Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US: Russia's Third Harassment
Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Jul 8, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
US: Russia's Third Harassment Went On for Almost 2 Hours
Follow the standards of a professional air force over Syria, general again urges
- The Defense Department said Russian fighter jets harassed US drones over Syria for nearly two hours on Friday, the third time this week the nations' forces had a close encounter. "Russian aircraft flew 18 unprofessional close passes that caused the MQ-9s to react to avoid unsafe situations," US...
Russia: American Is
Suspected of Spying
Jan 21, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Russia: American Is Suspected of Spying
State Department says it hasn't been informed
- Russia's Federal Security Service said Thursday it has initiated an espionage case against a US citizen but did not name the person or specify whether they were in custody. In a brief statement, the FSB service said the American is "suspected of collecting intelligence information on biological topics...
Release May Be a Reward for
Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
Dec 8, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
Arms dealer gave US no information, and his release could be his reward, analysts say
- Russia had made clear that the release of arms dealer Viktor Bout was important to the government. In July, his US lawyer decreed that "no Americans will be exchanged unless Viktor Bout is sent home." It's not entirely clear why his release—achieved Thursday in a deal...
Russia Says Inmate Swap
Has Become More Likely
Nov 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Russia Says Inmate Swap Has Become More Likely
A day after Griner is put in a penal colony, diplomat expresses confidence about getting arms dealer back
- A Russian official said Friday that the likelihood of a prisoner exchange with the US has improved, a day after his government imprisoned American athlete Brittney Griner in a penal colony. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Russia wants a trade that would have the US return arms trafficker Viktor...
Trade to Russia
Jul 27, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
US Suggests Trade to Russia for Griner, Whelan
Blinken says he hopes to discuss the deal with Lavrov this week
- The Biden administration has settled on a proposal for Russia, offering to trade an imprisoned Russian arms trafficker for Brittney Griner and Paul Whelan. President Biden has agreed to the exchange of detainees, which has been under discussion for months, despite the Justice Department's opposition to such deals, CNN...
On Russia's Latest
'Stop List': Biden's Family
Jun 28, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
On Russia's Latest 'Stop List': Biden's Family
First lady Jill Biden, president's daughter Ashley are banned from entering the country
- Russia on Tuesday announced it was banning the wife and daughter of President Biden from entering the country, in response to widening sanctions against Russia. The nation's Foreign Ministry said 25 names were being added to the country's "stop list," including Biden's wife Jill and...
A Line From JFK About
the Cold War Is Back in Play
Apr 26, 2022 8:46 AM CDT
A Line From JFK About the Cold War Is Back in Play
US is shifting tactics on Russia, now faces a 'long twilight struggle' that could last years
- After visiting Ukraine over the weekend, US defense chief Lloyd Austin declared that he wants to see "Russia weakened to the degree that it can’t do the kinds of things that it has done in invading Ukraine,” per the
Wall Street Journal
. It was no off-the-cuff comment,...
398 House Members
Apr 13, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Russia Sanctions 398 House Members
'Well there goes my Spring Break plans!'
- Russia slapped sanctions on 398 House lawmakers Wednesday, drawing reactions ranging from defiance to amusement. Russia released a list of hundreds of lawmakers from both parties, saying they would face "mirror" sanctions in retaliation for US sanctions placed on hundreds of Russian lawmakers last month, the Hill reports. "...
Biden: Putin Line
Was an Expression
of 'Moral Outrage'
Mar 28, 2022 3:42 PM CDT
Biden: Putin Line Was an Expression of 'Moral Outrage'
President says 'nobody believes' he was calling for ousting Russia's president
- Two days after causing concern around the world by saying Russian President Vladimir Putin should not remain in office, President Biden said his outburst was a personal moral assessment, not a declaration of US policy. Nor was it a slipup, the president told reporters, per the
New York Times
Feb 28, 2022 6:43 PM CST
US Asks 12 Russian Diplomats to Leave
UN ambassador finds explanation inadequate
- US officials accused 12 Russian diplomats at the United Nations of "espionage activities" on Monday and asked them to leave the country. The US said the expulsions had been in the works for months, long before Russia invaded Ukraine, CNN reports. But Vassily Nebenzia, Russian ambassador to the UN,...
