Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Uses Final Show to
Apr 28, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
James Corden Uses Final Show to Send Message to Americans
Says the country has become too divisive
- James Corden used part of his farewell speech on Thursday's final episode of CBS'
The Late Late Show
to address the deep rift in America over hot button issues including politics and ideology, the AP reports. “We started this show with Obama, then Trump and a global pandemic....
in Critical Condition
After Snow Plow Incident
Jan 2, 2023 7:05 AM CST
Jeremy Renner in Critical Condition After Snow Plow Incident
Actor is in critical but stable condition, rep says
star Jeremy Renner is being treated for serious injuries that happened while he was plowing snow, the actor's representative said Sunday. Renner, 51, is in critical condition although he is stable, the actor's representative said. No further details on the extent of Renner's injuries were available,...
'She Told the Truth
Oct 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
'She Told the Truth About Hollywood'
Nikki Finke, founder of Deadline entertainment news site, has died at age 68
- Deadline is reporting on a death that hits especially hard among its own: Nikki Finke, the fiery entertainment journalist who founded the Hollywood trade site, died Sunday at the age of 68 at her home in Boca Raton, Fla., after a long illness. Finke, who
notes was notorious...
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,'
Outlet Will Make Own Content
Mar 31, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,' Outlet Will Make Own Content
Conservative Daily Wire says entertainment giant is pushing 'radical' ideology to children
- The conservative media outlet Daily Wire is launching an entertainment division for children to counter what it calls a "woke" ideology of Disney. The company—best known for its podcast featuring Ben Shapiro—says in a release that it will spend $100 million over three years to develop DW...
No Way Home
Audiences Out Of Their Homes
Jan 2, 2022 2:30 PM CST
No Way Home
Is Luring Audiences Out Of Their Homes
Superhero movies seem to be the only thing people will go to theaters to see
- Hollywood closed out 2021 with more fireworks at the box office for
Spider-Man: No Way Home
, which topped all films for the third straight week and already charts among the highest grossing films ever. But even with all the champagne popping for it, the film industry heads into 2022 with...
Shines On Big Screen
Despite Hybrid Release
Oct 24, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Shines On Big Screen Despite Hybrid Release
Long-awaited sci-fi update sold $40.1M in tickets
- Denis Villeneuve's
debuted with $40.1 million in ticket sales in its opening weekend in North America, drawing a large number of moviegoers to see the thundering sci-fi epic on the big screen despite it also being available to stream in homes. Warner Bros. launched the Legendary Entertainment...
'Explosive Diarrhea' Outbreak
Halts Slip 'N Slide Show
Jun 12, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
'Explosive Diarrhea' Outbreak Halts Slip 'N Slide Show
NBC pauses production after area near set tests positive for giardia
- Here are two ideas you'd want to be as far apart as possible: Slip 'N Slide and explosive diarrhea. And in the interest of keeping one away from the other, NBC shut down production on
Ultimate Slip 'N Slide
, a summer game show featuring a water...
Quiet Place II
Hollywood Sighs in Relief
May 30, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Quiet Place II
Opens Big, Hollywood Sighs in Relief
Horror sequel will take in $58M over the long weekend
- Moviegoing increasingly looks like it didn't die during the pandemic. It just went into hibernation. John Krasinski's thriller sequel
A Quiet Place Part II
opened over the Memorial Day weekend to a pandemic-best $48.4 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. Including the Monday holiday, the studio...
Mom-Speak for You
May 12, 2019 7:43 AM CDT
Translates Mom-Speak for You
'Splendid' is really rather complicated and all-encompassing in the UK
- President Trump did not escape as the target of
Saturday Night Live's
latest Cold Open, but the sweeter, funnier bit came during guest-host Emma Thompson's opening monologue. Joined the
alums Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the trio proceeded to translate what your mother really means when she'...
Drop Surprise Album
Jun 17, 2018 6:12 AM CDT
Beyonce, Jay-Z Drop Surprise Album
And 'Everything Is Love' isn't all love, especially if you're the Grammys
- Out of the blue, Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a joint album that's being described as both unexpected and long-rumored, reports Pitchfork . But
Everything Is Love
is not all sunshine and rainbows from the duo now going by The Carters, particularly for the Grammys (where Jay-Z went 0-8 at the...
