Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Washington DC statehood
House Passes Bill to Make
DC the 51st State
Apr 22, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
House Passes Bill to Make DC the 51st State
The measure looks doomed in the Senate, but advocates cite momentum for the cause
- 51 states? The idea became a smidge closer to reality on Thursday when the House passed a measure to bestow statehood on the District of Columbia, reports the Hill . Now, however, comes the hard part. Coverage:
The bill passed the House 216-208, but it faces monumental odds in the Senate,
For the First Time, the House
Approves Statehood for DC
Jun 26, 2020 4:06 PM CDT
For the First Time, the House Approves Statehood for DC
Senate Republicans remain opposed to the idea
- The House approved a bill Friday to make the District of Columbia the 51st state, saying Congress has both the moral obligation and constitutional authority to ensure that the city's 700,000 residents are allowed full voting rights, no longer subject to "taxation without representation.'' Lawmakers...
Nov 9, 2016 9:21 AM CST
DC Votes for Statehood
Drafted constitution now goes before Congress for approval—but it's a tough road
- A push to make Washington, DC, the nation's 51st state forged ahead Tuesday with voters in the district giving a thumbs-up to the initiative in an Election Day referendum, the
reports. Per NBC Washington , 86% of DC voters approved the referendum. "With massive turnout, District residents...
DC Picks Name
for Statehood Bid
Jun 30, 2016 5:11 AM CDT
DC Picks Name for Statehood Bid
Changing 'New Columbia' might be 51st state's 1st task
- America could have a new state called New Columbia by this time next year if voters in Washington, DC, choose statehood this fall and Congress allows it. The name—first chosen during a statehood bid in 1982—was approved this week by a statehood commission that included Mayor Muriel Bowser...
Mayor: We'll Vote
on Making DC a State
Apr 15, 2016 12:29 PM CDT
Mayor: We'll Vote on Making DC a State
She says residents' "rights are stolen" without statehood
- Washington DC mayor Muriel Bowser announced plans for a citywide vote in November to make DC the country's 51st state , the
reports. “We will not stop until we achieve full statehood,”
quotes Bowser as saying Friday. The mayor argues that DC residents' "...
DC Home Rule
Jul 21, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
Obama Backs DC Home Rule
President calls that question 'an easy one'
- President Obama on DC home rule? "I'm in DC, so I'm for it," he said today at a Washington public school, DCist reports. In his first statements openly supporting home rule, he argued that DC residents pay taxes and "should be represented like everyone else,...
The US' 51st State:
Dec 20, 2012 7:50 AM CST
The US' 51st State: New Columbia?
Sen. Joe Lieberman introduces bill, but little time left to pass
- Is it time at last to create a 51st state? No, not Canada. Four senators introduced legislation yesterday to turn Washington, DC, into the state of "New Columbia," reports Buzzfeed . Federal buildings and the mall would remain under Congressional control, but the rest of the city would get...
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.