Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
2 States Head Into Emergency
Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Oct 26, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
2 States Head Into Emergency Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Severe weather could pound parts of New York, New Jersey for next several days
- As California starts to pull out of the combo bomb cyclone/atmospheric river that slammed parts of the state over the weekend into Monday, residents on the opposite coast are now dealing with their own severe weather. The governors of both New York and New Jersey have declared states of emergency...
for 'Prolonged' Storm
Feb 1, 2021 7:18 AM CST
Northeast Readies for 'Prolonged' Storm
This nor'easter is a 'slow-mover'
- Snowfall picked up Monday in the Northeast as the region braced for a whopper of a storm that could dump well over a foot of snow in many areas, create blizzard-like conditions, and cause travel problems for the next few days. Lara Pagano, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service,...
Big Surprise for
After Big Snow
Dec 17, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Big Surprise for Virtual Students After Big Snow
W. Va. school district cancels remote classes to let students, staff just enjoy the day
- Do you want to build a snowman? Thanks to a West Virginia school district, Anna and Elsa weren't the only ones donning their hats and gloves Wednesday to frolic in the snow after Winter Storm Gail slammed the East Coast. Jefferson County Schools could have still made kids go...
Power Amid 'the
First Big One'
Dec 6, 2020 12:05 PM CST
Thousands Lose Power Amid 'the First Big One'
Heavy snow lands in the Northeast
- The first big wintry storm of the season began dropping what forecasters say could be more than a foot of wet, heavy snow Saturday on parts of the Northeast, making travel treacherous and cutting off power to tens of thousands, the AP reports. Morning rain gave over to snow in...
Northeast Braces for
Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Dec 5, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Northeast Braces for Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Some areas could see double-digit snowfall levels in area's first major snowstorm of the season
- The Northeast's first major snowstorm of the season is set to blanket multiple states over the weekend, with strong winds, anticipated snowfall in the double digits, heavy rains, and power outages in some areas. The weather event may even turn into a "bomb cyclone," which occurs when...
Northeast Braces for
4th Nor'Easter in 3 Weeks
Mar 20, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Northeast Braces for 4th Nor'Easter in 3 Weeks
Storm may dump foot of snow on New York
- It's the first day of spring, and to celebrate, the Northeast is getting its fourth nor'easter in three weeks. New York is expected to get as much as 14 inches of snow when it starts falling Tuesday night; Washington, DC, could get 4 to 8 inches and Boston...
Yet Another Nor'easter Aims
to Slam the East Coast
Mar 11, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Yet Another Nor'easter Aims to Slam the East Coast
It's happening again.
- The Northeast is bracing for its third nor'easter in fewer than two weeks, per the AP. The National Weather Service reports Sunday that a southern storm is expected to make its way up the coast causing more snowfall. The Boston area is predicted to get 6-8 inches while Maine...
Powerful Storm Leaves at
Least 6 Dead on East Coast
Mar 3, 2018 1:55 PM CST
Powerful Storm Leaves at Least 6 Dead on East Coast
Nor'easter brings flooding, high winds, heavy snow, widespread power outages
- The powerful nor'easter that transformed into a bomb cyclone and pummeled a 1,000-mile stretch of the East Coast with rain, snow, wind, and flooding Friday and Saturday left at least six people dead, the
reports. According to CNN , winds hit over 90 miles per hour off...
Snow Forecasts Just
Keep Getting Worse
Mar 13, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
Snow Forecasts Just Keep Getting Worse
Blizzard in the forecast for the Northeast
- Residents of the Northeast have known that a storm was on the way for days now, but the forecasts are only getting more dire as the moment approaches. The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard watch from late Monday through Tuesday evening for New York City and parts of...
