Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sours as China Sees
Record COVID Cases
Nov 24, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Economic Outlook Sours as China Sees Record COVID Cases
Country has reported its first COVID deaths in 6 months
- Some three years after the earliest cases of COVID-19 emerged, infections in China have hit a record high and many millions of people are under lockdowns. Some 31,444 new locally acquired infections were reported Wednesday, breaking a record set in April when a surge in cases led to Shanghai...
Girl's Death Increases
Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Nov 17, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Girl's Death Increases Anger at 'Zero COVID' Policy
Infant died after becoming ill in quarantine in central China city
- Chinese authorities faced more public anger Thursday after a second child's death was blamed on overzealous anti-virus enforcement, adding to frustration at controls that have confined millions of people to their homes and sparked fights with health workers. The 4-month-old girl died after suffering vomiting and diarrhea while in...
With Discontent Growing,
China Slightly Eases
Nov 11, 2022 11:31 AM CST
With Discontent Growing, China Slightly Eases COVID Measures
But 'zero COVID' policy isn't changing, authorities say
- Authorities in China said this week that they have no intention of abandoning the country's "zero COVID" policy, but the easing of some measures was announced Friday despite rising case numbers. Quarantine in government facilities for close contacts of infected people will be cut from seven days to...
Patient Heads Home
—After 453 Days
Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM CST
'Miracle' COVID Patient Heads Home —After 453 Days
Weaymon 'Dub' Crochet, after 15 months in Texas hospitals, says: 'God [gave] me all his angels'
- The average length of a patient's stay in a hospital while being treated for COVID is about a week or so, per CDC stats from April. A Texas man has surpassed that length of time and then some, and his survival is now being hailed as a "miracle....
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
One Theory on the Big Jump
in Workers With Disabilities
Oct 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
One Theory on the Big Jump in Workers With Disabilities
Fed report suggests long COVID is the driver
- Take a look at Axios' chart of how many disabled Americans are in the US workforce, and you'll see a decade where the number mostly fell between 4 million and 5 million. But since 2020 it's been a steady climb from just below 5 million to 5.73...
China Doubles Down
on Zero-COVID Policies
Oct 21, 2022 4:18 AM CDT
China Doubles Down on Zero-COVID Policies
Citizens had hoped party congress would signal a loosening of harsh policies
- As China’s ruling Communist Party holds a congress this week, many Beijing residents are focused on an issue not on the formal agenda: Will the end of the meeting bring an easing of the at times draconian "zero-COVID" policies that are disrupting lives and the economy? It appears...
University's COVID Study
Causes a Ruckus
Oct 18, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
University's COVID Study Causes a Ruckus
Boston University makes hybrid version in lab, and federal agency is surprised to learn of it
- Researchers at Boston University have a COVID controversy on their hands. As Mass Live reports, scientists there created a hybrid version of the virus in the lab in order to better understand the omicron variant. The experiment resulted in what the university calls inaccurate and sensationalized media coverage—particularly at...
Taiwan: What COVID?
Come on In!
Oct 13, 2022 4:18 AM CDT
Taiwan: What COVID? Come on In!
No more mandatory quarantine for visitors
- Taiwan lifted all its COVID-19 entry restrictions on Thursday, allowing tourists unfettered access to the self-ruled island after more than 2 1/2 years of border controls. Hong Kong and Taiwan, together with mainland China, required most visitors to complete a mandatory quarantine period throughout the pandemic, even as most countries...
CDC to Shift on
Oct 7, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
CDC to Shift on COVID Reporting
Agency to switch from daily to weekly counts of cases, deaths later this month
- The daily COVID-19 case counts offered by the CDC for more than two years are about to end. The agency said Thursday that it will move to weekly counts starting Oct. 20. The CDC, which previously shifted to weekly reporting of vaccinations, said the move would "allow for additional...
