Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Jobs Streak Now
at 20 Months and Counting
Sep 2, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
US Jobs Streak Now at 20 Months and Counting
Employers added 315K workers in August, right in line with expectations
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it shows that employers are continuing to hire, though at a slower pace than in recent months:
Employers added 315,000 jobs in August, almost exactly in line with expectations. That's down from 528,000 in July and the
Jobs Report Much
Stronger Than Expected
Aug 5, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Jobs Report Much Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 528K positions, far above estimates
- The new jobs report is out, and it shows that the labor market is still booming:
Employers added 528,000 jobs in July, far above expectations of 258,000, reports CNBC . The leisure and hospitality sector added the most (96,000), followed by health care (70,000).
Into a Recession'
Jul 10, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
Commerce Chief: Let's Stop 'Talking Ourselves Into a Recession'
Gina Raimondo says a severe downturn is not inevitable
- Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo is worried that talk of a recession will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. In an ABC News interview Sunday with George Stephanopoulos on
, Raimondo recounted a recent conversation with an unnamed CEO. "He said, 'The economy's strong. Customers are buying. Businesses are...
Strong June Jobs Report
Has Investors Worried
Jul 8, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
Strong June Jobs Report Has Investors Worried
Another 372K jobs were added
- Hiring continues to defy expectations and remain strong, as the latest monthly report from the Labor Department demonstrates.
Employers added 372,000 jobs in June, well above analysts' predictions of 250,000, reports CNBC .
The unemployment rate remained at a low 3.6% for the fourth
For Every Unemployed Person,
2 Jobs Are Available
May 6, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
For Every Unemployed Person, 2 Jobs Are Available
It's a record-high proportion; new jobs figures for April reflect continued hiring
- The economy may be threatened on a number of fronts—inflation, a volatile stock market , a war overseas—but hiring is apparently not one of them. The new Labor Department numbers for April are out, and they reflect continued job growth:
Employers added 428,000 jobs in April, which
Hiring Streak in US
Sets an 80-Year Record
Apr 1, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hiring Streak in US Sets an 80-Year Record
We've had 11 straight months with gains of more than 400K jobs
- Despite red-hot inflation , US employers kept hiring at a solid pace in March. The key numbers:
Employers added 431,000 jobs for the month, coming in a bit shy of expectations of about 490,000. However, the
Wall Street Journal
points out this marks 11 straight months with gains
Jobs Report Suggests We're
on the Road to Recovery
Mar 4, 2022 8:54 AM CST
Jobs Report Suggests We're on the Road to Recovery
Employers added 678K new jobs, topping expectations
- The monthly jobs figures are out for February, and they signal a return to "something resembling normal," reports the
New York Times
. A drop in coronavirus cases coincided with strong hiring and increased consumer spending. More:
Employers added 678,000 jobs in February, topping economists' forecasts for
Economists Expected Lousy
Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Feb 4, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economists Expected Lousy Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Employers added 467K jobs in January, way above estimates
- Economists were expecting a lousy jobs report on Friday, but it came in much stronger than expected. Employers seem to have weathered the omicron surge in January better than anticipated. The numbers:
Employers added 467,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department reported. Estimates varied widely ahead of the
US Hiring Misfires
Jan 7, 2022 8:00 AM CST
US Hiring Misfires in December
Employers add fewer than 200K jobs, less than half of expectations
- The new monthly jobs figures are out for December, and they came in way under expectations. What's more, these stats are pulled from the first half of the month; in this case, that's before the omicron variant began surging in earnest, notes the AP .
