Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 27, 2023 3:30 AM CST
Contestants Threaten Lawsuit
Contestants on Netflix's spin-off game show say they suffered injuries while filming
- Contestants on
Squid Game: The Challenge,
Netflix's spin-off reality competition show based on the mega-hit series from South Korea, say they were harmed while filming and are threatening the streaming company and producers of the show with a lawsuit. Two contestants say that while filming in cold weather in...
Actor: I Had No
Support Amid Psychotic Breaks
Nov 1, 2023 8:12 AM CDT
Actor: I Had No Support Amid Psychotic Breaks
Ruby Barker faults Netflix, Shondaland
- Ruby Barker felt her star rise as she appeared in Netflix's smash hit
, but it was not an enjoyable time. As she reveals in a podcast interview, the British actor suffered not one but two psychotic breaks after filming the first season of the period drama, which saw...
of Its Prices
Oct 18, 2023 9:38 PM CDT
Netflix Is Raising Some of Its Prices
Premium, legacy basic plans go up $2
- Netflix is raising prices Wednesday, one of several changes welcomed by investors and Wall Street analysts. Consumers may be less thrilled. The basic streaming plan, which new customers can't have, will go from $9.99 per month to $11.99; that's the bottom plan without ads. The premium...
Netflix Plans to Launch
'Netflix House' Destinations
Oct 13, 2023 10:52 AM CDT
Netflix Plans to Launch 'Netflix House' Destinations
They'll feature dining, shopping, live experiences based on shows like 'Stranger Things'
- After the success of pop-up fan experiences based on shows including
, Netflix is planning to launch some permanent destinations. Josh Simon, the company's vice president of consumer products, tells Bloomberg that the "Netflix House" locations will feature a mix of dining, retail,...
Beckhams Open Up About
David's Alleged Affairs
Oct 4, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Beckhams Open Up About David's Alleged Affairs
It was 'the most unhappy I have ever been in my entire life,' Victoria says in Netflix docuseries
- Victoria Beckham opens up about the "hardest period" of her marriage to retired soccer legend David Beckham in a Netflix documentary premiering Wednesday. The fashion designer and Spice Girl acknowledges speculation that her husband had an affair while playing for Spain's Real Madrid in 2003—rumors that the...
It's a 'Bittersweet'
Day for Netflix
Sep 29, 2023 5:52 AM CDT
It's a 'Bittersweet' Day for Netflix
Streaming service mails out its last DVDs to subscribers, who'll be allowed to keep final discs
- Friday's the big day for Netflix's remaining DVD subscribers, as the company's five US distribution centers ship out the red-and-white envelopes bearing discs for the last time. And those customers will be getting a bonus: They'll be allowed to keep up to 10 of those final...
Choosing a Show to Watch
Takes More Time Than Ever
Sep 2, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Choosing a Show to Watch Takes More Time Than Ever
New report reveals viewers take more than 10 minutes to find a show on streaming sites
- If you spend too much time scrolling through Netflix, you're in good company, a study by Nielsen's Gracenote has found.
breaks down its 2023 State of Play report, which notes that while people have more choices than ever to stream content digitally, it comes with some...
With Actors, Writers on Strike,
Netflix Advertises $900K AI Job
Jul 27, 2023 5:11 AM CDT
With Actors, Writers on Strike, Netflix Advertises $900K AI Job
Company seeks to increase the 'leverage of our machine learning platform'
- With actors and writers on strike together for the first time since 1960, a job listing from Netflix is raising eyebrows. The company is offering up to $900,000 for an artificial intelligence-related job that involves increasing the "leverage of our machine learning platform," the
Netflix Says Crackdown
Has Paid Off
Jul 19, 2023 5:31 PM CDT
Netflix Says Crackdown Has Paid Off
Springtime rise in subscribers was biggest since pandemic
- The crackdown on password-sharing appears to have paid off handsomely for Netflix. The company said Wednesday that it added 5.9 million subscribers in the second quarter of this year—which ended before the actors' strike began—and revenue was up 3% year-on-year, the
New York Times
reports. The springtime...
Critics Slam Netflix for
Jun 29, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Critics Slam Netflix for Bringing Back
Insiders say it's a coincidence, not an attempt to profit from Titan tragedy
- When Netflix arranged for
to return to the streaming service on July 1, the company probably wasn't expecting people to complain that it was too soon. The company is facing backlash accusing it of trying to profit from the Titan submersible tragedy, with Twitter users calling the move...
