Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Family of Dahmer Victim
Angry at Netflix Over Series
Sep 27, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Family of Dahmer Victim Angry at Netflix Over Series
'They're just making money off of this tragedy'
- Netflix says
Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
, a new crime drama series chronicling the life of the serial killer who killed 17 men and boys over 13 years, centers "around the underserved victims and their communities impacted by the systemic racism and institutional failures of the police." But...
It's a Draw in Suit
Over 'Sexist' Remark
Sep 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
It's a Draw in Suit Over 'Sexist' Remark in
Netflix, Nona Gaprindashvili agree to settle defamation claim
- Netflix had the chance to publicly apologize to Nona Gaprindashvili. It didn't, and as a result faced a $5 million defamation lawsuit from the Georgian chess master, which it has now agreed to settle. Financial details weren't disclosed, per Deadline , though a lawyer for 81-year-old Gaprindashvili says Gaprindashvili'...
Gulf Nations Tell Netflix
to Remove 'Offensive Content'
Sep 6, 2022 6:26 PM CDT
Gulf Nations Tell Netflix to Remove 'Offensive Content'
Request involves programs that 'contradict Islamic and societal values'
- Gulf Arab countries on Tuesday asked Netflix to remove "offensive content" on the streaming service, apparently targeting programs that show gays and lesbians, per the AP. A joint statement issued on behalf of a committee of the Gulf Cooperation Council made the request, saying the unspecified programs "contradict...
Over 2 Series for
Aug 30, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Netflix Sued Over 2 Series for Very Opposite Reasons
One because show is allegedly false, the other because it's allegedly true
- Netflix is being sued by two different people over two of its shows, though for very different reasons:
Rachel Williams is the real-life ex-friend of con artist socialite Anna Sorokin , and she says the
series about the case uses her real name and background but
Bad News for Oklahoma
Murder Convict of Netflix Fame
Aug 30, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Bad News for Oklahoma Murder Convict of Netflix Fame
Tommy Ward's 1989 conviction in murder of Donna Haraway is reinstated
- The murder conviction of a prisoner featured in the Netflix documentary series
The Innocent Man
will stand after all because he waited too long to raise concerns about suppressed evidence, a court has ruled. Tommy Ward, convicted in the 1984 murder of 24-year-old convenience store clerk Donna Haraway in Oklahoma,...
Inside the 'Real Tragedy'
of Manti Te'o Catfish Hoax
Aug 21, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Inside the 'Real Tragedy' of Manti Te'o Catfish Hoax
Netflix doc shows 'just how easy it was for him to get hoodwinked,' writes SI's Jimmy Traina
- In 2013, the sports world was turned upside down when Deadspin reported that the girlfriend of Notre Dame football star Manti Te'o, who was said to have died of leukemia, didn't exist . Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, who has since come out as a trans woman named Naya, admitted to creating...
Actor Gets Big
Aug 2, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Actor Gets Big Defenders After Criticism on Monroe Role
Some aren't buying Ana de Armas as Marilyn, but late icon's estate, Brad Pitt are all in
- A trailer was released last week for
, Netflix's upcoming biopic on Marilyn Monroe, and not everyone was buying the sneak-peek performance of Ana de Armas in the lead role, with criticism especially directed at the fact that the Cuban-Spanish actress's accent doesn't especially sound like the...
Netflix Lost Nearly a Million
Subscribers Last Quarter
Jul 20, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
Netflix Lost Nearly a Million Subscribers Last Quarter
Still, that's a lot better than what it had forecast
- Netflix lost subscribers for the second consecutive quarter, this time dropping 970,000, it announced Tuesday. The streaming company had forecast a loss of 2 million, but the
Los Angeles Times
reports the release of a new season of
in two parts—the first half released May 27...
Netflix's Priciest Movie
Is Getting Lousy Reviews
Jul 15, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Netflix's Priciest Movie Is Getting Lousy Reviews
'The Gray Man' takes from other action films, lacks 'a narrative engine,' critics say
- Ryan Gosling returns to the big screen for the first time in years in
The Gray Man
, reportedly the most expensive movie Netflix has ever made. Based on the first in a series of books by Mark Greaney, it follows an off-the-books CIA assassin gone rogue. So did the reported...
Netflix Has More News
on Ad-Supported Tier
Jul 14, 2022 1:17 AM CDT
Netflix Has More News on Ad-Supported Tier
It's teaming up with Microsoft for the lower-cost option
- The move Netflix long resisted is getting closer and closer: After announcing in April that it was considering adding a lower-priced, ad-supported subscription tier, the streaming company announced Wednesday that it is teaming with Microsoft to make that idea a reality, Deadline reports. "Today we are pleased to announce...