Blue Man Group
Will Pay a Guy $3M
Jun 16, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Blue Man Group Will Pay a Guy $3M
Composer Ian Pai had sought $150 million for damages
- Blue Man Group has agreed to pay Ian Pai more than $3 million to settle his claim that he helped the group compose many of its songs and contributed to its success, reports the
New York Times
. Pai had originally sued the group in 2016 for $150 million in compensatory...
May 17, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Stan Lee: Company I Founded Stole My Identity
POW! Entertainment scoffs at $1B lawsuit
- POW! Entertainment is speaking out against what it says is a lawsuit "completely without merit." It comes, surprisingly, from the company's own co-founder, 95-year-old Stan Lee. Filed Tuesday, the $1 billion suit accuses POW! of a "fraudulent" deal that gave the company "the exclusive right...
This Is Us
Trump World on
Mar 11, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
This Is Us
Meets Trump World on
Sterling K. Brown guest-hosts, spoofs his touchy-feely NBC hit
- Emmy-winning actor Sterling K. Brown is having a moment: Promoting the hit
This Is Us
star hosted the latest episode of
Saturday Night Live,
and by all accounts nailed it, reports
He spoofed his tearjerker NBC series with one focused on the Trump administration called...
Shape of Water
Mar 5, 2018 5:11 AM CST
Shape of Water
Director Del Toro has a big night
- Some said it was nothing more than "masochistic nostalgia," while others predicted it was going to provide the "ultimate Hollywood ending." That would be Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty making a repeat appearance Sunday night to present the award for best picture—after famously announcing the...
Weinstein's Accusers Take
Center Stage at Award Show
Mar 4, 2018 10:13 PM CST
Weinstein's Accusers Take Center Stage at Award Show
Ashley Judd, Annabella Sciorra, and Salma Hayek appear for tribute to Me Too, Time's Up movements
- Jimmy Kimmel referenced Harvey Weinstein in his opening monologue for the 90th Academy Awards, but it got more personal when three of Weinstein's accusers stepped out onto the stage Sunday night to introduce a video montage on gender equality in Hollywood, per
and E! Online . "It's...
Actress on Oscar
First: 'Thank You
for This Moment'
Mar 4, 2018 9:19 PM CST
Transgender Actress on Oscar First: 'Thank You for This Moment'
Daniela Vega is award show's first openly transgender presenter
A Fantastic Woman
won best foreign language film at the Oscars Sunday night, and its star, Daniela Vega, made her own mark on the Dolby Theatre stage. Per the
New York Daily News
, the 28-year-old actress became the first transgender presenter at the Oscars, introducing Sufjan Stevens and...
Stars Stick Up
Mar 4, 2018 8:54 PM CST
2 Immigrant Stars Stick Up for Dreamers
Lupita Nyong'o and Kumail Nanjiani: 'Dreams are the foundation of America'
- The fate of Dreamers in the US is still up in the air , but at the Oscars Sunday night, two presenters offered their support to this vulnerable group. Lupita Nyong'o and Kumail Nanjiani took the stage to offer the award for best production design, with Nyong'o deadpanning, "...
Oscars Kick Off
With #MeToo, Politics,
and ... a Jet Ski
Mar 4, 2018 7:39 PM CST
Oscars Kick Off With #MeToo, Politics, and ... a Jet Ski
Watercraft up for grabs for shortest acceptance speech, per Jimmy Kimmel
- Jimmy Kimmel kicked off the 90th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre, his second turn hosting, by first riffing on
year's Academy Awards—specifically, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway messing up the best picture announcement . "This year when you hear your name called, don't get up...
Jan 8, 2018 11:33 AM CST
Actress Who Wore Red Takes Flak After Globes
Blanca Blanco didn't like being shamed for color choice on a night noting Me Too movement
- Nearly every star attending the Golden Globes wore black as a statement against sexual misconduct in Hollywood—so one red dress didn't blend in on the red carpet. Actress Blanca Blanco ditched the black dress code for a red cutout dress and soon saw heat on social media. Others...
Causing a Stir
at the Globes: an
Jan 8, 2018 2:03 AM CST
Causing a Stir at the Globes: an Ex-Laughingstock, an Ex-Pariah
Tommy Wiseau, Tonya Harding in the spotlight as movies on their careers are recognized
- You never know what's going to happen at the Golden Globes, or who's going to show up. Per EW.com , James Franco had vowed to bring Tommy Wiseau, the eccentric filmmaker he portrayed in
The Disaster Artist
, to the awards show, and he kept his word—and Wiseau...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.