Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
World's Largest Active Volcano
Erupts for First Time Since '84
Nov 28, 2022 8:23 AM CST
World's Largest Active Volcano Erupts for First Time Since '84
Hawaii's Mauna Loa breaks its silence
- Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano has erupted for the first time in nearly four decades, reports NBC News . The eruption at the world's largest active volcano—the first one since 1984—began about about 11:30pm Sunday, according to the US Geological Survey. So far, the eruption is contained...
Living Near Volcano
Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
Oct 28, 2022 11:38 AM CDT
Hawaii: People Living Near Volcano Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
There are ominous signs at Mauna Loa
- Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the world’s largest active volcano, Mauna Loa, is sending signals that it may erupt. Scientists say an eruption isn’t imminent, but they are on alert because of a recent spike in earthquakes at the volcano’s summit. Experts...
'That's the Girl! That's
the Amber Alert Girl!'
Sep 21, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
'That's the Girl! That's the Amber Alert Girl!'
Disturbing details emerge on alleged kidnapping of rescued Mikell Debina, 15, on Hawaii's Big Island
- A 15-year-old girl allegedly snatched off a beach on the island of Hawaii is now safe and sound once more, and details are emerging on what may have happened during the 24 hours she was missing. A release from the Hawaii Police Department reported that Mikella Debina was found in...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Cops: DNA Links State's Former
Deputy AG to 1972 Murder
Sep 16, 2022 1:08 PM CDT
Cops: DNA Links State's Former Deputy AG to 1972 Murder
Police say Nevada resident Tudor Chirila Jr. stabbed Hawaii teen more than 60 times
- A former deputy Nevada attorney general who ran for the state Supreme Court and was later affiliated with the infamous Mustang Ranch brothel has been arrested in Reno as a suspect in a 1972 homicide in Hawaii, per the AP . Tudor Chirila Jr., 77, is being held without bail on...
Hawaii Ambulance Mysteriously
Goes Up in Flames, Killing 1
Aug 26, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Hawaii Ambulance Mysteriously Goes Up in Flames, Killing 1
And critically injuring a paramedic
- A patient died and a paramedic was critically injured when their ambulance caught fire outside a hospital in Hawaii, emergency officials said. "We had an ambulance tonight for reasons we don't understand catch on fire, possibly explode, prior to entering the hospital," said Dr. Jim Ireland, the...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Protective Monk Seal Attacks
Swimmer Who Got Too Close
Jul 26, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Protective Monk Seal Attacks Swimmer Who Got Too Close
The 60-year-old woman suffered lacerations to her face, arm, and back
- A swimmer at a beach in Waikiki was injured this weekend after encountering an endangered Hawaiian monk seal known as Rocky and her young pup. The Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources said in a statement that the victim is a 60-year-old elementary school teacher from California. A witness...
The Waves That Hit Hawaii's
South Shores Were Historic
Jul 19, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
The Waves That Hit Hawaii's South Shores Were Historic
Strong south swell led to 20-foot waves
- "The highest south shore surf in more than 25 years delivered as predicted," the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources wrote on Facebook Sunday night. The agency had predicted waves measuring 15 to 20 feet would hit the south shores of each island over the weekend due...
for Leak That Poisoned Water
Jul 1, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
Pearl Harbor trouble stemmed from leak at Hawaii fuel storage facility
- The Navy has admitted that a very long list of errors and failures led to a fuel leak that poisoned thousands of people in Hawaii. A long-awaited report released Thursday sets out what the
calls "operational and leadership failures, communication breakdowns and cavalier attitudes toward oversight" that...
Beach Tip Left Me
May 9, 2022 2:50 AM CDT
Tourist: Hawaii Hotel Employee's Beach Tip Left Me Paralyzed
Man's lawsuit ultimately does not go his way, however
- A visitor to Hawaii sued the hotel he and his family stayed at on Maui because, he claimed, the beach recommendation they received at the hotel ultimately got him paralyzed. After years in the court system, the case was ultimately decided in the hotel's favor recently, KHON2 reports. The...
'Oh, Welcome Little Thing':
Rare Birth Captured in Hawaii
Apr 20, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
'Oh, Welcome Little Thing': Rare Birth Captured in Hawaii
There are only 1,400 Hawaiian monk seals in the world
- Images of a Hawaiian monk seal being born on an Oahu beach have been captured on camera—a fact made more notable because it's an endangered species. An employee of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources shot video and photos of the pup emerging from the mother...
'The Flash' Arrested
in Hawaii Again
Apr 20, 2022 12:53 AM CDT
'The Flash' Arrested in Hawaii Again
For the second time in weeks, Ezra Miller arrested
- For the second time in less than a month, Ezra Miller has been arrested in Hawaii. The actor, who plays the Flash in DC Comics films and Credence Barebone in
universe films, allegedly got violent after being asked to leave a private gathering at a home in Pahoa,...
Mar 29, 2022 11:08 AM CDT
'The Flash' Arrested at Karaoke Bar
Ezra Miller charged with disorderly conduct and harassment
- Ezra Miller, the actor known for portraying The Flash in the DC Extended Universe films and Credence Barebone in the
, is facing disorderly conduct and harassment charges following an arrest in Hawaii. The 29-year-old, who uses they/them pronouns, reportedly acted erratically at a karaoke...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
Affair With Patient.
Police Say Her Husband
Took Fatal Revenge
Feb 17, 2022 2:02 AM CST
Acupuncturist Had Affair With Patient. Police Say Her Husband Took Fatal Revenge
Hawaii man is charged with murder
- Hawaii acupuncturist Jon Tokuhara treated Eric Thompson's wife for back pain and fertility issues, and the two ended up having an affair starting in May of last year, authorities say. By July, Thompson had found out, and his wife texted Tokuhara that they needed to end things. Last month,...
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took
Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Feb 9, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Both men expected to plead guilty to taking bribes
- A Hawaii state senator and a state representative took bribes including envelopes of cash, Las Vegas hotel rooms, and New Orleans casino chips in exchange for shaping legislation that would benefit a company involved in publicly financed cesspool conversion projects, according to federal allegations filed in court. Former Senate Majority...
Germany Is Returning Remains
of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
Feb 7, 2022 2:16 PM CST
Germany Is Returning Remains of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
'Human remains from colonial contexts have no place in our museums and universities'
- The body overseeing Berlin's museums will hand over Hawaiian ancestral remains collected by a German naturalist in the 19th century to authorities in Hawaii. The Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation said Monday that the remains of 32 individuals, known as "iwi kupuna," will be handed over Friday to...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.