Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jobs Report Absolutely
Oct 6, 2023 7:41 AM CDT
Jobs Report Absolutely Smashes Expectations
Dow futures dropped 200 points on the news
- The highly anticipated September jobs report is out, and it shows employers added 336,000 jobs last month, blowing expectations out of the water. It's the biggest gain since January. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that economists were anticipating a gain of 170,000 jobs. The unemployment rate held...
Jobs Market Is Cooling,
but With Few Layoffs
Sep 1, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Jobs Market Is Cooling, but With Few Layoffs
Companies are posting fewer openings, not cutting jobs
- The nation's employers added a solid 187,000 jobs in August in a sign of a still-resilient labor market despite the high interest rates the Federal Reserve has imposed. The job growth marked an increase from July's revised gain of 157,000 but still pointed to a moderating...
Employers Add Fewer
Jobs Than Expected
Aug 4, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Employers Add Fewer Jobs Than Expected
But the figure of 187K in July is still a solid one
- US employers added 187,000 jobs last month, fewer than expected, as the higher interest rates continued to weigh on the economy. But the unemployment rate dipped to 3.5% in a sign that the job market remains resilient, per the AP . Hiring was up from 185,000 in June,...
Strong Jobs Numbers
Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Jul 6, 2023 10:01 AM CDT
Strong Jobs Numbers Put Dow in a Sour Mood
Job openings fall below 10M, but they remain historically high
- US job openings slipped in May but remained at levels high enough to illustrate that the American labor market remains resilient in the face of sharply higher interest rates. Employers posted 9.8 million job vacancies, down from 10.3 million in April, the Labor Department said Thursday. But layoffs...
Jobs Report Comes in
Way Stronger Than Expected
Jun 2, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes in Way Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 339K jobs in May, above estimates of 190K
- The new jobs report is out, and it shows that American employers continue to hire workers at a pace that defies expectations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Employers added 339,000 jobs in May, well above predictions of 190,000. Economists keep expecting to see a sharp
Hiring Cools Off a Bit,
Still Remains Solid
Apr 7, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Hiring Cools Off a Bit, Still Remains Solid
Employers added 236K jobs in March, about in line with expectations
- America’s employers added a solid 236,000 jobs in March, reflecting a resilient labor market and suggesting that the Federal Reserve may see the need to keep raising interest rates in the coming months, per the AP . The unemployment rate fell to 3.5%, not far above the 53-year...
Powell Sees Progress
Getting Inflation in Check
Feb 7, 2023 12:36 PM CST
Powell Sees Progress Getting Inflation in Check
But Fed chief warns it will be a long process
- Wall Street investors waited Tuesday to read the tea leaves in the latest public comments from Fed chief Jerome Powell, and they seem conflicted about the message. After Powell said the process of getting inflation in check was showing progress, the Dow quickly erased morning losses and rose more than...
Unemployment Rate Hasn't
Been This Low Since 1969
Feb 3, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Unemployment Rate Hasn't Been This Low Since 1969
Falls to 3.4%; stock market isn't happy with surprisingly strong jobs report
- America’s employers added a robust 517,000 jobs in January, a surprisingly strong gain in the face of the Federal Reserve’s aggressive drive to slow growth and tame inflation with higher interest rates, per the AP . Analysts expected a figure of 187,000, notes the
Wall Street Journal
Latest Jobs Report
Pleases the Markets
Jan 6, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Latest Jobs Report Pleases the Markets
Hiring is above expectations, but wage growth is lower, causing Dow futures to jump
- Hiring cooled off a bit in December from the previous month, though the numbers reflect a still-strong labor market. Another part of Friday's unemployment report—on wage gains—has the stock market in a pretty good mood:
Employers added 223,000 jobs in December, slightly above expectations of
Hiring Is Again
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 4, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Hiring Is Again Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 261K jobs in October
- The latest jobs report came in stronger than expected, which may not be great news for investors hoping the Fed eases up on rate increases. As the AP puts it, "the economy remains a picture of solid job growth and painful inflation." The details:
a Surprise Dip
Oct 7, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
263K Jobs Added Last Month, Plus a Surprise Dip
Unemployment rate fell from 3.7% to 3.5%, matching a 5-decade low
- America's employers slowed their hiring in September but still added a solid 263,000 jobs—a dose of encouraging news that may mean the Federal Reserve's drive to cool the job market and ease inflation is starting to make progress. Friday's government report showed that last month'...