Employers added 199,
New Jobs Report Is Out,
and It's Disappointing
Dec 3, 2021 8:07 AM CST
New Jobs Report Is Out, and It's Disappointing
Employers added 210K jobs, lower than expected, and that's before omicron
- Economists had high hopes about the new monthly jobs report, but those hopes fizzled when the stats came out Friday morning. Employers heartily missed expectations in regard to new hires. The details:
Employers added 210,000 jobs in November, well below expectations that were well north of 500,
Jobs Report Comes In
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 5, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes In Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 531K jobs in October, more than forecast
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it's stronger than expected. Hiring in October improved significantly over September, though it's still behind the pace set in the first half of the year. The details:
Employers added 531,000 jobs in October, above expectations of 400,
A Swing and a Miss for
September's Jobs Report
Oct 8, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
A Swing and a Miss for September's Jobs Report
Just 194K jobs were added last month
- US employers added just 194,000 jobs in September, a second straight tepid gain and evidence that the pandemic still has a grip on the economy, with many companies struggling to fill millions of open jobs. Friday's report from the Labor Department also showed that the unemployment rate fell...
2 Words on Jobs Report:
Sep 3, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
2 Words on Jobs Report: 'Huge Disappointment'
August numbers come in far below expectations
- The new jobs report is in for August, and lackluster might be one word to describe it. "Huge disappointment" ( CNBC ) and "surprisingly weak" (the AP ) are others. The key numbers:
Employers added 235,000 jobs for the month, but that is far below
Hiring Rebounds in May but
Falls Short of Expectations
Jun 4, 2021 7:43 AM CDT
Hiring Rebounds in May but Falls Short of Expectations
Employers added 559K jobs, double the figure from April
- Last month's unemployment report was a bust . The new one for May is twice as strong, though still shy of expectations. The Labor Department reported Friday that employers added 559,000 jobs last month, below expectations of about 670,000, reports CNBC . The unemployment rate, meanwhile, fell to 5....
Jobs Report Misses
Expectations by a Mile
May 7, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Jobs Report Misses Expectations by a Mile
Employers added 266K jobs, well under predictions of about 1M
- The new unemployment report for April is out, and the takeaway number didn't come close to meeting expectations. Details:
Employers added 266,000 jobs in the month, even though analysts had expected roughly 1 million, reports CNBC . The outlet characterizes the figure as a "huge letdown.
Hiring Booms as Jobs Report
Apr 2, 2021 7:48 AM CDT
Hiring Booms as Jobs Report Exceeds Expectations
Employers added more than 900K jobs in March as unemployment falls to 6%
- Analysts expected a strong jobs report, and the Labor Department delivered. Employers went on a hiring binge in March, and they're expected to continue for the near future. The highlights:
A big number:
Employers added 916,000 jobs last month, reports the AP , well above expectations of about 675,
Jobs Number Comes In
Much Worse Than Expected
Dec 4, 2020 7:49 AM CST
Jobs Number Comes In Much Worse Than Expected
Employers added 245K jobs, a big dropoff
- The new unemployment report is out, and it has a figure that in normal times would be strong: Employers added 245,000 new jobs in November. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate dropped from 6.9% to 6.7%. But in the context of the surging pandemic, the stat about new jobs...
The Final Jobs Report
Before the Election Is Out
Oct 2, 2020 7:47 AM CDT
The Final Jobs Report Before the Election Is Out
Unemployment rate falls to 7.9%
- The Labor Department released the final jobs report we'll have before the November election, and it was a mixed bag. The jobless rate fell further than expected, to 7.9% in September from 8.4% in August. But while the
Wall Street Journal
reports economists had expected about 800,...
Unemployment Rate Officially
Worst Since Great Depression
May 8, 2020 8:05 AM CDT
Unemployment Rate Officially Worst Since Great Depression
Rises to 14.7% in April
- Everyone knew the numbers were going to be bad —and the numbers are bad. The unemployment report released Friday morning shows that 20.5 million Americans lost their jobs in April as the pandemic shutdown took full effect, reports the AP . The figure is staggering but actually a bit...
'And Now, It's Gone':
What the Jobs Report Will Hold
May 8, 2020 12:45 AM CDT
'And Now, It's Gone': What the Jobs Report Will Hold
US is expected to have wiped out a decade's worth of jobs
- The monthly jobs report is out at 8:30am ET Friday, when we'll find out just how grim the April employment numbers are. The March report was "shocking," without even showing the true brunt of the coronavirus pandemic's impact since the relevant surveys end mid-month. Media...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
Arizona Clinic Comes Up With Abortion Pill Workaround
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.