a Christian fundamentalist sect. Investigators working to determine the cause of the fire are now focusing on that property, the
New York Times
reports. Witnesses have reported seeing a structure burning,...
Count 2 People
Missing After Fire
Jan 1, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Officials Now Count 2 People Missing After Fire
Family says 91-year-old woman couldn't escape her burning home
- After wildfires races through two Colorado towns on Thursday, local officials said no one was killed, which the sheriff said would be "our very own New Year’s miracle." Now they're worried that the announcement was premature, the
reports. Local officials had been working through...
Assess Fire Loss
Dec 31, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Coloradoans Assess Fire Loss
One woman finds just the mailbox still standing
- Forrest Smith fled his home in Louisville, Colorado, with only a coffee cup, a water cup, and his cellphone. In the rush, as hot ashes burned him while he started his car, he'd even left behind his wallet,
reports. "For some reason, I'm thinking in...
'This Is the Kind of Fire
We Can't Fight Head On'
Dec 31, 2021 1:14 AM CST
'This Is the Kind of Fire We Can't Fight Head On'
Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated northwest of Denver
- An estimated 580 homes, a hotel, and a shopping center have burned and tens of thousands of people were evacuated in wind-fueled wildfires outside Denver, officials said Thursday evening. Just a few injuries have been reported so far, but authorities didn’t rule out finding out later about more severe...
'I Think We're Making History,'
Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
'I Think We're Making History,' Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Marc Olson died Tuesday during pioneer mission to battle Colorado wildfire at night
- A pilot who'd flown for 42 years—32 of those spent in the Army and Air Force— died Tuesday during a pioneering effort to fight a Colorado wildfire at night. Marc Thor Olson of CO Fire Aviation successfully completed a water drop over the Kruger Rock Fire in Larimer...
Note From Colo. Firefighters
Made a Grown Man Weep
Oct 28, 2020 1:44 PM CDT
Note From Colo. Firefighters Made a Grown Man Weep
Dan Stones will be forever grateful to 'Engine 1446'
- Dan Stones was prepared to see ashes when he arrived at his family cabin near Granby, Colorado, where the second largest wildfire in state history is raging. The East Troublesome Fire had been burning within 30 miles of the cabin, which Stones tweeted was located "inside the burn line....
Colorado to Get a Very
Colorado Break on Wildfires
Oct 25, 2020 8:14 AM CDT
Colorado to Get a Very Colorado Break on Wildfires
Snowfall to help crews, but dry conditions will be back
- Dry, windy conditions have made it tough for crews to contain the two largest wildfires in Colorado history. Officials are counting on help from above: a quick snowfall. "We're going from critical fire danger ending at 7pm to a midnight winter storm watch," said a National Weather...
Danish Man Arrested
as Colorado Wildfire
Destroys 100 Homes
Jul 3, 2018 12:24 AM CDT
Danish Man Arrested as Colorado Wildfire Destroys 100 Homes
Authorities say he was in the country illegally
- More than 100 homes have been destroyed by a Colorado wildfire that investigators say was started by an illegal campfire. San Luis Valley Emergency tweeted Monday night that 104 homes have been destroyed so far by the wildfire east of Fort Garland. The blaze has burned 89 square miles and...
Jul 11, 2016 7:30 AM CDT
Alabama Campers Arrested Over Colorado Wildfire
More than 600 acres have been scorched, 2K people evacuated
- More than 50 Colorado National Guardsmen are helping hundreds of firefighters battle a blaze that the Boulder County Sheriff's Office says was started by two careless campers from Alabama,
and the AP report. Jimmy Suggs, 28, and Zackary Kuykendall, 26, of Vinemont were arrested Sunday and charged...
Colorado Fire May
Wipe Out Tourist Town
Jun 21, 2013 2:35 PM CDT
Colorado Fire May Wipe Out Tourist Town
South Fork evacuated, was used in 'Vacation' movie
- The mountain resort of South Fork, Colorado, is a ghost town today as a massive wildfire approaches. (If you've seen the Chevy Chase movie
, you've seen the place: The Griswolds picnicked there, notes AP .) The town has 400 full-time residents, all of whom had evacuated by...