Jan 25, 2015 4:26 PM CST
Northeast Braces for 'Catastrophic,' 'Historic' Storm
Nor'easter is headed in
- There's a storm headed for the Northeast, and the National Weather Service isn't exactly beating around the bush in its descriptions, calling it "historic" and "catastrophic." "People should be making preparations right now," a NWS meteorologist tells the
Thanksgiving Travelers Should 'Pack Patience'
Nov 25, 2014 10:15 AM CST
Thanksgiving Travelers Should 'Pack Patience'
East Coast could get pummeled with rain, snow starting tonight into Thursday
- A nor'easter is expected to develop along the East Coast just as millions of travelers head to their Thanksgiving destinations. The storm, forecast to dump rain along the coast and snow further inland, could cause delays along busy Northeast highways and has the possibility of upsetting travel plans at...
Happy Spring: Here
Comes 'Nor'easter Bomb'
Mar 21, 2014 4:09 PM CDT
Happy Spring: Here Comes 'Nor'easter Bomb'
Big storm predicted for Tuesday in Northeast
- No matter what the calendar says, it's going to feel a lot more like winter than spring in much of the US this weekend and into next week. Both
and Slate take note of this not-so-pleasant warning from the National Weather Service: “Nor'easter bomb indicated...
Just in Time for Thanksgiving:
A Vicious Nor'easter
Nov 22, 2013 4:22 AM CST
Just in Time for Thanksgiving: A Vicious Nor'easter
Weather service warns storm could snarl travel
- A mighty storm is brewing off the East Coast and forecasters fear it could reach land just in time to cause Thanksgiving travel chaos. Weather models suggest a variety of outcomes when the storm moves north and meets a blast of Arctic air, but the most likely one is believed...
'Historic' Snow Storm
Looms for New England
Feb 7, 2013 7:30 AM CST
'Historic' Snow Storm Looms for New England
2 storms could combine tomorrow, bringing winds, 2 feet of snow
- Two big winter storms are bearing down on the northeast, and forecasters are warning they could combine tomorrow to create a "potentially historic" blizzard, reports
. The first storm is currently crossing the Plains and is expected to pick up more moisture from the Great Lakes as it...
NJ in Snow
Nov 8, 2012 7:39 AM CST
Nor'easter Covers NYC, NJ in Snow
Once again, thousands lose power
- Mother Nature continues to kick the Northeast around: New Jersey has been hit with significant snowfall from a Nor'easter, with Accuweather reporting 13 inches in one town. The storm dumped six inches on parts of New York City as well, while southern Connecticut saw 10 inches, the
'FEMA Center Closed
Due to Weather'
Nov 7, 2012 3:29 PM CST
'FEMA Center Closed Due to Weather'
New York sites shut down ahead of storm: DNA Info
- DNA Info today spotted signs sure to warm the cockles of New Yorkers' hearts: "FEMA center closed due to weather," they read. The signs were taped up at disaster recovery centers in the city, meaning that residents who trekked there for hurricane relief were out of luck...
NY, NJ Forced to
Nov 7, 2012 11:23 AM CST
NY, NJ Forced to Evacuate
Nor'easter expected to bring snow from Maryland to Maine
- The Nor'easter threatening the already-battered Atlantic Coast is weakening , but New York and New Jersey are still ordering evacuations ahead of the storm, which is already pelting Washington with ice and stirring seas as high as 7.5 feet off New York. In New York City, parks and beaches...
Nov 7, 2012 5:02 AM CST
But Atlantic coast can still expect strong winds
- Weather experts have good news for beleaguered northeast coastal residents: A new storm that threatened to complicate Hurricane Sandy cleanup efforts now looks like it will be weaker than expected. As the nor'easter moves up the Atlantic coast from Florida it now is expected to veer farther offshore than...
More Flights Canceled
Ahead of Nor'easter
Nov 6, 2012 5:56 PM CST
More Flights Canceled Ahead of Nor'easter
United grounding 500; other airlines considering
- The upcoming nor'easter sounds yet more ominous: Airlines are once again canceling flights in the Northeast in anticipation of the coastal storm, just a week after canceling more than 23,000 flights in the same area because of superstorm Sandy. United Airlines is canceling around 500 flights out of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Lawyer: School Officials Gave Shooter Bag Holding His Gun
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.