Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ordering at Panera?
Put Up Your Palm
Apr 1, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ordering at Panera? Put Up Your Palm
Critics say chain's plan to use biometrics payment system could lead to privacy issues
- Soon, paying at Panera Bread will be as easy as holding up your hand. That's because the bakery-cafe chain will be rolling out a palm-reading payment system over the next few months, expediting transactions but raising concerns among privacy advocates. NPR reports that the biometrics technology it plans on...
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure
Has Freed Him From His Pain
in case you missed it
May 29, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure Has Freed Him From His Pain
Scotland's Steven Gallagher, who suffers from sclerodoma, praises his double hand transplant
- For years, Steven Gallagher has suffered from pain in his arms and hands, not finding relief even after an operation to address what he believed at the time was carpal tunnel syndrome. Turns out the Scotsman actually has an autoimmune disease that scars the skin and his inner organs, and...
Hope on Horizon for Painful,
Incurable Hand Disease
May 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Hope on Horizon for Painful, Incurable Hand Disease
Known drug appears to reverse progress of early-stage Dupuytren's disease
- You probably take for granted the ability to stick your hand in your pocket, use a keyboard, and grip a steering wheel. But all this can be challenging for sufferers of a painful and incurable disease that causes fibrotic scar tissue to develop at the base of the fingers. In...
Man Cut Off Wife's Hands,
and Court Tells Russia to Pay
Dec 15, 2021 11:27 AM CST
Man Cut Off Wife's Hands, and Court Tells Russia to Pay
European Court of Human Rights weighed in on Tuesday
- A woman suffered an unthinkable crime committed by her husband, and now Russia will pay, quite literally. Margarita Gracheva was kidnapped by her then-husband in December 2017; he took her into a forest, struck her at least 40 times with an ax, and cut off her hands, per the CBC...
Why Andrew Cuomo's
Hands Are Causing a Stir
Mar 16, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Why Andrew Cuomo's Hands Are Causing a Stir
One of NY governor's accusers says he often made sexually suggestive remarks about them
- As New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo tried to return to the business of governing Monday, one of his sexual harassment accusers met via Zoom for more than four hours with investigators working for the state attorney general's office. During the interview, Charlotte Bennett revealed new details about Cuomo's...
We Don't Use Our Thumbs
the Way Neanderthals Did
Nov 27, 2020 9:51 AM CST
We Don't Use Our Thumbs the Way Neanderthals Did
Fossils suggest they regularly gripped handled tools
- If you happen to travel back in time and encounter an angry Neanderthal, be sure to request a thumb war, rather than a full-blown one. According to new research, Neanderthals' hands were different than our own, with a thumb that stuck out at a wider angle than what you see...
Woman's Gruesome Scheme
to Collect $1.2M Is a Big Fail
Sep 12, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Woman's Gruesome Scheme to Collect $1.2M Is a Big Fail
Slovenia's Julija Adlesic sentenced to 2 years in prison after cutting off own hand for insurance cash
- A Slovenian woman who'd hoped to collect a $1.2 million insurance payout may want to rethink her methods next time. Sky News and the BBC report that 22-year-old Julija Adlesic was sentenced to two years behind bars after being found guilty by a Ljubljana court of insurance fraud....
Aug 23, 2019 10:22 AM CDT
Star Confesses 20-Year-Old Secret
It was Christina Hendricks' perfectly manicured hand on a famous 'American Beauty' poster
- Christina Hendricks has long been lauded for both her acting skills and her beauty, including her "perfect complexion, shiny red hair, [and] pouty lips," but now there's another body part for which she can claim bragging rights.
reports on a surprise revelation made Thursday by the...
She Doesn't Have Hands, Wins
National Handwriting Award
Apr 24, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
She Doesn't Have Hands, Wins National Handwriting Award
Sara Hinesley, 10, hopes to inspire others
- When 10-year-old Sara Hinesley first discovered cursive writing, "I thought it was easy." That's a testament to her attitude, as not much is easy for Sara—born without hands. "I just try my hardest," says the third-grader at St. John's Regional Catholic School in...
Thousands Trying to Save
Dog That Bit Off Boy's Hand
Mar 6, 2019 9:50 AM CST
Thousands Trying to Save Dog That Bit Off Boy's Hand
Child stuck his arm under fence, husky may have thought it was a game of tug of war
- More than 85,000 people have so far signed a petition to save Polar and Bear—two huskies that are now quarantined in Utah, one of which might be put down after he bit a child's hand off over the weekend. Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook says that...