US Jobs Streak Now
at 20 Months and Counting
Sep 2, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
US Jobs Streak Now at 20 Months and Counting
Employers added 315K workers in August, right in line with expectations
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it shows that employers are continuing to hire, though at a slower pace than in recent months:
Employers added 315,000 jobs in August, almost exactly in line with expectations. That's down from 528,000 in July and the
Jobs Report Much
Stronger Than Expected
Aug 5, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Jobs Report Much Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 528K positions, far above estimates
- The new jobs report is out, and it shows that the labor market is still booming:
Employers added 528,000 jobs in July, far above expectations of 258,000, reports CNBC . The leisure and hospitality sector added the most (96,000), followed by health care (70,000).
Into a Recession'
Jul 10, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
Commerce Chief: Let's Stop 'Talking Ourselves Into a Recession'
Gina Raimondo says a severe downturn is not inevitable
- Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo is worried that talk of a recession will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. In an ABC News interview Sunday with George Stephanopoulos on
, Raimondo recounted a recent conversation with an unnamed CEO. "He said, 'The economy's strong. Customers are buying. Businesses are...
Strong June Jobs Report
Has Investors Worried
Jul 8, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
Strong June Jobs Report Has Investors Worried
Another 372K jobs were added
- Hiring continues to defy expectations and remain strong, as the latest monthly report from the Labor Department demonstrates.
Employers added 372,000 jobs in June, well above analysts' predictions of 250,000, reports CNBC .
The unemployment rate remained at a low 3.6% for the fourth
For Every Unemployed Person,
2 Jobs Are Available
May 6, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
For Every Unemployed Person, 2 Jobs Are Available
It's a record-high proportion; new jobs figures for April reflect continued hiring
- The economy may be threatened on a number of fronts—inflation, a volatile stock market , a war overseas—but hiring is apparently not one of them. The new Labor Department numbers for April are out, and they reflect continued job growth:
Employers added 428,000 jobs in April, which
Hiring Streak in US
Sets an 80-Year Record
Apr 1, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hiring Streak in US Sets an 80-Year Record
We've had 11 straight months with gains of more than 400K jobs
- Despite red-hot inflation , US employers kept hiring at a solid pace in March. The key numbers:
Employers added 431,000 jobs for the month, coming in a bit shy of expectations of about 490,000. However, the
Wall Street Journal
points out this marks 11 straight months with gains
Jobs Report Suggests We're
on the Road to Recovery
Mar 4, 2022 8:54 AM CST
Jobs Report Suggests We're on the Road to Recovery
Employers added 678K new jobs, topping expectations
- The monthly jobs figures are out for February, and they signal a return to "something resembling normal," reports the
New York Times
. A drop in coronavirus cases coincided with strong hiring and increased consumer spending. More:
Employers added 678,000 jobs in February, topping economists' forecasts for
Economists Expected Lousy
Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Feb 4, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economists Expected Lousy Jobs Report, Got the Opposite
Employers added 467K jobs in January, way above estimates
- Economists were expecting a lousy jobs report on Friday, but it came in much stronger than expected. Employers seem to have weathered the omicron surge in January better than anticipated. The numbers:
Employers added 467,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department reported. Estimates varied widely ahead of the
US Hiring Misfires
Jan 7, 2022 8:00 AM CST
US Hiring Misfires in December
Employers add fewer than 200K jobs, less than half of expectations
- The new monthly jobs figures are out for December, and they came in way under expectations. What's more, these stats are pulled from the first half of the month; in this case, that's before the omicron variant began surging in earnest, notes the AP .
Employers added 199,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.