Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wall Street Has the
Nov 9, 2022 3:41 PM CST
Wall Street Has the Post-Election Blues
Dow drops 647 points, cryptocurrencies plummet
- Wall Street closed sharply lower Wednesday, giving back a big chunk of the gains built in a three-day rally running up to Election Day. The S&P 500 fell 79.54 points, or 2.1%, to 3,748.57. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 646.89 points, or 2%,...
DOJ Recovers Stolen Bitcoin
Once Valued at $3.36B—
in Popcorn Tin
Nov 8, 2022 6:01 AM CST
DOJ Recovers Stolen Bitcoin Once Valued at $3.36B— in Popcorn Tin
It was stolen from Silk Road in 2012, is now only worth about $1B
- Bitcoin valued at $3.36 billion was stolen from the dark web marketplace Silk Road in 2012. A decade later, it's been recovered, though it's lost quite a bit of value since then. The US Department of Justice announced Monday that the stolen cryptocurrency was seized last November,...
He Lost $187M in Bitcoin,
Has Idea How to Get It Back
Aug 3, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
He Lost $187M in Bitcoin, Has Idea How to Get It Back
James Howells' latest plan involves AI
- James Howells' claim to fame is the fortune that he lost. In 2013 the computer engineer accidentally tossed a hard drive containing 8,000 bitcoins. At their current value of about $23,400 a pop, those missing bitcoins are worth roughly $187 million; at their November 2021 peak, it would...
Tesla Sells 3/4
of Its Bitcoin
Jul 21, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
Tesla Sells 3/4 of Its Bitcoin Holdings
Amid ongoing production issues
- Tesla had what the
describes as a "shaky" second quarter, reporting a 32% drop in profit from the first quarter's record levels and having a difficult time meeting demand due to production issues. Amid all this, it has sold 75% of its bitcoin holdings, $936 million worth,...
Dow Jumps 500 Points,
but Is It a 'Dead Cat'?
Jun 21, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Dow Jumps 500 Points, but Is It a 'Dead Cat'?
Market is opening strong, though analysts disagree on whether the rally will be fleeting
- The stock market was making big moves again on Tuesday, but this time in a direction that should make investors happy. The Dow jumped more than 500 points in early trading on Tuesday to reclaim its 30,000 threshold. The rise of 1.6% was eclipsed by the benchmark S&...
Jun 18, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Selloff Pushes Bitcoin Price Below $20K
Other cryptocurrency collapses combine with worries about economy to shake market
- Bitcoin has now lost 72% of its value from its high point in November, after the price dropped below $20,000 on Saturday. And Ether slipped below $1,000. The cryptocurrency selloff partly has been prompted by concerns—shared by stock traders—about inflation and the Federal Reserve's steps...
Economist Who Hates Crypto
Recasts a 'Moon' Prediction
Jun 14, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Economist Who Hates Crypto Recasts a 'Moon' Prediction
With market in free fall, Peter Schiff suggests a crash landing is coming
- The stock market f ell into a bear market on Monday, but as badly as stocks are getting hammered, the cryptocurrency sector is getting hammered even harder. The fallout continued Tuesday, as Coinbase—the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the US—announced it was cutting 18% of its workforce, reports the...
Wall Street Is Now
in a Bear Market
Jun 13, 2022 3:32 PM CDT
Wall Street Is Now in a Bear Market
Indexes, cryptocurrencies plunge worldwide
- Wall Street entered a bear market Monday as the S&P 500 sank 3.9%, bringing it more than 20% below the record high it set in January. Fears about a fragile economy and stubbornly high inflation have slammed the stock market in recent days and sent Treasury yields surging...
Coinbase to Users: You Could
Lose It All if We Go Bankrupt
May 12, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
Coinbase to Users: You Could Lose It All if We Go Bankrupt
But the company's CEO says there's 'no risk' of crypto exchange going bankrupt
- Coinbase, America's largest cryptocurrency exchange, holds around $256 billion in cryptocurrencies and traditional currencies—and it alarmed some users this week when it warned that those holdings could be lost if the company files for bankruptcy. The company said "the crypto assets we hold in custody on behalf...
'Buys the Dip!'
May 10, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Bitcoin Sinks, and One Nation Happily 'Buys the Dip!'
El Salvador, where the cryptocurrency is legal tender, has so far lost a lot of money on its bet
- By Bloomberg's count, the government of El Salvador has shelled out $103 million since last year to buy 2,301 Bitcoins. As of Tuesday morning, those crypto coins were worth about ... $74 million. That is a sub-optimal return on investment. But President Nayib Bukele, who led the successful push...