She Got New Hands.
But at What Cost?
Feb 20, 2019 10:45 AM CST
She Got New Hands. But at What Cost?
Writing for 'Wired,' David Dobbs dives into the world of hand transplants
- After losing your hands, what would you be willing to do to tie your own shoes again, or brush a stray hair off your forehead? Would you risk kidney failure? It's one of the questions underpinning David Dobbs' lengthy piece in
on hand transplants, which are currently straddling...
Man Has Limbs
'Lick of Death'
Aug 1, 2018 7:54 AM CDT
Man Has Limbs Amputated After Getting 'Lick of Death'
Greg Manteufel likely contracted dangerous bacterial infection from a dog
- A Wisconsin man has lost his hands and legs after he likely received "the lick of death" from a dog,
reports. Per a GoFundMe created for Greg Manteufel, the 48-year-old house painter from West Bend started feeling sick on June 27; he and his family initially thought he...
ERs Are Seeing
More and More
May 14, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
ERs Are Seeing More and More 'Avocado Hands'
Home chefs may need some cutting lessons
- Avocados are all the rage. So much so that Huffington Post recently called the opening of New York's first avocado bar "painfully trendy." Turns out avocados are also, quite literally, part of a painful trend. Emergency room doctors are reporting an increase in the number of amateur...
Court Rules Against Man
Who Brandished Finger Gun
Mar 30, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
Court Rules Against Man Who Brandished Finger Gun
Attempted first-degree robbery conviction stands for Charles Smith
- Charles Smith's gun may have been fake, but a New York Court of Appeals ruling against him is very real. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, the court decided Tuesday to retain Smith's conviction of attempted first-degree robbery instead of reducing the charge, even though it was Smith's...
Man Allegedly Cuts Off
Wife's Hands Over Infertility
Aug 16, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
Man Allegedly Cuts Off Wife's Hands Over Infertility
Though a fertility clinic found man was the one with the reproductive issue
- Domestic violence is a troubling issue in Kenya, and Jackline Mwende has recently become the very public face of it. The 27-year-old from Machakos, a village not far from Nairobi, says her husband came at her in a rage on July 23 with a machete and not only slashed her...
Dad Cut Off
Hands of His
Apr 20, 2016 2:48 PM CDT
Dad Cut Off Hands of His Baby's Alleged Rapist: Cops
Indian man on the run after reportedly severing teen's hands, leaving him in ditch
- A young Indian father out for vigilante justice lured the teen accused of raping his baby daughter away from a Punjab state courthouse Tuesday, tied him to a tree, and cut both of the suspect's hands off, cops say, per AFP . The 25-year-old father, IDed as Parminder Singh, is...
Feb 5, 2016 10:18 AM CST
Paintings of Michelangelo Reveal His Malady
Researchers say he had osteoarthritis
- For centuries it has been thought that Michelangelo suffered from gout in later life, which was at the time used as a catch-all phrase to include all forms of arthritis. Researchers are reporting in the
Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine
that the famous artist instead had osteoarthritis. It'...
Inside the Limited
World of Hand Models
Jan 31, 2016 5:00 PM CST
Inside the Limited World of Hand Models
It's lucrative but involves patience and lots of lotion
- Amanda George usually wears gloves and opens car doors with care. She eats with plastic utensils, applies hand lotion and cuticle oil regularly, and avoids bright nail polish that might stain. "I see girls in public with designs, a nice purple," she tells
California Sunday Magazine
This Tiny Bone Reveals a Big Find in Human Evolution
Aug 19, 2015 7:08 AM CDT
This Tiny Bone Reveals a Big Find in Human Evolution
Oldest humanlike hand bone dates back 2M years: study
- Scientists have stumbled upon the oldest known fossil of a hand bone that looks a lot like one found in your own hand, though this one is at least 1.84 million years old. Found in Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania, the hominin bone—likely from the pinky of a left...
Than Us in One
Jul 15, 2015 8:01 AM CDT
Chimps Are More Advanced Than Us in One Specific Way
Their hands have evolved more dramatically than humans'
- Consider yourself more advanced than a chimpanzee? When it comes to your hands, at least, you might be wrong. American and Spanish researchers who studied the hands of chimps, orangutans, humans, as well as those of human ancestors and ancient apes, say a chimp’s hands have evolved significantly since...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.