Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
George HW Bush
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
May 11, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Fire Destroys Iconic NH Barn
Cause of blaze at Scamman Farm in Stratham under investigation
- A fire destroyed a barn at a New Hampshire farm that's been the backdrop for political events for Republican presidents and candidates through the years. The fire burned down a barn at the Scamman Farm in Stratham, reports the AP , a little after 10:30pm on Monday. Fire crews...
She Was a Rarity
in the Bush Family
Jan 11, 2021 11:00 AM CST
She Was a Rarity in the Bush Family
Nancy Bush Ellis, who backed liberal causes, dies at 94 from COVID
- An elder member of the Bush political clan has died from COVID. Nancy Bush Ellis, sister of George HW Bush and aunt of George W. Bush, died Sunday at age 94 of complications of the virus, reports Today.com . She had been hospitalized in Massachusetts on Dec. 30 with a...
Barbara Bush Came
Close to Killing Herself
Mar 31, 2019 11:50 AM CDT
Barbara Bush Came Close to Killing Herself
The former first lady talked to biographer Susan Page about her struggles
- Barbara Bush's depression ran so deep, she considered driving into a tree or an oncoming car. That's when she would pull over. "I felt terrible," she told Susan Page for
, a new biography coming out Tuesday. "...I mean, I felt really depressed. I...
to Set a Record
Mar 21, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
Jimmy Carter to Set a Record for Presidents
As the oldest living former president
- Jimmy Carter has already lived longer after leaving office than any other president—more than 38 years. And on Friday, he'll be 94 years and 172 days old, the
reports, passing the record set by George HW Bush as the oldest living former president. Carter has kept...
Bush Had a Secret Project for
10 Years. He Used a Fake Name
Dec 19, 2018 11:10 AM CST
Bush Had a Secret Project for 10 Years. He Used a Fake Name
Former president sponsored a Filipino child named Timothy
- Compassion International allows people to sponsor kids living in poverty around the globe—and for 10 years, George HW Bush quietly sponsored a Filipino child through the organization. Bush, using a pseudonym, was connected with Timothy, then 7, in 2002. "I am an old man, 77 years old,...
Michelle Obama Dishes
on Dubya Passing Her
Things at Funerals
Dec 17, 2018 8:18 AM CST
Michelle Obama Dishes on Dubya Passing Her Things at Funerals
Former first lady says George W. Bush had 'the sense of humor to bring me a mint'
- Another "cough drop moment" between Michelle Obama and George W. Bush? Per
, the former first lady made a stop in San Jose, Calif., on Friday for her book tour, and she addressed an apparent repeat of what took place at John McCain's memorial service in...
Bush's Gravestone Bears
a Simple Inscription
Dec 7, 2018 12:45 AM CST
Bush's Gravestone Bears a Simple Inscription
41st president was buried Thursday after a Navy hymn
- Texas A&M says the private, graveside service for George HW Bush's family members has ended and the former president has been buried. Thursday evening's ceremony concludes days of funeral activities honoring the 41st president, the AP reports. After lying in state at the US Capitol and a...
Thousands Cheer Along
Bush's Funeral Train
Dec 6, 2018 3:40 PM CST
Thousands Cheer Along Bush's Funeral Train
And take rocks, pressed coins as souvenirs
- Thousands waved and cheered along the route as funeral train 4141—for the 41st president—carried George HW Bush's remains toward their final resting place in Texas on Thursday, his last journey as a week of national remembrance took on a decidedly personal feel in an emotional home state...
Presidential Funeral Train
Is First in Nearly 50 Years
Dec 6, 2018 1:46 AM CST
Presidential Funeral Train Is First in Nearly 50 Years
It'll make a roughly 70-mile journey
- The locomotive was painted to resemble Air Force One, but George HW Bush joked that if it had been around during his presidency, he may have preferred to ride the rails rather than take to the skies. "I might have left Air Force One behind," Bush quipped during...
At Bush's Funeral,
Moments of Humor
Dec 5, 2018 12:49 PM CST
At Bush's Funeral, Moments of Humor
Jon Meacham gives a eulogy both poignant and light
- George HW Bush was celebrated with high praise and loving humor Wednesday as the nation bade farewell to the man who was America's 41st president and the last to fight for the US in wartime. Three former presidents looked on at Washington National Cathedral as a fourth—George W....