Biden, Putin Warn
Each Other on Ukraine
Dec 30, 2021 7:25 PM CST
Biden, Putin Warn Each Other on Ukraine
US offers a choice between diplomacy and deterrence, as Russia calls sanctions a mistake
- In a 50-minute phone call Thursday afternoon, President Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the choices they face concerning the standoff on the Russia-Ukraine border. The tone was serious, both sides said, with Axios reporting that a US official called the talk "substantive" and Kremlin officials said it...
White House: Biden Called
Putin With a Warning
Jul 9, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
White House: Biden Called Putin With a Warning
President said US will take 'any necessary action' to stop Russian hackers
- President Biden called Vladimir Putin on Friday to deliver a warning about cyberattacks, reports Axios . Biden told Putin the US is poised to retaliate after another ransomware incident blamed on Russian hackers, according to a White House statement. “Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action...
Here Are the Gifts
Biden Gave Putin
Jun 17, 2021 2:24 AM CDT
Here Are the Gifts Biden Gave Putin
Also: an awkward slip of the tongue on POTUS' part
- President Biden apparently had a slip of the tongue Wednesday during his news conference following his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin. This tweet by CNN's chief White House correspondent, Kaitlan Collins, got quite a bit of attention: "President Biden refers to President Putin as President Trump, then...
'No Breaking of Bread'
During Biden-Putin Meeting
Jun 16, 2021 6:59 AM CDT
'No Breaking of Bread' During Biden-Putin Meeting
What to expect at their Geneva summit
- The day has arrived: US President Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin shook hands Wednesday in Geneva, Switzerland, kicking off what's expected to be a four- or five-hour meeting—or even longer, the
New York Times
reports. But there will be "no breaking of bread," as no...
He Used to Guard Biden.
Parents Ask for Return Favor
Jun 14, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
He Used to Guard Biden. Parents Ask for Return Favor
Family of Trevor Reed ask president to push Putin to get son out of Russian prison
- The parents of a former Marine who is imprisoned in Russia are pinning their hopes on a summit between presidents Biden and Putin Wednesday. Paula and Joey Reed are concerned for their son, Trevor Reed , who was sentenced to nine years in prison last summer, and hope Biden, whom Reed...
Biden to Meet With
the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
May 25, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Biden to Meet With the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
President, Vladimir Putin will get together next month in Switzerland
- President Biden will meet face to face with Vladimir Putin, the man he recently labeled a "killer," next month in Switzerland. The meeting will take place June 16 in Geneva, and the
New York Times
expects it to focus heavily on nuclear arms. But the pair should have...
US, Russian Diplomats Meet
as Feds Announce Sanctions
May 20, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
US, Russian Diplomats Meet as Feds Announce Sanctions
They sparred politely on sidelines of Iceland summit
- Top diplomats from the United States and Russia sparred politely in Iceland during their first face-to-face encounter of the Biden administration, which came as ties between the nations have deteriorated sharply in recent months. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Russia’s longtime Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov spoke frankly but...
Biden: I Told
Putin It Could've
Apr 15, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Biden: I Told Putin It Could've Been Worse
US prefers stability in the relationship, president says
- President Biden said Thursday he could've gone further in imposing sanctions against Russia over its hacking attacks last year—and Biden said he made that clear to President Vladimir Putin. But that wouldn't serve the long-term US goal, NBC reports. "The United States is not looking to...
US Imposes Sanctions
on Russia Over Hacking
Apr 15, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
US Imposes Sanctions on Russia Over Hacking
Biden administration takes first retaliatory step over cyber attacks
- The Biden administration on Thursday announced the expulsion of 10 Russian diplomats and sanctions against nearly three dozen people and companies as it moved to hold the Kremlin accountable for interference in last year's presidential election and the hacking of federal agencies. The actions, foreshadowed for weeks by the...
Mar 18, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Russia Says US Relations 'Under Threat of Collapse'
Putin responds to Biden's 'Killer' claim: 'It takes one to know one'
- President Biden's comment that Russian President Vladimir Putin is a killer has "sparked the biggest crisis in bilateral relations in years," per AFP , as apparently showcased by Putin's response. "It takes one to know one," Putin said Thursday in remarks aired on Russian state...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.