Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Relief Payments Result
in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Sep 14, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Relief Payments Result in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Official poverty rate rises, but 'supplemental' measure declines
- The share of Americans living in poverty rose slightly as the COVID-19 pandemic shook the economy last year, but massive relief payments pumped out by Congress eased hardship for many, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
The official poverty measure showed an increase of 1 percentage point in 2020,
You Might Get $2K
Relief Check After All
Jan 7, 2021 11:51 AM CST
You Might Get $2K Relief Check After All
Schumer says it's No. 1 priority in Democrat-controlled Senate
- It got a little lost in the shuffle of Wednesday's chaos in DC, but the pair of Democratic Senate wins in Georgia means that Americans might get $2,000 in COVID relief checks after all. In this case, that would likely mean an additional payment of $1,400 on...
Attempt to Increase COVID
Relief Checks Fails in House
Dec 24, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Attempt to Increase COVID Relief Checks Fails in House
House Democrats side with Trump on bigger amount, but Republicans block measure
- So how much will Americans get in COVID relief payments, and when will they get it? Check back Monday. House Democrats and Republicans engaged in a quick battle of legislative maneuvers on Thursday that effectively punted the issue into next week. The recap: Earlier this week, Congress passed legislation that...
He Got His Gun
Nov 20, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Kyle Rittenhouse Explains How He Got His Gun
Accused Kenosha shooter talks to the 'Washington Post'
- Accused Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse isn't old enough to buy or own a gun—so, the Illinois 17-year-old tells the
in a new interview, an 18-year-old friend who lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, bought it for him ... using economic stimulus funds. "I got my $1200 from the...
Trump Halts COVID Relief
Talks Until After Election
Oct 6, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
Trump Halts COVID Relief Talks Until After Election
Moves ends hopes of near-term relief for millions affected by pandemic
- The stock market rose when President Trump was released from the hospital Monday—and sank again less than 24 hours later when he declared that talks on a coronavirus relief package will be suspended until after the election. "Nancy Pelosi is asking for $2.4 Trillion Dollars to bailout...
Austrians Cash In Stimulus
Checks From ... America?
Sep 10, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Austrians Cash In Stimulus Checks From ... America?
And they're not the only foreigners receiving US stimulus funds in error
- Austria isn't part of the United States of America (last time we checked), but over the past few months, some Austrians have received assistance reserved only for US citizens and residents. They've been cashing checks sent to them as part of the $2 trillion US stimulus package, even...
Congress to Consider 2nd
Stimulus Check, Jobless Aid
Jul 20, 2020 8:49 AM CDT
Congress to Consider 2nd Stimulus Check, Jobless Aid
House and Senate are back in session with unemployment benefits about to expire
- Congress returns to session on Monday, and one issue will be dominating the headlines on that front in the coming days: a second round of aid for COVID-19. As NPR notes, supplemental unemployment benefits of $600 per week that Congress approved four months ago for tens of millions of Americans...
Get $2K a Month
May 8, 2020 1:48 PM CDT
Senators' Proposal: Americans Should Get $2K a Month
Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey unveil 'big idea' to relief economic pain during pandemic
- Americans who received a $1,200 stimulus check from the government to help mitigate financial losses during the coronavirus pandemic could now be coming to a sobering realization: It may not be enough. Three senators are saying the same, and they've just put forth a "big idea" to...
Next Move for Pelosi,
Schumer Is 'Rooseveltian'
May 8, 2020 10:16 AM CDT
Next Move for Pelosi, Schumer Is 'Rooseveltian'
Senate minority leader says coronavirus relief plan is response to call for 'big and bold' action
- With millions out of work and the future still murky amid the coronavirus pandemic, Americans are wondering what relief may soon be coming their way. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have something in the works: specifically, an aggressive economic stimulus plan that Schumer describes in...
Landlord Text on
Apr 21, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Man Felt 'Violated' After Landlord Text on Stimulus Check
Ore. man says property manager illegally accessed payment status via IRS site, asked for rent
- On April 15, Austin Goodrich received his stimulus check from the government. That same day, he got some odd texts from his property manager, per Business Insider . In messages documented by Joshua Browder, CEO of the DoNotPay legal chatbot, Goodrich's landlord asked him, "You got your stimulus, just...