Ringo Starr Tests Positive,
Axes Tour Dates
Oct 3, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Ringo Starr Tests Positive, Axes Tour Dates
82-year-old former Beatle wants to get back on the road as soon as possible, rep says
- Ringo Starr has become the latest star brought down by COVID—but the 82-year-old former Beatle hopes to get back on the road soon, a spokesperson says. Two US shows with his All-Starr band over the weekend were scrapped because Starr was feeling ill, and five more dates in Canada...
Shania's Reference to 'Air'
in New Song Is Revealing
Sep 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Shania's Reference to 'Air' in New Song Is Revealing
Singer, 57, says in Netflix documentary it's about her life-threatening bout with COVID
- A new Shania Twain documentary,
Not Just a Girl
, debuted over the summer on Netflix , and one portion is now gaining traction. The film tracks the 57-year-old Canadian singer and songwriter as she puts together her sixth album, and the BBC describes one of the songs on it—"What...
Canada Is Dropping
COVID Rules at Border
Sep 26, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Canada Is Dropping COVID Rules at Border
Health minister says this doesn't mean the pandemic has ended
- While cautioning that the pandemic isn't over in Canada, the federal government nonetheless will no longer require people entering the country to show proof of coronavirus vaccination—or meet any of the other COVID conditions that have been in place. The health minister said new variants being brought in...
After Queen's Funeral,
Another Queen Has COVID
Sep 21, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
After Queen's Funeral, Another Queen Has COVID
Denmark's Queen Margrethe tested positive the day after London funeral
- Denmark's Queen Margrethe II tested positive for COVID-19 the day after she attended Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral in London, the palace says. The 82-year-old, who became Europe's longest-serving monarch after the death of the British queen, was one of around 2,000 guests at the Westminster...
'60 minutes' interview
Sep 19, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Biden Says 'Pandemic Is Over'
And more from president's '60 Minutes' interview
- President Biden appeared on
Sunday night in what the AP refers to as a "rare" interview, discussing the COVID-19 pandemic and the raid on former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence, among other things. His declaration on the state of the pandemic in the US was fairly bold:...
Bus Taking People to COVID
Quarantine Crashes, Killing 27
Sep 19, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Bus Taking People to COVID Quarantine Crashes, Killing 27
Tragedy sparked outrage in China
- A bus reportedly taking 47 people to COVID-19 quarantine in southwest China crashed before dawn Sunday, killing 27 and injuring 20 others, media said. The bus overturned on an expressway in Guizhou province, a brief statement from the Sandu county police said, without mentioning any connection to quarantine. The injured...
For First Time Since 2019,
Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
Sep 17, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
For First Time Since 2019, Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
German beer fest in Munich was canceled in 2020, 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- The beer is flowing at Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest for the first time since 2019. With three knocks of a hammer and the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" ("It's tapped!"), Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon local...
WHO Chief: End of
Pandemic Is in Sight
Sep 14, 2022 2:29 PM CDT
WHO Chief: End of Pandemic Is in Sight
Weekly deaths hit lowest level since March 2020
- The end of the pandemic is in sight and the world has never been in a better position to stop COVID-19, the chief of the World Health Organization said Wednesday. Reuters describes Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus' remarks as his most optimistic since March 2020, when the UN health agency first declared...
Brain Fog Isn't a Fog.
It's Something Far Worse
Sep 13, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
Brain Fog Isn't a Fog. It's Something Far Worse
Executive-function impairments make life exceedingly difficult for long COVID sufferers
- You've heard about "brain fog" in relation to COVID, but likely not like this. Writing for the
, Ed Yong delves into the symptom that plagues some long COVID sufferers, and plagues might be too soft a word. As one primary-care specialist from the University of Oxford puts...
Consequence for Kids
Sep 7, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Researchers Reveal 'Devastating' COVID Consequence for Kids
It's estimated that 10.5M children lost parent, caregiver to disease during pandemic
- Last year, numbers emerged showing an estimated 5.2 million children had lost a parent or caregiver to COVID through October. Now, a "heartbreaking" update on that toll, per a new global study that finds almost 8 million kids 18 and under were left grieving one or both parents...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Green Book Actor Found Dead on Bronx Street
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Pentagon Intros Secret New Bomber: 'Won't Really See It'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.