Biden Cryptocurrency Order
Seen as 'Watershed Moment'
Mar 9, 2022 3:29 PM CST
Biden Cryptocurrency Order Seen as 'Watershed Moment'
It's 'as close to an embrace of crypto as you could have hoped for,' analyst says
- The price of bitcoin surged Wednesday as President Biden signed an executive order on cryptocurrencies that the White House described as the first "whole-of-government approach to addressing the risks and harnessing the potential benefits of digital assets." In a statement , the White House, noting that an estimated 40...
Widow of Cryptocurrency CEO
Saw Her Own Riches Vanish
Feb 26, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Widow of Cryptocurrency CEO Saw Her Own Riches Vanish
Jennifer Robertson details the aftermath of Quadriga CEO Gerald Cotten's death
- Some of her late husband's friends messaged Jennifer Robertson on WhatsApp to ask why she hadn't told them he died, and to get details on where the funeral was. Except they weren't Gerald Cotten's friends. In a piece adapted for the Walrus from her book
Feds Seize Mind-Boggling
Sum After Crypto Hack
Feb 8, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Feds Seize Mind-Boggling Sum After Crypto Hack
It's the largest seizure of funds in DOJ history
- In 2016 around $71 million in bitcoin was stolen when the Bitfinex cryptocurrency exchange was hacked—and its value today is now around $4.5 billion. Federal investigators say they have now recovered $3.6 billion of that current value, the largest seizure of funds in Justice Department history, and...
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral
Damage' of Crypto Crash
Jan 26, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
Former first lady didn't scoop up as many tokens as hoped in auction of hat worn to greet Macron
- The crisp white Herve Pierre hat that Melania Trump wore to greet French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife at the White House in April 2018 went up on the auction block this month—along with a watercolor and NFT showing her wearing it—in the hopes that the entire...
Over Trash Bag
Cost a Fortune
Dec 12, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Their Miscom Over Trash Bag Cost a Fortune
James Howells is still trying to retrieve tossed hard drive with $500M in bitcoin
- James Howells' bitcoin plight has been in the news awhile, but the story grows harder to fathom as the value of the cryptocurrency rises. In 2013, Howells says he accidentally threw out a hard drive with the "key" to his stash of 7,500 bitcoins. By the time DT...
'Tremendous Victory' for Man
Who Says He Invented Bitcoin
Dec 7, 2021 8:32 PM CST
'Tremendous Victory' for Man Who Says He Invented Bitcoin
Business partner's family said Craig Wright owed them half of $50B fortune
- Craig Wright, a computer scientist who claims to be the inventor of Bitcoin, prevailed in a civil trial verdict Monday against the family of a deceased business partner that claimed it was owed half of a cryptocurrency fortune worth tens of billions. A Florida jury found that Wright did not...
2 Politicians Ask to Get
Their Paychecks in Bitcoin
Nov 5, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
2 Politicians Ask to Get Their Paychecks in Bitcoin
At least a payment or three, for Eric Adams and Francis Suarez
The mayor-elect for New York City wants to be paid in Bitcoin. Democrat Eric Adams has requested his first three checks be paid in the world's largest cryptocurrency once he takes over the mayoral post in January, the BBC reports. Adams' request was a move to outdo that...
$1M in Bitcoin
Nov 2, 2021 2:01 AM CDT
Aaron Rodgers Giving Away $1M in Bitcoin
The Green Bay Packers quarterback announces partnership with CashApp
- Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is investing in cryptocurrency in a big way. "I’m pumped to share that I’ve recently teamed with CashApp," he said in a video shared on Twitter on Monday, per Yahoo Sports . "They’ve enabled me to take part of...
ETF Launch Helps Push
Bitcoin to a New High
Oct 20, 2021 11:21 AM CDT
ETF Launch Helps Push Bitcoin to a New High
Cryptocurrency tops $66K
- Bitcoin jumped to a record Wednesday, topping $66,000 for the first time, as it rides a wave of excitement about getting further accepted by the financial establishment. Bitcoin was trading at $66,901.30, up 7.6%, as of 10:52am ET. It's roared back after sinking below...
He Allegedly Hid Devices Under
Floor at Work to Mine Bitcoin
Sep 13, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
He Allegedly Hid Devices Under Floor at Work to Mine Bitcoin
Christopher Naples accused of running up more than $6K in electric bills for Suffolk County
- A county employee in New York state is accused of stealing from the job, but with an oh-so-modern twist. Authorities in Suffolk County say IT supervisor Christopher Naples mined cryptocurrency on the job and ran up at least $6,000 in electric bills in the process, reports the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.