Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Navy Plane Overshoots
Hawaii Runway, Goes Into Bay
Nov 21, 2023 12:30 AM CST
US Navy Plane Overshoots Hawaii Runway, Goes Into Bay
All 9 aboard survived the incident
- A US Navy plane overshot a runway and went into a bay in Hawaii on Monday, and when the Honolulu Emergency Medical Services Department got to the scene, military officials told the emergency workers that all nine people aboard made it safely to shore with no injuries, spokesperson Shayne Enright...
This Is the Safest
State in America
Oct 23, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
This Is the Safest State in America
Vermont tops WalletHub's list, while Louisiana comes in last
- After the upheaval of the pandemic, it's soothing to get back to "normal." But that normality has brought us back to Earth on many other issues we're still contending with, including general safety, a term that can encompass many different forms. To see which states keep...
Unshared Wildfire Plan in
Hawaii Only Raises Questions
Oct 6, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Unshared Wildfire Plan in Hawaii Only Raises Questions
Regulators weren't shown document until last week
- Hawaiian Electric's chief executive reassured a congressional committee last week that the utility has a major wildfire mitigation plan in place, one that was completed in January after four years of development. Shelee Kimura's testimony, and the document, have raised a series of questions from regulators, including, "...
Woman Who Ran Through
Burning Maui Field Dies
Oct 2, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Woman Who Ran Through Burning Maui Field Dies
Laurie Allen, who escaped Lahaina's wildfire 7 weeks ago, succumbed to her injuries Friday
- A woman who escaped Hawaii's Lahaina wildfire by running through a flaming field has died after spending more than seven weeks in a hospital burn unit. Laurie Allen died Friday at Straub Medical Center in Honolulu, according to a GoFundMe page set up for her and her husband, Perry...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
Symbol of Hope
Emerges in Lahaina
Sep 21, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Symbol of Hope Emerges in Lahaina
Hawaiian town's scorched banyan tree sprouts new leaves after intensive treatment
- Among a sea of brown, black, and gray, a hint of green in the scorched Maui town of Lahaina is cause for celebration. Locals have spotted new growth on the 150-year-old banyan tree that serves as a landmark at the center of the town largely destroyed in the Aug. 8...
China Uses Hawaii Fires
in 'Disinformation Wars'
Sep 17, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
China Uses Hawaii Fires in 'Disinformation Wars'
Chinese accounts spread conspiracy about the testing of a US 'weather weapon'
- The deadly fires across Maui last month were triggered by a secret "weather weapon" tested by the US government on its own citizens—or so suspected Chinese operatives want you to believe. Researchers from Microsoft and other organizations have described an organized disinformation campaign out of China that aims...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano
Comes to Life Again
Sep 11, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Comes to Life Again
One of the world's most active volcanoes began erupting Sunday after a 2-month break
- For those keeping track at home, it might seem like Hawaii can't catch a break lately : Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes in the world, began erupting after a two-month pause, displaying glowing lava that's a safe distance from people and structures in a national park on...
Oprah, the Rock: 'This Is What
You Can Do' to Help Maui
Sep 1, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Oprah, the Rock: 'This Is What You Can Do' to Help Maui
Stars announce fund to help displaced residents
- Oprah Winfrey and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson have committed $10 million to make direct payments to people on Maui who are unable to return to their homes because of the wildfires, through a new fund they announced this week. The People's Fund of Maui will give $1,200...
'Red Flag Warning'
for All of Hawaii
Aug 31, 2023 12:36 PM CDT
NWS Issues 'Red Flag Warning' for All of Hawaii
Weather agency says wind gusts, low humidity have upped risk of rapid-spreading fires on islands
- The National Weather Service on Wednesday warned that gusty winds and low humidity have increased the risk that fires could spread rapidly in the western parts of each Hawaiian island, three weeks after a deadly blaze tore through a coastal Maui town during a similar alert. But the agency said...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Maui's Number of Missing
Aug 26, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Maui's Number of Missing Changes Dramatically
Of the 388 people verified as missing, more than 100 say they're safe
- Almost as soon as Maui's number of missing changed dramatically, it may have changed dramatically again. The AP reports that within a day of officials releasing the names of the 388 people who were verified as still missing Thursday, more than 100 of those names might be able to...
TikTok Star After Cliff Fall:
'I Thought I Was Going to Die'
Aug 18, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
TikTok Star After Cliff Fall: 'I Thought I Was Going to Die'
Caleb Coffee suffered multiple broken bones, faces 'long road to recovery'
- A young TikTok star has survived a fall from a cliff in Hawaii in what his family describes as a "miracle." Caleb Coffee, 18, was hiking with friends Wednesday when he tumbled, falling 60 to 80 feet onto a bed of lava rocks, according to a GoFundMe page....
Lahaina Residents Fear
Rebuild Will Shut Them Out
Aug 13, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
Lahaina Residents Fear Rebuild Will Shut Them Out
The median price of a Maui house already is $1.2 million
- Richy Palalay so closely identifies with his Maui hometown that he had a tattoo artist permanently ink "Lahaina Grown" on his forearms when he was 16. But a chronic housing shortage and an influx of second-home buyers and wealthy transplants have been displacing residents like Palalay who give Lahaina...
Report: Maui Officials Didn't
Use Sirens to Alert Lahaina
Aug 12, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Report: Maui Officials Didn't Use Sirens to Alert Lahaina
Communications efforts are now under scrutiny after wildfire that has left at least 80 dead
- In the hours before a wildfire engulfed the Hawaiian town of Lahaina, Maui County officials failed to activate sirens that would have warned the entire population of the approaching flames and instead relied on a series of sometimes confusing social-media posts that reached a much smaller audience. Power and cellular...
Brace for Hawaii Death Toll
to Rise Quickly
Aug 11, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Brace for Hawaii Death Toll to Rise Quickly
Rescuers have yet to be able to search inside buidlings
- The death toll from the Hawaiian wildfires stood at 55 on Friday afternoon, but it's expected to multiply in the near future. The reason? Authorities have not yet been able to search
the scores of burned-out buildings. "We're waiting for FEMA to help with that search,...
Amid Maui Destruction, the
'Heartbeat of Lahaina' Endures
Aug 11, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Amid Maui Destruction, the 'Heartbeat of Lahaina' Endures
Historic 150-year-old banyan tree is scorched but still standing—for now
- The wildfire that's been tearing across the island of Maui has proven devastating, with people forced to leap into the ocean to escape the smoke and flames and a growing death toll of more than 50 . The city of Lahaina, once the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom, was especially...
Survivors in Maui Kept Running
Because 'the Fire Didn't Stop'
Aug 10, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Survivors in Maui Kept Running Because 'the Fire Didn't Stop'
Death toll climbs and will rise again, governor says
- The official death toll in the wildfire that swept through the Hawaiian island of Maui rose to 53 on Thursday, and Gov. Josh Green said it will go higher. "I'll tell you, by the time this disaster is all described, I'm sure there will be dozens of...
Death Toll Hits 36 in Maui Fires
Aug 10, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
Death Toll Hits 36 in Maui Fires
'All of Lahaina is burnt to a crisp. It's like an apocalypse'
- At least 36 people have died in wildfires in Hawaii, officials say, making the Maui fires one of the deadliest disasters in the state's history. The office of Maui Mayor Richard Blissen confirmed the death toll Wednesday night and said it is likely to rise, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.