Colorado Fire Sets
Jun 14, 2013 5:36 AM CDT
Colorado Fire Sets Destruction Record
Death toll now at 2
- The Black Forest Fire, near Colorado Springs, has claimed 360 homes, a record for the state, the
notes in its live blog. Meanwhile, 15,700 acres have burned and the fire is just 5% contained—and the death toll now stands at two. Some 38,000 have evacuated,...
Colo. Fire Forces
Jun 12, 2013 10:09 AM CDT
Colo. Fire Forces Evacuation of 900 Prisoners
4 blazes have destroyed dozens of homes
- Wildfires are raging in Colorado, and one of them caused more than 900 prisoners to be evacuated from a state prison early today. The medium- and low-risk prisoners were taken by bus to other prisons, a spokesperson tells the AP . The fire hasn't actually reached the Colorado Territorial Correctional...
Heed These Wildfires,
Climate Change Skeptics
Jul 6, 2012 11:20 AM CDT
Heed These Wildfires, Climate Change Skeptics
Things are only going to get worse unless we change ways: Essayist
- Political scientist Mark Lubell has been trying to convince his nuclear engineer dad of the dangers of global warming for years now, and he just got a big helper in the form of Colorado's Waldo Canyon wildfire. Lubell's parents were among those who had to evacuate, he writes...
Air Tanker Crashes
While Fighting Wildfire
Jul 2, 2012 8:41 AM CDT
Air Tanker Crashes While Fighting Wildfire
No word yet on crew's status in South Dakota crash
- At least one major blaze is finally coming under control, but wildfires aren't done wreaking havoc across the West : In South Dakota yesterday, a military air tanker crashed while fighting the White Draw Fire, which has burned through 4,200 acres since Friday and is 30% contained, CNN reports....
Obama Tours Colorado
Jun 29, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
Obama Tours Colorado Wildfire Damage
He tours Colorado Springs neighborhood
- President Obama toured some of the areas devastated by Colorado's wildfires today, issuing a declaration that frees up federal funds for the state. He also thanked firefighters and other emergency workers, saying: "The country is grateful for your work. The country's got your back." Firefighters, meanwhile,...
Claims 1st Victim
Jun 29, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
Colorado Wildfire Claims 1st Victim
One other resident of home also missing
- The Waldo Canyon fire blazing through Colorado Springs has claimed its first victim: Human remains were found in one burned home, police announced last night, and a second person living in the home is missing, the
reports. Ten people in all are still unaccounted for. Nearly 350 homes have...
350 Homes Destroyed
in Colorado Wildfire
Jun 28, 2012 6:13 PM CDT
350 Homes Destroyed in Colorado Wildfire
Mayor of Colorado Springs offers initial estimate
- Authorities in Colorado Springs have offered their first assessment of damage from the still-raging Waldo Canyon fire, and it's not a happy one: The mayor says about 350 homes have been destroyed, making it the most destructive fire in state history, reports AP . Other developments:
The fire is about
Jun 27, 2012 11:57 AM CDT
Thousands Must Fight Wildfires Uninsured
...because they're 'temporary workers'
- As if fighting an "epic" and "apocalyptic" wildfire doesn't sound bad enough, try doing it without health insurance. That's actually what an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 federal firefighters do, writes Sarah Kliff for the
. "Of all the jobs where you might...
Tens of Thousands
Flee Colorado Fires
Jun 27, 2012 4:31 AM CDT
Tens of Thousands Flee Colorado Fires
Waldo Canyon fire breaches Colorado Springs fire lines
- At least 32,000 people have been evacuated from the Colorado Springs area as the monster Waldo Springs wildfire continues to burn out of control. Witnesses described "apocalyptic" scenes as the fire, which has breached fire lines and destroyed an unknown number of homes, unleashed waves of flame and...
Destroy 250 Homes,
Jun 25, 2012 2:00 AM CDT
Colorado Wildfires Destroy 250 Homes, Ravage Parkland
Worst fire season in decade
- More than 11,000 Colorado residents—and tourists—have been ordered to evacuate as eight wildfires burn across the state, destroying homes and threatening popular sightseeing spots. Vacation cabins in Estes Park have already been destroyed and the main entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park has been closed. Smoke threatens...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.