Learns His Fate
Jul 7, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Star Jerry Harris Learns His Fate
He's sentenced to 12 years in sex solicitation case
- A federal judge Wednesday sentenced Jerry Harris, a former star of the Netflix documentary series
, to 12 years in prison for coercing teenage boys to send him obscene photos and videos of themselves and soliciting sex from minors at cheerleading competitions. US District Judge Manish Shah also ordered that...
Critic Has a Beef
Jul 1, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Critic Has a Beef With
It's grown too sprawling, writes Stuart Heritage, who wonders whether it counts as TV anymore
- Fans of
waited years for Season 4, and so far, most everyone seems to like what they see. The season's last two episodes were released this week, and as he prepares to watch,
writer Stuart Heritage hopes to witness an abject bloodbath. First, however, he’ll...
Survivor Doesn't Blame
Netflix for Deadly Crash
Jun 23, 2022 11:08 AM CDT
Survivor Doesn't Blame Netflix for Deadly Crash
Yeray Albelda lost 2 friends in Mexico crash
- Yeray Albelda is hurting physically and emotionally after the crash that killed two fellow actors in an upcoming Netflix show—but he doesn't blame Netflix or production company Redrum. The crash in Mexico last Thursday killed two of his close friends: Raymundo Garduno Cruz and Juan Francisco Gonzalez Aguilar,...
Two Actors in New Netflix
Series Killed in Crash
Jun 19, 2022 7:35 AM CDT
Two Actors in New Netflix Series Killed in Crash
Six others from 'The Chosen One' injured in Mexico
- Two actors working on a new Netflix series were killed and six others injured in Mexico when their van crashed, reports
. The men killed were identified as Raymundo Garduño Cruz and Juan Francisco González Aguilar, though Aguilar is known professionally as Paco Mufote, per
Norm Macdonald's Posthumous
Special Unlike Any Other
May 31, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Norm Macdonald's Posthumous Special Unlike Any Other
It includes a 'televised wake in miniature'
- Norm Macdonald didn't plan on filming his last comedy special in his living room. It was 2020 and the secret cancer patient was testing material for his next Netflix special. He was also about to undergo a major procedure. So he sat down to record the material in case...
Is Back, but
With a Warning
May 27, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Is Back, but With a Warning
In wake of Uvalde shooting, disclaimer notes 'graphic violence involving children' in Season 4 opener
- It's the moment that
fans have been waiting for: The spooky series is back on Netflix as of Friday for Season 4, though viewers in the US watching last season's recap trailer that plays right before the new one will notice a special disclaimer.
Comic's Old Clip Mocking
Ricky Gervais Gains Steam
May 27, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Comic's Old Clip Mocking Ricky Gervais Gains Steam
UK's James Acaster slammed fellow comedian in 2019 for mocking transgender community
- "I feel like some [stand-up] out there is doing a lacerating 15 minutes on superstar transphobic comedians and we should be seeing that." That was a tweet earlier this week by TV writer Bob Schooley, a reference to comics such as Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais , who've...
Amid Backlash, Gervais
Defends 'Taboo' Jokes
May 25, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Amid Backlash, Gervais Defends 'Taboo' Jokes
Comedy helps 'get us through stuff,' he says after criticism of trans jokes in Netflix special
- Ricky Gervais is making no apologies amid a backlash over trans jokes in his new Netflix special. But he tells the BBC that the point of comedy is to help people deal with dicey topics. "I think that's what comedy is for, really—to get us through stuff,...
4 Minutes Into
May 24, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
4 Minutes Into New Show, Gervais Makes Trans Jokes
Comedian is taking flak online over Netflix special
- Ricky Gervais' new comedy special just began streaming on Netflix, but it already has generated quite a backlash on social media. The reason? Gervais reels off a series of jokes about trans people just four minutes in. As
recounts, Gervais begins by talking about "old-fashioned women, the ones...
Netflix Lays Off
May 17, 2022 5:54 PM CDT
Netflix Lays Off Another 150, Including Directors
Company is dealing with subscriber loss for the first time
- The hits keep coming at Netflix. After announcing last month that it had lost subscribers, the streaming service laid off employees in animation and at its Tudum website. Content has been cut, with projects in the works being canceled. On Monday, 150 more employees were laid off, per Vulture . "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Hurricane Ian's Approach 'Near Worst-Case' for Tampa
Fetterman Explains Tattoos After Tucker Carlson's Rant
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.