It's Easy to Check on
Your Stimulus Payment
Apr 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
It's Easy to Check on Your Stimulus Payment
IRS.gov goes live with a tracking tool
- It's safe to say everyone who's expecting a federal stimulus check is eager to "get my payment." Those wondering exactly when that will happen can now turn to "Get My Payment" to find out. The new feature on went live on IRS.gov on Wednesday,...
Stimulus Checks Will Have
an Unusual Name on Them
Apr 15, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Stimulus Checks Will Have an Unusual Name on Them
A president's name, for the first time ever
- If you're among the Americans checking their mailboxes for a stimulus check, the
reports that yours will be coming to you a little differently than any other IRS disbursement in history: It will bear the words "President Donald J. Trump" on the left-hand side of the...
Fed Chief: Economy's
Rebound May Be 'Robust'
Apr 9, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Fed Chief: Economy's Rebound May Be 'Robust'
Agency unveils $2.3T loan program to help small businesses, cities
- The Federal Reserve is taking additional steps to provide up to $2.3 trillion in loans to support the economy, per the AP . The money will target American households and businesses, as well as local governments besieged by the coronavirus outbreak. The Fed said Thursday that it's activating a...
One Group Will Get Checks
Starting Monday: Lawmaker
Apr 8, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
One Group Will Get Checks Starting Monday: Lawmaker
Sources differ, but Social Security beneficiaries might come first
- Millions of Americans are close to receiving stimulus payments, but when exactly? Media reports are trying to break it down. Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich) said Wednesday the first group of recipients will include people who receive Social Security and who filed federal tax returns specifying their direct deposit information,
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus
Funds for One Set of Americans
Apr 2, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
Social Security recipients won't have to file tax return to get money
- One of the biggest challenges the Treasury Department has in getting Americans their checks from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package is tracking down people who don't file tax returns. Now, at least one key group of nonfilers will see that process expedited. The official word, delivered from...
Here's How Big Your
Coronavirus Check Will Be
Mar 26, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Here's How Big Your Coronavirus Check Will Be
Most Americans will get a check ... or direct deposit
- The Senate on Wednesday passed the biggest economic relief bill in US history—the AP gives a sense of scope by noting the $2.2 trillion price tag is equivalent to half the size of the entire $4 trillion-plus annual federal budget. Assuming the House passes it as expected on...
Americans May Be
Getting Checks Soon
Mar 17, 2020 6:52 PM CDT
Americans May Be Getting Checks Soon
Amount is up in the air, but Mnuchin suggests sending them in next 2 weeks
- It looks like Americans will soon be getting some type of relief check amid the coronavirus crisis. "We are looking at sending checks to Americans immediately," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Tuesday morning. "Americans need cash now and the president wants to get cash now," he...
Obama to GOP: Let's
Cut Corporate Taxes
NEW 'GRAND BARGAIN'?
Jul 30, 2013 7:58 AM CDT
Obama to GOP: Let's Cut Corporate Taxes
... but only if you agree to job creation measures
- President Obama has a new "grand bargain" for Republicans, though it's a little less grand this time around. In a speech today, Obama will offer to overhaul the corporate tax code, reducing the rate and reaping a onetime windfall in the process, the
Wall Street Journal
Oct 17, 2012 7:48 AM CDT
Battery Maker That Grabbed $132M Stimulus Goes Broke
Is A123 Systems the new Solyndra?
- A123, a battery maker that received $132 million in stimulus grants intended to promote electric vehicles, filed for bankruptcy yesterday, the
New York Times
reports, in a case that some pundits are already comparing to the Solyndra scandal. The bankruptcy is surprising, because the company had announced a deal to...
to Act Soon
Aug 22, 2012 2:18 PM CDT
Fed Signals It's Ready to Act Soon on Economy
Minutes of meeting show members worried about recovery
- Federal Reserve officials spoke with increased urgency at their last meeting about the need to provide more help for a weak US economy. In fact, many felt further support would be needed "fairly soon" unless things improved significantly. The minutes of the July 31-Aug. 1 meeting don't say...
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.