A 'Dramatic Moment'
Before No. 41's Funeral
Dec 5, 2018 6:57 AM CST
A 'Dramatic Moment' Before No. 41's Funeral
World leaders and past presidents to gather in DC Wednesday to remember George HW Bush
- The mail has been stopped , the NYSE has been shuttered, and past US presidents, world leaders, and other dignitaries are converging on DC to attend the state funeral for George HW Bush. President Trump, who has declared Wednesday a national day of mourning , is set to attend the service for...
USPS Shuts Down
to Honor Bush
Dec 4, 2018 8:00 AM CST
USPS Shuts Down to Honor Bush
NYSE, Nasdaq will also be closed
- The US Postal Service "will suspend regular mail deliveries, retail services and administrative office activity" on Wednesday, declared a national day of mourning for former President George HW Bush. "Out of respect for the 41st President," USPS says it will provide only limited package delivery "consistent...
Trump Salutes Bush's
Casket at the Capitol
Dec 4, 2018 1:27 AM CST
Trump Salutes Bush's Casket at the Capitol
Melania put her hand over her heart
- President Trump paid his respects Monday after George HW Bush arrived at the Capitol for the final time . The 45th president—who skipped an earlier service—visited the 41st president as he was lying in state, the AP reports. The president, who traveled down Pennsylvania Avenue in a motorcade, saluted...
Bush 41 Arrives
at Capitol for
Dec 3, 2018 5:00 PM CST
Bush 41 Arrives at Capitol for Final Time
Former president lies in state
- The nation's capital embraced George HW Bush in death Monday with solemn ceremony and tributes to his service and decency, as the remains of the 41st president took their place in the Capitol rotunda for three days of mourning by the political elite and everyday citizens alike, the...
Dec 3, 2018 12:18 PM CST
For Bush, a Final, Fitting Pair of Socks
They pay homage to former president's naval service
- George HW Bush was known for his colorful socks , so it's only fitting he will be buried in a special pair. Spokesman Jim McGrath tweeted the image Monday: The socks feature planes flying in formation, a nod to Bush's own history as a young Navy pilot, reports Fox...
Has Last Duty
Dec 3, 2018 7:36 AM CST
Bush's Loyal Service Dog Has Last Duty
Sully the service dog pictured lying in front of casket
- George HW Bush's spokesman tweeted a poignant image Sunday evening of the former president's service dog, Sully, lying before the former president's casket. "Mission complete," wrote Jim McGrath. Sully, who joined Bush earlier this year and spent the last few months at Bush's side,...
These Were Bush's Final Words
Dec 2, 2018 5:30 AM CST
These Were Bush's Final Words
'I love you, too,' he told son George W.
- The last four words George HW Bush spoke were to son George W. Bush, reports the
New York Times
: "I love you, too." The younger Bush was at home in Dallas Friday night when he was put on speakerphone with his dad in Houston to say goodbye. He...
Clinton Found This Note
When He Took Office
Dec 1, 2018 3:47 PM CST
Clinton Found This Note When He Took Office
From an outgoing president to an incoming one
- It was a grace note for the ages. "Dear Bill," George HW Bush scribbled Jan. 20, 1993, to the Democrat about to succeed him as president, the AP reports. "When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that...
He Served Just One Term,
but the World Changed
Dec 1, 2018 9:14 AM CST
He Served Just One Term, but the World Changed
George HW Bush was in office at the end of the Cold War
- With George HW Bush dead at 94 , coverage of the life of the 41st president is plentiful. Here are some early highlights:
The broad strokes:
For a thorough obituary and assessment, start with the
. Its story notes that while Bush served just one term as president, it was
Will Trump Speak at Funeral?
He Has Friction With Bushes
Dec 1, 2018 7:30 AM CST
Will Trump Speak at Funeral? He Has Friction With Bushes
But the president had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday
- President Trump had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday after the former president's death , both in a formal statement and a more personal tweet . But as
reports, Trump has a history of friction with the Bush family, with the elder Bush himself referring to Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.