Netflix Signups Surged
After Crackdown Began
Jun 9, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Netflix Signups Surged After Crackdown Began
Analytics firm says growth was even stronger than it was in early days of pandemic
- Netflix's crackdown on password sharing might have caused some grumbling—and some digs from Blockbuster , among others—but the move has paid off, according to Antenna , a streaming analytics company. Antenna says that after Netflix started sending users emails about the new rules on May 23, subscriber growth surged...
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia
in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
May 26, 2023 10:36 AM CDT
Blockbuster Ignites Nostalgia in Dig at Netflix's Crackdown
'We didn't care who you shared [our videos] with,' company tweets
- Netflix's crackdown on password sharing is underway, leaving some to wax poetic about yesteryear, when the company promoted the practice as "love." Speaking of nostalgia, here comes Blockbuster to remind us all of the simplicity of Friday night movie rentals shared with family and friends. "A...
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago.
A Netflix Watcher Found Her
in case you missed it
May 20, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
She Was Abducted 6 Years Ago. A Netflix Watcher Found Her
Illinois' Kayla Unbehaun, 15, turns up in North Carolina; mom is arrested
- In November, the Netflix series
featured an episode on family abductions, including the case of Kayla Unbehaun, who vanished from South Elgin, Illinois, at the age of 9 after a visit with her mom, who didn't have custody of her. Nearly six years later, Kayla, now 15,...
Apr 29, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Debate Rages Over Netflix's Black Cleopatra
Some Egyptian experts are fuming over what they say is a false portrayal
- Jada Pinkett Smith, executive producer and narrator of the new Netflix drama-documentary series
, says it was "really important for me" to highlight "stories about Black queens," per the
. The series premiering May 10 certainly portrays the last pharoah of Egypt as Black, with mixed-race...
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in
Movie. He's Not Happy About It
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Netflix Used a Man's Photo in Movie. He's Not Happy About It
Taylor Hazlewood says streaming platform stole his photo from Instagram, insinuated he was a killer
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
, a documentary on Netflix, debuted earlier this year, detailing the rise and fall of Caleb McGillvary, a Canadian who once went viral after helping an assault victim, then was later convicted of murder in an unrelated case. But it was the photo of a completely...
an 'Intellectual Whirlwind'
Apr 21, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Is an 'Intellectual Whirlwind'
Keri Russell shines as Kate Wyler, opposite a 'first-rate' Rufus Sewell
- Five years since she last played a Russian spy in
, Keri Russell is back on TV and killing it.
, an eight-episode Netflix series from showrunner Debora Cahn (
The West Wing
), finds Russell (lead actor and executive producer) on the US side as a longtime State...
Netflix: A Crackdown on
US Password Sharing Is Nigh
Apr 21, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Netflix: A Crackdown on US Password Sharing Is Nigh
Move to paid sharing has been a success in Canada, company says
- American users of Netflix avoided a crackdown on password-sharing longer than users in other countries but change is on the way, the company said this week. Netflix says paid sharing will be rolled out in the US this quarter. Users will be able to add up to two people outside...
Netflix Plans on Ditching
Apr 18, 2023 6:34 PM CDT
Netflix Plans on Ditching DVD-by-Mail Rentals
This marks the end of a service that began 25 years ago
- Netflix announced in a blog post Tuesday that it is stopping its DVD-by-mail rental service, ending an era that began 25 years ago. The company said it will shutter DVD.com, its physical rental division, because diminished demand for physical rentals is making it tough to continue a quality service....
Back Into the
Mar 5, 2023 7:48 AM CST
Chris Rock Brings Jada Back Into the Conversation
Comedian weighs in on Oscars slap in new special
- Chris Rock didn't devote his whole live-streamed show Saturday night to the infamous Oscars slap , but he spoke about the incident more than he has previously. Both Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett Smith ended up as targets in the Netflix show. Some of the lines, via the AP...
of Elvis Will
Feb 6, 2023 6:20 PM CST
Next Voice of Elvis Will Be Matthew McConaughey's
Netflix to roll out animated 'Agent Elvis' in March
- The King of Rock 'n' Roll as a federal agent might seem far-fetched, but it didn't to Elvis. He once went to Washington in hopes of meeting President Nixon, offering his services to the country in exchange for a badge, per
. "I will be here...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.